Jeff Van Gundy's comments (regarding TOR). - Page 3

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Who do you want as head coach??
Triano 5 9.26%
JVG 38 70.37%
someone else 11 20.37%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2009, 03:10 PM   #41 (permalink)
Rye
5 game win streaking

Senior Member
 
Rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 701
Representing:
Default

Triano is doing a good job I like him in the head coach spot. He has to put up with so much BS from the raptors
Rye is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Nahhh Neliie has that title hands down.
Don Nelson-Dirk Nowitzki

Larry Brown-Darko Milicic

Even now, Nelson gives his young guys a lot of burn..Morrow, Randolph, Curry..he brought along Ellis well too..he just didn't like Beli..
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:43 PM   #43 (permalink)
is rooting for the Raptors!

Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 238
Representing:
Default

I don't know about you guys, but if Colangelo fires Triano - MLSE will more than likely have him fill in for coach duties. I can't see 'em having two fired coaches on their payroll...
CobraKing is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:46 PM   #44 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonezz View Post
DON NELSON
Nope, he just didn't like Beli..can you say Disco Dirk?..Monta Ellis?..He just didn't play Beli because he had other young talent he preferred: Ellis, Morrow and the incoming Curry..

Dirk was fairly fragile in his first year..Nelson did a stellar job grooming him..
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #45 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,963
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneironaught View Post
Nope, he just didn't like Beli..can you say Disco Dirk?..Monta Ellis?..He just didn't play Beli because he had other young talent he preferred: Ellis, Morrow and the incoming Curry..

Dirk was fairly fragile in his first year..Nelson did a stellar job grooming him..
Don Nelson has by far the worst reputation in the history of the NBA in developping young players. I was watching NBATV a couple weeks ago and the analysts were talking about Randolph and saying how great he is and that' it's baffling how up and down his minutes are and they all too a man laughed and said that Nelson, "we all know the reputation he has with his yo-yoing approach to young players minutes". Ellis has complained in the past because of his inconsistent minutes. It's a league wide fact and when talking about GS and their young players NBA people always talk about it. If you think it was only Beli, you are greatly mistaken.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:35 PM   #46 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,231
Representing:
Default

i would love jvg but isnt he retired
Blaze is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:44 PM   #47 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Don Nelson has by far the worst reputation in the history of the NBA in developping young players. I was watching NBATV a couple weeks ago and the analysts were talking about Randolph and saying how great he is and that' it's baffling how up and down his minutes are and they all too a man laughed and said that Nelson, "we all know the reputation he has with his yo-yoing approach to young players minutes". Ellis has complained in the past because of his inconsistent minutes. It's a league wide fact and when talking about GS and their young players NBA people always talk about it. If you think it was only Beli, you are greatly mistaken.
You can't use Ellis an as example though, due to the fact he's emerged as a great talent..If Nellie had handled him differently, he may not have..Randolph is just 20! He's a potential stud, but he's just 20! You must moderate his minutes.. He average 20+ minutes anyway..it's not like he's epoxied to the bench.. And it is not a fact, it is an opinion...

The Golden State Warriors play in California: fact..

Don Nelson cannot develop young talent: opinion..

And believing everything you see on TV without questioning its validity or surmising your own opinion is not a good practice, man..
finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 04:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,963
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneironaught View Post
You can't use Ellis an as example though, due to the fact he's emerged as a great talent..If Nellie had handled him differently, he may not have..Randolph is just 20! He's a potential stud, but he's just 20! You must moderate his minutes.. He average 20+ minutes anyway..it's not like he's epoxied to the bench.. And it is not a fact, it is an opinion...

The Golden State Warriors play in California: fact..

Don Nelson cannot develop young talent: opinion..

And believing everything you see on TV without questioning its validity or surmising your own opinion is not a good practice, man..
It's known league wide that Nelson is awful with young talent. Believe what you want, but his treatment of Ellis, Beli, Randollph and a few others are proof enough for me and for most.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 05:54 PM   #49 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 54
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Team flow? You see some of that?
Getting out of the first round with a new coach at this point in the season. You see that?

thisorthat is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 262
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
It's known league wide that Nelson is awful with young talent. Believe what you want, but his treatment of Ellis, Beli, Randollph and a few others are proof enough for me and for most.
Nelson gave Belli more MPG last season than he's getting this season under Triano. And he has another season under his belt now. Shouldn't he be getting more minutes under Triano if what you are saying is true?
RaptorizedChristian is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #51 (permalink)
wondering why he gets so much hate???? Freedom of speech right???

Senior Member
 
nathanapes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 349
Representing:
Default

WTF still wants Triano??????????????
nathanapes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:10 PM   #52 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,963
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorizedChristian View Post
Nelson gave Belli more MPG last season than he's getting this season under Triano. And he has another season under his belt now. Shouldn't he be getting more minutes under Triano if what you are saying is true?
Yep. But at the same time his MPG are at 19MPG only because of the first two weeks or so of the season when he was averaging around 12mpg. Since then he's been getting 25+ minutes many nights. I predict he'll be around 22-23mpg by the end of the season. Then again, Triano is a douchebag as well so who knows. lol

Plus Nellie gave Beli around 20 DNP's last season. Which won't happen this season.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #53 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
n30tokyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: t.o.
Posts: 867
Representing:
Default

JVG? if it's possible.. then my confidence in this damn team might boost... but i don't think it's gonna happen. we can only dream of it.
n30tokyo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:07 PM   #54 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 262
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Yep. But at the same time his MPG are at 19MPG only because of the first two weeks or so of the season when he was averaging around 12mpg. Since then he's been getting 25+ minutes many nights. I predict he'll be around 22-23mpg by the end of the season. Then again, Triano is a douchebag as well so who knows. lol

Plus Nellie gave Beli around 20 DNP's last season. Which won't happen this season.
He got 25+ minutes many nights under Nellie as well.

