My biggest problem with DeRozan - Page 3
Old 02-15-2012, 11:25 AM   #41 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

I think he's going to be a solid player, and his next contract will look much better as a result!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:26 AM   #42 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,724
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
I think he's going to be a solid player, and his next contract will look much better as a result!
word. it wouldn't be a bad thing having two Bargnani contracts on our squad.

forget expiring contracts...we build cap flexibility through amassing Bargnani contracts.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM   #43 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,903
Representing:
Default

Trade Deadline March 15
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #44 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,799
Representing:
Default

The other thing I don't like is DeMar never takes it apon his self to guard the best perimeter play on opposing teams...

Example: Shumpert guarded Jose in the 4th to shut down Jose.
& DeRozan did nothing to help.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:50 AM   #45 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,724
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
The other thing I don't like is DeMar never takes it apon his self to guard the best perimeter play on opposing teams...

Example: Shumpert guarded Jose in the 4th to shut down Jose.
& DeRozan did nothing to help.
cause he can't
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #46 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,212
Representing:
Default

Demar isnt a primetime guy people. I think when he's surrounded with better talent next year and he doesnt have to be the 2nd guy, we'll see him become more consistant and excel in a starters role. That and he really has to improve his handle this offseason.
Ball Don't Lie is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 11:51 AM   #47 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,166
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
The other thing I don't like is DeMar never takes it apon his self to guard the best perimeter play on opposing teams...

Example: Shumpert guarded Jose in the 4th to shut down Jose.
& DeRozan did nothing to help.
Your post doesn't make any sense. First, you say that DeRozan should guard the opposition's best perimeter player on defence. However, your example is about the Raptors on offence, where Shumpert was guarding Calderon.

It's not incumbent on DeRozan to bail Calderon out. Calderon is the primary ballhandler on the club, and it's his job to protect the ball and get the team set on offence. He didn't do either in the 4th Quarter.

Calderon also failed to get the ball in his teammates' hands and in position where they could score. Shumpert's aggressive defence played a huge role. No one is to blame for Calderon's ineffectiveness other than Calderon himself.

While DeRozan still has a lot of room for improvement, I find some of the comments in this thread to be reaching for straws and down right outlandish at times.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM   #48 (permalink)
is full of beans

Senior Member
 
Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 4,274
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
dude, Derozan is dead fuckling last in almost every measured statistical category amongst starting sg's in the NBA. Why cant we just accept that the gamble isnt paying off.
I tried to confirm this and I couldn't.

I used this HoopData page to compare SG's who played over 20 minutes a game in over 20 games this year (LINK). As far as I can tell Demar isn't really all that bad. His FG% stinks (it's the same as Belinelli's), but I was surprised that he didn't suck in a lot of other stats (click on a column header to sort by that stat).

He is almost embarrassing to watch this year, but I hope the Raps coaches are on his case the whole summer and he'll actually get better.

Last edited by Beans; 02-15-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Beans is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

I see you guys are actually pinning this loss on Jose Calderon now huh.

Awesomeness
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:10 PM   #50 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
I see you guys are actually pinning this loss on Jose Calderon now huh.

Awesomeness


You're in a thread where we're ripping Derozan's performance and you're whining about Jose being blamed? Get over it.

Last edited by jeffb; 02-15-2012 at 12:12 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #51 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,166
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
I see you guys are actually pinning this loss on Jose Calderon now huh.

Awesomeness
A poster was blaming DD for not helping Calderon out, and I just pointed it out that his post was asinine. It's also ironic that this poster as well as others criticize DD for his poor ballhandling skills (which he does in fact have) yet want him to handle the ball in crunch time.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #52 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

oh, because it seemed like you said toronto lost because of calderons inability to make the team win in crunchtime. U must have read that wrong.

Jose is the only real starter on this team right now...yet, he is basically expected to ensure that they ALL execute. Hard to execute in crunchtime when you don't have 5 guys playing and performing.

As far as Derozan is concerned. He's just not that good, it isn't science.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:42 PM   #53 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,166
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
oh, because it seemed like you said toronto lost because of calderons inability to make the team win in crunchtime. U must have read that wrong.

Jose is the only real starter on this team right now...yet, he is basically expected to ensure that they ALL execute. Hard to execute in crunchtime when you don't have 5 guys playing and performing.

As far as Derozan is concerned. He's just not that good, it isn't science.
Calderon was definitely a big reason for the 4th Quarter collapse, but he wasn't the sole reason. No one can deny that Calderon was ineffective in the 4th Quarter thanks in large part to Shumpert's defence. Calderon couldn't get past him, he couldn't set up the offence, and he had 2 crucial turnovers down the stretch.

