Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   National Post: Welcome to Toronto, the City of Losers (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/national-post-welcome-toronto-city-losers-10881.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 10-15-2009 12:50 PM

National Post: Welcome to Toronto, the City of Losers
 
Sad, but so true. Hopefully the Raptors can change that this season. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by National Post
Perhaps the curse was conjured by a not-so-peace-loving tree-hugger in an ashram on a mountainside out West, over a bowl of goat’s milk, homemade granola and wild blueberries. Or maybe the curse was born in a sidewalk caf in Montreal, conceived by two men clad in Maurice Richard sweaters. Or maybe it started right here, in the centre of the Canadian universe, in the big city Canadians love to hate.

But Toronto is cursed. That much is true, because there is no other way to explain what is going on in a town where four of its professional sports franchises, in four different professional sports, are all treading in hopelessly pathetic territory at precisely the same time. Only an angry old God could be capable of calling down the biblical-style drought Toronto’s teams and, more importantly, their fans, are suffering through.

Source - Welcome to Toronto, the city of losers - Posted Sports

Superjudge 10-15-2009 12:53 PM

Funny, I was actually thinking the same thing the other day.

What the fuck.

Toronto sucks.

All teams.

They all suck.

SoGood 10-15-2009 01:00 PM

to be fair, the raptors looks like they have the most promise
let them play some games before making judgement.

but yea, Jays and Argos are horrible and Leafs are bottom feeders so far...

Dann38 10-15-2009 01:03 PM

Didn't the Toronto Nationals win the outdoor lacrosse championship?
City of losers my ass!!

brothersteve 10-15-2009 01:05 PM

Lame, very lame! :yawn:

Sure this wasn't a comedy piece? :confused2: That was the NP trying to write a sports article. :haha:

Or was it yet another Leafs' fan wallowing in self pity? :sigh:

Or is it Toronto sports is the center of the universe and its impossible to imagine that the sun isn't shining out of the CN Tower each and every day?:willy_nilly:

Yes Toronto is cursed - that's why we don't have the US recession and plummeting housing prices - Don't let the Leafs bring you down. :mischief:

lol

MangoKidHoops 10-15-2009 01:11 PM

:yawn:

Chances are, if you're not from Toronto or from the area, you hate the place.

fancylad 10-15-2009 01:23 PM

People from other parts of Canada really do hate Toronto btw. It's totally true. Especially western Canada.

As for the subject matter, it really is pretty shocking just how bad the Leafs and Jays are. Add TFC and the Argos and yeah - outside of basketball, the pro sports scene is abysmal.

Windex 10-15-2009 01:51 PM

The Argos recently went to and won a Grey Cup
Jays have won 2 world series titles, Montreal 0
Raptors are going up
TFC is relatively new
Leafs suck
Toronto Nationals won the outdoor lacrosse championship

most cities are in the same situation and we don't have the luxury of have two teams in each sport

MikeToronto 10-15-2009 02:18 PM

Let me be a voice of reason for a change: by far, not everyone is a sports fan. ;)

So, for a sports writer or for one of us, that article's attempt at lamentation actually makes a remote kind of sense. For a majority of people in this city or out of it, "mundane" issues of jobs, car payments as such far outweigh anything sports-related.

MangoKidHoops 10-15-2009 02:21 PM

Toronto really isn't that bad when it comes to their sporting franchises. Just like what fancy said - people from Western Canada really do hate Toronto. People from out west take pride in having a hatred for Toronto. Shit, people from Ontario (outside the GTA) hate Toronto. There are a lot of other markets in worse condition. Shit.. look at Milwaukee. Look at Buffalo. Look at Seattle. Look at Houston. Look at Dallas. Look at Washington...I could go on and on... Right now, the only places with a lot of success are Los Angeles, Boston, Philadelphia and New York.

MikeToronto 10-15-2009 02:23 PM

And about "everyone in Canada hates Toronto" thing... Do we care? ;)

I mean, you can't please everyone.

fancylad 10-15-2009 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Windex (Post 250717)
The Argos recently went to and won a Grey Cup
Jays have won 2 world series titles, Montreal 0
Raptors are going up
TFC is relatively new
Leafs suck
Toronto Nationals won the outdoor lacrosse championship

most cities are in the same situation and we don't have the luxury of have two teams in each sport


I think the rational behind all of the negativity is that while the different suck as badly as they do, what makes matters worse is that there is no light at the end of the tunnel or most of them.

