Jose vs Jack
Old 10-12-2009, 01:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor
 
insight_tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,076
Representing:
Default Jose vs Jack

Jose vs TJ was a fierce topic in the past, that's why I think sooner or later Jose vs Jack topic is going to heat up a lot, therefore I dare to ask you: who is the PG you would want to close the games, Jose or Jack? We all know Jose is that kind of PG that control the tempo, he rarely gets out of control and he doesn't take too much risk. Jack, on the other hand, is more explosive and runs the team more impulsive.

Personally, I think that Jose and Jack should split the minutes even at PG, some games even playing together at 1&2. If team is behind, Jack should close the games and if the team is leading than Jose should close the game. If is close, depending on who is hot should close the game. I really hope that one playing more minutes won't became an issue to trouble us.
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,276
Representing:
I think they're both gonna play about 30mpg. And none of it will be an issue because Jose will play 30mpg at the point and Jack will play 18mpg at the point +12mpg on the floor with Jose @ 1 & 2. So there shouldn't be any controversy at all. Plus i don't think Jack has the same mentality as T.J, and is more of a team player.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
mooing

Senior Member
 
babyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,102
Representing:
Default

Whoever sucks the least should get more minutes. Simple
babyface is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #4 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 22,164
Representing:
Default

LOL. This already. I just hope there won't be a controversy and I doubt there will be one. Hopefully Jose can pull it all together after last year and show us why we signed him for 8 mil
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
Jay
is pounding the rock!

Administrator

 
Jay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,223
Representing:
Default

I'm not completely sure about the minutes, but I'm with jeffb on this one. Jack doesn't have the same sort of mentality as TJ, but he does love to push the ball, so that will be good for the Raptors. Everybody had better be heads up on the break.
Jay is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 4,061
Representing:
Default

Over the course of the pre-season so far, none has impressed me. It will be decided on a game-to-game basis.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 01:53 PM   #7 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Scouting Specialist
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,876
Representing:
Default

Jose should get the chance to show us why he is worth that contract. However Jack has looked a lot better this preseason.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
A Celtic-Red Sox hater!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 511
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface View Post
Whoever sucks the least should get more minutes. Simple
I'd have to agree with that, as simple as that is. But i will say one thing, a healthy Jose Calderon is most certainly a better player than Jarret Jack and i say that after watching alot of Jarret Jack from last season. Sure J.J may provide slightly better defence against point guards but Calderon beats him most everywhere else. Jack is a good defender against a guard but he too gets eaten alive by quick point guards. Jarret really started the season slow last year and was mountains better in the second half. Hopefully he can continue on from where he was at the end of last season without the early lull. To this point though, i have to say J.J has not shown that.
tvett6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Whats with this Jose vs Jack topic ? If anything Jack has not shown anything yet its pre season but so far he has shown us hes a bad shooter. Right now the league and Indy believe we paid way too much for Jack.When we signed Jose for 8 mil and he was being courted my many teams Jose went with his heart and stayed in Toronto instead of being greedy like most american ballers do. Jack should be a good back up for Jose. They both are differant players Jack is more of chucker and driver while Jose is your more typical pg. Jose is our quarterback of the team. I like Jack and what he has to offer but to believe he is going to be our starter at the pg position is rediculous.If anything there should be a Banks vs Jack discussion now that we have a healthy Banks.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor
 
insight_tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,076
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor123 View Post
Whats with this Jose vs Jack topic ? If anything Jack has not shown anything yet its pre season but so far he has shown us hes a bad shooter. Right now the league and Indy believe we paid way too much for Jack.When we signed Jose for 8 mil and he was being courted my many teams Jose went with his heart and stayed in Toronto instead of being greedy like most american ballers do. Jack should be a good back up for Jose. They both are differant players Jack is more of chucker and driver while Jose is your more typical pg. Jose is our quarterback of the team. I like Jack and what he has to offer but to believe he is going to be our starter at the pg position is rediculous.If anything there should be a Banks vs Jack discussion now that we have a healthy Banks.
For God sake, please read the message before posting a reply. I asked who should close the games, not who should start. Jeez!

Regarding how much we paid for Jose&Jack is not that relevant. When we had TJ vs Jose debates, Jose was making even less than Jake is making right now.

Last edited by insight_tor; 10-12-2009 at 03:26 PM.
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:30 PM   #11 (permalink)
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor
 
insight_tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,076
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvett6 View Post
I'd have to agree with that, as simple as that is. But i will say one thing, a healthy Jose Calderon is most certainly a better player than Jarret Jack and i say that after watching alot of Jarret Jack from last season. Sure J.J may provide slightly better defence against point guards but Calderon beats him most everywhere else. Jack is a good defender against a guard but he too gets eaten alive by quick point guards. Jarret really started the season slow last year and was mountains better in the second half. Hopefully he can continue on from where he was at the end of last season without the early lull. To this point though, i have to say J.J has not shown that.
The question is not about who is better overall, but who should close the games. As good as Jose is, he runs an offence that is sometimes too stale. If you need a spark at the end of game, you need to take more risk hoping to steal a win. During the game, is good to have a combination of Jose style and Jack style in order to keep other team permanently searching for solutions, making the strategy hard to guess.
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:37 PM   #12 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,276
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by insight_tor View Post
The question is not about who is better overall, but who should close the games. As good as Jose is, he runs an offence that is sometimes too stale. If you need a spark at the end of game, you need to take more risk hoping to steal a win. During the game, is good to have a combination of Jose style and Jack style in order to keep other team permanently searching for solutions, making the strategy hard to guess.
I think that at the end of the game we're gonna get both of them. Both can handle the ball and create along with Turkoglu, and Jack can defend the quicker opposing guard on the floor.

