Jeremy Lin was nearly a Raptor - Page 3
Old 02-14-2012, 01:37 AM   #41 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,562
Representing:
Default

Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise.

- Floyd Mayweather
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 AM   #42 (permalink)
The Man Who Does Everything

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,606
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Jeremy Lin is a good player but all the hype is because he's Asian. Black players do what he does every night and don't get the same praise.

- Floyd Mayweather
^This, is what Ive been thinking this entire time. There are black players who have stories just like Lin but dont get the attention. Its because he's the 1st north american born chinese and 4th player for harvard to pla in the NBA. A professional player who never had a basketball scholarship and also led Harvard to their best season ever.

I doubt Raptors were the only teams that the knicks were talking about. Bet you that they talked to other teams who had 3rd string veteran PGs as well. So technically all of them had a shot at Lin. But he did well in the Dleague by having about 2-3 straight games with triple doubles. And Knicks took the chance at him while their 2 stars were injured. I must keep in mind that those 5 games were mediocre teams being Lakers being the best of them.
JDMtors is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 09:53 AM   #43 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,046
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
If some people are calling him a "superstar" already then that's on them... I don't ever recall saying that. I don't think that there's any question that he's a solid PG though and probably SHOULD have been signed by SOMEONE before now.

The NY media is certainly playing a role but I think this would be story in A LOT of NBA cities.... hell, WE were the talk of the league when Vince was came onto the scene and started posterizing people.
The "superstar" comment is with respect to the article posted in the OP, where the media hype machine is once again operating in full throttle.

Because Lin is performing well now doesn't mean he should have had an NBA job immediately after he graduated from Harvard. For all we know, he could have been really bad. Since the 2010-11 season and the lockout, Lin has had 18 months to work on his game and improve. It's not out of the ordinary for a non-drafted player to emerge and become a star in any league.

I also think that more time is needed before we anoint Lin as anything - whether it's a superstar, a starter, a backup, or training camp fodder. Five games isn't big enough of a sample size to say whether he'll be great or whether this is just a one-shot thing. As I mentioned, as teams adjust to him, that's going to tell us more about his abilities.

Tonight's game actually will be a good measuring stick, as Casey will utilize a lot of zones to take away dribble-drive penetration and negate pick-and-roll situations. In addition, I wouldn't be surprised to see Johnson on Lin once in awhile to give Lin a different look.
Northern Neighbour is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #44 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,593
Representing:
Default

Quote:
We are witnessing, and being inundated by, a truly perfect storm with this whole Jeremy Lin thing that’s hitting town today.

It a very nice story (undrafted kid perseveres, takes NBA by storm for a week so far) dropped into the middle of the (oft-over-the-top) media centre of the universe at a slow time in the North American pro sports calendar and – presto! – it’s Linsanity.

I think it’s a wonderful story, no question about it. I hope the kid goes on to have nothing but success in his NBA career and that he plays for a decade or more and is held up as a shining example of someone sticking it out until the find the perfect situation for themselves.

Which is precisely what Lin has done. He joined a point guard-starved team that plays a system perfectly designed for his talents at a time when the two biggest names on the roster were out with either family tragedies or injuries. You cannot script it any better and Lin has benefited – as has a good-story-starved New York media – like no one before him.

But is Lin’s ascension, as has been suggested, really an indictment of the NBA talent evaluation system overall? Does the fact he’s had four excellent games and one good one in his first five mean there are dozens of other talented young forgotten players out there who’d do the same thing given the same chance?

Probably not.

Look, drafting and finding free agent players as we’ve said for time immemorial is an inexact science. You do your diligence, decide what your team needs and make a choice based on all kinds of factors.

Lin was caught in numbers games pretty much everywhere he went. The Warriors had Monta Ellis and Stephen Curry; the Mavs (as Dwane Casey points out in today’s tome) had committed – rightly or wrongly – to Roddy Beaubois when they had Lin at summer league. Houston? Kyle Lowry and a full roster.

Almost everything in pro sports – heck, almost everything in life – is about timing. Some guys get a chance at precisely the right moment, some never do. Too bad for those who don’t but life ain’t fair all the time.

