Just get a jump shooter already
Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default Just get a jump shooter already

So, I was reading today's Star (I'm sure it'll be up in the dish), when I read this quote from Triano:

Quote:
I mean, its been a nice challenge, actually, to try to find ways, to read ways, to get DeMar (DeRozan) looks when everybody knows that youre going to go to DeMar because hes rolling, hes got 25 points or to give Andrea (Bargnani) the ball in a position where people might not expect it, Triano said Thursday.

All its done, really, is limit the number of options I have. I cant get (Leandro) Barbosa on an empty side (of the court) where he can use his quickness or a (Linas) Kleiza jump shot or something like that. Its just restricted the guys I can focus things on.
I'm looking at the Kleiza quote. Kleiza's BIGGEST strength is his post up game. Instead we're using him as a jump shooter. Why not use his strengths? It was the same thing with Turkoglu last year.

From an NBA.com interview:

Quote:
"Instead I was used in a different way in both of those situations. I don't have an answer for that. They tried to use me as a guy off the ball, a spot-up shooter. I respect those teams and maybe what their plans were. I went out there and tried to do my best in those situations. But it wasn't me. It wasn't who I can be."
Say what you will about Turk (lazy, fat, unmotivated etc.) but it seems that all we're looking for from our SF is to be a jump shooter instead of learning about their strengths and integrating them into the play.

Now, I really like Triano as a basketball mind. I've heard him speak in person (about 5 years ago) and he's a really nice guy and knows more than I could ever know about the game. However, even smart people make mistakes and I can't help but think he doesn't know how to use certain players. He has his offensive set and makes player adapt, rather than adjusting offensive sets to showcase those players skill sets.

I really wonder, what could have been had we had a different offensive game plan.

Sources:

Return to Orlando a very comfortable fit for Turkoglu | NBA.com

Raptors coach Triano juggles decimated lineup - thestar.com
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,278
Representing:
Default

That first quote is a bit confusing....

Kleiza has never proven he can post up effectively in the NBA.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Kleiza had success as a jump shooter with Denver. That part of his game seems to have deteriorated while he was in Europe.

I agree with Triano that the Raptors need Kleiza to start hitting from midrange and especially from 3.

Hopefully Linas will regain his shooting accuracy after a little rest.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #4 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
That first quote is a bit confusing....

Kleiza has never proven he can post up effectively in the NBA.
I think his size @ SF can be used there. He seems a bit more at ease in the post for me and more involved in the game.

When he's out on the wing, he seems to being going through the motion.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,278
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
I think his size @ SF can be used there. He seems a bit more at ease in the post for me and more involved in the game.

When he's out on the wing, he seems to being going through the motion.
He's had opportunities in the post this season. You look around the league and there aren't many SF who can get a post game off. Lebron, Joe Johnson are a few of them. Even a guy like Artest doesn't have a surefire post game and if anybody was going to have one it would be him.

You also have to consider who Kleiza would be posting up...it's no easy task. Every SF in the league has size this day and age.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,987
Representing:
Default

I think the post-up game is not very effective in general anymore, with the lane being more crowded and what used to be illegal defenses now being usable, so that players do not have to commit to the double until the offensive player makes his move. That takes away the threat of a pass and leaves the guy posting up going up against two or three defenders. It hasn't even worked very well for Lebron.

Kleiza has managed to only take the paint off the front rims.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
He's had opportunities in the post this season. You look around the league and there aren't many SF who can get a post game off. Lebron, Joe Johnson are a few of them. Even a guy like Artest doesn't have a surefire post game and if anybody was going to have one it would be him.

You also have to consider who Kleiza would be posting up...it's no easy task. Every SF in the league has size this day and age.
While, I agree, (to an extent), I'll take Triano's words then:

Quote:
You can see the way he passes the ball, hes not a selfish scorer. He can score by shooting it, facing up, mid-range. Hes got a back-to-the-basket game when hes got a smaller guy on him.
Quote:
When he plays at the four, he gives you an opportunity to spread big guys away from the basket; if you put a smaller three on him, it gives us an opportunity to post up a guy that he might have an advantage over.
Kleiza delivers for Raptors - thestar.com

To me, I've never seen Kleiza as a straight jump shooter. He's not a guy you want driving as he has tunnel vision. He's got good footwork in the post and while it's not advanced, it's not his weakest area as well.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,596
Representing:
Default

i think kleiza is our best post up player. that doesn't mean he's excellent at it, but i can't think of another raptor who i want operating in the post with his back to the basket on a regular basis. Bargs would be nice, but other than that little hook thingy he's really a terrible post up guy.

you need at least one guy that can operate down there in order to free things up for your jump shooters. they should at least try getting kleiza going and see if that makes the mid range stuff open up for demar, barbosa, weems, jose, etc.
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #9 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,987
Representing:
Default

You're really just asking your offensive player to wreck the flow of the offense while taking away any kind of space to operate. If the traditional use of post-ups was still in play, then it's a whole different story. It was a huge staple with any kind of successful team in the past. Now it just feeds into what defenses want to see. Even the Raptors have looked good defending postups.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:57 AM   #10 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

I'd like to see Kleiza strictly take jumpers from the corner. He doesn't have the range and arc on his jumper to shoot well from the top. He can emulate Bruce Bowen, sans the defense.

