Julian Wright needs more burn!! - Page 4
Old 01-06-2011, 09:48 AM   #61 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabe91 View Post
I actually love the way Barbosa and Wright play together. Compliment each other nicely imo.
You're right... with all of the aggressive drives to the rim by Barbosa, Wright is the kind of player that always finds loose balls around the rim, and with the defence reacting to Barbosa he should benefit greatly.

Love Wright's size and length on this team... much needed over previous years.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #62 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,020
Representing:
Default

I am actually not suggesting that Wright should start (see the comments about his shooting), but he absolutely deserves at least 15-20 minutes per game at SF, and perhaps more, depending on how well Kleiza plays on that particular night.

Happily, this also resolves redundancy the Raps have when Weems and DeRozan start together. One of these two will be gone this summer, most likely Weems.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #63 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,548
Representing:
Default

weems lost his spot..
he shouldn't start anymore..

I like wright or either kleiza to start over weems, because they bring something different on the court, wright has energy, good defense and a good passer, keiza can shoot and has a decent post up game, these two guys compliment the rest of the starters

all weems does is jack up shots, you can't be doing that when you have Bargs and derozan as option one and two..

weems is the perfect bench guy.. come in for derozan and provide offense, I think that's where is role is best suited, he can jack all the shots he wants coming off the bench
creative1mm is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:52 AM   #64 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1mm View Post
weems lost his spot..
he shouldn't start anymore..

I like wright or either kleiza to start over weems, because they bring something different on the court, wright has energy, good defense and a good passer, keiza can shoot and has a decent post up game, these two guys compliment the rest of the starters

all weems does is jack up shots, you can't be doing that when you have Bargs and derozan as option one and two..

weems is the perfect bench guy.. come in for derozan and provide offense, I think that's where is role is best suited, he can jack all the shots he wants coming off the bench
I'd rather my SF off the bench bring what Julian 'Money' Wright brings, athleticism, defence, energy and willpower to resist jacking shots.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #65 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,020
Representing:
Default

We don't need both DeRozan and Weems, no matter how close they are. Sad, but true.

When you only have 15 players on the roster, and only 8-10 of those play regularly, you can't afford to have clones, especially if the mold is far from perfect to begin with.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 AM   #66 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 29,822
Representing:
Default

I'd love to see Wright develop a role that is similar to Manu's in San Antonio. Please note that I am referring to the role and not the player. They are never going to be the same player, but Wright does have a knack for kamikaze aggressiveness, toughness, and being in the right spot and seeing the floor well. If he could pull a Manu and develop a long-range shot, he could be a pretty exciting 6th man while being essential to finishing games.

That's a long way off right now. He does have a lot of raw edges to his game. And it's not like he was up against a good team last night. But I would like to see an extrapolation of his play in those sorts of terms. Maybe send him off to Argentina in the off-season.

There's also a little bit of Shawn Marion in him, especially with the putbacks and long outlet passes. The main thing is to work with this guy and get a role down pat for him where he becomes something of a glue guy. And then trade Kleiza, who has simply failed to be that guy.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 AM   #67 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I'd love to see Wright develop a role that is similar to Manu's in San Antonio. Please note that I am referring to the role and not the player. They are never going to be the same player, but Wright does have a knack for kamikaze aggressiveness, toughness, and being in the right spot and seeing the floor well. If he could pull a Manu and develop a long-range shot, he could be a pretty exciting 6th man while being essential to finishing games.

That's a long way off right now. He does have a lot of raw edges to his game. And it's not like he was up against a good team last night. But I would like to see an extrapolation of his play in those sorts of terms. Maybe send him off to Argentina in the off-season.

There's also a little bit of Shawn Marion in him, especially with the putbacks and long outlet passes. The main thing is to work with this guy and get a role down pat for him where he becomes something of a glue guy. And then trade Kleiza, who has simply failed to be that guy.
not sure Kleiza was brought in to be that guy, but I agree with the rest of what you're saying. Wright can be that kamikaze type player. I really like his role in our zone D too.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:22 AM   #68 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,020
Representing:
Default

As far as his ability to facilitate the offence from forward position as well as his defensive prowess, I see a lot of Scottie Pippen in him. Same long arms, same knack for passing, same ability to stuff the stats in all the meaningful categories. Yes, obviously it's not a direct comparison, but it's all there in flashes, flashes being the key word.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:27 AM   #69 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 29,822
Representing:
Default

Scottie was just so smooth offensively though, and could really expand his role. Wright needs to be hemmed in from trying to to do too much on his own while playing the same sort of all-around game, because he can look downright awkward without some good, clear sense of direction as his foundation.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:30 AM   #70 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,484
Representing:
Default

Weems is getting a lot of hate right now but the reality of the situation is that he's played well for us far more than he's stunk it up. I still like his athleticism and midrange game. And he's still far beyond Kleiza defensively.

Kleiza's had good games but I've never been completely sold on him.

