Image is everything: How Hedo Turkoglu changed Toronto Raptors

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,664
Representing:
Arrow Image is everything: How Hedo Turkoglu changed Toronto Raptors

Quote:
The Turkish swing, as the prize free agent of 2009, proved Toronto is a sought after destination.

Its diversity appeals to players in an increasingly diverse league. Europeans like Andrea Bargnani, Jose Calderon, and Turkoglu can stroll through parts of Toronto and feel they've been transported home.

They'll hear their native language. They'll see their local customs. They'll eat comfort food they grew up on. Most importantly, they'll connect with fellow countrymen living abroad.

American players are showing love, too. Last November, Mo Williams, a guard with the Cleveland Cavaliers, had this to say about Canada's largest city.

A lot of people underrate Toronto, but it has everything that New York can offer. It has a huge fan base, probably bigger. The city is just as nice as New York. The night life is on par. The weather is very similar. All it is really missing is the rich basketball history.

LINK - Hoopsvibe.com
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:32 AM   #2 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,011
Representing:
Default

ahhh isn't that cute. A feel good love Toronto story always touches that heart don't it
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #3 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Europeans like Andrea Bargnani, Jose Calderon, and Turkoglu can stroll through parts of Toronto and feel they've been transported home.
that's a pretty big stretch. that would be true if we were talking about Quebec City, or even Montreal, but i don't see how that it accurate.

Otherwise, i agree with the article. I live in a pretty great city.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Toronto is always one of the best stops on the NBA circuit. A lot of players host parties here, there are first class restaurants and the nightlife is crazy.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
that's a pretty big stretch. that would be true if we were talking about Quebec City, or even Montreal, but i don't see how that it accurate.

Otherwise, i agree with the article. I live in a pretty great city.
by the people not the look of the neighborhoods I guess
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
that's a pretty big stretch. that would be true if we were talking about Quebec City, or even Montreal, but i don't see how that it accurate.

Otherwise, i agree with the article. I live in a pretty great city.
I think multicultural wise, not infrastructure wise. Whenever I've been to Montreal, the only languages I hear are French, English, Italian and Arabic.
In Quebec City, it's just french and english.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

yeah nevermind, initially i thought they meant the feel / look of the city.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #8 (permalink)
Is The:

Chairman of the Boards
 
gdaytday's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,348
Representing:
Default

I hadn't seen that quote from Mo Williams before. Good on him!
gdaytday is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:12 AM   #9 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,377
Representing:
Default

Good to hear that from Mo.....

It's really amazing to me though that more NBA players haven't said this before.

Really.... would you rather live and play in Milwaukee, Minny or OKC?...... or Toronto?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:17 AM   #10 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Good to hear that from Mo.....

It's really amazing to me though that more NBA players haven't said this before.

Really.... would you rather live and play in Milwaukee, Minny or OKC?...... or Toronto?
This is why I think OKC is going to have a tough time keeping their core players together. I mean, really, Oklahoma City? I have a feeling guys like Westbrook and Green and Sefalosha will bolt.
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:44 AM   #11 (permalink)
is waiting for the season to start

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,223
Representing:
Default

+8746534853

Toronto is so under rated as a destination for athletes. The U.S Media who probably have never been here before and couldnt locate T.O on a map brings up the same argument all the time "TO COLD"...

Our weather is on par with cities like NY, Detroit, Cleveland etc.

Tdot is a world class city with a great fan base... WHo the fuck really wants to play in Milwaukee, Minny, OKC, Indiana etc is beyond me...
Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #12 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,029
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2k View Post
+8746534853

Toronto is so under rated as a destination for athletes. The U.S Media who probably have never been here before and couldnt locate T.O on a map brings up the same argument all the time "TO COLD"...

Our weather is on par with cities like NY, Detroit, Cleveland etc.

Tdot is a world class city with a great fan base... WHo the fuck really wants to play in Milwaukee, Minny, OKC, Indiana etc is beyond me...
Yeah that too Cold excuse holds no water at all imo.

NY,Chicago, Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland...like you said , basically the same climate.

Then there are cities like Memphis, Minny, Milwaukee, OKC, Utah, Charlotte, Portland and has anyone ever been to Washington, not a great city imo??

I think that many NBA players would play here after being in the league awhile and coming here a couple times per season.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:06 PM   #13 (permalink)
saying too many dudes are Tyson Chandler, trying to lead their teams and went nowhere

Scarborough, We Go Hard..
 
MangoKidHoops's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6,915
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Yeah that too Cold excuse holds no water at all imo.

NY,Chicago, Detroit, Indiana, Cleveland...like you said , basically the same climate.

Then there are cities like Memphis, Minny, Milwaukee, OKC, Utah, Charlotte, Portland and has anyone ever been to Washington, not a great city imo??

I think that many NBA players would play here after being in the league awhile and coming here a couple times per season.
I've been to Washington - plenty times. I have family there. It's a nice city, IMO. What didn't you like about it?
MangoKidHoops is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Now if Hedo could start contributing like the sought-after free agent that he was,
everything would be peachy!

Last few games have been a good step in the right direction though.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:22 PM   #15 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
Now if Hedo could start contributing like the sought-after free agent that he was,
everything would be peachy!

Last few games have been a good step in the right direction though.

I agree, he needs to step up

he's giving the team anthony parker production without the defence
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:53 PM   #16 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,493
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
I agree, he needs to step up

he's giving the team anthony parker production without the defence
Parker's defence? you mean the "don't touch the guy, just guide him to a dunk" defence?
________
Vaporizer portable

Last edited by carp; 03-27-2011 at 03:41 AM.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #17 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,623
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
I agree, he needs to step up

he's giving the team anthony parker production without the defence
nah... he's giving more than that.

My comment was partly in jest. I agree that he needs to step it up, and for the most part i think he has his last few games. He seems to be on the right track.

He was truly horrendous during that one stretch of games though (where he shot like 15%)
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,402
Representing:
Default

in all honesty, I don't want a player who choses a franchise based on weather, at least one who makes weather anything but the last factor. All things being equal, I can understand choosing warm weather, but things are never equal. And winning should trump all.

Also, a player should always get the maximum value contract - anything but is a flagrant violation of the CBA and lacks fair-play to the other teams. In fact, it's downright cheating.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:05 PM   #19 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,493
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
in all honesty, I don't want a player who choses a franchise based on weather, at least one who makes weather anything but the last factor. All things being equal, I can understand choosing warm weather, but things are never equal. And winning should trump all.

Also, a player should always get the maximum value contract - anything but is a flagrant violation of the CBA and lacks fair-play to the other teams. In fact, it's downright cheating.
I couldn't agree less.... except for wanting a player to not choose on weather alone. But if I was a player, money would be priority number one. There is more to life than your job. And who determines max value? other teams?
________
Ass Vid

Last edited by carp; 03-27-2011 at 03:42 AM.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:08 PM   #20 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,974
Representing:
Default

Somebody get Mo on the PR payroll.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:56 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24