Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   otpp to buy td's stake in mlse (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/otpp-buy-tds-stake-mlse-20187.html)

'trane 05-10-2011 01:35 PM

otpp to buy td's stake in mlse
 
Quote:

The Ontario Teachers' Pension Plan has struck a deal to buy Toronto-Dominion Bank's stake in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, according to sources.

The decision will bring the pension plan's interest in the company close to 80 per cent.

The move is being made in an effort to streamline the sales process for MLSE, which continues.
Teachers to buy TD stake in Maple Leaf Sports - The Globe and Mail

jeffb 05-10-2011 01:45 PM

Good lord can they get this done already? It's not an easy or quick process, but I'm so tired of this shit.

Claudius 05-10-2011 01:47 PM

Tired, why are you tired? It JUST started with very few reports.

BballWatcher 05-10-2011 01:49 PM

Good move for the teacher's pension plan. Big market sports teams are very lucrative.

RAPMAN 05-10-2011 02:13 PM

With close to 80% stake of MLSE, the power has clearly shifted to OTPP. Does this mean the final good-bye to BC.

MikeToronto 05-10-2011 02:30 PM

I do not believe they will be making any personnel decisions, let alone such important ones, while looking to sell the team. Ideally, they should wait for the new ownership to either extend BC or let him go. Regardless, Raps are in a limbo, and potentially a long one, since I'd wait for the results of the NBA labour dispute before coming out with an offer...

But, BC will be drafting for the Raptors.

RAPMAN 05-10-2011 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 537573)
I do not believe they will be making any personnel decisions, let alone such important ones, while looking to sell the team. Ideally, they should wait for the new ownership to either extend BC or let him go. Regardless, Raps are in a limbo, and potentially a long one, since I'd wait for the results of the NBA labour dispute before coming out with an offer...

But, BC will be drafting for the Raptors.

Triano contract runs out June 15. Colangelo contract expires in late June. All the free agent signings and trades happen during the summer. If wait till new ownership comes in (whenever that happens), and no general manager signed, we will be out when all the activities happen during the off-season. We have a 9 million plus trade exception expring in July, free cap space to acquire a major free agent, and finally the trade of Andrea Bargnani.

MikeToronto 05-10-2011 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPMAN (Post 537582)
Triano contract runs out June 15. Colangelo contract expires in late June. All the free agent signings and trades happen during the summer. If wait till new ownership comes in (whenever that happens), and no general manager signed, we will be out when all the activities happen during the off-season. We have a 9 million plus trade exception expring in July, free cap space to acquire a major free agent, and finally the trade of Andrea Bargnani.

As far as I know, BC's contract runs through to the end of June. Triano's is not that important, although I wonder if it's also set to expire on July 1st - an important day for the NBA teams since that's when the players' contracts expire anyway.

But back to the management issues - this draft appears to be the last significant event still covered by the current CBA. Barring a miracle, the owners will lock out the players on July 1st, thus rendering the rest of your worries moot for quite a while, perhaps as long as a year. I am pretty sure MLSE has taken all this into account and so will any potential buyers.

Superjudge 05-10-2011 04:18 PM

Y'all are crazy if you want BC and Triano gone.

The argument for BArgnani is fair.

Ligeia 05-10-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 537583)
As far as I know, BC's contract runs through to the end of June. Triano's is not that important, although I wonder if it's also set to expire on July 1st - an important day for the NBA teams since that's when the players' contracts expire anyway.

Triano's contract definitely does not expire in July. Colangelo said in the year-end conference that they had to make a decision by the middle of June and I believe he declined to specify the exact date. Colangelo's contract expires June 30.

m5racer 05-11-2011 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 537588)
Y'all are crazy if you want BC and Triano gone.

The argument for BArgnani is fair.

:cookie:

RAPMAN 05-11-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 537583)
As far as I know, BC's contract runs through to the end of June. Triano's is not that important, although I wonder if it's also set to expire on July 1st - an important day for the NBA teams since that's when the players' contracts expire anyway.

But back to the management issues - this draft appears to be the last significant event still covered by the current CBA. Barring a miracle, the owners will lock out the players on July 1st, thus rendering the rest of your worries moot for quite a while, perhaps as long as a year. I am pretty sure MLSE has taken all this into account and so will any potential buyers.

I don't think it works that easily. So we have no general manager, coach and coaching staff signed starting July 1. So the OTPP owns 80% of MLSE, needs cash and want to ease the sale of MLSE by acquiring the sale of TD share. From the radio (FAN 590), the asking price for MLSE is 19 times their EBITDA (Earnings before Interest, Tax, Depreciation, Amortization) which is way too high. They have been on the block since late April. While in the meantime, it has been reported that David Stern and player union executive director Billy Hunter have been meeting in person recently, and added that the two have future meetings scheduled over the next couple of weeks. Something has to give, I think the decision on the General Manger position gets taken care of in late June or July instead of being ignored or delayed as per your opinion.

Leafhater 05-11-2011 02:01 PM

Cool. Now we've got a 20% greater chance of having our next GM selected by some random accountant.

Go Raptors!

MikeToronto 05-11-2011 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAPMAN (Post 537811)
I don't think it works that easily. So we have no general manager, coach and coaching staff signed starting July 1. So the OTPP owns 80% of MLSE, needs cash and want to ease the sale of MLSE by acquiring the sale of TD share. From the radio (FAN 590), the asking price for MLSE is 19 times their EBITDA (Earnings before Interest, Tax, Depreciation, Amortization) which is way too high. They have been on the block since late April. While in the meantime, it has been reported that David Stern and player union executive director Billy Hunter have been meeting in person recently, and added that the two have future meetings scheduled over the next couple of weeks. Something has to give, I think the decision on the General Manger position gets taken care of in late June or July instead of being ignored or delayed as per your opinion.

I am all in favor of retaining BC and so would be happy with your scenario, especially if it also means no lockout. We will see, though...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:14 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24