Magloire: "This year is going to be a different team" - Page 2
Old 12-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #21 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,817
Representing:
Default

It is different this year...not in the win-loss sense. The one thing that's going to change is that if you are not doing what you are supposed to within the team system or on defense, you are not going to play.

Naming names would be beating a dead horse, but previously, the incapable and unwilling would be allowed to stay on the floor. And those who have been accused of shitty defense actually want to stay in Toronto so they have to know their time here could be in jeopardy.

This year, no one is protecting their coaching job, no one is trying to climb into 8th and no one needs you to light it up on offense. If you are not doing what you are supposed to do regularly, your ass will be riding the pine regularly.

Nobody is going to say a word if you see a lineup on the floor of Magloire, Amir, JJ, Demar, Carter as long as they are wreaking havoc. I'll only be pissed off if I have to watch some soft-serve lineup lose 121-99 every other night.
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #22 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,499
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
It is different this year...not in the win-loss sense. The one thing that's going to change is that if you are not doing what you are supposed to within the team system or on defense, you are not going to play.

Naming names would be beating a dead horse, but previously, the incapable and unwilling would be allowed to stay on the floor. And those who have been accused of shitty defense actually want to stay in Toronto so they have to know their time here could be in jeopardy.

This year, no one is protecting their coaching job, no one is trying to climb into 8th and no one needs you to light it up on offense. If you are not doing what you are supposed to do regularly, your ass will be riding the pine regularly.

Nobody is going to say a word if you see a lineup on the floor of Magloire, Amir, JJ, Demar, Carter as long as they are wreaking havoc. I'll only be pissed off if I have to watch some soft-serve lineup lose 121-99 every other night.
AMEN brother. Well said. I certainly hope this is the way that it plays out.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #23 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

i think its interesting nobody thinks triano said any of this shit before.

i will be ecstatic if these guys actually listen to the coach. Thrilled
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM   #24 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,817
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
i think its interesting nobody thinks triano said any of this shit before.

i will be ecstatic if these guys actually listen to the coach. Thrilled
I think Triano knew his ass was on the line. No breathing room.....and he was right. They didn't go all in for the tank, and even Colangelo still had something to prove. Maybe if he was the new guy this year, he could have said, we're changing the culture here. Sit your ass down until you stop missing assignements.

If this had been like last year, they may have brought in Gilbert Arenas and Nene and shot for 8th place.

And I'm just looking at Anthony Carter and I know he's going to get on guys. They may be more pissed off at him this year than the coach. Don't forget that guys like Wright said guys would get offended if you said anything to them before. Go ahead and get offended this year.....but you'll probably be offended.....sitting on the bench.

Last edited by Deez; 12-14-2011 at 04:01 PM.
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #25 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,824
Representing:
Default

Quote:
The six-foot-11, 265-pound Magloire is hoping to instill a new attitude with his hometown team. He gives the Raptors a tough, physical presence that they haven't had on a consistent basis since Charles Oakley was dishing out hard fouls over a decade ago.

Wasn't this same statement made last Year in regards to Reggie Evans?
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,158
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Wasn't this same statement made last Year in regards to Reggie Evans?
Sure, but Reggie failed at the "consistent basis" part when he was injured for 2/3 of the year, 2 years in a row. The team was much better with him in the lineup.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,824
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Sure, but Reggie failed at the "consistent basis" part when he was injured for 2/3 of the year, 2 years in a row. The team was much better with him in the lineup.
Yes they were but Reggie>Jamal IMO & it ain't even close...

I just hope Mags isn't all F**kin taljk & no game!

Cause he hasn't done much in about 5 years now.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #28 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,158
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Yes they were but Reggie>Jamal IMO & it ain't even close...

I just hope Mags isn't all F**kin taljk & no game!

Cause he hasn't done much in about 5 years now.
Well, their recent careers are very similar. Over the last 5 years, Reggie averaged about 18 minutes per game in 57 games a year, and that's skewed by his 26 last year. Over the same time period, Magloire averaged 12 minutes per game in 44 games per year. That's less, but not drastically so.

Magloire hasn't done much lately. You're right. But Reggie hadn't done much either. So I still think the comparison is valid.
DanH is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 04:36 PM   #29 (permalink)
at MSG failing a pointless 360 degree dunk during a losing streak

Lackey
 
Deez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,817
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Yes they were but Reggie>Jamal IMO & it ain't even close...

