Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Lowry - Toronto Sun/Canoe (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/lowry-toronto-sun-canoe-23028.html)

LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! 05-29-2012 09:43 AM

Lowry - Toronto Sun/Canoe
 
We all knew BC would be going after Lowry.

Blogs Courtside



Kyle Lowry might want a change of scenery – expect the Raptors to kick the tires
ryan.wolstat - May 26th, 2012

Rockets point guard Kyle Lowry doesn’t sound like someone who would prefer to return to Houston next season.

On Friday, Lowry told Rockets beat writer Jonathan Feigen of the Houston Chronicle he can’t see both he and unrestricted free agent Goran Dragic coming back.

Just a few weeks after surgery to fix torn abductor muscles and a sports hernia, Lowry told Feigen:

“I don’t think so. I honestly think it would be tough. Things have to be addressed. The situation would have to be addressed.

“If things aren’t addressed coaching-wise, I guess I have to be moved.”

Lowry made it clear that he has undisclosed problems with head coach Kevin McHale. Though McHale and general manager Daryl Morey downplayed any issues, Lowry clearly is unhappy.

Morey told Feigen:

“I think Kyle and coach McHale are both winners and both competitive guys. “I don’t anticipate any issues going forward.”

At one point during the season, Lowry had to be restrained from going after the coach.

A tremendous defender and rebounder, Lowry averaged career highs of 14.3 points, 6.6 assists and 4.6 rebounds per game in 47 contests (In 38 starts, Lowry’s numbers were 15.9 points, 7.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game). However, his injuries opened the door for Dragic, who averaged 18 points, 8.4 assists and 1.8 steals per game in 28 starts of his own.

Dragic is a far better shooter and finisher than Lowry, except for from three-point range and from the free throw line, where they shoot about the same. Lowry is an elite defender at the point guard spot and a better rebounder.

For his career, Lowry has averaged 10.4 points and 4.8 assists. Lowry has two very reasonable years remaining on his contract and will earn $5.75 million in 2012-1 and $6.2 million in 2013-14.

The Raptors are extremely high on Lowry, so there is little doubt – despite Morey’s desire to keep Lowry in the fold – that he and Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo will discuss a Lowry deal. If that falls through the Raptors could instead pursue Dragic, though I do not know if he is a favourite of theirs like Lowry or not.

After Lowry burned the Raptors for a game-high 26 points (including 4-for-4 from three) in a three-point win in Houston, I asked Raptors head coach Dwane Casey what he thought of Lowry and Casey lauded the guard for his toughness and ability.

“He’s a hell of a competitor. He’s their heart and soul and spirit of their team and I love the way he plays,” Casey said.

Long-time Raptor Alvin Williams, now a scout with the team, is extremely close with Lowry and is one of his mentors. Both are from Philadelphia and both played for Villanova. “Alvin is my main man,” Lowry once said.

Complicating a potential deal would be the fact that Houston would have to be sure Dragic will re-sign long-term with the club to be its starter before opting to trade Lowry. That won’t happen until July 1st, after the draft. It would likely be Toronto’s pick – 8th before Wednesday’s lottery – that Houston would be after. The Rockets own the 14th pick (again, pre-lottery) and the 16th. It’s hard to see the Rockets wanting anything besides Toronto’s pick in a potential Lowry deal since Jonas Valanciunas and Andrea Bargnani won’t be on the table. DeMar DeRozan’s advanced stats likely don’t impress Morey, who is a huge believer in advanced statistical analysis.

Plus there’s the fact other teams could make better offers. Lowry and Luis Scola nearly became Lakers last season in exchange for Pau Gasol and Gasol is very much on the block again and the Rockets have always coveted him.

As well, Lowry has had injury issues including a torn ACL early in his career and has an edge. He was charged with battery after being accused of throwing a ball at a female referee during the lockout. Lowry apologized, received 100 hours of community service and impulse-control counseling.

However, for years the Raptors have lacked extremely competitive, hard-nosed players and that’s a major reason why they haven’t had much success.

Unless Dragic says he’s not coming back, Lowry’s likely moving somewhere. Would he be OK with supplanting Jose Calderon as starter in Toronto if Calderon is still seeing considerable time, some of it in the same backcourt as Lowry? Who knows.

What we do know is he is not interested in splitting time with Dragic.

“We’re both capable starters. We both want it. It’s going to have to be a situation where they make a decision on one of us.

“It has nothing to do with Goran. I’m not happy with the way coaches handled things. If management wants to do something to keep Goran, I think I’ll have to be moved,” Lowry told Feigen.

“I think I’m still a foundation guy. You can build around me. If I’m not here, that’s welcomed. If I’m here, I guess that’s welcome, too.”

Interesting stuff indeed.

Kyle Lowry might want a change of scenery – expect the Raptors to kick the tires Courtside

DocHoliday99 05-29-2012 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! (Post 647797)
We all knew BC would be going after Lowry.

Uhm....where did it say that other than a reporters wishful thinking? BC will surely kick many tires not just Lowry's but let's not put words in the dudes mouth :cookie:

I will admit though I do like the defence and rebounding he would bring. However LA needs him desperately, someone to slow down the Parkers, Pauls and Westbrooks of the western conference. I see a deal there before a deal here in Torontoland as Lakers have someone Houston covets in Gasol.