I think we need to commend and celebrate Lin for what he is: A young player who stayed with his dream and took advantage of his shot when it finally came around.

There is no bigger story here, I don’t think. The evaluation system has its flaws, we all knew that; and hindsight’s a wonderful thing. But to think this exposes some horrid flaw in the system ignores one point: Stories like Lin’s come around once in forever; if the system was really screwed don’t you think there would have been others before.

Like Lin for what he is: A good player on a sub-.500 team playing a style perfectly suited for him after bouncing around a few places that weren’t.
Doug Smith's Sports Blog
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:13 PM   #45 (permalink)
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,459
Representing:
Default

I am really psyched for Lin playing well, and I hope he continues it. It's a fantastic story! What I like is that he's a smart kid who graduated from Harvard.

However, Doug Smith rightly labels it a "perfect storm". It's extremely impressive that Lin is the first player since LeBron to average 20/7 (pts/assists) in his first four NBA starts. It's perhaps even better that the Knicks have won all 5 games that Lin has started in.

However, this is a media frenzy mostly created by the NY media, still high from a Superbowl win. Is Lin's performance that much more impressive than Brandon Jenning's first 4 starts 2 years ago? Lin is 23 years old; when LeBron was putting up those numbers he was a 19 year old. Brandon Jennings, btw was only 20 when he had that phenomenal start. Lin plays on a very stats-friendly D'Antoni coached team. Remember Chris Duhon's breakout performance a couple years ago?

I think Lin is a smart kid who will hopefully carve out a niche for himself in the NBA. I think the NBA is more interesting if Lin is good. But if he was in a small market, the Linsanity we hear is a fraction of what it is today.
----

So I'd say it sucks that we didn't sign Lin as a free agent (like the other 27 teams are thinking, and the 2 that cut him), but we didn't miss out on the next Dwayne Wade. Certainly not yet anyways; it takes more than 5 games to base a career off of.

Last edited by BballWatcher; 02-14-2012 at 01:15 PM.
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:18 PM   #46 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Hope Lin does well so some good prospects start going to Ivy League schools
Then again... there's the issue of those schools not offering sports scholarships
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 02:36 PM   #47 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,349
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BballWatcher View Post
I am really psyched for Lin playing well, and I hope he continues it. It's a fantastic story! What I like is that he's a smart kid who graduated from Harvard.

However, Doug Smith rightly labels it a "perfect storm". It's extremely impressive that Lin is the first player since LeBron to average 20/7 (pts/assists) in his first four NBA starts. It's perhaps even better that the Knicks have won all 5 games that Lin has started in.

However, this is a media frenzy mostly created by the NY media, still high from a Superbowl win. Is Lin's performance that much more impressive than Brandon Jenning's first 4 starts 2 years ago? Lin is 23 years old; when LeBron was putting up those numbers he was a 19 year old. Brandon Jennings, btw was only 20 when he had that phenomenal start. Lin plays on a very stats-friendly D'Antoni coached team. Remember Chris Duhon's breakout performance a couple years ago?

I think Lin is a smart kid who will hopefully carve out a niche for himself in the NBA. I think the NBA is more interesting if Lin is good. But if he was in a small market, the Linsanity we hear is a fraction of what it is today.
----

So I'd say it sucks that we didn't sign Lin as a free agent (like the other 27 teams are thinking, and the 2 that cut him), but we didn't miss out on the next Dwayne Wade. Certainly not yet anyways; it takes more than 5 games to base a career off of.
Yes.... it is. Lin put up better numbers (points and assists), shot the ball better and his team won every game.

Your point is certainly valid though. Jennings had a fantastic start to his rookie season. He played well for that whole first month.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #48 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

Mayweather's post is shit.

This has ZERO to do with Race, and EVERYTHING to do with it being the Knicks, and the fact that it really is a pretty amazing start, best ever actually, so fuck, people need to shut the fuck up already.

If this was a blond haired kid from Missouri, or a Black kid from Compton, it would totally be the same. TOTALLY, the knicks fans will annoint ANYONE that does this as the king.

People are ruining this for me, honestly. Fucking using it as a platform for their causes, arguments of beefs.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #49 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,349
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Mayweather's post is shit.

