Raptors: the best defensive team in the East
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,917
Representing:
Default Raptors: the best defensive team in the East

LOL, yeah, funny, but true - of all the teams that have played so far this season, they've allowed the lowest point total.

On a more serious note - they've shown the ability to protect the paint pretty well. If only our guards were doing a more consistent job of closing out on three-point shooters - this team has all the potential to be quite good on D, for the first time in a long time, maybe ever.

And while zones won't work as well against better three-point shooting team than Phily, I loved the matchup zone they've played on and off last night. They've actually looked comfortable doing that!

Last edited by MikeToronto; 10-30-2008 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typos
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,300
Representing:
Default

Let's see where we are in this stat in a month.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

I agree Mike. Like I commented yesterday in the game thread, I've never seen this team take as many charges as it did. If you entered the paint and drove there was a body waiting to take the charge.

Also, even though we gave up too many rebounds, our on the ball defence when the other team recovered was superb. Hands were straight up and only occassionaly did J.O. or whomever leap up.

I would like to see Calderon though to a better job of making it tougher on the PGs. Too many times he relies on his bigs to bail him out, if he could just seal the player towards one of the side lines or base lines and NOT give him a way out we'd be a superb defensive team.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I agree Mike. Like I commented yesterday in the game thread, I've never seen this team take as many charges as it did. If you entered the paint and drove there was a body waiting to take the charge.

Also, even though we gave up too many rebounds, our on the ball defence when the other team recovered was superb. Hands were straight up and only occassionaly did J.O. or whomever leap up.

I would like to see Calderon though to a better job of making it tougher on the PGs. Too many times he relies on his bigs to bail him out, if he could just seal the player towards one of the side lines or base lines and NOT give him a way out we'd be a superb defensive team.
Roko is worse on defense, i've seen him play in Europe but Calderon is just average sometimes that's how team defense works. They don't want him to over commit and get in foul trouble.
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Fixed.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:35 PM   #6 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,024
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TO2988 View Post
Roko is worse on defense, i've seen him play in Europe but Calderon is just average sometimes that's how team defense works. They don't want him to over commit and get in foul trouble.
I wouldn't say he's worst on defense. He makes green mistakes but he plays very good defense. Hell, that 2nd quarter alone against Andre Miller, he made Miller look like an average player.

Roko has very good fundamentals. He makes rookie mistakes but his positioning and his knowledge of where the offensive player is in regards to his surroudnings is superior to Calderons.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:36 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,917
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Fixed.
Much appreciated.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,683
Representing:
Default

The shutting down of the paint, as well as opening up the paint some on the other end, we're nice changes to see.

It was a nice start, but someone please tell me what the hell Philly is doing on offense. The only real play I saw was when they got Brand the ball at the top of the key, and that happened what - twice? Dalembert hangs out behind the backboard until a shot goes up and then he darts into the paint for the rebound. This team is still all about transition and athleticism, and Brand doesn't really make an impact with that. And Toronto did a great job of keeping the transition game all but out of the equation.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 03:50 PM   #9 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,063
Representing:
Default

I like our team defense a lot. I think that if it was one on one defense we were talking about it wouldn't be too high but it was also good
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:26 AM   #10 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,595
Representing:
Default

well we played a team who didn't make 3s.
now GS is the opposite - they shoot a lot
lets see how they can handle that

and please no doubles
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:09 AM   #11 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

I would not get too excited about about many points Philly scored. They destroyed us on the glass something like 56-33. I think they thought it was Halloween on Wed because they were handing us the ball count them 17 t/o like it was candy. Philly just could not finish and that was the biggest differance. Our strength on defence will be our offence, we must continue to protect the ball. Only 9 t/o for us...that was outstanding. A win is a win however alot of work ahead of us. We played a very average game and we won. We are capable of being much better. Jose is the key to our offence and our defence. He directs traffic at both ends of the floor. You will see teams work him hard early. Jose finished with 5 PF if he plays more aggressive he will never finish the game.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:17 AM   #12 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

We won the game because of defense. It was the defense that kept us in it in the first quarter depsite the bazillion second chance points. It was the defense that forced 18 turnovers...
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:25 AM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

I dunno.

A lot has ben said about how Philly just didn't hit shots. To be honest, and to the Raptors credit, the inside defence has improved, Bosh, O'Neal, and Bargnani, with
moon creeping in there too, it's just very intimidating. A lot of the missed Philly shots were caused by good defence (minus Jermaine biting on Brands second up fake everytime, which is hard not to do when you're guarding a hulk of a PF). The outside shooting Philly was getting was scrambled, not set up. Iggy told the press that once they got thier touch they would show that they were the class of the East... as if they only lost as a result of thier own cold touch. No way. Toronto scrambled thier offence on them, they couldn't run anything consistantly enought o get thier shooters ready to shoot. Iggy himself had to pull off superstar moves just to get his shots.

Lets face it. The guards have to box out. That would take care of a lot of those rebounds, but Dalembert, and Brand, and Iggy, and the Pg there in Philly, they hit the glass hard, kudos to them. Toronto isn't in rebounding trouble, they just need to make a mental note to bare down a bit more.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:17 AM   #14 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,917
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
I dunno.

A lot has ben said about how Philly just didn't hit shots. To be honest, and to the Raptors credit, the inside defence has improved, Bosh, O'Neal, and Bargnani, with
moon creeping in there too, it's just very intimidating. A lot of the missed Philly shots were caused by good defence (minus Jermaine biting on Brands second up fake everytime, which is hard not to do when you're guarding a hulk of a PF). The outside shooting Philly was getting was scrambled, not set up. Iggy told the press that once they got thier touch they would show that they were the class of the East... as if they only lost as a result of thier own cold touch. No way. Toronto scrambled thier offence on them, they couldn't run anything consistantly enought o get thier shooters ready to shoot. Iggy himself had to pull off superstar moves just to get his shots.

Lets face it. The guards have to box out. That would take care of a lot of those rebounds, but Dalembert, and Brand, and Iggy, and the Pg there in Philly, they hit the glass hard, kudos to them. Toronto isn't in rebounding trouble, they just need to make a mental note to bare down a bit more.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The worst defensive team in the league! jj33 Toronto Raptors 0 12-07-2009 08:48 PM
Daily Spin: Raptors Could Be the Most Entertaining Team In the East Dr.Basketball Toronto Raptors 38 08-12-2009 06:02 AM
Triano Challenges Bosh to be all defensive team next year rapsmannn Toronto Raptors 44 05-28-2009 12:09 AM
Dwight, Kobe Headline All-Defensive Team Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 7 05-07-2009 02:50 AM
KG And Kobe Highlight All-Defensive Team Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 3 05-12-2008 03:34 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24