Kings and Raps going to make hard push for Chandler? - Page 2
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,239
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Does Stein not realize that Dallas has 63Mil commited to 10 players with likely a hard cap coming.
Yes but I'm sure Dallas realises that Chandler is like the second biggest reason they won this year. They'll find a way to keep him.
Blaze is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:18 PM   #22 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Does Stein not realize that Dallas has 63Mil commited to 10 players with likely a hard cap coming.
But if the hard cap does come, it will likely be accompanied by salary reductions, or an amnesty clause for the largest contract on each team (similar to the NFL). Those scenarios could allow Dallas to keep Chandler. Dallas will likely have to let somebody walk, but I bet Cuban let's Butler and Barea go before he loses Chandler.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #23 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,142
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
But if the hard cap does come, it will likely be accompanied by salary reductions, or an amnesty clause for the largest contract on each team (similar to the NFL). Those scenarios could allow Dallas to keep Chandler. Dallas will likely have to let somebody walk, but I bet Cuban let's Butler and Barea go before he loses Chandler.
Butler's not under contract and they still owe 63Mil to 10 players. Which means they'll have to trade some of their better players to try and sign Chandler, and they'd still have holes to fill. Not saying it can't or won't be done, but it's far from a lock.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:38 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,884
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Butler's not under contract and they still owe 63Mil to 10 players. Which means they'll have to trade some of their better players to try and sign Chandler, and they'd still have holes to fill. Not saying it can't or won't be done, but it's far from a lock.
Why would Dallas have to trade their better players to keep Chandler? Do they not have his bird rights?
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:39 PM   #25 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Butler's not under contract
I know. Neither is Barea, and that's why I said Cuban would let Butler and Barea go before Chandler. The salary reduction on existing contracts and/or amnesty clause could free up the money for Chandler, but then the others will be left to walk.


Quote:
and they still owe 63Mil to 10 players.
No shit. That's why I mention salary reductions and the amnesty clause. Perhaps you don't understand what that means, so I'll explain: if the players are forced to agree to a salary reduction, then they won't owe 63 million. Also, if there is an amnesty clause for the highest salary on each team, that will provide huge relief, because Dirk makes about $20 million. That could free up some money to pay Chandler.

Quote:
Which means they'll have to trade some of their better players to try and sign Chandler, and they'd still have holes to fill.
No, not necessarily. They just might have to let Butler and Barea walk. It depends on what stipulations accompany the hard cap, if there is one. They can't just implement a hard cap without accompanying regulations to account for the surplus salary floating around the league. There is either reductions on existing contracts, or an amnesty clause of some sort.

Look, I'd like to see Chandler in Toronto. Jonas won't be fully developed for a few more years, so Chandler could be valuable. I'm just being realistic, though. It's not a lock he stays in Dallas, but nobody is saying that. I just think it's likely Dallas finds a way to keep him.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:41 PM   #26 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post
Why would Dallas have to trade their better players to keep Chandler? Do they not have his bird rights?
In a strictly hard cap system, there are no bird rights. If it's a soft cap, then no doubt they keep Chandler. Jeff is bringing up the 63 million because he is anticipating a hard cap system.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:44 PM   #27 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,142
Representing:
Default

I'm confused


If they let Barea and Butler walk they still owe 63Mil, no? And with a hard cap couldn't afford Chandler, no? I must be missing something....fuck it then let's sign Butler.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:57 PM   #28 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I'm confused


If they let Barea and Butler walk they still owe 63Mil, no? And with a hard cap couldn't afford Chandler, no? I must be missing something....fuck it then let's sign Butler.
If the NBA institutes a hard cap, it might be accompanied by reductions on EXISTING contracts. That means that the contracts that are already signed, will be reduced in their value. Dallas won't owe $63 million if the salaries are reduced by 20 or 25%. The Mavs payroll would be under $50 million.

If the salaries are not reduced, and the league still moves to a hard cap, then they will probably issue an amnesty clause scenario. In that situation, one way of handling things is to allow each team to have one salary that does not count against the cap. In Dallas' case, it would be Dirk, who makes $20 million. That would free up money to keep one of their free agents.

