Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   OFFICIAL: Garbajosa Bought Out By Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/official-garbajosa-bought-out-raptors-2200.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 06-11-2008 11:08 AM

OFFICIAL: Garbajosa Bought Out By Raptors
 
I knew it ... as I predicted. ;)

It would seem as though that the Raptors are about the buy out the remainder of Jorge's contract according to Spanish media. :(

Bel, can you translate this for us please? :D

Links: Spanish radio station SER is reporting this

http://www.cadenaser.com/deportes/ar...srcsrdep_4/Tes

http://www.as.com/baloncesto/articul...asdasbal_6/Tes

fancylad 06-11-2008 11:11 AM

damn. i'm unhappy about this.

I mean if Garbo's ankle is really that bad, that i can't blame them, but i'm just unhappy about this whole situatuin.

Dr. J. Naismith 06-11-2008 11:18 AM

Its a shame if its true, but best for both parties to part ways now rather than prolong this whole ordeal. Hopefully Jose can remain positive through this too. :(

Acie 06-11-2008 11:28 AM

Doesn't suprise me one bit. ;)

XiaominWu 06-11-2008 11:31 AM

yah.... I never expected him to ever play at the NBA level again..... that's your basic career-ending injury.

Kirby 06-11-2008 11:44 AM

We're going to need another Spaniard to accompany Calderon.

MikeToronto 06-11-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlashDWade3 (Post 35056)
We're going to need another Spaniard to accompany Calderon.

What are we, Noah's Ark?

Dr. J. Naismith 06-11-2008 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 35060)
What are we, Noah's Ark?

:haha:

Belsius 06-11-2008 01:15 PM

Yeah, apparently jorge knows he wont be able to keep up for 82 games, so he thinks it is a better idea to play in a 50 game league. And apparently he will go to the Olympics as a way of showing himself to european teams. Too bad. Theres goes the reason I started watching the raptors....

Ill translate it in a little while.

Dr. J. Naismith 06-11-2008 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belsius (Post 35066)
Yeah, apparently jorge knows he wont be able to keep up for 82 games, so he thinks it is a better idea to play in a 50 game league. And apparently he will go to the Olympics as a way of showing himself to european teams. Too bad. Theres goes the reason I started watching the raptors....

Ill translate it in a little while.

So as long as Jose remains a Raptor that means we still have you as a fan then, right Belsius? What will happen if Jose's dealt this summer? Does that mean you'll find a new favourite team? :(

moremilk 06-11-2008 01:27 PM

that's sad ...

Belsius 06-11-2008 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith (Post 35067)
So as long as Jose remains a Raptor that means we still have you as a fan then, right Belsius? What will happen if Jose's dealt this summer? Does that mean you'll find a new favourite team? :(

nah dont worry, the reason I like the Raptors is because of their style, I would be really pissed if Calde left, not because he is spanish but because it would a stupid move. But I would still love the raptors as long as they keep the team play style. If Garba or Calde played in Denver I wouldnt like it.:guitar:

ClingRap 06-11-2008 01:49 PM

Yeah I never thought you to be one of those ethnocentric bandwagon hoppers Bel. :)

I for one am not happy about this. I wish he'd never had tried to block Al Jefferson's wide open dunk attempt. But that's wishing he wasn't Jorge.

jeffb 06-11-2008 03:02 PM

This sucks, but it's for the best and it sounds like Jorge agrees with the decision.So i think it's best for both parties. An unpleasent question is, does this help with cap space? :confused2:

Krazy Ivan 06-11-2008 03:18 PM

I have a bad knee... can Raps buy me out for million or two? :confused2:

Adequate Swag 06-11-2008 03:54 PM

I loved Jorge as much as the next guy, but from a basketball perspective this isn't as huge a blow as some will make it out to be.

We replaced some of what Jorge brought with Moon, and while Jamario's (still developing) basketball IQ may not be on the same level, his athleticism helps us in a lot of ways at the swing spot.

I love Jorge's hustle and his selfless play, and the role he played in Calderon's development I think was underappreciated. However, if this offseason (specifically trading TJ and drafting) goes as planned, he may not have been a key component to the squad regardless of the injury.

I hope he's healthy enough to continue playing at a high level in Europe though. His passion for the game is obvious when you watch him, and it would be a shame if he was forced to call it quite entirely before he's ready too.

Dr. J. Naismith 06-11-2008 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adequate Swag (Post 35092)
I loved Jorge as much as the next guy, but from a basketball perspective this isn't as huge a blow as some will make it out to be.

We replaced some of what Jorge brought with Moon, and while Jamario's (still developing) basketball IQ may not be on the same level, his athleticism helps us in a lot of ways at the swing spot.

I love Jorge's hustle and his selfless play, and the role he played in Calderon's development I think was underappreciated. However, if this offseason (specifically trading TJ and drafting) goes as planned, he may not have been a key component to the squad regardless of the injury.

I hope he's healthy enough to continue playing at a high level in Europe though. His passion for the game is obvious when you watch him, and it would be a shame if he was forced to call it quite entirely before he's ready too.

Well said Adequate and welcome to RF. :clapping:

I think the toughness and grit factor to Jorge's game is what Raptor fans missed the most last season hoping that his intensity would be contagious and rub off on the rest of our team. :(

Health is the number one factor and it would be hard for him to continue with the tough rigors of the NBA game and the 82 game schedule. If going home back to Europe and playing a shorter seasons suit him better then I wish him all the best. :(

Belsius 06-11-2008 04:54 PM

I think Jorge going may be the best thing for both parties. He wasnt going to find a lot of playing time. Apparently he has offers from other NBA teams so dont count out him yet. I actually think that he should try one more year in the NBA to see if he can handle it. If not he may regret it forever and he can go next year to Europe.

I wish he stayed in the Raptors though.

LX 06-11-2008 06:42 PM

Damn. Too bad. Enough can\'t be said as to how he helped transform this team. It was far too short.

moremilk 06-11-2008 08:15 PM

heh, who knows, maybe it\'s a ploy. Jorge bought out can go to a good team like SA for the minimum. In exchange, we get SA\'s 2nd round picks for cash or smth like that. Trading him straight up wouldn\'t work because of his salary.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24