A new beast in the east!
Old 01-03-2012, 05:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default A new beast in the east!

Quote:
So far Bargnani is embracing the challenges set forth by his new coach, and is even happy to see a better defensive approach being employed.

“He’s going to make us work, that’s for sure, so we’re working pretty hard,” Bargnani says of Casey. “Work ethic is really important, and we’re putting in a lot of hard work on the defensive end. Defense is the focus of everything that we do, and that’s good because from my point of view, last year we were one of the worst defensive teams. The one thing we have to improve is our defense, so that’s what we need to do. I’m happy that we’re going to work to improve that, and we already have. We’re already better now than we were last year.”

More than ever before, Bargnani understands that a better defensive approach can make a huge difference for the Raptors as they look to redefine who they are as a team.

“We have to play with the same intensity every game. We have to try to have the mental toughness on the defensive end. That will give us the opportunity to compete . . .the defense will give us the ability to play against everybody, not just our offense. Against Indiana we only scored 11 points in the first quarter, but in the fourth quarter, against a very good team, we were there and we had the opportunity to win the game. We didn’t make it, but we were right there.”

Since then the Raptors have been in games midway through the fourth quarter before big pushes by the Dallas Mavericks and Orlando Magic put them away. After four games Bargnani is showing he might just evolve into the player the Raptors hoped he would become after Chris Bosh last. He poured in 30 points in Dallas and 28 in Orlando, grabbing seven rebounds in each contest and showing a marked improvement on the defensive end. Bargnani admits he learned a lot from Bosh, but is also quick to point out that Bosh wasn’t exactly a championship player for the Raptors.

“Chris is a great player, but we never won anything with him. I respect Chris a lot and I learned many things from him, but it’s not like we were coming from a championship run, or we were first in the Eastern Conference before he left. It’s not like Cleveland when they lost LeBron. They were the best team in the NBA and we didn’t even make the playoffs. We still need a winning mentality, and it’s not like we had one when Chris was here and now we have to rebuild. We never had it, and we have to get a winning mentality before we can hope to be a good team. I’m not saying Chris was bad. He was an All-Star and a great player, but it’s not like we were a great team and now we’re not any more.”
http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-2-a-new-beast-in-the-east

Bargnani getting some US love baby!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:29 PM   #2 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,619
Representing:
Default

Oh well, now he's better than Bosh.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,507
Representing:
Default

Quote:
“Chris is a great player, but we never won anything with him. I respect Chris a lot and I learned many things from him, but it’s not like we were coming from a championship run, or we were first in the Eastern Conference before he left. It’s not like Cleveland when they lost LeBron. They were the best team in the NBA and we didn’t even make the playoffs. We still need a winning mentality, and it’s not like we had one when Chris was here and now we have to rebuild. We never had it, and we have to get a winning mentality before we can hope to be a good team. I’m not saying Chris was bad. He was an All-Star and a great player, but it’s not like we were a great team and now we’re not any more.”


Alright, alright I'm done now.
Dark Knight is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 05:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,504
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

Quote:
Bargnani getting some US love baby!
Always feels good to get some respect from our neighbors
Dario is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #5 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,242
Representing:
Default

The trade value is skyrocketing!
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jimmy Butler IS The Phantom Menace.

Lackey
 
Ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,593
Representing:
Default

It's easy to get behind him for the flashes of greatness. But I want to keep my mouth shut about him having turned the corner because in the past, that has reverted back suddenly for long stretches.

Having said that, he'd be a pretty good asset when he's the 3rd option
as Colangelo wants to have it.
Ammo is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,619
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
The trade value is skyrocketing!
which means we'll hold onto him until he no longer has trade value. then we'll all sit aroung and curse BC for not moving him when his value was at it's highest.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,787
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
which means we'll hold onto him until he no longer has trade value. then we'll all sit aroung and curse BC for not moving him when his value was at it's highest.
yeah....pipe dreaming again....million times +1, Bargs is not going anywhere. At some point that will have to sink in
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,420
Representing:
Default

LOL @ Bargs subtly throwing Bosh under the bus. Classy.

We could have had Kobe here during the past 6 years and we still wouldn't have done shit because our team flat-out SUCKED (yes, including you Andrea) other than our one all-star.

40 wins with Bosh (which probably would have been more if not for the season-ending injury).

22 wins without him.

His value seems pretty clear to me.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,787
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
LOL @ Bargs subtly throwing Bosh under the bus. Classy.

We could have had Kobe here during the past 6 years and we still wouldn't have done shit because our team flat-out SUCKED (yes, including you Andrea) other than our one all-star.

40 wins with Bosh (which probably would have been more if not for the season-ending injury).

22 wins without him.