There are just too many teams in the luxury tax. The league can't just implement a hard cap without accounting for the other logistical difficulties. There is too much surplus salary floating around, unless the hard cap was in the high 60s.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 PM   #29 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,142
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
If the NBA institutes a hard cap, it might be accompanied by reductions on EXISTING contracts. That means that the contracts that are already signed, will be reduced in their value. Dallas won't owe $63 million if the salaries are reduced by 20 or 25%. The Mavs payroll would be under $50 million.

If the salaries are not reduced, and the league still moves to a hard cap, then they will probably issue an amnesty clause scenario. In that situation, one way of handling things is to allow each team to have one salary that does not count against the cap. In Dallas' case, it would be Dirk, who makes $20 million. That would free up money to keep one of their free agents.

There are just too many teams in the luxury tax. The league can't just implement a hard cap without accounting for the other logistical difficulties. There is too much surplus salary floating around, unless the hard cap was in the high 60s.
Ok i get it. Well if that's the case our capspace would get up as well.

Thanks for the clarification.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,272
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Ok i get it. Well if that's the case our capspace would get up as well.
Under the salary reduction scenario, yeah.

But under the amnesty scenario, the Raps would not necessarily gain that much, since Jose is our highest paid player, and he is not even making $10 mill. Amnesty would be more beneficial to other teams.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
awesome

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 710
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
29 is old? Good lord people, we can't have 15 23yr olds.
We have Bargs who's 20 (turning 26), Barbosa who's 28 (turning 29) and Calderon who's 29 (turning 30).
RaptorsFan4Life is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:30 PM   #32 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,884
Representing:
Default

Sources told ESPN.com that there has been minimal conversation between the Mavericks and Tyson Chandler about an extension since Dallas won the first championship in franchise history on June 12.

As badly as the Mavericks want the vocal Chandler back to reprise his role as the most impactful frontcourt sidekick Dirk Nowitzki has ever played with, team officials are apparently determined to see exactly how restrictive the new salary-cap rules are after the lockout before trying to re-sign the Team USA big man.

Chandler finished third in the league last season in NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting after averaging 10.1 points and 9.4 boards while playing in 74 of 82 games despite concerns about his injury history.

Via Marc Stein/E


Read more: Chandler Expected To Opt For Unrestricted Free Agency - RealGM Wiretap
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:32 PM   #33 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,884
Representing:
Default

^^^ I don't think he wants to wait for the new CBA, ^^^ I say sign him tonight
DocHoliday99 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:41 PM   #34 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,219
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
He's a 6'9"ish PF.... similar enough, replaceable enough. 7'C's are much more rare.
And their height is about all they have in common.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 PM   #35 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,429
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
29 is old? Good lord people, we can't have 15 23yr olds.
well, considering that we are probably 3-4 years from being legitimately good (with some luck).... yeah, he's too old.
XiaominWu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10gizzle View Post
And their height is about all they have in common.
not true,... but whatevs.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:14 AM   #37 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,010
Representing:
Default

4 yrs (2nd 2 years team option,) 8/10/11/12?

he wouldn't accept that would he?
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:42 PM   #38 (permalink)
Follow @raptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,686
Representing:
Default

Guess we gotta wait
box92 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 PM   #39 (permalink)
Psi
Only likes Hockey with 'Fantasy' infront of it

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,873
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
4 yrs (2nd 2 years team option,) 8/10/11/12?

he wouldn't accept that would he?
He would.
Just think
If everyone took at 25% pay cut, his salary would be:
10/12.5/13.5/15

If a hard cap goes in, I expect him to get something like 7/8.5/10/11
Psi is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 03:22 PM   #40 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

With Chandler's injury history it is a risky investment. He really hasn't played a full season with starter's minutes since 07-08.

So, keep in mind that with his physical health he's probably best suited for a role of the bench for the remainder of his career. Or, at least a role with reduced minutes.

People always say that bigs take a longer time to develop. Well, they also have shorter careers. Most big Cs aren't playing full minutes after 30.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24