Weems and Wright at the SF spot for me.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:37 AM   #71 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,020
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Scottie was just so smooth offensively though, and could really expand his role. Wright needs to be hemmed in from trying to to do too much on his own while playing the same sort of all-around game, because he can look downright awkward without some good, clear sense of direction as his foundation.
No doubt, but you see where I am coming from, though. The thing is, I can see some serious basketball IQ in him, something that's been in short supply on this team for ages now (if not forever). Perhaps it's my personal penchant for liking smart players, but I'd love for him to stick around and get better with the young core. If he manages to improve, he could be a future star and a glue guy at SF.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:38 AM   #72 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,020
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Weems is getting a lot of hate right now but the reality of the situation is that he's played well for us far more than he's stunk it up. I still like his athleticism and midrange game. And he's still far beyond Kleiza defensively.

Kleiza's had good games but I've never been completely sold on him.

Weems and Wright at the SF spot for me.
For me, it's not hating Weems as much as recognizing the fact that he is completely redundant with DeRozan on the team.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #73 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,020
Representing:
Default

And speaking of Wright's defence (and keeping in mind that he, just like Scottie used to, is actually capable of defending multiple perimeter positions) - Rondo is definitely rounding back into top shape, right? So, on Friday in Boston, if I am Triano, I'd actually start Wright and put him on Rondo, letting Jose (or Bayless, whichever is our starting PG de jour) attempt to battle Ray Allen.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:06 PM   #74 (permalink)
Mean Muggin with his son

Swollen Member
 
b55bgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: The Rock AKA Newfoundland
Posts: 1,400
Representing:
Default

I second that MIKETORONTO.

But we will see what happens. We are gonna lose regardless, rondo is so hard to handle.
b55bgc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:27 PM   #75 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,544
Representing:
Default

like weems or bayless, wright is a player who need to show other that he deserve to be in NBA. So i see him like them do too much maybe.
But as far as i concern, wright show more sign of possibilities increase than kleiza.
i don't hate kleiza, but too much TO and i don't know why but i'm boring every time i watch him play.
but you must admit he play well, at least decent. and our problem are not the starting job really, it's more an healthy problem.
when you have more than half your roster who don't know if they could play because of injury, it's hard.
atleast they compete, and try hard every time. you can't name one game (except @wash) where they don't stand until the end.

last year we would be screaming about 4th poor Q, where we lose many games. But not this year (even if this happen again sometimes)
the 2nd Q is our biggest problem so far.
and i think Wright if he can be off the bench at the start of the second Q can bring us more defense and create more offense.

first unit :
jose / DD / Kleiza / Amir / Bargs

second unit
bayless/ barbosa or weems / wright / davis / dorsey.

i like dorsey, but we really need a more sizable Center as backup if we keep all this player in our roster.

wright really need more minutes to take confidence, and with our situation (4 or 5 SF player) it's hard when everybody is healthy.

I hope i find a way to get a contract at the end of this season, and be in Raptors uni next one. but he need to have a role like tony allen has in memphis. the defenser who when he come in to the game, change the philosophy of this team and make every body defend better, just because he is here.

i hope so he could have all this. but he need minutes to put consistence and confidence, and he will only get minutes if he produce more often. he is still young (23) and has huge skills, don't let that go away because of weems or kleiza.

Last edited by Bankiz; 01-06-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Bankiz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 01:36 PM   #76 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,484
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
For me, it's not hating Weems as much as recognizing the fact that he is completely redundant with DeRozan on the team.
I don't quite see it that way.

Weems is a better defender and actually has some semblance of a jumpshot. Better court vision too.

DD is better at driving the ball and finishing through contact though.

Both are athletes (like Wright) which is what this team has needed for YEARS.... and that's why I'd keep both and ditch Kleiza (who's skills are redundant with Bargs in the squad IMO).
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:56 PM   #77 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 79,616
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I don't quite see it that way.

Weems is a better defender and actually has some semblance of a jumpshot. Better court vision too.

DD is better at driving the ball and finishing through contact though.

Both are athletes (like Wright) which is what this team has needed for YEARS.... and that's why I'd keep both and ditch Kleiza (who's skills are redundant with Bargs in the squad IMO).
How are Kleiza's skills redundant? I think Weems is more redundant especially when paired with Derozan.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #78 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
How are Kleiza's skills redundant? I think Weems is more redundant especially when paired with Derozan.
Kleiza isn't redundant. The guy has been playing hurt and it shows. Weems, thinks he is Vince Carter. Dunking ain't overrated though.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #79 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,751
Representing:
Default

I just realized that Wright played some PG in high school. Thats where interesting dribble moves and passing comes from!
And an excellent court vision, too.
Shifty.py is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM   #80 (permalink)
rootin for the eagles, boise state, the leafs, raps, and jays

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Halifax
Posts: 5,660
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I don't quite see it that way.

Weems is a better defender and actually has some semblance of a jumpshot. Better court vision too.

DD is better at driving the ball and finishing through contact though.

Both are athletes (like Wright) which is what this team has needed for YEARS.... and that's why I'd keep both and ditch Kleiza (who's skills are redundant with Bargs in the squad IMO).
Weems is nothing to brag about on D, he has a horrid jumpshot, the only reason he even gets points is because he takes so many damn shots. Hes absolutely not worth starting, and hell in my eyes, hes not even worth playing.

In my opinion, he can't do anything but put up too many shots and keep the ball away from the real scoring options on the team. Considering your saying he has court vision he sure as hell never uses it.
Chiggmo is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24