Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Position that most needs to be addressed on the court (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/position-most-needs-addressed-court-19697.html)

Claudius 03-16-2011 03:26 PM

Position that most needs to be addressed on the court
 
Draft/Trade/FA, which position could we use the most 'talent injection'?

Most will say PG, I'll say SF. Your best player should come from the SF/SG position (look at the succesful teams).

You examine ours and you see how important it is. More important that PG

surreyjack 03-16-2011 04:02 PM

PG, easily imo, although we don't have a true Center. You can tell how bad we need a creative PG when our offense stalls in the last quarter of close games.

We just need a SF that can hit the open 3's, and defend since AB plays like a SF.

Claudius 03-16-2011 04:06 PM

Question: Do Miami have a creative PG? Los Angeles? Hell, even Dallas?

While I think we need to upgrade the PG position, I don't think it's that dire. Yeah, CP3 is great, but N.O. have been mediocre. Utah was mediocre. Phoenix was close but Nash is in another stratosphere (or was).

Most top teams have creativity coming from the SG/SF position.

b55bgc 03-16-2011 04:09 PM

I would say we need a sg/sf as well. or maybe a true centre. Either way it needs to be a star player that demands double teams. We miss those open looks because of bosh's double teams.

Claudius 03-16-2011 04:11 PM

How many 'true' centres play in the league? I'd honestly stick someone like Amir there tbh. Give me an athletic C (think of Amare in Phx) with a back up who's a big body who can guard the D12's of the world.

RAPMAN 03-16-2011 04:15 PM

The team is a mess on the defensive end. Ed Davis and Amir Johnson will do a good job guarding the power forward position. James Johnson is a welcome addition for defense for the small foward position. Demar can improve on his defense. Its the lesser of two evils. Dribble penetration out of the point guard position or the low IQ, poor defensive-rotating, worst rebounding center in the league. Address the need at the center position.

b55bgc 03-16-2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 520315)
How many 'true' centres play in the league? I'd honestly stick someone like Amir there tbh. Give me an athletic C (think of Amare in Phx) with a back up who's a big body who can guard the D12's of the world.

True, maybe joey dosey

Don Vito 03-16-2011 04:21 PM

Honestly its a tossup between PG and SF. It all will boil down to how high of a pick we get, and which players are available. I don't see us drafting another big, we don't need one. If we need a big we should just trade or sign for one.

thought 03-16-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 520310)
Question: Do Miami have a creative PG? Los Angeles? Hell, even Dallas?

While I think we need to upgrade the PG position, I don't think it's that dire. Yeah, CP3 is great, but N.O. have been mediocre. Utah was mediocre. Phoenix was close but Nash is in another stratosphere (or was).

Most top teams have creativity coming from the SG/SF position.

on the same token, all the great teams have great big men. the lakers have pau, the celtics have garnett, the mavs have nowitzki, the spurs have duncan.

if you're happy with a big man rotation of ed davis, amir johnson and andrea bargnani (particularly this one) then it's not an issue. but i personally don't see this team ever winning a championship or even being relevant with andrea bargnani in a major role.

surreyjack 03-16-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 520310)
Question: Do Miami have a creative PG? Los Angeles? Hell, even Dallas?

While I think we need to upgrade the PG position, I don't think it's that dire. Yeah, CP3 is great, but N.O. have been mediocre. Utah was mediocre. Phoenix was close but Nash is in another stratosphere (or was).

Most top teams have creativity coming from the SG/SF position.

What about teams like Boston, and Chicago? All those teams are weakest at the PG position. I bet you all three have a new PG next season.

CP3 or D-Will would do wonders for this team. Utah sucks now, and NJ is playing 10x better. N.O isn't playing well because CP3 isn't playing at his full potential... Just look how good they were at the beginning of the season.

jeffb 03-16-2011 04:40 PM

Draft- PG or SF

Trade- Center

FA- PG or SF(depending on draft), Depth veteran that can shoot.

Claudius 03-16-2011 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thought (Post 520325)
on the same token, all the great teams have great big men. the lakers have pau, the celtics have garnett, the mavs have nowitzki, the spurs have duncan.

if you're happy with a big man rotation of ed davis, amir johnson and andrea bargnani (particularly this one) then it's not an issue. but i personally don't see this team ever winning a championship or even being relevant with andrea bargnani in a major role.

Oh hell no. Not even close. But I think you have something to work with in Davis. Not sure what, but he's something. I think if you nurture him as a true PF and have Amir backing him up I think your PF position is set.

C, well that's why I'm a proponent of bringing in Oden. It COULD be a big upgrade there but might not improve for awhile.

To me, when we roll out Weems, Johnson and Kleiza that's a horrendous position to be in with the SF position, possibly the worst in the league. I wouldn't say Jose is worse in the league.

Claudius 03-16-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreyjack (Post 520330)
What about teams like Boston, and Chicago? All those teams are weakest at the PG position. I bet you all three have a new PG next season.

CP3 or D-Will would do wonders for this team. Utah sucks now, and NJ is playing 10x better. N.O isn't playing well because CP3 isn't playing at his full potential... Just look how good they were at the beginning of the season.

