Poll: Playoffs@Tank - Page 3

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Team
Team Playoffs 32 43.84%
Team Tank 41 56.16%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #41 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,108
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
That's your opinion not a fact, while I do agree that saying 7 is a stretch, because I have no way of proving it. You can't say 2 either for the same reason.
Imo Smart, Randle would be 1st overall on most drafts and Embiid, Exum, Gordon, 1-3rd
Sigh...if you base it on a scrub year there are more than 1. If you base it on a Lebron year there is one. If you base on on the average... you get the idea. No its not fact.. but where would I have ever said it was anything but opinion.

The best draft this century had 4 players that one could see going as number 1 overall (3 in other years without LBJ). Pretty sure I can state close to fact that 7 is really stretching it unless its a Bargs year we want to compare to.

2003 NBA draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


NBA Draft History | NBA.com

2nd Overall NBA Draft Picks

3rd Overall NBA Draft Picks

Edit; On another note... these show stunningly how often teams miss with a high pick most normal years!
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:36 PM   #42 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,199
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Sigh...if you base it on a scrub year there are more than 1. If you base it on a Lebron year there is one. If you base on on the average... you get the idea. No its not fact.. but where would I have ever said it was anything but opinion.

The best draft this century had 4 players that one could see going as number 1 overall (3 in other years without LBJ). Pretty sure I can state close to fact that 7 is really stretching it unless its a Bargs year we want to compare to.

2003 NBA draft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


NBA Draft History | NBA.com

2nd Overall NBA Draft Picks

3rd Overall NBA Draft Picks

Edit; On another note... these show stunningly how often teams miss with a high pick most normal years!

By saying most drafts I don't mean Lebron draft year. It's really hard to compare players who are in college with already drafted stars. I guess we are going to have to wait to find out how deep is this draft.
On the side note some scouts say that this draft is going to be better than Lebron's year. I personally doubt it, but time will tell
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #43 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Sigh...if you base it on a scrub year there are more than 1. If you base it on a Lebron year there is one. If you base on on the average... you get the idea. No its not fact.. but where would I have ever said it was anything but opinion.

The best draft this century had 4 players that one could see going as number 1 overall (3 in other years without LBJ). Pretty sure I can state close to fact that 7 is really stretching it unless its a Bargs year we want to compare to
Go back a page and see the post I made. The 2011 draft is a recent, good draft. Those 7 guys all had a good shot at no 1 overall.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #44 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,984
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
I made that assumption because that's the only way this team is making any kind of splash in the playoffs this year. If Masai chooses to go that direction over rebuilding, you're damn right that's detrimental to the future, which is exactly why he won't do it. Standing pat where we are is detrimental too, which is why he shouldn't do it either, if he's actually as good a GM as we believe.

According to you, Masai has a pretty funny definition of No Mans Land. Similarly, how do you know what Masai means when he says "winning culture". He could mean he wants to have a winning culture that is focused on winning championships, rather than winning 6th seeds. Plus, that was said right when he arrived here and his tone has changed since.
So it's detrimental if Masai follows any other path than the the one you want.

I think Masai's definition of No Mans Land could be seen in more than just one way, and anyone who see's it only one way is delusional.

The only place his tone has changed is in your mind. Your making assumptions about his tone, based on the belief that he's going to follow your agenda. I hope he turns out to be pure enough for you.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #45 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,724
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Jazz View Post
Jerry Sloan said once that single playoff series is more valuable for player development then regular season .
Yes! It's a process. Need to keep improving, need to keep getting better than the other teams. Need to keep pounding the .
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #46 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,023
Representing:
Default

jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:04 PM   #47 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
So it's detrimental if Masai follows any other path than the the one you want.
Yeah, that would be the reason I want him to follow that path.
Quote:
I think Masai's definition of No Mans Land could be seen in more than just one way, and anyone who see's it only one way is delusional.