This has ZERO to do with Race, and EVERYTHING to do with it being the Knicks, and the fact that it really is a pretty amazing start, best ever actually, so fuck, people need to shut the fuck up already.

If this was a blond haired kid from Missouri, or a Black kid from Compton, it would totally be the same. TOTALLY, the knicks fans will annoint ANYONE that does this as the king.

People are ruining this for me, honestly. Fucking using it as a platform for their causes, arguments of beefs.
Well... I don't know if I'd say ZERO SJ.... if Lin isn't asian I don't know if today's game is a sellout at the ACC.

It shouldn't be that way (and Lin has still been fabulous regardless) but it is.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 05:06 PM   #50 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

ya but thats just the asian community getting excited, no different than if JV was coming, or when Kukoc came over to the Bulls.

As far as the story being huge elsewhere, I dont really think non-asian fans give a rats ass what race he is, but him carving up Kobe and the Lakers, as a member of the biggest team in the NBA, in the biggest city with the biggest and craziest media.... well have look and you may find you answers there.

It aint about race. It's bullshit to say it is.

As for Jennings, the world did look and start buzzing when he dropped 50. But he didn't do it 5 games in a row. It was a different situation.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #51 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,354
Representing:
Default

Just listened to an interview and he talks like Tim Teebow. Glad he's not here, even if he turns out talented.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:27 PM   #52 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Default

Good lord. They're essentially having a Jeremy Lin 10 minute documentary on NBATV Canada. It's been 5 games people.....wow!
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:39 PM   #53 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,562
Representing:
Default

Doesn't matter that he almost ended up here. I think the reason he's thriving the way he is right now is because of Mike D'Antonis system in NY. Perfect fit.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #54 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,349
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
Just listened to an interview and he talks like Tim Teebow. Glad he's not here, even if he turns out talented.
I don't understand this comment....

The kid is humble... always deflects credit from himself and towards to teammates... and plays hard (and smart) when he's out there.

If we're glad that players like that aren't here then it truly is a sad state of affairs here in Raptorland.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #55 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,562
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I don't understand this comment....

The kid is humble... always deflects credit from himself and towards to teammates... and plays hard (and smart) when he's out there.

If we're glad that players like that aren't here then it truly is a sad state of affairs here in Raptorland.
Lol. Raptor fans don't like talent. They are fine with the current roster. I've figured this out a long time ago.
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:59 PM   #56 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thug View Post
Lol. Raptor fans don't like talent. They are fine with the current roster. I've figured this out a long time ago.
I've noticed that as well. I've even heard we shouldn't upgrade the SF position because we have James Johnson. And wanting Sonny Weems back here is another example.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #57 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,845
Representing:
Default

For some context on the Jennings comparison:

-the 50+ point game came in his 7th game. He had averaged 20+ppg in the previous 6 games.

-in the next 5 games after his 50+ game, he averaged close to 25 pgg.

-Jennings really started to cool off around game 12.

-that's why some of us are saying this kid could be a respectable NBA rotation player, but there is a reason to wait 10 games or so before assuming he's an all-star level talent.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:02 PM   #58 (permalink)
payin Dwyane Wade

Senior Member
 
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 4,354
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
I don't understand this comment....

The kid is humble... always deflects credit from himself and towards to teammates... and plays hard (and smart) when he's out there.

If we're glad that players like that aren't here then it truly is a sad state of affairs here in Raptorland.
The god-boy thing makes me cringe and rubs me the wrong way. Has nothing to do with his perceived talent.

Last edited by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu; 02-14-2012 at 07:05 PM.
JoeyJoJo Shabbadu is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:03 PM   #59 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 72,914
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
but there is a reason to wait 10 games or so before assuming he's an all-star level talent.
It takes me longer than 10 games to think of someone as an all-star type talent. It's going to be interesting to see what he does the rest of the season, and what happens this summer when he's a RFA.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 07:06 PM   #60 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,349
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyJoJo Shabbadu View Post
The god-boy thing makes me cringe.
That's funny... because the whole guys going to jail, getting caught with drugs and hoes and getting busted for domestic assault and weapons charges makes me cringe more.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24