Jose
Jack
Turk
Bosh
Bargnani
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #13 (permalink)
a Triano's fan

The friendly neighbor
 
insight_tor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,076
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I think that at the end of the game we're gonna get both of them. Both can handle the ball and create along with Turkoglu, and Jack can defend the quicker opposing guard on the floor.

Jose
Jack
Turk
Bosh
Bargnani
Three ball handlers at the same time on the floor (Turk, Jose, Jack)? Maybe not at the beginning of the season, but later on I would like to see DeMar instead of either Jose or Jack from your 5s.
insight_tor is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
still forecasting a 47 win season!

RF Affiliate
 
brothersteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hamilton/Toronto
Posts: 223
Representing:
Default

I doubt there is any controversy at all with the coaches or GM. Jose is going to start and play 30 - 36 minutes per game unless he's hurt.

Jack is the PG backup who will have the opportunity to get more minutes at SG.
Triano is playing JC & JJ together for some minutes during each preseason game so far.

But if Weems, DeRozan, and Belinelli keep this level of play into the regular season, there won't be any minutes for Jack at SG.

One has to like how the young guys are playing so far!
brothersteve is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
A Celtic-Red Sox hater!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 511
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by insight_tor View Post
The question is not about who is better overall, but who should close the games. As good as Jose is, he runs an offence that is sometimes too stale. If you need a spark at the end of game, you need to take more risk hoping to steal a win. During the game, is good to have a combination of Jose style and Jack style in order to keep other team permanently searching for solutions, making the strategy hard to guess.
Since i consider Jose the better point guard than i think he should be the finisher on most nights. When Jose is on, he's capable of being one of the best shooters in the NBA. Because the ball will be in Turk's hands alot at the end of the game i prefer the better shooter on with him. Some nights though, i'm sure Jack will finish because he has a better game that night and like Jeff said, they can both be on the floor at the end also.

Last edited by tvett6; 10-12-2009 at 06:02 PM.
tvett6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM   #16 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,396
Representing:
Default

I think it's undeniable that jose is a much better player than jack in every respect, but defense. So it's going to be very simple. If Jose can defend reasonably well against 25+ PGs (minus the very quick ones, which nobody can defend well), he's going to start. If he gets beaten all the time, causing our defense to constantly scramble, he will still start, but will get fewer minutes and in key moments he will be paired with jack or wright in the backcourt.


but all in all, Jose is the best shooter at his position, and can easily get to the rim against weaker defenders, when healthy (as shown against wizards).

I don't think there will be a debate this time (although I'm not surprised that some try to make one, even against roko there were some who argued that it's not obvious). A healty TJ is a much superior player compared to Jack, unfortunately for him, ever since his injury in atlanta, TJ is not the same anymore. Which is why he lost the starting job against both Jose and Jack.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
....

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9
Representing:
Default

Jack sucks, he's made one good behind the back pass this season, all he does is shoot and he misses.

I don't think he makes plays or makes his team mates better. Dude holds on to the ball till there's 6 seconds left on the shot clock then he passes it off.

Banks please

P.S. Can't wait when Reggie Evans comes back from injury.
pegcity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,276
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegcity View Post
Jack sucks, he's made one good behind the back pass this season, all he does is shoot and he misses.

I don't think he makes plays or makes his team mates better. Dude holds on to the ball till there's 6 seconds left on the shot clock then he passes it off.

Banks please

P.S. Can't wait when Reggie Evans comes back from injury.
Actually, i find he hangs on to the ball way too much especially to end quarters, and then takes the shot himself and of course misses.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:03 PM   #19 (permalink)
KABOOOOOOOSHHHH

straight out of COMPTON
 
CB4Real's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,284
Representing:
Default

in the first 4 games i would say jack in the 4 last games played i would say jose. But at the end it completely depends what team were playing
CB4Real is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 07:04 PM   #20 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Actually, i find he hangs on to the ball way too much especially to end quarters, and then takes the shot himself and of course misses.
He learned that in Indy from his buddy TJ. lol
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BC on the FAN with Jack LX Toronto Raptors 23 02-02-2010 01:01 AM
Triano: Jack and Jose will remain on floor together Thug Toronto Raptors 32 01-14-2010 10:34 PM
The politics behind Toronto starting Jarrett Jack or Jose Calderon Acie Toronto Raptors 20 01-02-2010 05:17 PM
Devlin chats one-on-one with Jose/Matt and Jack wrap up Acie Toronto Raptors 0 11-17-2009 09:35 AM
T.Jose Caldesports: What else makes Jack a unique player? Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 7 07-22-2009 02:53 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24