Under Nellie last season Marco averaged more minutes, scored more points, rebounds, assists, and steals per game, and shot a higher percentage. With one less year of experience.

If Nellie mistreated/underused Marco, than Triano is SEVERELY mistreating/underusing him.

I don't happen to agree with that myself. To me, Marco is an 8th/9th player on a team - about 15 MPG. But if that's the argument you're going to make, you can't see Triano is treating him any better.
RaptorizedChristian is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 PM   #55 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,963
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorizedChristian View Post
He got 25+ minutes many nights under Nellie as well.

Under Nellie last season Marco averaged more minutes, scored more points, rebounds, assists, and steals per game, and shot a higher percentage. With one less year of experience.

If Nellie mistreated/underused Marco, than Triano is SEVERELY mistreating/underusing him.

I don't happen to agree with that myself. To me, Marco is an 8th/9th player on a team - about 15 MPG. But if that's the argument you're going to make, you can't see Triano is treating him any better.

The only time he got 25+ minutes was when Nellie was forced to start him due to injuries to other players (and he excelled, averaging 15/5).The rest of the season when he played it was for around 18mpg + a ton of DNP's.

As for him shooting for a better % last season, the FG% is about equal and his 3pt% is up from 39% last season to 41% this season. Which BTW places him as our best shooter from 3 other then Bosh.

As for what type of player he is, i'd put him as a 7-8th player on a team with the potential to be a 6th man. He's our best passer imo and is by far our best shooter off the bench and in the top 2-3 on the team. And he's only 23.

Nellie is known for not knowing how to developpe young players, and if you don't believe that then i don't know what else to say, because i thought everyone that knew anything about the NBA knew that.

Last edited by jeffb; 12-12-2009 at 07:35 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #56 (permalink)
baking the cookies of discontent.

Corner 3
 
finstock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 3,140
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
The only time he got 25+ minutes was when Nellie was forced to start him due to injuries to other players (and he excelled, averaging 15/5).The rest of the season when he played it was for around 18mpg + a ton of DNP's.

As for him shooting for a better % last season, the FG% is about equal and his 3pt% is up from 39% last season to 41% this season. Which BTW places him as our best shooter from 3 other then Bosh.

As for what type of player he is, i'd put him as a 7-8th player on a team with the potential to be a 6th man. He's our best passer imo and is by far our best shooter off the bench and in the top 2-3 on the team. And he's only 23.

Nellie is known for not knowing how to developpe young players, and if you don't believe that then i don't know what else to say, because i thought everyone that knew anything about the NBA knew that.
People tend to have short memories..These guys aren't bad..they only have 3MVP's between them...

finstock is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:25 PM   #57 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,377
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
Of course i'd want bosh, i'd want Howard even more ...
But there are players who play hard because of their nature, and players who are very good or even elite, but are not hustlers. Bowen has a hustler, Garnett was one too. Bosh or howard or shaq are not ...
If you say so.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... if Bosh can avg 24 + 12, and come close the leading the league in REBS, OREBS, and FTAs/gm.... WITHOUT playing hard... then he's the greatest player in NBA history.

As for your Bargs comment.... you did see Nash toy with him all game long last time we played the Suns right?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #58 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,390
Representing:
Default

yeah, because most 7 footer would have no problem stopping steve nash, it's common practice around the league to have the slowest player on the floor guard the fastest

As far as Bosh, whatever you say, it's obvious that in your eyes he's basically flawless, so any argument on the subject will eventually end up with his offensive stats ... But just for kicks, are you going to argue that vince Carter played hard througout his career (24ppg CAREER average, not just one season, and 5 reboinds and 4 assists)? Was gilbert arenas knows for his hustling when he was averaging 30/6?

All players are hustling on offense, it's the D where it's harder to mobilize night in and night out ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 10:22 PM   #59 (permalink)
finding your post helpful

Senior Member
 
LightsOut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,429
Representing:
Default

Laurence Frank anyone?
LightsOut is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 12:57 AM   #60 (permalink)
enjoying having the keys to destiny

perusing ancient database
 
ClingRap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: The far side of the Universe.
Posts: 1,895
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
It's known league wide that Nelson is awful with young talent. Believe what you want, but his treatment of Ellis, Beli, Randollph and a few others are proof enough for me and for most.
I'd actually argue that Nellie's style of play, not necessarily his cantankerous moods are the result of the development of young guys in golden state.
biedrins, morrow, randolph, and ellis are all promosing young guys who can play the game. they do what young guys do sometimes and take nights off. nellie's fault with them specifically is the handling of that mistake.
but his approach to the game itself is a beautiful thing for young players.

you forgot about mitch richmond, one of the greatest pure scorers the league has ever seen, chris mullin and tim hardaway, all young guys who came into their own under nellie's tutelege.
what about steve nash in dallas?
what about dirk nowitzki?
what about michal finley?

it would seem that the NBA is delusional. or has amnesia...
ClingRap is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Jeff Adrien? Someguy again Toronto Raptors 30 08-14-2009 04:15 PM
Jeff Van Gundy's on the FAN590 right now N64 NBA Talk 12 01-30-2009 06:11 AM
Bosh Comments on Jalen Rose's Comments logicz Toronto Raptors 42 01-29-2009 06:29 PM
RIP Jeff Healy Benzo Entertainment Lounge 9 03-03-2008 04:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24