Julian Wright needs more burn!! - Page 2
Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM   #21 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,069
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballWatcher View Post
Julian can be energy in a bottle, but he's a guy you put out for 5-15 minutes a night, not consistently 20+.
Bang on!!!
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 09:52 AM   #22 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,752
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ligeia View Post
Bang on!!!
Bang on!!!!
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #23 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,221
Representing:
Default

the thing i see with wright that impresses me if that when he's on the floor you can see he has all the skills at a satisfactory level, you can see he has the ability to pull off spin moves and stuff at that level of difficulty at a good speed (as seen last night when he even had the court vision on the spin to pass to davis for the dunk)
he seems to be pretty agile on the court, when i first saw him i thought he would be a slower big man that was just athletic
but he can defend and he's pretty agile with the ability to do most things on the court and he knows his role, the only thing he needs to really do is develop a consistent mid range shot so when its swung around to him he can hit that open jumper
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:43 AM   #24 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,752
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral View Post
the thing i see with wright that impresses me if that when he's on the floor you can see he has all the skills at a satisfactory level, you can see he has the ability to pull off spin moves and stuff at that level of difficulty at a good speed (as seen last night when he even had the court vision on the spin to pass to davis for the dunk)
he seems to be pretty agile on the court, when i first saw him i thought he would be a slower big man that was just athletic
but he can defend and he's pretty agile with the ability to do most things on the court and he knows his role, the only thing he needs to really do is develop a consistent mid range shot so when its swung around to him he can hit that open jumper
Yes unfortunately he has one of the worst jump shots in the league...
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:45 AM   #25 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

i think his role is fine the way ir is whenever wright is on the floor it seems like the raps go through major droughts offensively and dont score for a long period of time
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
the anti BC lol

Senior Member
 
leftcoastbballfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 526
Representing:
Default

I like what Wright has brought on occasion but IMO if he is a guy you are going to give 20-25 minutes a game we will be perpetually a lottery team.........no jump shot whatsoever, a little careless with the ball , average to poor free throw shooter.......ok so he tries defensively but he is in no means a defensive stopper. The RF peeps are defenitley a strange bunch........if most of this roster played 25 minutes scored no points had 4 boards 3 assists and a turnover the majority of this forum would be calling for Triano's head (as usual)
leftcoastbballfan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

the good thing about JW is that he is active, energetic and seems to have a nose for the ball. He is big enough to get garbage points inside on putbacks or off rebounds. His length defensively is hard for any other wing to match on this team too. Give him more playing time and tell him to get his points off junk. This would be one way to help improve this team defensively. Even the Celtics go through offensive droughts, but at least they can stop teams too.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:01 AM   #28 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastbballfan View Post
I like what Wright has brought on occasion but IMO if he is a guy you are going to give 20-25 minutes a game we will be perpetually a lottery team.........no jump shot whatsoever, a little careless with the ball , average to poor free throw shooter.......ok so he tries defensively but he is in no means a defensive stopper. The RF peeps are defenitley a strange bunch........if most of this roster played 25 minutes scored no points had 4 boards 3 assists and a turnover the majority of this forum would be calling for Triano's head (as usual)
you don't need all five guys bringing the same thing. IMO, JW deserves more time than others who have been neglecting their defensive effort in lieu of getting their shots. Everybody hates that we are such a poor defensive team, why not start with using his length and energy more?
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #29 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
fresh n' spicy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: mississauga
Posts: 998
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftcoastbballfan View Post
I like what Wright has brought on occasion but IMO if he is a guy you are going to give 20-25 minutes a game we will be perpetually a lottery team.........no jump shot whatsoever, a little careless with the ball , average to poor free throw shooter.......ok so he tries defensively but he is in no means a defensive stopper. The RF peeps are defenitley a strange bunch........if most of this roster played 25 minutes scored no points had 4 boards 3 assists and a turnover the majority of this forum would be calling for Triano's head (as usual)
jeff b
fresh n' spicy is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:04 AM   #30 (permalink)
........

