IN MASAI WE TRUST - Page 4
Old 12-09-2013, 01:18 PM   #61 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,908
Representing:
Default

This trade somehow feels like the one that Grunwald engineered to bring in Keon and then another one to bring in JYD, that is before all of the tank discourse. MU moved redundancies for some pretty good players, Patterson and Hayes of which, are pretty good defenders. Maybe these guys move on, maybe Lowry does, but this team looks a lot better to me through additions by subtraction. You basically move a guy who takes around 30-40% of your total shots a night and hits at best, a third of them.
This trade potentially made us a more efficient team, and I know last night is a small sample size but low and behold, there was a pretty nice assist to turnover ratio. How many times was Gay the culprit for turnovers, if not directly, then his style of play is. Isolation ball is so nineties, and professional coaches and players have figured out ways to stymie this outdated and putrid form of basketball. That's what Gay excels in, give him the ball and get out of the way.

I actually want this team to win now. The future is now. Maybe Wiggins or Parker or Exum are the next coming, and maybe one of them blows a knee (Rose, Noel, Oden!!!). Sure these are all cautionary tales but if you manage to get a pretty good crew together then stick with it. Good thing I'm not a GM. Because the hype machine is as full-on as its ever been and tanking somehow, getting lucky, playing the lottery, has somehow become a socially acceptable part of the game to a lot of fans. Let's gamble now so we can MAYBE win later.

I'd rather try to win now. Giving my time and interest to a scenario that feels a lot like walking into a casino is bullshit to me. I hate casinos.
ClingRap is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #62 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,946
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingRap View Post
This trade somehow feels like the one that Grunwald engineered to bring in Keon and then another one to bring in JYD, that is before all of the tank discourse. MU moved redundancies for some pretty good players, Patterson and Hayes of which, are pretty good defenders. Maybe these guys move on, maybe Lowry does, but this team looks a lot better to me through additions by subtraction. You basically move a guy who takes around 30-40% of your total shots a night and hits at best, a third of them.
This trade potentially made us a more efficient team, and I know last night is a small sample size but low and behold, there was a pretty nice assist to turnover ratio. How many times was Gay the culprit for turnovers, if not directly, then his style of play is. Isolation ball is so nineties, and professional coaches and players have figured out ways to stymie this outdated and putrid form of basketball. That's what Gay excels in, give him the ball and get out of the way.

I actually want this team to win now. The future is now. Maybe Wiggins or Parker or Exum are the next coming, and maybe one of them blows a knee (Rose, Noel, Oden!!!). Sure these are all cautionary tales but if you manage to get a pretty good crew together then stick with it. Good thing I'm not a GM. Because the hype machine is as full-on as its ever been and tanking somehow, getting lucky, playing the lottery, has somehow become a socially acceptable part of the game to a lot of fans. Let's gamble now so we can MAYBE win later.

I'd rather try to win now. Giving my time and interest to a scenario that feels a lot like walking into a casino is bullshit to me. I hate casinos.
Amen!
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #63 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,946
Representing:
Default

I think the trade everyone tank crowd is rabid and hasty. Ujiri isn't going to machine gun trade his way into his plan. At this stage, he will want to see for himself what he acquired in Vasquez, Patterson and Hayes. Those 3 should see plenty of court time in the next few games so Masai can form a judgement on them. The only thing he HAS to do at this stage is clear one roster space. Maybe he waives one of Daye, Buycks or Augustin. Maybe Salmons doesn't report, or maybe he packages Salmons with one of the 3 excess candidates and moves them to another team for something more useful. He does not like to waste any assets. He doesn't have to rush on anything else.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #64 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,309
Representing:
Default

Tim and Sid singing I Believe in Masai was pretty classic.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:34 PM   #65 (permalink)
stank

member
 
Someguy again's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 6,387
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Tim and Sid singing I Believe in Masai was pretty classic.
and the "if masai had a twitter account the profile pic would be him wearing a ski mask" quote lol
Someguy again is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #66 (permalink)
N64
not here