As far as his game in the post, it seems that he only has a single move. It's not just his go-to-move, it's his only move. That being a drop step righty hook.
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,278
Representing:
Default

I would take Bargnani or even Derozan at the two spot down in the post. It hasn't been an easy task to even get Linas the ball with good position.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:00 AM   #12 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,944
Representing:
Default

As far is Turkoglu is concerned - I'd concede him as BC's mistake first. Here, as in Phoenix, he was supposed to share the floor (and the ball) with the pure pass-first point guards in Calderon and Nash, while in Orlando, the place he seems to have always been most comfortable with, Nelson is happy to let him facilitate the offence while playing largely off the ball in the half-court sets. As such, it was folly for Colangelo and whoever makes decisions for the Suns these days to acquire Hedo thinking he is going to thrive in their respective systems.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:07 AM   #13 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,278
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I think the post-up game is not very effective in general anymore, with the lane being more crowded and what used to be illegal defenses now being usable, so that players do not have to commit to the double until the offensive player makes his move. That takes away the threat of a pass and leaves the guy posting up going up against two or three defenders. It hasn't even worked very well for Lebron.

Kleiza has managed to only take the paint off the front rims.
His post game was almost non-existant in Cleveland, and although he is still indecisive and throws up some ugly shots after passing up easy ones, I think it looks like his post game is coming together.

And he's one guy with his speed and strength, and possessing the threat to turn and put down an alley oop if he's fronted, that almost always gets really deep position. He hasn't become the scorer he can be from that spot, but he's still getting his teammates some really easy looks.

I could see him being a dominant post player in a few seasons, and I wouldn't be suprised if he proved unstoppable in the post in a few series this post-season. I can't help but think that in a 7 game series, Miami is going to hang their hat on a Lebron/Pierce type of match up in the post.


You are correct though, you just don't see consistant post ups unless it involves players with significant athletic advantages. Like Dwight, Yao or Shaq.

Their aren't any more Corliss Williamsons in the league, 6'6 SF who get to operate in space in the post.

Last edited by bjjs; 01-28-2011 at 10:11 AM.
bjjs is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:10 AM   #14 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
I would take Bargnani or even Derozan at the two spot down in the post. It hasn't been an easy task to even get Linas the ball with good position.
I could be wrong, but I think I've seen DeRozan receive the ball in the post a few times and he hasn't been completely lost.

I do remember him hitting a fade-away baseline last game so maybe that's something he's working on perfecting.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #15 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,134
Representing:
Default

i really like the catch and shoot kleiza though, his shot has so much shot preparation and looks like it's going down each time, i guess he was injured in that stretch of awful games, shooting like under 30%. he shouldn't get as many touches but look to be a shawn marion type
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 10:43 AM   #16 (permalink)
far away

Senior Member
 
archie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panama City
Posts: 981
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Kleiza had success as a jump shooter with Denver. That part of his game seems to have deteriorated while he was in Europe.

I agree with Triano that the Raptors need Kleiza to start hitting from midrange and especially from 3.

Hopefully Linas will regain his shooting accuracy after a little rest.
3 point line was really closer in europe maybe he get accostumed to that distance and need more time to adapt
archie63 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:28 AM   #17 (permalink)
is waiting for the season to start

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,223
Representing:
Default

I dont know what happened with Klieza... he couldn't miss in the pre season...
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:29 AM   #18 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,078
Representing:
Default

I think Kleiza's skill-set is not suited for being a consistent part of the offense. He does not have the handles to break down a player from the perimeter; he is not as good of a spot-up shooter as expected, either; and a SF posting up is not as advantageous because it is easier to time your doubles and, without a size advantage over everyone like a dominant big might have, Kleiza might have barely an advantage on the guy guarding him. Once upon a time, even a PG could dominate this league with his post game; I don't think the NBA is like that any more.

I totally agree that they need to do a better job of using Kleiza or find a Mike Miller/Kyle Korver if that's what they really want at that position. It's not like Kleiza is making up for it with his defense or rebounding, either.

Last edited by Ligeia; 01-28-2011 at 12:44 PM.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:49 AM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Scully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 872
Representing:
Default

I don't think we can really determine who on this team has good post presence. It is not really a part of our strategy. Traino has in imo opted with this team to drag bigs away from the basket trying to open up lanes for wing players or playing pick and pop with Andrea. The the closest we get is Andrea playing high post iso.

Kleiza isn't effective enough to have any low post presence, because he is not quick enough or explosive enough to be unaffected by the weak side help (and to be honest is rarely in position were he has the advantage of size and length).

The biggest problem is are best passer in the post is Andrea, and he always come off as kind of containable, not drawing doubles, easily pushed in to a jump shot.

I don't know if any of you caught KG playing high post last night vs. the blazers, but that is exactly the presence we need from Andrea. Some one out there looking first for high percentage shots, not always falling into the pump fake, jab step, drive or shoot scenario.
Scully is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #20 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Scully's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 872
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjjs View Post
His post game was almost non-existant in Cleveland, and although he is still indecisive and throws up some ugly shots after passing up easy ones, I think it looks like his post game is coming together.

And he's one guy with his speed and strength, and possessing the threat to turn and put down an alley oop if he's fronted, that almost always gets really deep position. He hasn't become the scorer he can be from that spot, but he's still getting his teammates some really easy looks.

I could see him being a dominant post player in a few seasons, and I wouldn't be suprised if he proved unstoppable in the post in a few series this post-season. I can't help but think that in a 7 game series, Miami is going to hang their hat on a Lebron/Pierce type of match up in the post.


You are correct though, you just don't see consistant post ups unless it involves players with significant athletic advantages. Like Dwight, Yao or Shaq.

Their aren't any more Corliss Williamsons in the league, 6'6 SF who get to operate in space in the post.
I think Scola is one of the exceptions in this case. He has some great post moves. But you don't see foot work like his everyday.
Scully is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24