Hoopshype: Raptors season preview
Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,310
Representing:
Raptors Hoopshype: Raptors season preview

Derozan a top 2 perimeter threat last season?

Quote:
ADDITIONS:
Quincy Acy (Baylor), Landry Fields (New York), Kyle Lowry (Houston), John Lucas (Houston), Dominic McGuire (Golden State), Terrence Ross (University of Washington) and Jonas Valanciunas (Lietuvas Rytas).

SUBTRACTIONS:
Solomon Alabi, Jerryd Bayless (Memphis), Gary Forbes (Houston), James Johnson (Sacramento) and Ben Uzoh (Cholet).

STRENGTHS:
Long known as a weak defensive team, coach Dwane Casey changed the Raptors, who finished in the Top 10 in the NBA in points allowed and have the potential to keep improving, especially with the addition of point guard Kyle Lowry and the signing of 2011 first-round pick Jonas Valanciunas ... Lowry gives the Raptors an intangible that is greatly needed – toughness ... Andrea Bargnani and DeMar DeRozan are a solid scoring tandem and both are excellent foul shooters ... If Jose Calderon isn’t traded, then he will team with Lowry and John Lucas III to give the Raptors great play at the point guard position ... Valanciunas brings much needed frontcourt depth and should help improve what was a middle-of-the-pack rebounding team.

WEAKNESSES:
Scoring ... Besides Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry, this team will be looking for players to provide consistent offense … Bargnani must show he's recovered from a calf injury that cost him more than half the season ... Two of the team’s top perimeter threats, Bargnani and DeRozan, have to improve from last season when they shot .296 and .261 respectively from beyond the arc ... Perimeter shooting is weak ... Even with Calderon annually having one of the best assist-to-turnover ratios, the Raptors are careless with the ball and averaged 15.2 turnovers, tied for the eighth highest in the league ... Second unit doesn't bring much to the table offensively either.
Quote:
PROJECTED STARTERS

PG Kyle Lowry- Great two-way point guard. Has excelled when given the chance to be a full-time starter. Some All-Star potential.

SG Demar Derozan- Athletic swingman that has yet to develop a decent outside shot. Contract year for him, so he won't lack motivation.

SF Landry Fields- Solid defender and rebounder. The former Knick has high basketball IQ, but will not help solve the Raptors' offensive woes.

PF Andrea Bargnani- Struggled from three last season, but there's no question he's one of the best shooting big men we've seen in the NBA.

C Jonas Valanciunas- Athletic and skilled center that should be a key piece for many years to come. Subpar performance at the Olympics.

6th Jose Calderon- Toronto added Lowry, Bayless and Lucas this offseason. The writing is on the wall for Calderon, but he will stay professional.

Quote:
PROJECTION:
5th in the Atlantic Division / 9th in the Eastern Conference


HoopsHype - NBA Season Previews 2012-13 - Toronto Raptors

Last edited by jeffb; 09-20-2012 at 09:27 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 09:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,302
Representing:
Default

9th seems to be the consensus in these forecast .. bad news for houston
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM   #3 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,757
Representing:
Default

I think the raps sneak into the playoffs because of injuries...
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:36 AM   #4 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver BC Canada
Posts: 8,209
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

lol, 9th. Aint that bad, Playoffs baby please!
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 06:40 AM   #5 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,595
Representing:
Default

9th is bad, we've been out of playoffs for so long, need some hope

also not sure if they ranked teams right

Miami
Boston
Brooklyn
?? (Indiana)
Philadelphia
New York
Chicago
?? (Atlanta?)
Toronto

Last edited by Shifty.py; 09-21-2012 at 07:02 AM.
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 AM   #6 (permalink)
Schweinsteiger7

Senior Member
 
Rene_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,007
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
9th is bad, we've been out of playoffs for so long, need some hope

also not sure if they ranked teams right

Miami
Boston
Brooklyn
?? (Indiana)
Philadelphia
New York
Chicago
?? (Atlanta?)
Toronto
Given how terrible we have been over the past few years 9th isn't that bad. However, I'd rather be the worst team in the NBA than do what we tend to do, and end up with the odd 7th, 10th and 8th picks. Unless you're extremely lucky, it's pretty hard to rebuild with those guys. I'm hoping for the playoffs or we'll have to settle for another Ed Davis esq pick or worse.
Rene_13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #7 (permalink)
is full of beans

Senior Member
 
Beans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 3,851
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rene_13 View Post
Given how terrible we have been over the past few years 9th isn't that bad. However, I'd rather be the worst team in the NBA than do what we tend to do, and end up with the odd 7th, 10th and 8th picks. Unless you're extremely lucky, it's pretty hard to rebuild with those guys. I'm hoping for the playoffs or we'll have to settle for another Ed Davis esq pick or worse.
The pick goes to Houston because of the Lowry trade, so 9th place sounds pretty good to me. I think the pick is top 5 protected this year, then top 4 next year, top 3 the year after, so I'd like to get it over with this year and give Houston the worst pick possible.
Beans is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:46 AM   #8 (permalink)
from Toronto

