NBA.com: As season wears on, some coaches already feeling the heat

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 08:20 AM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,854
Representing:
Exclamation NBA.com: As season wears on, some coaches already feeling the heat

Quote:
Jay Triano, Raptors
This is one of the five most difficult coaching spots in the league, only because the truly great players don't want to play in Canada. Toronto couldn't even keep Chris Bosh. The Raptors' only options, then, are to get lucky in the Draft or import some foreign players whose view of Canada is the exact opposite of that held by most American players. If the Raptors grab the final playoff spot in the East, then Triano is safe. If they don't, then look at the bright side: They're positioned to get lucky in the lottery.
LINK - NBA.com
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Crpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: RaptorLand
Posts: 545
Representing:
Default

There is no reason to waive Jay Triano. We're a Young team, with some injuries, and we have not a lot of big names... The record is good for what we got IMO.
If he leaves now, that's some rambling management from BC.
Why not have done that at the end of 08-09 or 09-10 season...
If he leaves now, BC also has to go ...
Crpe is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)
threes and free throws

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,144
Representing:
Canada Sick of this garbage 'journalism'

So I'm on NBA.com, checking out the daily articles, and what am I greeted with? Another steaming load of biased assumptions and ignorant misconceptions about Canada. Here's the offending paragraph in question, it is in regards to head coaches who are on the hot seat this season:

"This is one of the five most difficult coaching spots in the league, only because the truly great players don't want to play in Canada. Toronto couldn't even keep Chris Bosh. The Raptors' only options, then, are to get lucky in the Draft or import some foreign players whose view of Canada is the exact opposite of that held by most American players. If the Raptors grab the final playoff spot in the East, then Triano is safe. If they don't, then look at the bright side: They're positioned to get lucky in the lottery."

I sincerely hope everyone who just read that was as pissed off as I was. I don't even really feel like deconstructing the whole things because 1. that would just waste more of my time on this ludicrous crap and 2. I would just be preaching to the choir. All I'm going to point out is this; that paragraph has four sentences in it and three of them are a slap right in the fucking face of Canadians and of journalistic integrity.

What upsets me the most about this shit is that it's right on the front page of the official NBA website, that it's by an official NBA.com columnist, that the site editor thought that it was perfectly acceptable to publish and lastly that by virtue of the previous facts, they're not only legitimizing this viewpoint but propagating it as well.

I'm sick of this treatment, I know many of you are sick of it and Raptors employees and Toronto sports columnists are becoming increasingly more noticeably sick of it. We need to start a serious initiative to combat this kind of, what I can only describe as fucktardism, because it's insulting to me as a Canadian and it's hurting our team and our organization.

As for myself, I'm going to be writing a message to NBA.com (which you can do here: NBA.com - Send an E-mail to the League Office) and an email to Shaun Powell, the contributor in question (which you can do here powellnba@aol.com). I'm also thinking about contacting everyone from the MLSE, to the Raptors organization, to Toronto-based sports media like The Score (I'd love to see the Basketball Jones take on this), including particular individuals like Eric and Doug Smith. We need to raise as much hell and inform as many influential groups/people about this garbage as possible and not stop until there is a formal apology and retraction on the front page of the NBA website.

Any support, suggestions or help organizing our response to achieve this goal would be appreciated.

The only way to stop this is to speak up and make yourself heard.

Here's the link to the entire article: As season wears on, some coaches already feeling the heat | NBA.com
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 77,825
Representing:
Default

Oh don't worry, you'll get a couple comments that resemble "what's the big deal, it's true" or "I don't see the problem".
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,758
Representing:
Default

interesting that you wrote such a long post about being insulted by what people write and in it used a word like 'fucktardism'. impressive credibility fail dude.

and he's probably correct about every one of those sentences.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
a paranoid android

My name is Iigo Montoya

 
Belsius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Madrid, Spain
Posts: 10,546
Representing:
Default

I dont think it was a knock at Canada, I think its pretty fair and in a way theres a subtle point of admiration.
Belsius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #7 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

There was already a thread about this article so i merged the two.

.... and i'll just say that a lot of NBA superstar types don't want to play in Toronto. For some the fact that is in Canada IS a factor. You can't deny that. It was a factor (however big or small) for Chris Bosh. For others, and i suspect the bigger portion, is that superstar type players don't want to play for a loser organization which on the surface is pretty much what the Raptors are. People want to play for a winner - something we pretty much never have been.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #8 (permalink)
Nyall2009
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
There was already a thread about this article so i merged the two.

