Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Jerryd Bayless (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/jerryd-bayless-20215.html)

fk24 05-13-2011 10:54 AM

Jerryd Bayless
 
Is he a starting PG on a good team or a bench player on a good team. When I look up and down the roster, I can somewhat see Ed and Demar eventually being the starting SG and PF on a good team. I'm not so sure on Bayless.

jeffb 05-13-2011 11:07 AM

Bench player.

Northern Neighbour 05-13-2011 11:07 AM

Hard to say with Bayless. He has the potential to be a good to very good PG in the Chauncey Billups mode, but he forces too many plays and makes bad decisions at times. If he can slow the game down and let the game come to him at times, he could be a very good PG. If not, then he'll be a backup and have a career similar to Jarret Jack.

Acie 05-13-2011 11:09 AM

Way too early to tell. Dude, is a fighter though and that is what impresses me thus far.

jeffb 05-13-2011 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acie (Post 538411)
Way too early to tell. Dude, is a fighter though and that is what impresses me thus far.

I agree. I think he has the potential to eventually be a starter on a good team. But as it stands he's a bench player on a good team imo. Next season is a big one for him, i hope he's working his ass off this summer. If Jose is dealt, the starting job is his to lose unless we get Irving. And even then, if he can impress in training camp who knows..

Tommy C 05-13-2011 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fk24 (Post 538398)
Is he a starting PG on a good team or a bench player on a good team. When I look up and down the roster, I can somewhat see Ed and Demar eventually being the starting SG and PF on a good team. I'm not so sure on Bayless.

I think he can be a great off the bench. If he gets better a lilttle better I think he can be a starter too. Since he is a combo guard, i think i would put him as a starter but as a SG and shift DD to the SF. I think DD will be more of a SF than a SG down the line.

Chiggmo 05-13-2011 11:19 AM

Give him a real chance to prove what he is before asking this question, like a full season starting.

jeffb 05-13-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy C (Post 538418)
I think he can be a great off the bench. If he gets better a lilttle better I think he can be a starter too. Since he is a combo guard, i think i would put him as a starter but as a SG and shift DD to the SF. I think DD will be more of a SF than a SG down the line.

I don't really consider Baylees a combo guard, and to be honest neither does he.

MARTYNAS 05-13-2011 11:20 AM

He is young and he showed some signs to be good. If you can teach dog tricks, you can teach Jared be smart with the ball in his hands.


Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 05-13-2011 12:04 PM

I think he has the potential to be a starting guard on a good team and I hope he's starting for us next year(depending on the draft).

fancylad 05-13-2011 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiggmo (Post 538419)
Give him a real chance to prove what he is before asking this question, like a full season starting.

He certainly isn't in the position to be put in that role now. He hasn't done anything to deserve it.

I'm on the fence about him. I like his spunk, but he's got to cut down on the mistakes.

fk24 05-13-2011 01:02 PM

If it comes to a situation where we're deciding between Bayless, Kemba Walker and Brandon Knight, we are stuck. Either of the two could end up being better than Bayless and I honestly want to come out of that situation taking the best player out of all 3 even with the risk element.

MikeToronto 05-13-2011 01:58 PM

Potential, potential, potential... I am starting to really hate this word... :(

Anyway, the guy has great attitude and spirit and size. That's about it as far as pros are concerned. He is not a good shooter, he is a bad decision-maker, he does not have a knack for passing (JJ, for instance, is naturally a better passer than Bayless) and he is not that great of an on-the-ball defender either. So, IMO, he is better suited to be a change-of-pace scoring PG off the bench than to being a starter on a good NBA team.

Tommy C 05-13-2011 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 538420)
I don't really consider Baylees a combo guard, and to be honest neither does he.

He doesn't have a pure position. This is just one source from a few.

From the article: "Despite Portlandís best efforts to transition his game into that of a ďpure point guard,Ē Jerryd Bayless is a score-first guard who lacks a true NBA position. Bayless was drafted to be Portlandís point guard of the future, as Kevin Pritchard envisioned Bayless adding athleticism and an offensive counterbalance to all star Brandon Roy, who has the ball in his hands a lot. It didnít work out, and he transitioned into a change-of-pace role off the bench primarily and also got a few starts at the two guard position when Roy was down with various injuries."

Link:
Jerryd Bayless: A Q/A with Ben Golliver of Blazersedge | Blog Archive | RaptorBlog | Blogs | TheScore.com

jeffb 05-13-2011 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tommy C (Post 538496)
He doesn't have a pure position. This is just one source from a few.

From the article: "Despite Portlandís best efforts to transition his game into that of a ďpure point guard,Ē Jerryd Bayless is a score-first guard who lacks a true NBA position. Bayless was drafted to be Portlandís point guard of the future, as Kevin Pritchard envisioned Bayless adding athleticism and an offensive counterbalance to all star Brandon Roy, who has the ball in his hands a lot. It didnít work out, and he transitioned into a change-of-pace role off the bench primarily and also got a few starts at the two guard position when Roy was down with various injuries."

Link:
Jerryd Bayless: A Q/A with Ben Golliver of Blazersedge | Blog Archive | RaptorBlog | Blogs | TheScore.com


He was asked this season in an interview if he considers himself a combo guard, and he looked insulted, then said emphatically that he was a PG. Plus he's a little small to play the 2.

Tommy C 05-13-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 538505)
He was asked this season in an interview if he considers himself a combo guard, and he looked insulted, then said emphatically that he was a PG. Plus he's a little small to play the 2.

In High School he was a SG according to the scouts, in Arizona he played both.
He is 6-3 which is not huge but not a small player either.

Scout.com: Jerryd Bayless Profile

IGetAir 05-13-2011 03:37 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but does he have the game that kind of reminds you of Russel Westbrook? Played 2 at UCLA, but starts for OKC now as a PG. He's a shoot first guard, forces plays sometimes and such but overall a very good PG.

Obviously Westbrook is better than Bayless, but I would love to see Bayless grow into a lesser Westbrook and if given the right time and coaching he could be just that.

Northern Neighbour 05-13-2011 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGetAir (Post 538524)
I don't know about anyone else, but does he have the game that kind of reminds you of Russel Westbrook? Played 2 at UCLA, but starts for OKC now as a PG. He's a shoot first guard, forces plays sometimes and such but overall a very good PG.

Obviously Westbrook is better than Bayless, but I would love to see Bayless grow into a lesser Westbrook and if given the right time and coaching he could be just that.

As I mentioned in my post, his career so far resembles that of Chauncey Billups, who was also a shoot-first PG that had trouble getting on the court due to his erratic decision-making and scoring mentality. Over time, Billups slowed his game down, became more of a PG, and his defence improved significantly. Both are big body, tough PGs, so I could see Bayless' career following a similar path as Billups.

Tommy C 05-13-2011 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGetAir (Post 538524)
I don't know about anyone else, but does he have the game that kind of reminds you of Russel Westbrook? Played 2 at UCLA, but starts for OKC now as a PG. He's a shoot first guard, forces plays sometimes and such but overall a very good PG.

Obviously Westbrook is better than Bayless, but I would love to see Bayless grow into a lesser Westbrook and if given the right time and coaching he could be just that.

+1

I think he has a chance to become a good Guard. As a young player you need stability, and as a PG even more.

LX 05-13-2011 04:30 PM

To me he seems a natural fit coming off the bench. Could he be a starter? Maybe - and if he can fill in due to injuries, then that makes him all that much more valuable as a backup. I definitely wouldn't want to see him rushed into a starter's role.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24