Raps-on-Fire
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
9th is bad, we've been out of playoffs for so long, need some hope

also not sure if they ranked teams right

Miami
Boston
Brooklyn
?? (Indiana)
Philadelphia
New York
Chicago
?? (Atlanta?)
Toronto
I wouldn't put Atlanta above us for any reason. They just lost their top scorer and has not added any reasonable replacement.
wchoi213 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canadia
Posts: 527
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
9th is bad, we've been out of playoffs for so long, need some hope

also not sure if they ranked teams right

Miami
Boston
Brooklyn
?? (Indiana)
Philadelphia
New York
Chicago
?? (Atlanta?)
Toronto
i disagree with their predictions. Brooklyn is too high, Philly is too high, and I dont think Atlanta is a playoff team. Pacers > Knicks > Nets > Sixers...... and then Chicago can really fall anywhere in the EC

Last edited by Luckedout; 09-21-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Luckedout is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Indiana is definitely above Brooklyn
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,757
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
The pick goes to Houston because of the Lowry trade, so 9th place sounds pretty good to me. I think the pick is top 5 protected this year, then top 4 next year, top 3 the year after, so I'd like to get it over with this year and give Houston the worst pick possible.
I agree!!!
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 01:12 PM   #12 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,593
Representing:
Default

not sure why everyone loves Brooklyn so much.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:15 PM   #13 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,103
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
not sure why everyone loves Brooklyn so much.
D-Will, JJ, Wallace, Humphries, Blatche and Lopez can get you in the playoffs easily. Don't think anyone expects them to go deep though.



It would be funny if this Raptors team makes the playoffs and the 09-10 team couldn't even do it lol.
DonMughal is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 04:39 PM   #14 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Canadia
Posts: 527
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMughal View Post
D-Will, JJ, Wallace, Humphries, Blatche and Lopez can get you in the playoffs easily. Don't think anyone expects them to go deep though.



It would be funny if this Raptors team makes the playoffs and the 09-10 team couldn't even do it lol.
Theyre a playoff team but ESPN and these guys seem to think theyre a top 4 team in the East. this article even has them ahead of Indiana, when theyre not even the best team out of NY.
Luckedout is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 10:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,132
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans View Post
The pick goes to Houston because of the Lowry trade, so 9th place sounds pretty good to me. I think the pick is top 5 protected this year, then top 4 next year, top 3 the year after, so I'd like to get it over with this year and give Houston the worst pick possible.
Top 3, top 2, top 2, top 1, top 1, unprotected. Ideally either we send this year's pick from 9th place or hold out until the end and send a non-lotto pick.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:19 PM   #16 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,104
Representing:
Default

I like NJ over Indi - their lineup is rock solid. Athletic, Experienced. Nice mix of defenders and scorers. A whole bunch of depth and will be able to withstand injuries throughout the season.

Joe Johnson
Deron Williams
Marshon Brooks
Gerald Wallace
Brook Lopez
Kris Humphries
Reggie Evans
Keith Bogans
Mirza Teletovic
C.J. Watson

Andray Blatche
Josh Childress
Armon Johnson
Jerry Stackhouse
Shelden Williams
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 12:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,302
Representing:
Default

brooklyn is underrated because:

1. the media seems to hate them, my best guess is it's because they were criticized so heavily for that deron trade and it turned out so good for them

2. deron and lopez are very underrated now because they loafed through the past 2-3 seasons. 2 years ago many had deron as the best pg in the league over CP3, and there's nothing that changed since, he didn't have a major injury or anything. He just lacked the motivation on a team with no perspective.

If they had a better coach, I think they could even chalenge Miami, they have the defenders to contain lebron/wade and they have the offensive firepower to go head to head with them. I wouldn't be shocked to see Avery canned next summer and replaced with a big gun like SVG.

The only problem with them is that their window is at best 2 years, wallace and johnson are fairly old now and they won't have any chance of replacing them anytime soon.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #18 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 1,866
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
brooklyn is underrated because:

1. the media seems to hate them, my best guess is it's because they were criticized so heavily for that deron trade and it turned out so good for them

2. deron and lopez are very underrated now because they loafed through the past 2-3 seasons. 2 years ago many had deron as the best pg in the league over CP3, and there's nothing that changed since, he didn't have a major injury or anything. He just lacked the motivation on a team with no perspective.

If they had a better coach, I think they could even chalenge Miami, they have the defenders to contain lebron/wade and they have the offensive firepower to go head to head with them. I wouldn't be shocked to see Avery canned next summer and replaced with a big gun like SVG.

The only problem with them is that their window is at best 2 years, wallace and johnson are fairly old now and they won't have any chance of replacing them anytime soon.
that's my main issue with them. I also just feel, apart from D-will they're solid rather than spectacular. I was loving wallace in the first half last season then he just seemed to drop off badly. He needs to prove he can still do it, but probably he will if Nets are doing well.

it's a pretty solid team. They could maybe get as high as 3rd-5th but even then i don't see them going deep, and more likely imo, they'll be 5th-7th and go out 1st round.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #19 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 895
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristTrip View Post
lol, 9th. Aint that bad, Playoffs baby please!
The Toronto sports market has successfully socialized you. Lmao at 9th aint bad
jrob23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:26 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24