.... and i'll just say that a lot of NBA superstar types don't want to play in Toronto. For some the fact that is in Canada IS a factor. You can't deny that. It was a factor (however big or small) for Chris Bosh. For others, and i suspect the bigger portion, is that superstar type players don't want to play for a loser organization which on the surface is pretty much what the Raptors are. People want to play for a winner - something we pretty much never have been.
You're missing the point.. What the poster is trying to convey is that the NBA is not at all fair to the Raptors, as a league should be to all it's teams. How are the Raptors supposed to grow and get good players if the own league itself, takes a shot at the damn team every chance it gets and when the Raptors do something impressive give the team as minimum credit as possible.

What's even funnier, aren't these the same set of clowns which were so high and mighty in the summer with their ridicule and how they thought we would be one of the worst team's ever and would even challenge for the worst ever record? If those were their expectations, and we've pretty much passed it shouldn't Triano be lauded right now? Why should he be on a list of 5 coaches under fire when: 1) He has done more than they were expecting him to do and 2) and IMO, most importantly, there are more than 5 teams that are worse than us, record wise despite having better players..

I don't care if it's true, Toronto could be the worst franchise in all of professional sports, the same way your fat and ugly aunt that you see at Christmas could be one of the most grotesque creatures on the face of this earth. Yet you would, never call her ugly or fat to her face, and the NBA shouldn't do the same to the Toronto Raptors. Considering all we've been through, we as a franchise deserve much more than that.

Last edited by Nyall2009; 12-29-2010 at 10:27 AM.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #9 (permalink)
... the last tank got us Bargs

Member
 
emarshall2827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Burlington!
Posts: 374
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyall2009 View Post
... how they thought we would be one of the worst team's ever and would even challenge for the worst ever record? If those were their expectations, and we've pretty much passed it shouldn't Triano be lauded right now?
seriously ... and 'they' now expect the Raptors to perform better than they did last season with an alleged superstar?
emarshall2827 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #10 (permalink)
threes and free throws

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,144
Representing:
Default

@'trane: Perhaps "fucktardism" wasn't the best choice of words, but the only thing I fail at here is failing to see how my use of it counters the credibility of my point. And if you honestly believe those things are true, you may as well stop watching the Raps because in that case we have no place in the NBA.

@Belsius: You're being sarcastic, right?

@fancylad: Which superstar players have ever said that? Because I'm pretty sure it's none, and outside of explicit statements you can't prove what thoughts bounce around in people's heads. In fact, the only example I can think of is Steve Francis and that was Vancouver. And you just made the mistake that is partially responsible for this entire notion of players not wanting to play in Canada; you conflated a losing team with Canada (or Toronto) as a whole.

I have to say I'm really surprised and a little disappointed that three moderators just completely missed my point.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:50 AM   #11 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikid View Post
@fancylad: Which superstar players have ever said that? Because I'm pretty sure it's none, and outside of explicit statements you can't prove what thoughts bounce around in people's heads. In fact, the only example I can think of is Steve Francis and that was Vancouver. And you just made the mistake that is partially responsible for this entire notion of players not wanting to play in Canada; you conflated a losing team with Canada (or Toronto) as a whole.
.
Bosh used the lack of exposure in USA as a reason why he wanted out. However big or small a factor that played, it was a factor nonetheless. He kept on bringning up ESPN and American exposure ad nauseum after he signed with Miami. Remember the long winded interview about how toronto was different and it wasn't like home or whatever... and how he lied about not being able to get league pass? McGrady has long gone on about the tax situation / problem here. Now however misguided he may be, it was still a factor for him. Steve Francis like you mentioned was the most obvious one, but lets remember guys that were traded here that refused to show up, guys that refuse to get traded here and so on. All i am saying is that "playing in Canada" has been a factor in some cases in the team's past. It simply has been and to deny it is pulling the wool over your own eyes. Not that i Freaking like it! of course it has been a pain in the ass, but it is what it is.

And i'd like to know how pointing out that the Raptors have been a badly run team, mired in losing for most of their existance is related to them being in toronto. I never said it was. I said that being a bad team is the MAIN reason as to why marquee players don't want to play here. Same as to why you don't see a list of superstars lining up to join the Clippers. Not sure why you are accusing me of the opposite of what i was trying to say.

As to 'missing your point', i didn't miss it per se. This is also directed to Nyall: You are both right. I agree with you in principle, but this shit has been going on for 15 years, so i just refuse to get worked up over something we have little control over. i guess over the years of following this team i have gotten numb to the American media's treatment our team. A few years ago i would be shaking my fist along side you, but over time i have been hardened my friend. Hardened to the point were all i can do is let out a 'meh.'
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Bosh used the lack of exposure in USA as a reason why he wanted out. However big or small a factor that played, it was a factor nonetheless. He kept on bringning up ESPN and American exposure ad nauseum after he signed with Miami. Remember the long winded interview about how toronto was different and it wasn't like home or whatever... and how he lied about not being able to get league pass? McGrady has long gone on about the tax situation / problem here. Now however misguided he may be, it was still a factor for him. Steve Francis like you mentioned was the most obvious one, but lets remember guys that were traded here that refused to show up, guys that refuse to get traded here and so on. All i am saying is that "playing in Canada" has been a factor in some cases in the team's past. It simply has been and to deny it is pulling the wool over your own eyes. Not that i Freaking like it! of course it has been a pain in the ass, but it is what it is.

