Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Koreen: Raptors look to pick up the pace (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/koreen-raptors-look-pick-up-pace-25989.html)

LX 11-04-2013 05:37 PM

Koreen: Raptors look to pick up the pace
 
Toronto Raptors look to pick up the pace on offence | National Post

Quote:

While their offence has been fairly average to start the year — 16th in offensive efficiency, to be exact — the Toronto Raptors have been difficult to watch when they have had the ball through three games.

There has been lots of one-on-one playing, standing around and stagnation. Both the starting point guard and the coach have a suggestion on how to fix that.

“Play off of our defence right now,” Kyle Lowry said. “Get out in transition. Get easy baskets. Get [DeMar DeRozan and Rudy Gay] good shots. Make sure we’re playing in transition and not playing slow-down basketball, because our offence isn’t as up to speed as our defence.”

Essentially: run. The Raptors have ranked 23rd in the league so far in pace of play. (A note on all statistics: The sample size is very small, obviously.)

“Even on [opposition baskets], you’ve still got to bring it up with pace more so than we did in Atlanta [on Friday in a loss]. I thought in Atlanta, we slowed down,” Raptors coach Dwane Casey said. “We started walking the ball up the floor. We don’t necessarily have to come down and shoot quickly. But we’ve got to get the ball up the floor quicker and get into the offence quicker. That way we’re not playing against the clock.”

204raptorsfan 11-04-2013 07:51 PM

Here's another option. Run some plays.

pzabby 11-04-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 204raptorsfan (Post 826935)
Here's another option. Run some plays for someone other than demar or rudy.

fixed ;)

Carlos Danger 11-04-2013 07:56 PM

Just take a break guys. 2-79 is perfectly acceptable!

myklue 11-05-2013 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 204raptorsfan (Post 826935)
Here's another option. Run some plays.

+1 ... but wait dwayne casey doesn't know any....nor inbound plays actually

rapsmannn 11-05-2013 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 204raptorsfan (Post 826935)
Here's another option. Run some plays.

+1

DDUnreal 11-05-2013 08:52 AM

Here's another option, players execute the plays.

rapsmannn 11-05-2013 09:22 AM

really what plays should the execute

demar or rudy curling for 10 to 15 seconds while the shot clock burns out for terrible shots, yay fun

LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! 11-05-2013 09:35 AM

Let's play 3 wings who can't shoot out there. A SF at PF. Limit the minutes of the supposed future of the franchise. Lastly, isos and wing isos all day and everyday #casey

fantapoppa 11-05-2013 10:02 AM

Lowry and Casey have these great ideas!
Lets see some up tempo basketball against the heat tonight, it will definitely be more exciting to watch :mattyd:

DanH 11-05-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! (Post 827022)
Let's play 3 wings who can't shoot out there. A SF at PF. Limit the minutes of the supposed future of the franchise. Lastly, isos and wing isos all day and everyday #casey

Make sure to keep the ball out of the hands of the one shot creator on the team. Have our best traditional big man flash to the corners for threes.

TORaptor4Ever 11-05-2013 10:40 AM

I miss those nice Amir to Ed big to big passes. :(

LOG 11-05-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever (Post 827030)
I miss those nice Amir to Ed big to big passes. :(


We still get those, Amir is one of few people on this team who is always looking to pass to JV.

moremilk 11-05-2013 01:23 PM

it's not as much the pace as the amount of isos, standing around and bad shots taken that makes our offense really ugly.

0nekhmer 11-05-2013 03:29 PM

This is stupid, running more will not only result in more turnovers, but fatigue that will show on the defensive end. We've seen this far too many times now, teams that know how to play half court ball efficiently will win.

halphbreedballer 11-05-2013 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0nekhmer (Post 827087)
This is stupid, running more will not only result in more turnovers, but fatigue that will show on the defensive end. We've seen this far too many times now, teams that know how to play half court ball efficiently will win.

You need to be good at both to win IMO

LX 11-05-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0nekhmer (Post 827087)
This is stupid, running more will not only result in more turnovers, but fatigue that will show on the defensive end. We've seen this far too many times now, teams that know how to play half court ball efficiently will win.

If it's running like Triano looked to do it, then you're right. But if they run off of defensive stops more than anything then it should be ok. They look to be in good condition. I look forward to seeing if the balance gets tipped too far or whether they can open up more opportunities.

DanH 11-05-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LX (Post 827089)
If it's running like Triano looked to do it, then you're right. But if they run off of defensive stops more than anything then it should be ok. They look to be in good condition. I look forward to seeing if the balance gets tipped too far or whether they can open up more opportunities.

There were a couple quotes about how they want to run "even off of scores" which is very much the Triano running model - run no matter what.

Running should happen all by itself - focus on the stops, and the transition game will come. Defense has a long way to go before transition offense is a concern.

LX 11-05-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanH (Post 827093)
There were a couple quotes about how they want to run "even off of scores" which is very much the Triano running model - run no matter what.

Running should happen all by itself - focus on the stops, and the transition game will come. Defense has a long way to go before transition offense is a concern.

I agree with the uneasiness, but Casey did qualify that quite a bit. To me it sounds like he just doesn't want it walked up. He wants the pace picked up, not necessarily for quick shots, a la Jay, but rather to get an advantage over the defense setting up. It could be a very good way to get Valančiūnas more involved if he is able to beat his man down the court.

Shifty.py 11-05-2013 04:28 PM

I think the whole topic is another way of saying we have problems against set defences


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24