Senior Member
 
MrClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,372
Representing:
Default

we cant really fire a coach with a team that doesnt have too much talent at the moment
MrClutch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:19 AM   #31 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,175
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdependent View Post
we cant really fire a coach with a team that doesnt have too much talent at the moment
Not until the summer. But this is his third season, we know what we have with him and imo it isn't good.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:37 AM   #32 (permalink)
pensive

feat. Otto Neurath
 
Ligeia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,069
Representing:
Default

You win when you score more points than the other team. That's why no one should be excited when Bargnani pours in 30 and is a sieve on defense.

Similarly, Wright's defense is valuable but only if the team can still score with him on the floor. Not being able to knockdown an open 18 ft jumper in this league is a serious detriment for a wing player to have. I love his defensive energy but there is no way that he should be averaging more than 20 minutes per game at this stage in his development.
Ligeia is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:46 AM   #33 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,489
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Not until the summer. But this is his third season, we know what we have with him and imo it isn't good.
this team is competing harder than last year... any of that attributable to Triano?

This team needs a voice to reach the wings on this team.... a voice like Smitch... but as an assistant.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #34 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,307
Representing:
Default

Jay has these guys playing hard
raps went into dallas and beat them..

there shouldn't be anything bad said about Triano for the rest of the season
creative1mm is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #35 (permalink)
back to fold laundry

Senior Member
 
FoldedLaundry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,393
Representing:
Default

I like having Julian on the court because of his defense and that he knows to play within his role. But its his offense that make me worried.
FoldedLaundry is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #36 (permalink)
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,465
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
the good thing about JW is that he is active, energetic and seems to have a nose for the ball. He is big enough to get garbage points inside on putbacks or off rebounds. His length defensively is hard for any other wing to match on this team too. Give him more playing time and tell him to get his points off junk. This would be one way to help improve this team defensively. Even the Celtics go through offensive droughts, but at least they can stop teams too.
Wright is definitely big enough to get puckbacks, in the same way that Bargs is definitely big enough to average 10+ rebounds a night. The problem is that they don't...

Wright is like a slightly better Joey Graham. Wright has surprised me with his quickness on defense lately, and if he keeps getting smart, timely charges and not becoming a black hole on O, he deserves some minutes as a specialist defender, especially on the Kobes and Wades/LeBrons of the NBA. An active guy who can frustrate a star player and use his 6 fouls wisely is a huge bonus in the NBA.

The problem with Wright is that his game is so limited. He can't create for himself, and we'll see outside of last night's anomaly, Wright is not a creator or anything but a complete liability on O. I'll definitely give him props for distributing well vs. Dallas. Can he keep that kind of performance up though?

Did anyone watch Wright in earlier games this year where all defenders had to do was crowd him and he'd cough up the ball? We'll see if Julian Wright can bring the energy every night, or if it was just the right place and right time for Wright to show his stuff last night.

For me, this will always summarize Julian Wright to a T, until he proves otherwise:
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:56 PM   #37 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,916
Representing:
Default

Bump

He is by far the smartest wing we've got. He is also the best perimeter defender we've got. If only he could make the mid-range J...
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:03 PM   #38 (permalink)
editing this message!

Senior Member
 
jj33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,471
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Bump

He is by far the smartest wing we've got. He is also the best perimeter defender we've got. If only he could make the mid-range J...
he would be Melo and not JUJU.
jj33 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:14 PM   #39 (permalink)
Landing flight 31

Senior Member
 
0nekhmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Brampton Ontario
Posts: 3,088
Representing:
Default

definitely needs more burn. it's one thing that he's our best perimeter defender, and an energy guy, but he's bringing in boards, assists, and points. guy is a must have type on every team
0nekhmer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 11:19 PM   #40 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,962
Representing:
Default

What does it mean to "need more burn"?
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24