Jarret Jack - The only Raptor who seems to be showing some Heart & Passion

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)
is getting to the line..

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,301
Representing:
Thumbs up Jarret Jack - The only Raptor who seems to be showing some Heart & Passion

I've noticed this the last few games...

When Bosh went down this guy seemed to be the only Raptor to show some determination.

He put this team on his back, Drove and attacked the rim and put his body on the line to draw fouls when majority of the team seemed to have given up or looked disinterested and lazy...

Again this is the first time im saying this all season: This guy needs to stay and be our starting PG next season

And this is the 2nd time ive ever said this... Jose Calderon needs to go..

Anyone else notice?

Honerable Heart & Passion mention:

1. Sonny Weems (minus some defensive fuckups)
2. Amir Johnson (hustle all around, gotta stay out of foul trouble though)
3. Antoine Wright (only one to speak his mind, but some shot selection questionable)

Complete Fail mention:

1. Andrea Bargnani (Wake the fuck up, Bosh is down this is supposed to be your team at this point)
2. Jose Calderon (How hard is it to work on your defence? You dont even TRY to fight through screens, and stop with the fucking clap it doesnt do shit)
3. HeDONT Turkaglu (What's left to say? really... )
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,454
Representing:
Default

If "showing passion" means not passing the ball, then I totally agree.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
is getting to the line..

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,301
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XiaominWu View Post
If "showing passion" means not passing the ball, then I totally agree.
If Bargs is camped out at the top of the 3point line and Hedo is standing around catching his breath from running up the court wtf is he supposed to do?

No movement He has to wait and stand there while Amir runs up and sets a pick for him.

At that point instead of Bargs switching into the post he either stands still or moves to one of the corners wayyyyyyyyy far out from the key.

Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,454
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2k View Post
If Bargs is camped out at the top of the 3point line and Hedo is standing around catching his breath from running up the court wtf is he supposed to do?

No movement He has to wait and stand there while Amir runs up and sets a pick for him.

At that point instead of Bargs switching into the post he either stands still or moves to one of the corners wayyyyyyyyy far out from the key.

totally reminded me of Mike James last night in Q4.... very demoralizing to play with a guy like that.... in any sport.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,499
Representing:
Default

I don't really blame Jack..... the Mike James comparisons are apt right now.... and that's because both players felt like they were the only ones on the court with any balls and the ability to make something happen.

Hedo.. Bargs.. Jose.... none of these guys look like they even WANT the ball at all.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 12:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2k View Post
I've noticed this the last few games...

When Bosh went down this guy seemed to be the only Raptor to show some determination.

He put this team on his back, Drove and attacked the rim and put his body on the line to draw fouls when majority of the team seemed to have given up or looked disinterested and lazy...

Again this is the first time im saying this all season: This guy needs to stay and be our starting PG next season

And this is the 2nd time ive ever said this... Jose Calderon needs to go..

Anyone else notice?

Honerable Heart & Passion mention:

1. Sonny Weems (minus some defensive fuckups)
2. Amir Johnson (hustle all around, gotta stay out of foul trouble though)
3. Antoine Wright (only one to speak his mind, but some shot selection questionable)

Complete Fail mention:

1. Andrea Bargnani (Wake the fuck up, Bosh is down this is supposed to be your team at this point)
2. Jose Calderon (How hard is it to work on your defence? You dont even TRY to fight through screens, and stop with the fucking clap it doesnt do shit)
3. HeDONT Turkaglu (What's left to say? really... )
Surprise surprise, fans yapping about role players trying hard and the stars of the team not trying hard.

Don't get caught up in that BS brother man. There are more than a few things that promote this;

1. Star player rarely look as if they are trying, they are special athletes for the most part and role players lack the same talent, thus, they play differently.

2. The starters ALWAYS take the heat for losses, yet role players, because they step up once in a while, always get the credit for wins, we all like to cheer on the underdog, it's human nature.

The truth is, your best players start for a reason, they are better. Calderon and Jack aren't really better or worse, one is smarter, the other tries harder, both seem to have regressed into decent back up guards. comparing them is silly, they are different, but neither has shown himself to be a better weapon for winning.

As for Hedo and Bargnani. Hedo is exactly what he has been for his whole career. Too many people expected him to come here and be a star. He has ALWAYS been a very good role player, and great role players play massive roles on good teams (see: The Orlando Magic). On bad teams, role players are downgraded and forced to be the players they are not. To hate on a guy for not morphing into a star to carry your team is wrong. Bargnani. Well what can you say. He is a great young player who has confidence and health issues. Compound that with the fact that Big men rarely take over for teams, the are usually great because of great guard play, and what does Toronto lack?

Toronto is a bad team. Period. If the men you pay so high regard to were your regular starters, they would statistically, over the course of 82 games, be even worse. Thats it.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
a candy

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 73
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Surprise surprise, fans yapping about role players trying hard and the stars of the team not trying hard.

