Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Hollinger Chat: Raps do not have the pieces to defend adequately (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/hollinger-chat-raps-do-not-have-pieces-defend-adequately-11404.html)

Acie 11-12-2009 01:01 PM

Hollinger Chat: Raps do not have the pieces to defend adequately
 
Surprise, surprise...and who is this Bryan from Toronto guy? ;)

Quote:

Bryan (Toronto)

Do you believe The Raps have the pieces to defend adequately, or are they doomed to give up monstrous FG% and PPG numbers with the people/coach they have?

John Hollinger (12:22 PM)


I do not believe they have the pieces, no. In a best-case scenario I suppose they could finish around, say, 20th, in Defensive Efficiency. As long as they're commited to starting Bargnani at the five, Turkoglu at the 3 and Calderon at the 1 they're going to be flammable.
LINK - ESPN.com

Superjudge 11-12-2009 01:07 PM

Bullshit.

I watched Calderon play a great game on both sides last night.

DVS 11-12-2009 01:10 PM

In other news The Sky is Blue.

Actually 20th would be pretty good they would make the playoffs as like a 6th seed

Windex 11-12-2009 01:15 PM

stat guy commenting on stats

moremilk 11-12-2009 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 267165)
Bullshit.

I watched Calderon play a great game on both sides last night.

so why didn't you watch the raptors game instead?
And who is this other calderon you're talking about, wasn't aware Jose has a brother in the league :)

CB4Real 11-12-2009 01:30 PM

yeah way to represent T-Dot, but i think hollinger is wrong bosh is right there is no special trick to rebounding you just go and get it and if this team stays focused and can turn games around and play like they did yesterday in the 4th quarter then we could be the 16th defensive team i believe

Snooch 11-12-2009 02:26 PM

Stat guy commenting on something stats themselves say otherwise.

Raptorman 11-12-2009 02:34 PM

If they still suck after Reggie comes back, I'll start to PANIC!!

Until then, I'll just fret after every opposing basket.

Bmats7 11-12-2009 03:06 PM

Ya Calderon, Derozan, Bosh, Johnson and Wright look like they are trying out there on defence. I haven't seen anyone light up Turk yet either, I've been kinda impressed with his defence actually. I think it's his length that makes up for his lack of foot speed.

Bargnani however is brutal. It starts with his defensive rebounding. 1 shot per posession for the opponent is the way to play defence.

DVS 11-12-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raptorman (Post 267215)
If they still suck after Reggie comes back, I'll start to PANIC!!

Until then, I'll just fret after every opposing basket.

Hoping a Bench Player fixes everything


Sounds like you'll still be "fret"ing after every basket

moremilk 11-12-2009 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CB4Real (Post 267179)
yeah way to represent T-Dot, but i think hollinger is wrong bosh is right there is no special trick to rebounding you just go and get it and if this team stays focused and can turn games around and play like they did yesterday in the 4th quarter then we could be the 16th defensive team i believe

he's not talking about rebounding, he's talking about defense - very different thing. While Hollinger targets jose, hedu and bargnani, it's not like bosh and derozan are standing out as good defenders.

as far as our defensive "performance", if we could play only 4th quarters against tired teams on a back to back, I believe we could be a defensive power. We held Cleveland, Detroit and Chicago to very low scoring 4th quarters this season due to our impressive defence :)

Kuzzy 11-12-2009 08:04 PM

I agree with hollinger. To be honest, our defence does not look any better then last seasons.

jeffb 11-12-2009 08:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuzzy (Post 267380)
I agree with hollinger. To be honest, our defence does not look any better then last seasons.

Same coach, did anyone think that the system would be that much better?

Kuzzy 11-12-2009 08:12 PM

the offseason actually gave him the time to implement a new defensive scheme that could possibly work. So far, this new d-scheme hasn't proven to be effective at all.

VanCity 11-12-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DVS (Post 267166)
In other news The Sky is Blue.

Actually 20th would be pretty good they would make the playoffs as like a 6th seed

out here in the west coast...its actually grey... rainy and smoggy.....

just saying....

Premiere 11-12-2009 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 267384)
Same coach, did anyone think that the system would be that much better?

When you bring in new coaches and dedicate the team philosophies to defense....well, yes. You expect change.

I think the Raptors actually have become better defensively (flaming inc), but they've lacked consistency.
We can put up great defensive efforts when motivated, like in the second quarter of the Bulls game or for most of the Cavs game.

We either start out or end up flat footed - and it's not just on defense it's on both ends of the floor. I think that just points to the effort/mental toughness that have plagued the Raptors for many a season.

Admiral 11-12-2009 09:47 PM

hollinger basically used stats to explain something that everyone can see without the use of stats

how do you expect the team to be defensive when their core players are like the anti-defense? when your core 3 are bosh, bargs and jose and they are on the floor like 75% of the time as 3 of the 5 guys, how do you expect the team to be defensive? the other 2 guys could be like bruce bowen and mutombo and we still wouldn't be playing any defense
when 60% of the guys on the court play don't play D it won't work because D is all about rotating

ska 11-13-2009 05:23 AM

Defense is something that can be learned. Being able to score at will isn't. That's why Wade, Bron etc value is so high. I expect Raps to slowly learn how to defend and surprise someone when PO will come.

Bmats7 11-13-2009 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ska (Post 267492)
Defense is something that can be learned. Being able to score at will isn't. That's why Wade, Bron etc value is so high. I expect Raps to slowly learn how to defend and surprise someone when PO will come.

Lebron can score, grab rebounds, and get assists. He is also one of the best defensive players in the league. He can get points in the clutch by hitting fadeaway three's or getting to the basket/line.

The same goes for Wade but on a smaller scale.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24