His value seems pretty clear to me.
What he said though is completely true.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:33 PM   #11 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,619
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
What he said though is completely true.
No shit. We had an all-star and not much else, which in turn throws himself under the bus.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,242
Representing:
Default

Yeah - he indicts himself, and Jay gets it again too. Kinda weird to go there. Maybe he is even slyly throwing BC under the bus.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #13 (permalink)
full of hope.

Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 415
Representing:
Default

Bargnani is playing very solid this season but im pretty sure he still has something left in the tank. When he's on fire, he's absolutely unstoppable.
On the offensive end he played some very impressive games and is clearly our first option there, since DeRozan's playing like Vince Carter in his older days.

Actually, Bargnani dissappears in nearly every 4. Quarter and thats a lil bit shocking. Against the Knicks he had such a great start with 5/5 and was the best player on the court and then...he was fuckin silent.

But overall he made some steps forward under Casey and im pretty sure, that he'll be better during the season and fix his scoring issues in those fourt quarters.

Yup, his trade value is the highest since we drafted him but we should keep him. He's too good and too cheap just to trade him for one or two pieces from crappy teams.
Raptor99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:48 AM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Guys.

Bargnani, if he even keep shalf this so called learning curve he's on is an effin NBA superstar in a year. So ya, his value goes up because he's VALUABLE.

Toronto lacks TALENT, has for years because all the money was in ONE player. Carter, then Bosh. Bargs makes 7 million less than Bosh did. His comments are the comments of a confident guy, I like them actually.

BUT

Talk is cheap, he needs to continue to work. He looked like a tourist against the Knicks on a few plays, so he aint anywhere close to out of the woods. You sure as shit dont trade him though....

Bargnani lacks two things. Defensive awareness, which seems to be improving, and rebounding tenacity. He can do everything else at an elite level. Who does Toronto have at that size that is even close? Davis....HAHAHA ya, no. Amir? Hmm... a bit better but still no. You need actual talent to win. So if your Pipe dream is to trade away your most talented asset to make room for a player who in Davis, mark my words, will never be more than a role player.... than by all means dream away, but I will sleep safely knowing that they are just that, dreams.

Only scenario that makes sense is Trading Bargnani to get a full on and proven superstar in the SG, C, or PG position, then get lucky and draft a PF in this draft that develops into the star he is projected to.

That scenario guys.... is the type of pipe dream you should have I guess. But it's a really, really tough to see it happening, so many things have to go right.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,787
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Guys.

Bargnani, if he even keep shalf this so called learning curve he's on is an effin NBA superstar in a year. So ya, his value goes up because he's VALUABLE.

Toronto lacks TALENT, has for years because all the money was in ONE player. Carter, then Bosh. Bargs makes 7 million less than Bosh did. His comments are the comments of a confident guy, I like them actually.

BUT

Talk is cheap, he needs to continue to work. He looked like a tourist against the Knicks on a few plays, so he aint anywhere close to out of the woods. You sure as shit dont trade him though....

Bargnani lacks two things. Defensive awareness, which seems to be improving, and rebounding tenacity. He can do everything else at an elite level. Who does Toronto have at that size that is even close? Davis....HAHAHA ya, no. Amir? Hmm... a bit better but still no. You need actual talent to win. So if your Pipe dream is to trade away your most talented asset to make room for a player who in Davis, mark my words, will never be more than a role player.... than by all means dream away, but I will sleep safely knowing that they are just that, dreams.

Only scenario that makes sense is Trading Bargnani to get a full on and proven superstar in the SG, C, or PG position, then get lucky and draft a PF in this draft that develops into the star he is projected to.

That scenario guys.... is the type of pipe dream you should have I guess. But it's a really, really tough to see it happening, so many things have to go right.
I completely agree with all the points. I'll stand by what I've been saying for a long while, Bargs is not going anywhere and next year we are going to see a JV/AB front court and those 2 are going to compliment each other very very well imo. We have 3 positions set in JV/AB/DD, still, I like Barnes in this draft as I feel he'll be in the range of where the Raps' pick will land. That leaves a hole at PG but honestly, I'm a JC fan and believe with him there the team has time to find one for the future.

If anything the team should trade Davis: cause if he keeps playing the way he is his stock is going to plummet.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:48 PM   #16 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,524
Representing:
Default

I have no issue with what Bargs stated above ... It's the truth. We weren't that good with Bosh and I don't blame him. BC has been the main problem with his focus on offense and not establishing a culture to build on. He tried to bring in a couple of names. .. O'Neal and Turk and it set us backwards.
He has finally hired a coach who hopefully has enough balls to tell BC to f__k off. Maybe BC finally gets it .. He's pretty young ..
Carlito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24