The Lowry/Alvin friendship
Old 07-25-2012, 02:00 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Raptors The Lowry/Alvin friendship

Quote:
About eight years ago, Raptors assistant coach Alvin Williams scrimmaged at Villanova in his hometown of Philadelphia.

He faced another Philly-born point guard, a kid he had helped recruit to the school.“I thought he was a jerk,” said Williams, who played 460 games for the Raptors from 1998-2006 before ravaged knees forced his retirement at 30
“I know what Alvin would have said,” Kyle Lowry said, laughing. “It’s just a matter of maturing as a person. I had to understand that not everyone wanted to take something from me. As a friend, Alvin was always there for me. “

“I wear my emotions on my sleeve. At home, on the road, wherever, it doesn’t matter. I want to win every game.”

And every scrimmage. Acquired for guard Gary Forbes and a protected first round draft choice from the Houston Rockets, the 26-year-old Lowry arrives as the kind of defence-first, tough-minded point guard who will imbue his relentless style across the roster.

The best example of Lowry’s tenacity can be found in his rebounding. Aside from Rajon Rondo whose prodigious wingspan mitigates his height, the top 10 rebounding guards (minimum 40 games) tower over the six-foot Lowry.
Quote:
The average among the nine players in front of Lowry was six-foot-five.

1) Evan Turner Phil. 5.8rpg, ’6-7″
2) Paul George Ind. 5.6rpg, ’6-8″
3) Kobe Bryant LAL. 5.4rpg, ’6-6″
4) Rajon Rondo Bos. 4.8rpg, ’6-1″
5) Dwyane Wade Mia. 4.8rpg, ’6-4″
6) Jarred Dudley Phx. 4.6rpg, ’6-7″
7) Tyreke Evans Sac. 4.6rpg, ’6-6″
8) Russell Westbrook OKC. 4.6rpg, ’6-3″
9) John Wall Wash. 4.5rpg, ’6-4″
10) Kyle Lowry Hou. 4.4rpg, 6-0″
The Official Site of Canada's Team | THE OFFICIAL BLOG OF THE TORONTO RAPTORS
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

With Bargs and DD on this roster, somebody's got to rebound
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
With Bargs and DD on this roster, somebody's got to rebound
Weren't we top 10 in rebounding last year? We're adding Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas. Rebounding shouldn't be an issue on this team.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Let me have my fun
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,163
Representing:
Default

Quote:
The average among the nine players in front of Lowry was six-foot-five.

1) Evan Turner Phil. 5.8rpg, ’6-7″
2) Paul George Ind. 5.6rpg, ’6-8″
3) Kobe Bryant LAL. 5.4rpg, ’6-6″
4) Rajon Rondo Bos. 4.8rpg, ’6-1″
5) Dwyane Wade Mia. 4.8rpg, ’6-4″
6) Jarred Dudley Phx. 4.6rpg, ’6-7″
7) Tyreke Evans Sac. 4.6rpg, ’6-6″
8) Russell Westbrook OKC. 4.6rpg, ’6-3″
9) John Wall Wash. 4.5rpg, ’6-4″
10) Kyle Lowry Hou. 4.4rpg, 6-0″
Best part of this list is that:

a) Of those 10 players, Lowry actually ranks 5th in TRB%, ahead of Kobe, Rondo, Reke, Westbrook, and John Wall.

b) Of those 10 players, Lowry is 1 of only 3 true PGs.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,163
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Weren't we top 10 in rebounding last year? We're adding Lowry, Fields, Valanciunas. Rebounding shouldn't be an issue on this team.
We were 22nd in offensive rebounding rate, 3rd in defensive rebounding rate, and tied for 9th in overall rebounding rate. This is a good rebounding team, and will be even better next year.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,149
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Best part of this list is that:

a) Of those 10 players, Lowry actually ranks 5th in TRB%, ahead of Kobe, Rondo, Reke, Westbrook, and John Wall.

b) Of those 10 players, Lowry is 1 of only 4 true PGs.
Westbrook is a PG
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,774
Representing:
Default

yeah, i don't get the point of excluding westbrook. whether it's 3 or 4, we're still happy that we'll have rebounding coming from our backcourt.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
we're still happy that we'll have rebounding coming from our backcourt.
yup
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:04 PM   #10 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,163
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Filth View Post
yeah, i don't get the point of excluding westbrook. whether it's 3 or 4, we're still happy that we'll have rebounding coming from our backcourt.
Sorry, typo. Meant to include him, and the point I meant to make is that Lowry is the highest rated of those PG's on that list.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 02:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,901
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Sorry, typo. Meant to include him, and the point I meant to make is that Lowry is the highest rated of those PG's on that list.
well, aside from westbrook.
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:30 AM   #12 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,149
Representing:
Default

If Kevin Lowry has Alvin Williams' respect, he has to be good.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,163
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
well, aside from westbrook.
Including Westbrook. Per game stats are a fool's game.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,881
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
Westbrook is a PG
a chucker of a PG. "chuckle westchuck" is my name for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanH View Post
Including Westbrook. Per game stats are a fool's game.
agreed. would be a great SG.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
If Kevin Lowry has Alvin Williams' respect, he has to be good.

Who's Kevin Lowry?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #16 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Who's Kevin Lowry?
I searched the internet as you could have
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:10 AM   #17 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
a chucker of a PG. "chuckle westchuck" is my name for him.



agreed. would be a great SG.
just because he isn't a pure/traditional pg doesn't mean he's not a good pg.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #18 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,562
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojiphre View Post
Well I googled it and it came up with nothing relevant, something to do with some christian stuff.

So what did your internet search reveal?
Chiggmo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)
Rey
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Representing:
Default

Rockets fan here.

Just a personal observation of Kyle Lowry.

He is a really good player. He can compete with the best pg's in the league on any given night. Not an elite player, but he is really good. Has a knack for hitting buzzer beaters, but not necessarily buzzer beaters to win games. More like shot clock, halftime type shots. He has become a good three point shooter. He can dribble to get a mid range shot....sometimes.

My biggest problem with Lowry was that he was kind of whiny on the court. Constantly at the refs, barking about calls. I felt like at times he killed team momentum because he'd be complaining so much.

I thought Dragic was a better player and I think Lin is a better player, but I think Lowry is really good in his own right. You guys got a good player. Don't know if he is a difference maker, but he will definitely play hard every game. That is a guarantee.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my perspective.
Rey is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:47 PM   #20 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,478
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Rockets fan here.

Just a personal observation of Kyle Lowry.

He is a really good player. He can compete with the best pg's in the league on any given night. Not an elite player, but he is really good. Has a knack for hitting buzzer beaters, but not necessarily buzzer beaters to win games. More like shot clock, halftime type shots. He has become a good three point shooter. He can dribble to get a mid range shot....sometimes.

My biggest problem with Lowry was that he was kind of whiny on the court. Constantly at the refs, barking about calls. I felt like at times he killed team momentum because he'd be complaining so much.

I thought Dragic was a better player and I think Lin is a better player, but I think Lowry is really good in his own right. You guys got a good player. Don't know if he is a difference maker, but he will definitely play hard every game. That is a guarantee.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my perspective.
Thanks.


But I have to say Lowry>>>>Lin, just based on experience and Defense alone. A little premature to say Lin is better than anyone and he's a turnover machine. As far as not being a game changer, was Houston not a playoff team last season before he got hurt?

Last edited by jeffb; 07-29-2012 at 01:51 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24