His defence on Lin in the 4th Quarter was poor, but I think he was exhausted. He also didn't get much help from the bigs on the screen-and-rolls, as they didn't hedge out aggressively but instead sagged into the paint. That left Calderon, who is already a below-average defender, in a bad position to defend Lin.

Calderon got the team in a position to win the game with his play in the first 3 quarters, but he also contributed to the team being outscored 13-1 down the stretch.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #54 (permalink)
jonas smellandchewthis

Senior Member
 
thought's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 4,724
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
Calderon was definitely a big reason for the 4th Quarter collapse, but he wasn't the sole reason. No one can deny that Calderon was ineffective in the 4th Quarter thanks in large part to Shumpert's defence. Calderon couldn't get past him, he couldn't set up the offence, and he had 2 crucial turnovers down the stretch.

His defence on Lin in the 4th Quarter was poor, but I think he was exhausted. He also didn't get much help from the bigs on the screen-and-rolls, as they didn't hedge out aggressively but instead sagged into the paint. That left Calderon, who is already a below-average defender, in a bad position to defend Lin.

Calderon got the team in a position to win the game with his play in the first 3 quarters, but he also contributed to the team being outscored 13-1 down the stretch.
you can't be okay with dude not playing defense on one end cause he was exhausted, then slag him for not playing offense on the other end cause he was exhausted.

fact is he carried the team on his back for three quarters and it seemed like his body and his mind gave out in the fourth. dude dropped 25/9/7 but gets the shit cause he was too tired from picking up the slack for the rest of his teammates?

that said, he needs to be traded. like now.
thought is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #55 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
oh, because it seemed like you said toronto lost because of calderons inability to make the team win in crunchtime. U must have read that wrong.

Jose is the only real starter on this team right now...yet, he is basically expected to ensure that they ALL execute. Hard to execute in crunchtime when you don't have 5 guys playing and performing.

As far as Derozan is concerned. He's just not that good, it isn't science.
Calderon is a starter type of player sometimes. Other times he should be a backup. Especially the two seasons prior to this one. Now that he's playing like a starter......trade him.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 12:57 PM   #56 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,166
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thought View Post
you can't be okay with dude not playing defense on one end cause he was exhausted, then slag him for not playing offense on the other end cause he was exhausted.

fact is he carried the team on his back for three quarters and it seemed like his body and his mind gave out in the fourth. dude dropped 25/9/7 but gets the shit cause he was too tired from picking up the slack for the rest of his teammates?

that said, he needs to be traded. like now.
If he's gassed, he has to ask to be taken out of the game. Lin was also gassed, but he rose to the occasion. However, it's not like we've never seen this script before where Calderon has a great 36 minutes but then fades in the final 12.

Casey also deserves some blame for the offensive sets and the defensive assignments. For instance, he could have had Barbosa bringing the ball up and allowing him to initiate the offence before handing the ball off to Calderon closer to 3-point line. Too often last night Calderon dribbled near the halfcourt circle, which is too far to initiate the offence.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:04 PM   #57 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,287
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
oh, because it seemed like you said toronto lost because of calderons inability to make the team win in crunchtime. U must have read that wrong.

Jose is the only real starter on this team right now...yet, he is basically expected to ensure that they ALL execute. Hard to execute in crunchtime when you don't have 5 guys playing and performing.

As far as Derozan is concerned. He's just not that good, it isn't science.
The only reason Jose played well was because he had Jeremy Lin on him. Anyone can drop 25-30 on Jeremy Lin, save for Derek Fisher maybe.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:20 PM   #58 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

At the draft, DD for Milwaukee's pick. Raps can get maybe Lamb, maybe Beal, Q.Miller or A.Rivers with that pick. Raps get a younger player whose contract they can control for longer. Bucks get Jennings' buddy on his team.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:28 PM   #59 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Demar isnt a primetime guy people. I think when he's surrounded with better talent next year and he doesnt have to be the 2nd guy, we'll see him become more consistant and excel in a starters role. That and he really has to improve his handle this offseason.
yep - like someone said - it ain't science. I'm happy with the role he looks to be developing into. He looked far more lost a few weeks ago. There is progress.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #60 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,799
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Neighbour View Post
A poster was blaming DD for not helping Calderon out, and I just pointed it out that his post was asinine. It's also ironic that this poster as well as others criticize DD for his poor ballhandling skills (which he does in fact have) yet want him to handle the ball in crunch time.
I don't want DeRozan to handle anything!

& I see nothing wrong with my example. What I am saying is that DeMar has to step up & play some D! & also learn how to dribble...2 of the biggest holes in his game.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24