I just hope Mags isn't all F**kin taljk & no game!

Cause he hasn't done much in about 5 years now.
I think the difference is what will be demanded of guys. Reggie went out there and said I'll rebound where guys aren't and I'll stand up to bullies for other guys. The difference now is everyone is supposed to be doing it. And honestly, I don't know why we should expect that much game and that many minutes from Magloire.
Deez is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 PM   #30 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 8,457
Representing:
Default

Triano was a awful, now that coach Mitchell is back the team can get back on track.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 10:26 PM   #31 (permalink)
is all bout dat life

Can't knock the Hustle
 
Nites's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 15,055
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Triano was a awful, now that coach Mitchell is back the team can get back on track.
huhh?
Nites is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 12:35 AM   #32 (permalink)
Is wondering when the Patman and JJ will be unleashed?

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 5,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007nites View Post
huhh?
I think he meant Mitchell's spirit is back in Casey...just the message will be delivered better...hopefully BC keeps his nose out of the coaching

I disagree about Triano...to be fair BC completely undermined his disciplinary strategies...

Last edited by DocHoliday99; 12-15-2011 at 12:37 AM.
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:34 AM   #33 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,248
Representing:
Default

BC undermined a lightweight yes man. If there is one thing that we've seen, it's that BC needs a very strong counterweight. Even then, a Bargnani can make life difficult. We'll see if the Mago is more important than this coach.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #34 (permalink)
a newbie

Member
 
raptorchick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 143
Representing:
Default

Guys like Magloire, Forbes, Gray, Carter, and Butler were just picked up with dealing them at the deadline for 2nd-round picks/young project players in mind. It's the typical modus operandi of a rebuilding team. None of these guys except for maybe Gray would be even 2nd-stringers on a contending team like DAL or LAL so who gives a shit what they say.
raptorchick is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 07:55 AM   #35 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,190
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptorchick View Post
Guys like Magloire, Forbes, Gray, Carter, and Butler were just picked up with dealing them at the deadline for 2nd-round picks/young project players in mind. It's the typical modus operandi of a rebuilding team. None of these guys except for maybe Gray would be even 2nd-stringers on a contending team like DAL or LAL so who gives a shit what they say.
i give a shit for one.

firstly i just find reading players' thoughts interesting.

secondly basketabll ability and affect on the dressing are not linked. Mag, gray, carter, forbes might not affect the win/loss coulmn massively but they could have a huge impact on our locker room and defensive culture.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 08:36 AM   #36 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Listen, for those who are judging the efficacy of a players comments on their actual success on the court I want you to understand something, human interaction and sociology do not follow the rules of success in sport.

Guys that run a room, at any level, are not always the the guys that produce the most on the floor. Not by a long shot. These guys follow the same rules we do in life outside the game. A 23 year old player is gonna look at a 35 year old pine rider as a man, a grown up man, and he will respect him as such. Happens everywhere in life.

When a guy like Magloire talks, people listen. he's articulate, he's a big man, and he's a tough guy. If he and Juwan could run the room with Wade and Lebron there, I'm sure Magloire will have little trouble being the man in Toronto.

It's 90% maturity and leadership guys, it happens off the floor, not on it.

I think the Raptors have made some very clever and effective moves, moves I have to be honest, I didn't see coming. Success will not be immediate, but it's a great start, and hopefully will be great for these younger guys, and this includes Bargnani.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:22 AM   #37 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member
 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,496
Representing:
Default

let me know when magloire sends bargnani's mouth peice down his throat with an elbow.

i don't see the mickey mouse atmosphere of this franchise changing, casey aint no mitchell
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:28 AM   #38 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,960
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
let me know when magloire sends bargnani's mouth peice down his throat with an elbow.

i don't see the mickey mouse atmosphere of this franchise changing, casey aint no mitchell
just a couple of days into training camp and he's reportedly already hammered derozan to the floor. is this a step in the right direction, or only if he does it to bargnani?
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:43 AM   #39 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member
 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,496
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'trane View Post
just a couple of days into training camp and he's reportedly already hammered derozan to the floor. is this a step in the right direction, or only if he does it to bargnani?
last i checked derozans not the one thats scared of contact


so yeah, only a step in the right direction if he does it to bargnani
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 11:45 AM   #40 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
last i checked derozans not the one thats scared of contact


so yeah, only a step in the right direction if he does it to bargnani
such an embellishment.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24