The only place his tone has changed is in your mind. Your making assumptions about his tone, based on the belief that he's going to follow your agenda. I hope he turns out to be pure enough for you.
People using the most common meanings of terms and phrases are delusional...ok

Masai traded our most talented guy and a starter for bench parts, has openly said he likes a lot of the guys in the upcoming draft, has said we won't get caught in No Man's Land (and since we're not gonna mortgage the future in order to go up, which would be detrimental, that means we're on our way down). O wise one niggles, seer of thoughts, are those clear indications of a tank or is it just in my head?
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 PM   #48 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,984
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Yeah, that would be the reason I want him to follow that path.


People using the most common meanings of terms and phrases are delusional...ok

Masai traded our most talented guy and a starter for bench parts, has openly said he likes a lot of the guys in the upcoming draft, has said we won't get caught in No Man's Land (and since we're not gonna mortgage the future in order to go up, which would be detrimental, that means we're on our way down). O wise one niggles, seer of thoughts, are those clear indications of a tank or is it just in my head?
It's in your head.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 11:55 PM   #49 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
It's in your head.
Thank you for your insight, Nigglesdamus.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 12:22 AM   #50 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,191
Representing:
Default

It'd be nice to know who voted for which side, so when we win a game, and a poster who was on team tank changed their opinion based on one game can be outed and lose their fan card. I bet if we did this poll right before the Laker game, right after the trade happened, it'd be at least 75/25 in favor of the tank. The short sighted fans are truly lost.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 01:22 AM   #51 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,362
Representing:
Default

You guys been tanking too long. Stop fighting a war you cannot win.
Tanking is for losers, start being a winner.

Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #52 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
You guys been tanking too long. Stop fighting a war you cannot win.
Tanking is for losers, start being a winner.

Your Old Man and My Old Man - YouTube
Except this team never truly "tanked" in the BC Era. Not just about record but having young players play, not dealing picks away, not having contracts like LF or LKZ, dealing expiring contracts for longer contracts with picks attached, etc.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:25 AM   #53 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Except this team never truly "tanked" in the BC Era. Not just about record but having young players play, not dealing picks away, not having contracts like LF or LKZ, dealing expiring contracts for longer contracts with picks attached, etc.
And there's no need to TRULY "tank", because now we actually have a capable GM and not a used car salesman masquerading as one.

Acquire assets and let the chips fall where they may.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:41 AM   #54 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
And there's no need to TRULY "tank", because now we actually have a capable GM and not a used car salesman masquerading as one.

Acquire assets and let the chips fall where they may.
Whether you call it tank or not this team never did those things. Yeah and he still has to take care of his mess so it's not over.

Yeah - like not letting an expiring expire while gaining no asset whatsoever come this way. Also - selling high is important.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 02:56 AM   #55 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Whether you call it tank or not this team never did those things. Yeah and he still has to take care of his mess so it's not over.

Yeah - like not letting an expiring expire while gaining no asset whatsoever come this way. Also - selling high is important.
Have I argued otherwise?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:15 AM   #56 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Have I argued otherwise?
Never said you did or didn't.

Also - just curious - how do you suppose the raps acquire a PG for the future? Just your thoughts.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #57 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
Never said you did or didn't.

Also - just curious - how do you suppose the raps acquire a PG for the future? Just your thoughts.
The usual ways. Draft, trade or FA signing.

I'm perfectly content to see what Vasquez has to offer us though in the meantime. I have a good feeling about him.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 04:02 AM   #58 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,731
Representing:
Default

Doesn't option of signing Lowry long-term just stare in your face? No need to clear cap, no need to wait if and until new face meshes with the team. How many better PGs are available out there?

Edit: 2014 FA market will be busy. Many teams clear capspace and bidding for good players will be insane
I don't want to compete with that

Last edited by Shifty.py; 12-17-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:19 AM   #59 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
Doesn't option of signing Lowry long-term just stare in your face? No need to clear cap, no need to wait if and until new face meshes with the team. How many better PGs are available out there?
Being generous to KL, around 17
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #60 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,731
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
Being generous to KL, around 17
I mean available? As in being able to sign them for reasonable money or trade without giving away the farm?
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24