The Official Bruno Caboclo Thread - Page 22

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: good or bad pick?
good 46 58.97%
bad 32 41.03%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #421 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,139
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Barbosa didn't tip off Masai. He tipped off PHX.

Masai already knew of Bruno from Basketball without Borders.
He tipped off PHX and based on that they wanted to draft him with no scouting, and no further info was needed
Tommy C is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:28 PM   #422 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,607
Representing:
Default

Here is an internview of the kidd..
nice to see him here, it makes you feel a bit better about the pic, even though personally I didn't mind it.. was just shocked a bit, but when we drafted Jonas I was pissed lol

http://www.nba.com/raptors/drop-box-...0628-bruno.flv

Last edited by creative1mm; 06-28-2014 at 02:31 PM.
creative1mm is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:30 PM   #423 (permalink)
LOG
Is sick and tired of Casey

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 10,689
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Wouldn't that make him a bad GM, or at least a poor one?
Well we were rebuilding so sucking should be expected, he did rush the rebuilding process, but it could have something to do with the fact that his contract was coming to an end he probably felt that mlse wants this team to be in the playoffs. I don't want to defend BC, but I don't know enough to outright say that he was terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
It's less of a challenge to draft well when you manage to keep your team in the lottery for a few years.
yea maybe but there are plenty examples of teams below us making bad picks over and over again. He did make some bad picks over the years, but had more good ones than bad. Again I have no intentions to defend BC

Last edited by LOG; 06-28-2014 at 02:34 PM.
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #424 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
He tipped off PHX and based on that they wanted to draft him with no scouting, and no further info was needed
I know it will break your heart, but PHX and others sent scouts as per D.A.


Last edited by niggles; 06-28-2014 at 02:47 PM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:37 PM   #425 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOG View Post
Well we were rebuilding so sucking should be expected, he did rush the rebuilding process, but it could have something to do with the fact that his contract was coming to an end he probably felt that mlse wants this team to be in the playoffs. I don't want to defend BC, but I don't know enough to outright say that he was terrible



yea maybe but there are plenty examples of teams below us making bad picks over and over again. He did made some bad picks over the years, but had more good ones than bad. Again I have no intentions to defend BC
Your post was clear about that. I didn't suggest he made bad picks, only that it's usually easier to pick well with higher draft slots.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:49 PM   #426 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,139
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
I know it will break your heart, but PHX and others sent scouts as per D.A.

So I guess an opinion that doesn't settle with your point of view is trolling. Good to know.
Tommy C is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #427 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,627
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

that instagram video gets me excited, looks like a more consistent shooter than giannis, comparing with other videos
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:52 PM   #428 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
So I guess an opinion that doesn't settle with your view is trolling. Good to know.
You post didn't state an opinion, it stated an assumption meant to provoke. That's trolling.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 02:56 PM   #429 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,261
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Hoops Hype Canada*@HoopsHype
CAFollowJoão F. Rossi, sports director of @Bruno_Caboclo former team, says 10 NBA teams scouted BC since June 16 Bruno Caboclo chega a Toronto para se apresentar à sua nova equipe | globoesporte.com #NBAdreams11:42 PM - 27 Jun 2014
.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:00 PM   #430 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,139
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
You post didn't state an opinion, it stated an assumption meant to provoke. That's trolling.
Assumptions can be made freely by all of us here. No one really knows what was discussed prior to the draft and during the draft. Also you don't expect MU to tell the media what exactly was in the playbook. I can also assume that he snatched BC at 20 since Ennis was gone and was hoping he could trade him with PHX + giving up another asset we have. Would that be trolling as well? It might be an assumption or an opinion. Nothing that I say here is meant to provoke.

btw means sarcasm

Last edited by Tommy C; 06-28-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Tommy C is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:19 PM   #431 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
Assumptions can be made freely by all of us here. No one really knows what was discussed prior to the draft and during the draft. Also you don't expect MU to tell the media what exactly was in the playbook. I can also assume that he snatched BC at 20 since Ennis was gone and was hoping he could trade him with PHX + giving up another asset we have. Would that be trolling as well? It might be an assumption or an opinion. Nothing that I say here is meant to provoke.

btw means sarcasm
That scenario would have been a legitimate possibility since none of us were in the draft room, so it's not trolling.

Saying that PHX drafted him without sending scouts and attaching the cookie as sarcasm, either means your being sarcastic about the possibility that other teams did scout Caboclo, or being sarcastic about other poster's assertions that they didn't. If it's the latter, I apologize.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:42 PM   #432 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,629
Representing:
Default

one reason he didn't move up the draft, he refused to do any workouts for teams because he was already promised by the raptors.

also saw his interview video, such a shy kid. happy for his success
omar36 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #433 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,139
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
That scenario would have been a legitimate possibility since none of us were in the draft room, so it's not trolling.