And i'd like to know how pointing out that the Raptors have been a badly run team, mired in losing for most of their existance is related to them being in toronto. I never said it was. I said that being a bad team is the MAIN reason as to why marquee players don't want to play here. Same as to why you don't see a list of superstars lining up to join the Clippers. Not sure why you are accusing me of the opposite of what i was trying to say.

As to 'missing your point', i didn't miss it per se. This is also directed to Nyall: You are both right. I agree with you in principle, but this shit has been going on for 15 years, so i just refuse to get worked up over something we have little control over. i guess over the years of following this team i have gotten numb to the American media's treatment our team. A few years ago i would be shaking my fist along side you, but over time i have been hardened my friend. Hardened to the point were all i can do is let out a 'meh.'
well said alonzo mourning wouldve been good in a raps jersey if he decided to show up boshs comments about league pass piss me off if i get tickets when the heat visit the raps im gona boo the hell out of him the way he left toronto really upset me because of his ridiculous comments (and other superstars on nba teams probably believe the league pass boulshit he talked about)
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 77,825
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikid View Post
@'trane: Perhaps "fucktardism" wasn't the best choice of words, but the only thing I fail at here is failing to see how my use of it counters the credibility of my point. And if you honestly believe those things are true, you may as well stop watching the Raps because in that case we have no place in the NBA.

@Belsius: You're being sarcastic, right?

@fancylad: Which superstar players have ever said that? Because I'm pretty sure it's none, and outside of explicit statements you can't prove what thoughts bounce around in people's heads. In fact, the only example I can think of is Steve Francis and that was Vancouver. And you just made the mistake that is partially responsible for this entire notion of players not wanting to play in Canada; you conflated a losing team with Canada (or Toronto) as a whole.

I have to say I'm really surprised and a little disappointed that three moderators just completely missed my point.
What does being a moderator have to do with missing or not missing ones point?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,758
Representing:
Default

the point was not missed. it was disagreed with. on several fronts.

-it is tough to coach in toronto because it is tough to get good players here via free agency.
-we couldn't keep bosh
-our best bet is luck in the draft and international free agent signings.
-if we don't make the playoffs, we have a better chance in the lottery.
-triano's job may not be safe.

there is nothing even slightly wrong about any of that. you're making the same point that has been made here countless times. i understand it, and i reject it. in this case the writer is correct, and he didn't have to use a ridiculous word like fucktard to make his point. and it concerns credibility because you set out to show that you were insulted as a canadian and all you really did was to make another insult without having anything valid to say. thus a credibility fail.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,042
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

I do disagree with his claim that it's tough keeping players in Toronto as both VC and Bosh have resigned with us in the past and both had played 7 years here.

Really, I'd argue the only marquee player we lost right away after drafting him was Tracy.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,758
Representing:
Default

i think he's making the point more about free agent signings. the financial incentives to resign with your team after your rookie deal expires are very strong, and clearly we have capitalized on that. but free agent signings have been next to nothing besides hedo, who is an international player and was a complete failure.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:03 PM   #17 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,042
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
i think he's making the point more about free agent signings. the financial incentives to resign with your team after your rookie deal expires are very strong, and clearly we have capitalized on that. but free agent signings have been next to nothing besides hedo, who is an international player and was a complete failure.
Mark Jackson who was coming off a great playoff run.

But how many teams really hit it big in Free Agency?

The biggest moves I can think in the NBA were this past year with Stat, Bosh and LeBron leaving. Nash leaving for Dallas. Boozer leaving Utah. Grant Hill leaving Detroit and Tracy leaving Detroit. Odom to Miami. Brand leaving LA.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,758
Representing:
Default

ok, i stand corrected... we got mark jackson.

and that doesn't make him wrong that it is tough to coach here because we have a tough time attracting good players. we do, and it is tough to coach here. and we tend to fire everyone pretty damn quick.

Last edited by 'trane; 12-29-2010 at 01:33 PM.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,854
Representing:
Default

I'd hardly call overpaying and giving a 35 year old Mark Jackson a multi-year deal a free agency coup.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 02:54 PM   #20 (permalink)
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,525
Representing:
Default

I definitely think firing Triano is the right move. I mean, think about the pieces we have here. This is easily a 60-win team that's built for both regular season dominance, and for sure the playoffs. Nobody can match up with us. We can go fast, we can go slow, we can turn the ball over 10 times in a single quarter if we want to...

Let's bring in a rookie head coach to replace him too - that always works out well.
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:45 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24