Don't get caught up in that BS brother man. There are more than a few things that promote this;

1. Star player rarely look as if they are trying, they are special athletes for the most part and role players lack the same talent, thus, they play differently.

2. The starters ALWAYS take the heat for losses, yet role players, because they step up once in a while, always get the credit for wins, we all like to cheer on the underdog, it's human nature.

The truth is, your best players start for a reason, they are better. Calderon and Jack aren't really better or worse, one is smarter, the other tries harder, both seem to have regressed into decent back up guards. comparing them is silly, they are different, but neither has shown himself to be a better weapon for winning.

As for Hedo and Bargnani. Hedo is exactly what he has been for his whole career. Too many people expected him to come here and be a star. He has ALWAYS been a very good role player, and great role players play massive roles on good teams (see: The Orlando Magic). On bad teams, role players are downgraded and forced to be the players they are not. To hate on a guy for not morphing into a star to carry your team is wrong. Bargnani. Well what can you say. He is a great young player who has confidence and health issues. Compound that with the fact that Big men rarely take over for teams, the are usually great because of great guard play, and what does Toronto lack?

Toronto is a bad team. Period. If the men you pay so high regard to were your regular starters, they would statistically, over the course of 82 games, be even worse. Thats it.
well damn...although i'm not a fan of bargs, i have to agree with everything you just said
Chocolate is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:47 PM   #8 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
Aamir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 5,192
Representing:
Default

Jack's the man. SO fuckin' competitive.
Aamir is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:54 PM   #9 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Agreed! Although, I don't enjoy watching him handle the ball for an extended period of time...
BUT
if anyone deserves to go to the playoffs, it's certainly JJ
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
a rep. from the Hair Club for Men

Member
 
EazyBalla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 313
Representing:
Default

If there was a way we could get rid of Turk and Calderon all together without having to let go of Weems, Amir, and Wright it would probably be a pipe dream.

Jack
Weems
Wright
Bosh
Amir

Those 5 are part of my heart and soul starting line-up for the Raps.
EazyBalla is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 03:45 PM   #11 (permalink)
streets ahead.

Senior Member
 
SomeDPlease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,780
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Surprise surprise, fans yapping about role players trying hard and the stars of the team not trying hard.

Don't get caught up in that BS brother man. There are more than a few things that promote this;

1. Star player rarely look as if they are trying, they are special athletes for the most part and role players lack the same talent, thus, they play differently.

2. The starters ALWAYS take the heat for losses, yet role players, because they step up once in a while, always get the credit for wins, we all like to cheer on the underdog, it's human nature.

The truth is, your best players start for a reason, they are better. Calderon and Jack aren't really better or worse, one is smarter, the other tries harder, both seem to have regressed into decent back up guards. comparing them is silly, they are different, but neither has shown himself to be a better weapon for winning.

As for Hedo and Bargnani. Hedo is exactly what he has been for his whole career. Too many people expected him to come here and be a star. He has ALWAYS been a very good role player, and great role players play massive roles on good teams (see: The Orlando Magic). On bad teams, role players are downgraded and forced to be the players they are not. To hate on a guy for not morphing into a star to carry your team is wrong. Bargnani. Well what can you say. He is a great young player who has confidence and health issues. Compound that with the fact that Big men rarely take over for teams, the are usually great because of great guard play, and what does Toronto lack?

Toronto is a bad team. Period. If the men you pay so high regard to were your regular starters, they would statistically, over the course of 82 games, be even worse. Thats it.
Wow. I think I love you.
SomeDPlease is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 04:10 PM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 691
Representing:
Default

The people who don't show heart and passion are mainly the euros.. andrea, jose and turk. Everyone else on the team shows passion except them.. thats why they all need to be traded next season.
JackAstors is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,627
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackAstors View Post
The people who don't show heart and passion are mainly the euros.. andrea, jose and turk. Everyone else on the team shows passion except them.. thats why they all need to be traded next season.
I don't see POB showing much passion, do you?
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 691
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
I don't see POB showing much passion, do you?
No, but who can blame him? Most of the season hes been on the inactive list and not in uniform.. what does O'bryant have to do with this anyways? He isn't a crucial part of this team, whereas the people I mentioned supposedly are.
JackAstors is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
far away

Senior Member
 
archie63's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Panama City
Posts: 981
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EazyBalla View Post
If there was a way we could get rid of Turk and Calderon all together without having to let go of Weems, Amir, and Wright it would probably be a pipe dream.