The Lakers have Blake under contract and will likely bring him up as a starter. Miami, I don't know who they're gonna grab. They're likely stuck with Chalmers. Dallas is questionable as well.

Again, when CP3 is at his fullest, can you honestly say they're a championship team? I can't. New Jersy still isn't that good or at least haven't impressed me that much from watching them a few times.

Boston does well with Rondo but I'd really like to see Rondo on his own without Allen and Pierce there. Rose isn't the only reason for the Bulls doing well, I think Thibodeau has mentioned the importance of Deng playing well, again SF.

Again, if you look at the top teams in this league: San Antonio, LA, Miami, Boston, New York, Dallas, save for the spurs and celtics, you're looking at teams that are very strong on the wing specifically the SG/SF position.

Jose isn't that bad. He's fine. How many times do you hear here, oh he'd be good in Miami/LA. So, why upgrade a position that if we get elite talent, we'd be fine in?

TORaptor4Ever 03-16-2011 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thought (Post 520325)
on the same token, all the great teams have great big men. the lakers have pau, the celtics have garnett, the mavs have nowitzki, the spurs have duncan.

if you're happy with a big man rotation of ed davis, amir johnson and andrea bargnani (particularly this one) then it's not an issue. but i personally don't see this team ever winning a championship or even being relevant with andrea bargnani in a major role.

This.

So for me the choices would be C or SF (I do agree with Claudius' original post).

powerfulpanda 03-16-2011 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by surreyjack (Post 520330)
What about teams like Boston, and Chicago? All those teams are weakest at the PG position. I bet you all three have a new PG next season.

CP3 or D-Will would do wonders for this team. Utah sucks now, and NJ is playing 10x better. N.O isn't playing well because CP3 isn't playing at his full potential... Just look how good they were at the beginning of the season.

wrong. NO isn't playing well because they simply aren't that good. look at the preseason predictions and everyone did not have new orleans in the playoffs. CP3 just had them over-achieving this year. realistically speaking, u can't expect him to have his team play at the level they played at to start the season for the entire season. lebron is probably the one guy that can do that, and even that wasn't enuff in the playoffs.
if u look at NO's roster, its crap.
paul could be an MVP on a good team

LX 03-16-2011 04:56 PM

There are a ton of holes on this team. They just need the biggest influx of talent they can get and go from there.

JoeyJoJo Shabbadu 03-16-2011 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 520301)
Draft/Trade/FA, which position could we use the most 'talent injection'?

Most will say PG, I'll say SF. Your best player should come from the SF/SG position (look at the succesful teams).

You examine ours and you see how important it is. More important that PG

You're right AINEC

JoeyJoJo Shabbadu 03-16-2011 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 520333)
C, well that's why I'm a proponent of bringing in Oden. It COULD be a big upgrade there but might not improve for awhile.

You're wrong AINEC ;)

I wish it wasn't true but he's done. Nobody that big can withstand the punishment of an NBA schedule on bad knees. He's over. I can't think of another player that was relevant after so many knee surgeries, even at point guard weight.

rapsmannn 03-16-2011 05:21 PM

the good thing about having Derozan steping up is that he solidified another position

PG if we get Irving then obivously replace jose, if not jose is good enough
SG Derozan
SF, we have to add someone here no matter what, I prefer a defensive guy who can shoot the 3, Shane Battier type, kind of fill that role that AP did we we signed him in 06, a chemistry guy who plays hard and will get the team going the right way
PF Andrea Bargnani
C, defensive Big needed ala Tyson Chandler,

my ideal roster for next year

PG Irving
SG Derozan
SF Battier
PF Bargnani
C Chandler

Davis first big off the bench,
Calderon 6th man
J.Johnson,Kleiza,Amir, roster is 10 deep

most likely a 50 win team

the roster we'll most likely have next year

PG Jose
SG Derozan
SF Barnes
PF Davis
C Bargnani

a 35 win team maybe even a .500 ball club depending on the development of all the players in the starting lineup accept for jose because he has already peaked

thought 03-16-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 520333)
Oh hell no. Not even close. But I think you have something to work with in Davis. Not sure what, but he's something. I think if you nurture him as a true PF and have Amir backing him up I think your PF position is set.

C, well that's why I'm a proponent of bringing in Oden. It COULD be a big upgrade there but might not improve for awhile.

To me, when we roll out Weems, Johnson and Kleiza that's a horrendous position to be in with the SF position, possibly the worst in the league. I wouldn't say Jose is worse in the league.

you're right, but the PG position is also overrated by a lot of guys. not to say it isn't important because it is, and i think the PG serves a purpose, it's just not as significant to the overall success of the team as some people make it out to be. IMO a point guard is there to be a knock-down shooter and get the right guys the ball when they need it. jose does that. derek fisher is the worst starting point guard in the league (on paper) but he stays employed by a championship squad because he does those things well.

when was the last time a team carried by a superstar PG won? stockton and malone never won. payton and kemp. williams and boozer. paul and west. chicago could end up being the exception at some point in the next few years but the jury's still out.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24