Miami Herald: "Deal in the works" JO for Marion/Banks
Old 01-17-2009, 11:10 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,118
Representing:
Miami Herald: "Deal in the works" JO for Marion/Banks

The Miami Herald is reporting that league sources directly involved with both teams are admiting that they are in discussions in a trade that would send Jermaine O'neal to Miami for Shawn Marion & Marcus Banks.It also states that Miami has also talked to two other teams about possible trades for Marion.

I wrote this in another thread but thought that it deserved it's own thread because this seems to really be getting close to getting done.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/858654.html

Last edited by jeffb; 01-17-2009 at 11:13 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Yeah it's looking like this will happen for sure now.

Hopefully Hump/Anthony are switched or something if we take on Banks... that would help relieve some of the cap pressure from that contract, we're gonna need all our dollars this summer if we want Williams or Odom.

Btw one of the more underrated things about this trade - We're gonna have lots of options in 2011, with Kapono, Hump, Banks all coming off.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,118
Representing:
Possible lineup:

Jose/Banks/Ukic
AP/Kapono/Solomon
Marion/Moon/Adams
Bosh/Bargs/Hump
Bargs/Hump/Voskhul/Jawai

Not only that, we still would probably be able to move AP/? to upgrade the 2 spot?? Maybe bringing in less salary and then going after Delfino.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,289
Representing:
Default

I think one of our wings will go in the deal too, probably moon
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,118
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
I think one of our wings will go in the deal too, probably moon
I wish we could somehow receive a draft pick also.

Maybe:

JO/Moon

for

Marion/Banks/2nd rnd pick
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Masai Ujiri

Senior Member
 
Kirby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 6,799
Representing:
Default

I hope BC is trying to re-create Phoenix.
Kirby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

The JO trade will be an infamous disaster in Raptor lore, boy what a flop. It's the Gigli of Raptor trades

It'll be weird seeing Marion in a Raptor uniform if this goes through... but then again it was weird for JO too. This will go down as an odd, lost year... where we got JO for half a season then Marion for the other half and ended up in the lottery... hopefully it's looked at fondly as the last year before the good Bosh/Bargnani era.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
confused why the raptors are so consistantly inconsistant

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 843
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Possible lineup:

Jose/Banks/Ukic
AP/Kapono/Solomon
Marion/Moon/Adams
Bosh/Bargs/Hump
Bargs/Hump/Voskhul/Jawai

Not only that, we still would probably be able to move AP/? to upgrade the 2 spot?? Maybe bringing in less salary and then going after Delfino.
Adams doesnt play for Raps anymore. I dont even think he plays anywhere. He's a FA
the_ raps_analyst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:37 PM   #9 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,118
Representing:
If we could somehow go after Delfino, i'd be impressed.

Jose/Banks/Ukic
AP/Delfino/Solomon
Marion/Kapono/Moon
Bosh/Bargs/Hump
Bargs/Voskhul/Hump/Jawai

Even though i expect AP + Moon or Solomon to also get traded.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #10 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,118
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ raps_analyst View Post
Adams doesnt play for Raps anymore. I dont even think he plays anywhere. He's a FA

Yeah i just remembered that. lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Rob Ford's dopeman.

Senior Member
 
Febreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anywhere there's Internet
Posts: 2,845
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_ raps_analyst View Post
Adams doesnt play for Raps anymore. I dont even think he plays anywhere. He's a FA
Thats what I was thinking
Febreezy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,118
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood View Post
The JO trade will be an infamous disaster in Raptor lore, boy what a flop. It's the Gigli of Raptor trades

It'll be weird seeing Marion in a Raptor uniform if this goes through... but then again it was weird for JO too. This will go down as an odd, lost year... where we got JO for half a season then Marion for the other half and ended up in the lottery... hopefully it's looked at fondly as the last year before the good Bosh/Bargnani era.
Yeah, most here thought it was a great idea? lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
Rob Ford's dopeman.

Senior Member
 
Febreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Anywhere there's Internet
Posts: 2,845
Representing:
Default

Found this on the Bleacher Report also.This trade could happen before nexts weeks end.

Quote:
We reported earlier this week that Shawn Marion’s departure from Miami was going to happen soon, even though all parties involved have denied it up to this point. This morning, Yahoo! Sports is reporting that Miami Heat GM Pat Riley has been in preliminary talks with Raptors management about the potential of a multi-player trade that would involve sending Shawn Marion to Canada for Jermaine O’ Neal.