Saying that PHX drafted him without sending scouts and attaching the cookie as sarcasm, either means your being sarcastic about the possibility that other teams did scout Caboclo, or being sarcastic about other poster's assertions that they didn't. If it's the latter, I apologize.
Nope, I was being sarcastic and I do believe he was scouted like other prospects in the draft. I mean it would be foolish by teams not to take a look at players who put their names out there, and like I said it's not like I am mad about the pick, this kid is unknown and very raw, who knows how it will pan out. He might be really good or a bust, but I do believe like MU said that he was targeting Ennis at 20 and BC at 37, but since he other team were interested he decided to try and trade down with MEM and get the 22 to get BC. Now since Ennis was off the board he decided to just go ahead to take BC at 20. So if you think about it 22 or 20 doesn't really matter but I do believe BC was drafted higher than expected and with the names that we still had there time will tell if it was the right thing to do. I also believe that if we were able to pick Ennis and BC people were less upset over the pick altogether. I also believe that if Bledsoe signs with PHX we might be able to get a trade done, but they might put a ridiculous price tag on him just because they know how much MU wanted him.
Tommy C is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 04:27 PM   #434 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fröz-d View Post
General manager Masai Ujiri promised Bruno Caboclo that the Raptors would take him.- Source TSN

This makes me respect the pick and even more.

He gave the young man his word he would bring him here.
The kid obviously really liked Mu and Mu really like him.

Sometimes you've got to go with your heart and gut vs. stats & analytics.

Mu is building a family.
He is creating a culture of love and respect. I dig it.
Great post. Culture is huge imo. Just look at the nba champs...

Culture of hard-working, team ball playing, defence based guys who like each other is the way to make young players develop. Well, and to win games of basketball!
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:09 PM   #435 (permalink)
Dwaneball. That's how we roll...over

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 3,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
Nope, I was being sarcastic and I do believe he was scouted like other prospects in the draft. I mean it would be foolish by teams not to take a look at players who put their names out there, and like I said it's not like I am mad about the pick, this kid is unknown and very raw, who knows how it will pan out. He might be really good or a bust, but I do believe like MU said that he was targeting Ennis at 20 and BC at 37, but since he other team were interested he decided to try and trade down with MEM and get the 22 to get BC. Now since Ennis was off the board he decided to just go ahead to take BC at 20. So if you think about it 22 or 20 doesn't really matter but I do believe BC was drafted higher than expected and with the names that we still had there time will tell if it was the right thing to do. I also believe that if we were able to pick Ennis and BC people were less upset over the pick altogether. I also believe that if Bledsoe signs with PHX we might be able to get a trade done, but they might put a ridiculous price tag on him just because they know how much MU wanted him.
I think Masai would be aware of the leverage that he didn't have in those circumstances. At this stage, if he retains Lowry and Vasquez, & maybe Decolo, he could easily shelve pursuit of Ennis and wait until next years draft to draft another PG or go after an Ennis trade next year if he still had interest. Masai wouldn't try trading if the leverage is stacked against him.

BC was picked earlier than one might usually expect under normal circumstances, but evidence is surfacing that the circumstances were changing- jeff's post that 10 teams scouted BC since Jun 16th indicates the interest was accelerating rapidly. OTOH, the other players on the board at the time IMO wouldn't contribute as much or more than could be added next year through trades or shrewd FA signings and next year's draft is also going to be a good one. Masai knows it may be a stretch, but given the risk/reward possibilities he went for it. He also knows that if it doesn't work out, he owns it, and he's ready for that. But if it does work out, then the team will go up to the next level, have an even better future, and IMO the Raptors will start to become a FA destination.

I like the fact that in the interview's today, Masai is realistic and underselling any expectations about the pick. He's been particularly careful not to compare BC to anybody. And I really like BC's attitude from his answers.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:20 PM   #436 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,261
Representing:
Default


jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #437 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 1,629
Representing:
Default

is he impersonating wiggins speech from yesterday?
omar36 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 07:48 PM   #438 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,574
Representing:
Default

So Bruno cabocko will wear Number 5.
Bankiz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:18 PM   #439 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,261
Representing:
Default

Josh Lewenberg was on TSN 1050 and said the suns were asking for Ross in return for Ennis. Lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2014, 08:29 PM   #440 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,607
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Josh Lewenberg was on TSN 1050 and said the suns were asking for Ross in return for Ennis. Lol
That is funny, nice try PHX
creative1mm is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24