IMO, if that deal before the last season goes down and the Lakers had a line-up of Bynum, Scola, MWP, Bryant and Lowry I think it would be a different story in the play-offs.

LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! 05-29-2012 10:38 AM

Agreed. Considering though everyone on here's been talking about Lowry. I thought the article was relevant.

DocHoliday99 05-29-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! (Post 647806)
Agreed. Considering though everyone on here's been talking about Lowry. I thought the article was relevant.

Totally was relevant. I love this time of year, the rumors, comments, the execs bashing draft picks so they fall, July 1st. Great times!

1 more day before the shiznit really starts :cookie:

jeffb 05-29-2012 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 (Post 647803)
Uhm....where did it say that other than a reporters wishful thinking? BC will surely kick many tires not just Lowry's but let's not put words in the dudes mouth :cookie:

I will admit though I do like the defence and rebounding he would bring. However LA needs him desperately, someone to slow down the Parkers, Pauls and Westbrooks of the western conference. I see a deal there before a deal here in Torontoland as Lakers have someone Houston covets in Gasol.

IMO, if that deal before the last season goes down and the Lakers had a line-up of Bynum, Scola, MWP, Bryant and Lowry I think it would be a different story in the play-offs.

LAL- Calderon, Scola, #14

Houston- Gasol, #8

Toronto- Lowry, Ebanks

carp 05-29-2012 10:52 AM

I think we're giving up too much in that deal.

EggsToTheBBQ 05-29-2012 10:55 AM

Way too much.

Lowry isn't worth a mid lottery pick in a strong draft class.

jeffb 05-29-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 647814)
I think we're giving up too much in that deal.

Calderon + #8 for Lowry and Ebanks is too much?


On top of that we save about 3Mil in salary. I guess we can insist on getting Houston's other pick (#16?)

jeffb 05-29-2012 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ (Post 647815)
Way too much.

Lowry isn't worth a mid lottery pick in a strong draft class.

Who at number 8 will be better than Lowry?

carp 05-29-2012 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 647818)
Who at number 8 will be better than Lowry?

I guess I just look at it like this.... Jose and Lowry are on a similar level, given all considerations, and number 8 is much better than Ebanks.... who might be serviceable, but I'd rather take a shot at a guy like Lamb.

LX 05-29-2012 11:25 AM

similar level? Whatever that means. They are very different players.

jeffb 05-29-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 647820)
I guess I just look at it like this.... Jose and Lowry are on a similar level

First mistake. Lowry is a far better defender, scorer, rebounder and is younger and quicker. Then when you look at the money we save, to me it's a no brainer. IMO looking at that deal we'd be getting the best player. Which means, fat chance it would happen.

LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! 05-29-2012 11:59 AM

Jose and Lowry are on a similar level, yeah, and Bargs can rebound :giggle:

JoeyJoJo Shabbadu 05-29-2012 12:07 PM

Man... I hate headcases that get arrested for dumb things. Now he's hating on his coach? I think GMs should put a higher value on intelligence and character. Not sure I'm giving up the farm no matter how good a defender he is... Alvin Williams better know more than is let on if they chase Lowry.

carp 05-29-2012 12:08 PM

Because I disagree that Lowry is as good as many think here, feel free to disagree. It's not a big deal..... whatever that means!

I don't see Lowry being a guy that comes in and takes us to a new level... I see him as a guy that is good but I'm not prancing around expecting him to be Chris Paul.

LX 05-29-2012 12:10 PM

He's closer to Chris Paul than Jose Calderon. Even if you don't think much of him there are just no real similarities.

jeffb 05-29-2012 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 647829)
Because I disagree that Lowry is as good as many think here, feel free to disagree. It's not a big deal..... whatever that means!

I don't see Lowry being a guy that comes in and takes us to a new level... I see him as a guy that is good but I'm not prancing around expecting him to be Chris Paul.

He's an upgrade and likely makes us better, his defense alone makes us that much better on the perimeter which is an issue for us. That, and he rebounds and can score (isn't afraid to ;)).

MikeToronto 05-29-2012 12:13 PM

Lowry is a very different player to Calderon, yes, but I would disagree that in overall value to a team he is closer to Paul than to Calderon.

jeffb 05-29-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeToronto (Post 647833)
Lowry is a very different player to Calderon, yes, but I would disagree that in overall value to a team he is closer to Paul than to Calderon.

Then we disagree. He's closer in talent to Chris Paul then Jose is. The only thing Jose is better at is dribbling and passing which imo is overrated when it comes to him because of the way he plays (holds onto the ball too much, runs the clock, safe). Better Defender, rebounder, scorer, younger, quicker= closer to CP3 than Jose. JMHO :v:

carp 05-29-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 647835)
Then we disagree. He's closer in talent to Chris Paul then Jose is. The only thing Jose is better at is dribbling and passing which imo is overrated when it comes to him because of the way he plays (holds onto the ball too much, runs the clock, safe). Better Defender, rebounder, scorer, younger, quicker= closer to CP3 than Jose. JMHO :v:

Don't forget that Jose holds the ball more because we have so many young players that can't be trusted on offense..... Jose on a vet team, like Houston say, would likely be much less hesitant to pull the trigger.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24