Most league executives feel that the Heat would like to make sure O’Neal is completely healthy before pulling the trigger on the deal. Marion meanwhile, spent most of Friday after practice clearing the air about speculation.
LINK
Febreezy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:46 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
dogbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 422
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Yeah, most here thought it was a great idea? lol
You two have missed the point of the original JO trade. It was for the cap space that they'd have in the 2010 offseason (which Colangelo will be transferring to 2009 if he does this trade). Yes, I'm sure he was hoping that JO would be a success here, but the fact that he wasn't doesn't make the trade bad.
dogbert is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:47 PM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
dogbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 422
Representing:
Default

BTW, I don't really get how Miami is going to get assurance that JO is "completely healthy."

Fact is, JO is never going to be "completely healthy" at any point of his career again. If they want to make the trade, they'll have to take the risk that he'll get hurt again and sit out games.
dogbert is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:49 PM   #16 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,734
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Yeah, most here thought it was a great idea? lol
It was a great idea in that the whole idea was to strengthen the defensive core. But JO didn't really make anybody else better on defense, and Bargnani ended up being a stud on defense, so the idea didn't really meet up with reality. The other part of the great idea was what could be done with JO's contract. Now if this trade happens that aspect becomes a little better if you don't want to wait for 2010.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
dogbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 422
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
It was a great idea in that the whole idea was to strengthen the defensive core. But JO didn't really make anybody else better on defense, and Bargnani ended up being a stud on defense, so the idea didn't really meet up with reality. The other part of the great idea was what could be done with JO's contract. Now if this trade happens that aspect becomes a little better if you don't want to wait for 2010.
Bargnani isn't a stud on defense. He's decent, but he's certainly not a stud.
dogbert is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert View Post
You two have missed the point of the original JO trade. It was for the cap space that they'd have in the 2010 offseason (which Colangelo will be transferring to 2009 if he does this trade). Yes, I'm sure he was hoping that JO would be a success here, but the fact that he wasn't doesn't make the trade bad.
Well in terms of the team makeup, it's a flop. He hoped it'd make us a legitimate 4th seed threat this year and create a winning aura for the 2010 FA. Didn't work out that way

Colangelo is also a win now/win later at once type GM... MLSE wants a competitive team year to year. Being a near 50 win team and winning a playoff series was a big incentive for that too, not everything is about a championship. That's part of the Marion deal as well... to help us push for the playoffs this year. Even if we get smoked by Boston/Cleveland, the FA wants us there.

Miami is the same on their side - JO will probably at best get them to the second round and help them put up a fight. But to the FA, that's a very very good thing and more than a toss-of. Plus yea, it sets them up for 2010.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 PM   #19 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,734
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbert View Post
Bargnani isn't a stud on defense. He's decent, but he's certainly not a stud.
Whatever. You can define a stud however you like. I say he's been a stud. The effort is there. In transition he's been fantastic at times. He's not intimidated by anyone big or small. He's asserting his presence. He's blocking shots and rebounding. I'll take that over a lot of others at the 5.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #20 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
dogbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 422
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood View Post
Well in terms of the team makeup, it's a flop. He hoped it'd make us a legitimate 4th seed threat this year and create a winning aura for the 2010 FA. Didn't work out that way
The main goal of the trade was the gained cap space. Sure, they could have been a 4th/5th seed if it had worked out, but it's not like they would have won anything once they were in the playoffs anyway.

Quote:
Colangelo is also a win now/win later at once type GM... MLSE wants a competitive team year to year.
If MLSE really wanted a competitive team, they'd be spending above the luxery tax level like they are capable of.

Quote:
Being a near 50 win team and winning a playoff series was a big incentive for that too, not everything is about a championship. That's part of the Marion deal as well... to help us push for the playoffs this year. Even if we get smoked by Boston/Cleveland, the FA wants us there.
Everything SHOULD be about a championship.

Quote:
Miami is the same on their side - JO will probably at best get them to the second round and help them put up a fight. But to the FA, that's a very very good thing and more than a toss-of. Plus yea, it sets them up for 2010.
The reasoning behind the trade for Miami is to get them cap space in 2010 so they can sign Wade and another star. Whether JO succeeds or not is kind of trivial in comparison to that.
dogbert is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wade: "Miami needs to make first move" The MVP of West Hollywood Toronto Raptors 60 06-22-2009 03:54 PM
Miami Herald: Plan Is To Improve Raptors, Not Deal Bosh Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 16 06-03-2009 10:50 PM
JO: "Good chance i'll end up in Miami" jeffb Toronto Raptors 40 01-18-2009 06:36 PM
Miami Herald: "Raptors Most Disappointing Team" Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 17 12-31-2008 03:16 AM
Gordon,Hughes,Noah to Miami for Marion,Marcus Banks? jeffb NBA Talk 7 09-18-2008 11:32 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24