The Leafs, the Jays, Argos: all look like they will continue to suck for a LONG time into the future.

I omit TFC because with real grass coming next year, i believe this will be a big step in improving the quality of play and the desire for players to want to come to Toronto. Given a proper coach this team with the current players should be much much better than they are now.

But yeah - the rest of them... they ain't getting any better for a while! Hence the doom and gloom.

MangoKidHoops 10-15-2009 02:25 PM

Fancy, I saw on ebay that people are selling off their tickets for this weekend's game for really cheap. I thought about purchasing a pair for a second, but then again, it's supposed to be 7C on Saturday - probably colder at BMO - that nixed the deal.

LX 10-15-2009 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fancylad (Post 250712)
People from other parts of Canada really do hate Toronto btw. It's totally true. Especially western Canada.

As for the subject matter, it really is pretty shocking just how bad the Leafs and Jays are. Add TFC and the Argos and yeah - outside of basketball, the pro sports scene is abysmal.

As a former westerner, allow me to correct you slightly. The hate is not for Toronto. If anything there is indifference as far as this place goes. What they hate is how they get force fed the idea of Toronto's importance at every turn for every second of every day, how Toronto and Montreal get favored treatment from any sitting government, and how obsessed the people they meet from Toronto are with everything Toronto.

And having travelled the whole country fairly extensively, I feel pretty confident in saying that the complaining and self-pity is exclusively a Toronto thing.

Bob McCowan was going on about the same thing the other day. He went on a rant over how Toronto fans will wail away over how they want the apple instead of the orange, and then when they get the orange they rise up and scream - "what the hell was wrong with the apple". He also finds it to be a unique feature here.

lonewolfpoet 10-15-2009 02:33 PM

I don't understand this idea bouncing around "everyone hates Toronto". I wasn't born in Toronto not even the GTA. I also lived out west for four years long before I moved to Toronto and I never heard anybody saying anything bad about Toronto although I noted a lot of Blue Jay fans. I never hated Toronto.

I don't understand why there is such a big hate-on for Toronto now, if there is in reality, maybe somebody could explain it. I mean if anything people outside of Toronto should be thanking them; whose tax dollars do they think are supporting their infrastructure, certainly not their own. If Toronto was suddenly destroyed or vanished the rest of the province would get a very big wake-up call financially.

Hatdy 10-15-2009 02:34 PM

This is similar to what I heard on the Casino Rama Grill Room show and the guys on that show said that Raps will get slaughtered in the playoffs, no confidence at all. Plus the Raptors looks like they have the most promise to make something happen this year unlike other Toronto Teams.

lonewolfpoet 10-15-2009 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 250741)
As a former westerner, allow me to correct you slightly. The hate is not for Toronto. If anything there is indifference as far as this place goes. What they hate is how they get force fed the idea of Toronto's importance at every turn for every second of every day, how Toronto and Montreal get favored treatment from any sitting government, and how obsessed the people they meet from Toronto are with everything Toronto.

And having travelled the whole country fairly extensively, I feel pretty confident in saying that the complaining and self-pity is exclusively a Toronto thing.

Bob McCowan was going on about the same thing the other day. He went on a rant over how Toronto fans will wail away over how they want the apple instead of the orange, and then when they get the orange they rise up and scream - "what the hell was wrong with the apple". He also finds it to be a unique feature here.

Bob McCowan is an ass and if you give them the orange when they want the apple what do you expect? lol

LX 10-15-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lonewolfpoet (Post 250745)
Bob McCowan is an ass and if you give them the orange when they want the apple what do you expect? lol

Yeah - I fucked it up, but you know what I meant. No matter what anybody's opinion of him might be, it's hard to discount his intimate knowledge of Toronto fans.

lonewolfpoet 10-15-2009 02:55 PM

You mean his egotistical, know-it-all self-proclamation that he know's Toronto fans, yeah I have heard that too, from him. Anyone who has watched tv has heard that, but does he really know the fans? NO, not really.

Windex 10-15-2009 03:01 PM

Its just big city hate that happens everyone
a lot of people outside NYC or LA dislike the city
and England with London


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24