Wildcard Bitches
 
N64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 7,617
Representing:
Default

huge fan of Lowry but he just doesn't work under a coach like Casey. Sacrifice for the tank, I guess. Also hoping he gets traded cause I just picked up Vasquez in one of my leagues and need a PG badly
N64 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:36 PM   #67 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,908
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Tim and Sid singing I Believe in Masai was pretty classic.
Just heard it. Brilliant.
ClingRap is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #68 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,688
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64 View Post
huge fan of Lowry but he just doesn't work under a coach like Casey. Sacrifice for the tank, I guess. Also hoping he gets traded cause I just picked up Vasquez in one of my leagues and need a PG badly
He worked pretty well last night.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #69 (permalink)
holding it in.

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 44
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClingRap View Post
This trade somehow feels like the one that Grunwald engineered to bring in Keon and then another one to bring in JYD, that is before all of the tank discourse. MU moved redundancies for some pretty good players, Patterson and Hayes of which, are pretty good defenders. Maybe these guys move on, maybe Lowry does, but this team looks a lot better to me through additions by subtraction. You basically move a guy who takes around 30-40% of your total shots a night and hits at best, a third of them.
This trade potentially made us a more efficient team, and I know last night is a small sample size but low and behold, there was a pretty nice assist to turnover ratio. How many times was Gay the culprit for turnovers, if not directly, then his style of play is. Isolation ball is so nineties, and professional coaches and players have figured out ways to stymie this outdated and putrid form of basketball. That's what Gay excels in, give him the ball and get out of the way.

I actually want this team to win now. The future is now. Maybe Wiggins or Parker or Exum are the next coming, and maybe one of them blows a knee (Rose, Noel, Oden!!!). Sure these are all cautionary tales but if you manage to get a pretty good crew together then stick with it. Good thing I'm not a GM. Because the hype machine is as full-on as its ever been and tanking somehow, getting lucky, playing the lottery, has somehow become a socially acceptable part of the game to a lot of fans. Let's gamble now so we can MAYBE win later.

I'd rather try to win now. Giving my time and interest to a scenario that feels a lot like walking into a casino is bullshit to me. I hate casinos.
What?

We have the exact same team we had pre-Gay last year now, or thereabouts. Our best three players are Derozan, Lowry, and either Amir or Jonas. Derozan and Lowry have already peaked in all likelihood, and Jonas will be a 15 and 10 guy AT BEST once we get another coach who can actually develop him.

This team is going nowhere as constructed, and just because we dumped Gay doesn't mean that suddenly everything is repaired. Tanking and turning over bad rosters is socially acceptable because it is the smart thing to do, an evolved way of thinking that GMs in the NBA have adopted because they recognize that the only way to win in this league is with a franchise player. The only way to acquire a franchise player is through the draft or free agency, and the Raptors aren't about to pull any big name FAs. I don't know what is so hard to understand about this. Honestly, I think Raptor fans may be the most ignorant fan base I have encountered.
TurkeyPack17 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #70 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,946
Representing:
Default

edit

Last edited by 'trane; 12-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #71 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,309
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by N64 View Post
huge fan of Lowry but he just doesn't work under a coach like Casey. Sacrifice for the tank, I guess. Also hoping he gets traded cause I just picked up Vasquez in one of my leagues and need a PG badly
A lot didn't work, and it wasn't so much about a coach like Casey. Casey brought a lot of good things to the table this season in what he was demanding. Rudy counteracted a lot of that, including taking away some of Rudy's ability to run the team properly.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #72 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,946
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
A lot didn't work, and it wasn't so much about a coach like Casey. Casey brought a lot of good things to the table this season in what he was demanding. Rudy counteracted a lot of that, including taking away some of LOWRY'S ability to run the team properly.
Fixed.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #73 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,309
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Fixed.
Right - thanks
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24