Jack
Weems
Wright
Bosh
Amir

Those 5 are part of my heart and soul starting line-up for the Raps.
All this 5 show heart and passion but you don't reach .500 with this team imo.
archie63 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 06:55 PM   #16 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Fuck Jarett Jack hes a fucking back up in this league. Hes a fucking traffic cop on d......wake up folkes hes fuckin brutal on d for guy that was supposed to help us and be Calderons back up.Calderon is getting his dimes, playing solid d and is the fucking leader on this team. Mo matter what is happening on the court Calderon is there for his mates. He is the heart and the soul of the toronto raptors. Jack is a Calderon want to be...he tries to imitate what Caldys does during the game. Hes caldys back up and i give some credit to jack as he tries to be a leader like Jose.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
still here

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Cappadocia
Posts: 44
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor123 View Post
Fuck Jarett Jack hes a fucking back up in this league. Hes a fucking traffic cop on d......wake up folkes hes fuckin brutal on d for guy that was supposed to help us and be Calderons back up.Calderon is getting his dimes, playing solid d and is the fucking leader on this team. Mo matter what is happening on the court Calderon is there for his mates. He is the heart and the soul of the toronto raptors. Jack is a Calderon want to be...he tries to imitate what Caldys does during the game. Hes caldys back up and i give some credit to jack as he tries to be a leader like Jose.
Even Calderon would laugh at this one
Cappadocian is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #18 (permalink)
kicking himself for being so emotionally invested in the Roller-coaster Raptors

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,536
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor123 View Post
Fuck Jarett Jack hes a fucking back up in this league. Hes a fucking traffic cop on d......wake up folkes hes fuckin brutal on d for guy that was supposed to help us and be Calderons back up.Calderon is getting his dimes, playing solid d and is the fucking leader on this team. Mo matter what is happening on the court Calderon is there for his mates. He is the heart and the soul of the toronto raptors. Jack is a Calderon want to be...he tries to imitate what Caldys does during the game. Hes caldys back up and i give some credit to jack as he tries to be a leader like Jose.
I really don't get this viewpoint at all. To the Calderon lovers - is defence important to you at all? He fundamentally breaks our team on one side of the court - he make Steve Nash look like the fucking Glove!!!



Ever since Jarret Jack broke out of his shooting slump to start his Raptors career (basically the month of November), I've been advocating he be our starter and our future at PG, unless we get a big upgrade. He gives effort on both sides of the ball, he steps up when we need him to, and he's consistent. Calderon is a way better passer than Jack. But for this team, that really doesn't matter. Calderon's deficiencies make his strengths not enough for us. He'd be a great fit on a fantastic defensive team that could cover his flaws and was "a PG away" from being great.

Jack may not be in the same league as the top 7 PG's in the league or so, but he's one of the few Raptors who doesn't play in cruise control. He gives consistent effort on both sides of the court, and is putting up an efficient 11 and 5 in a limited 27 minutes. Given a bigger role - 30-35 mins a night, he'd be closer to about 15 and 6.5 .

He's a true PG with no major holes in his game. He's like the anti-Calderon.
-----

This year, the Euro experiment failed for us. Not because Euros suck, or because Euros can't play D (though honestly, few can), but because a team can succeed with one or two rotation players who play on cruise control and can't guard a chair, but not with a whole roster full of them.

We need way more lunchpail effot guys, and more "night in, night out" guys. Right now, we basically have three guys who you pretty much know what they are giving you every night - Bosh, Jack, and Amir. We have another guy who gives you great D but an inconsistent, spotty touch from the field - Antoine Wright. And we have another guy who may develop into a night in, night out guy in Weems. DD is a question mark, but at least he's a 20 year old question mark.

The rest of the roster is superbly talented and superbly inconsistent. Hedo, Bargnani and Jose are all paid for their performances on their best nights. Bosh, Jack, Amir and Weems are paid for their average performance, their consistency.
-------

I really don't want us to lose Bargnani this offseason because I see untapped potential in him, but this season has proven to me that we cannot be a good team with Calderon and Hedo being starters or key pieces of our team, not as currently laid out. Hedo would be great off the bench, but he's killing our cap situation that way.

I would honestly feel better with our Roster if we could unload both Calderon and Hedo this offseason.

Last edited by BballWatcher; 04-10-2010 at 07:43 PM.
BballWatcher is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:54 PM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 124
Representing:
Default

Don't know why Amir would go through the effort of rolling to the basket on the end of a PnR cause he wasn't ever going to get the ball with Jack holding on to it.

And for people who jump on Turk's back for laughing and smiling during a Raptors loss, Jack looked pretty darn happy in the last few seconds of the ATL game. (Believe me, I don't care about either Calderon or Jack, they're both tolerable backups.)
LuckyCharms is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
Lao Wai
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

In a wonderful world both JJ and Jose would be gone as well as Banks but thats unlikely.
JJ may try harder but he is only a decent back-up PG.
We need a complete overhaul of the team granted.
The only players I would say are untouchable are Weems and DD.
The only one I would resign is Amir.
I do like Brags but wouldn't hestitate to trade him for the right deal.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24