Jose Calderon.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default Jose Calderon.

Hi Guys.

Happy Monday, hope the Superbowl Cobwebs are clearing for you all... Go Giants!


My thread is a simple one.

I just wanted to let you all know, that Jose Calderon, it the best player on the Toronto Raptors, and, contrary to popular belief, has been for sometime now.

That is all.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 09:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
www.torontoraptorsforum.com

giant steps
 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 15,191
Representing:
Default

perfect time to trade him, then.
'trane is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 09:28 AM   #3 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Indeed, sell high then and see what he can get us. And since he's so great it should set us up for years.

Last edited by jeffb; 02-06-2012 at 09:35 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 09:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
Representing:
Default

Any team that has Calderon as its best player is in a lot of trouble.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #5 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

And Bryan Colangelo said that he was looking for a pg of the future. Which makes sense since the present isn't all that pretty.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
the fighter of the Nightman

Ch-Ch-Ch-Ch-Cherry Bomb
 
Barracuda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 7,728
Representing:
Default

I'm Barracuda, and I approve this message.
Barracuda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,854
Representing:
Default

I want jose here, but as our backup, giving solid minutes from there.
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:27 AM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,271
Representing:
Default

Then why does he have the lowest trade value on the team? Anyone can post up high assist numbers against bad teams, when they get to dribble the ball as much as Calderon.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #9 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,854
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk24 View Post
Then why does he have the lowest trade value on the team? Anyone can post up high assist numbers against bad teams, when they get to dribble the ball as much as Calderon.
who says he has the lowest trade value on the team?
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:33 AM   #10 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,271
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by box1992 View Post
who says he has the lowest trade value on the team?
He does. It's much easier to trade anyone else on the team and maybe get something of value. The only reason he's even starting right now is because we have a SG trapped in a Pg's body as his main competition.

His numbers aren't as great as people think they are. He'll get 10 assists while the entire team shoots 37%.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,890
Representing:
Default

Unless we are about to draft a start point guard, or a trade including jose will net us an even better starting point guard, the guy is going no where.

He has a year left on his contract after this season, is playing pretty solid, and as far as we know so far has not had any hamstring injuries YET. Maybe there behind him, or maybe his hamsting is about to go any game now, all i know is he has been solid so far, and there is not much more you can ask from the guy.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #12 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk24 View Post

His numbers aren't as great as people think they are. He'll get 10 assists while the entire team shoots 37%.
Congrats, you just proved yourself so wrong its embarrassing for you. If the guy is getting 10 assists while the team shoots 37% it means:

A. that the team sucks, not him.
B. That even though the team stucks, he still manages to get 10 assits when they only shoot 37%, which means, if they were shooting 45% he would probably be getting 12-15 assists a game.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:41 AM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,271
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Unless we are about to draft a start point guard, or a trade including jose will net us an even better starting point guard, the guy is going no where.

He has a year left on his contract after this season, is playing pretty solid, and as far as we know so far has not had any hamstring injuries YET. Maybe there behind him, or maybe his hamsting is about to go any game now, all i know is he has been solid so far, and there is not much more you can ask from the guy.
Why can't we ask more from Jose? A measly less than 10 ppg on season average? Playing like trash against good teams? 3 assists & 5 turnovers last night against the Heat.

He frankly made 0 impact on the game last night. It tells you something.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,890
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fk24 View Post
Why can't we ask more from Jose? A measly less than 10 ppg on season average? Playing like trash against good teams? 3 assists & 5 turnovers last night against the Heat.

He frankly made 0 impact on the game last night. It tells you something.
Our entire team sucks man, its not his fault.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,271
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Congrats, you just proved yourself so wrong its embarrassing for you. If the guy is getting 10 assists while the team shoots 37% it means:

A. that the team sucks, not him.
B. That even though the team stucks, he still manages to get 10 assits when they only shoot 37%, which means, if they were shooting 45% he would probably be getting 12-15 assists a game.
Everyone else sucks but Jose. I can believe that. If Jose were playing alongside Deandre Jordan and Blake Griffin he would be getting 12-15 assists a game. Too bad he wouldn't be getting any playing time on those teams though.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,890
Representing:
Default

He would if they traded for him

Honestly the guy is shooting 43%/9 points/ 8.7 assists a game, on one of the worst teams in the league. If Bargs were in I bet he would have more points and assists per game (at least 2 assist and 2 points) because of how he spreads the floor.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:49 AM   #17 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,271
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Our entire team sucks man, its not his fault.
This is a dumb card to pull out. So what if the entire team sucks. Doesn't excuse you from playing like trash and not making any impact on the game against the better teams in the NBA.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #18 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,271
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
He would if they traded for him

Honestly the guy is shooting 43%/9 points/ 8.7 assists a game, on one of the worst teams in the league. If Bargs were in I bet he would have more points and assists per game (at least 2 assist and 2 points) because of how he spreads the floor.
I don't care about his stats. Look at John Wall's stats. Probably much worse than Jose. Yet I would ship him out in a flash for John Wall and not think twice about it.
fk24 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,760
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
Congrats, you just proved yourself so wrong its embarrassing for you. If the guy is getting 10 assists while the team shoots 37% it means:

A. that the team sucks, not him.
B. That even though the team stucks, he still manages to get 10 assits when they only shoot 37%, which means, if they were shooting 45% he would probably be getting 12-15 assists a game.
It could also mean that Calderon isn't creating enough easy shots for his teammates. It's one thing to use stats - it's another to actually watch the game and see how a PG is accumulating his assists. Too many of Calderon's assists are off of made jump shots. That's not surprising given Calderon's conservative approach and his inability to consistently beat his man and get into the lane.

Calderon ideally would be a backup PG, who can provide some offence on the bench and whose calm demeanor would ensure the 2nd unit executes the offence.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM   #20 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Mehh, he's averaging 8.5apg because he doesn't shoot. That being said his shooting numbers are not impressive to say the least, including a career low 32 3PT%. He's still too slow, dribbles far too much and gets blown by pretty consistently. Less so then in past seasons, but he still struggles on D. He is what he is. A slow, methodical good passing PG that holds onto the ball often too long, doesn't look for his own shot even when the rest of the team is struggling and when Bargs is out and is still a liability on the defesive end, contrary to what his fanboys say.

Last edited by jeffb; 02-06-2012 at 10:57 AM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24