Here's a thought: Casey purposely tanking? Has the go ahead from Masai Ujiri

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2013, 11:45 AM   #1 (permalink)
is waiting for the season to start

Senior Member
 
Ex2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4,216
Representing:
Lightbulb Here's a thought: Casey purposely tanking? Has the go ahead from Masai Ujiri

I know i know... Far fetched right?

But what if, Masai and Casey had a talk over the summer and this is the plan they came up with. Masai guaranteed Casey a extension at the end of the season if he made it look like the Raptors were trying, playing well the first half or majority of the game then ultimately losing?

What if his in game decisions, substitutions, clock management (not fouling) etc are done purposely for the Tank with no fear of losing his job because of this "deal"?

MU also said that Casey wont be judged on wins or losses but other aspects of the play of the team. Our defense and rebounding has gotten better, Demar is playing at a higher level, and JV is no longer foul prone etc.

Surely he has to be purposely tanking and not this bad of a coach?

Ex2k is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)
taking you to school

Senior Member
 
ZanTheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,333
Representing:
Default

Highly likely except for the part where Casey is guaranteed an extension.
ZanTheMan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:51 AM   #3 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex2k View Post
I know i know... Far fetched right?

But what if, Masai and Casey had a talk over the summer and this is the plan they came up with. Masai guaranteed Casey a extension at the end of the season if he made it look like the Raptors were trying, playing well the first half or majority of the game then ultimately losing?

What if his in game decisions, substitutions, clock management (not fouling) etc are done purposely for the Tank with no fear of losing his job because of this "deal"?

MU also said that Casey wont be judged on wins or losses but other aspects of the play of the team. Our defense and rebounding has gotten better, Demar is playing at a higher level, and JV is no longer foul prone etc.

Surely he has to be purposely tanking and not this bad of a coach?

No. If the players ever thought of that as a possibility, essentially messing with their careers, word would get around the league and no player would want to play here.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,296
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
and no player would want to play here.
Shit we can't have that.

I mean they're practically beating down our doors to get in.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,895
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
No. If the players ever thought of that as a possibility, essentially messing with their careers, word would get around the league and no player would want to play here.
Now that I think about it though......It kinda makes sense. Was Casey this bad last season, I mean, we went the second half of the season at 500, i don't remember him being this shit of a coach. I don't remember so many ISO plays, I don't remember allowing rudy to take as many shots as he does (literally shooting us out of games and quarters). Maybe they secretly are tanking, and we just won a few games at the beginning of the season to make it appear that we weren't....but then again Casey could just be a shit ass HC
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:09 PM   #6 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Shit we can't have that.

I mean they're practically beating down our doors to get in.
We have it already. Had it for years. Lieweke and Ujiri introduced themselves with a promise of change and building a winning culture. Hollow words thus far.

Colangelo started his downfall the day he drafted Bargnani. I hope Masai didn't start his the day he decided to keep Casey as the teams coach, but any idea of some " understanding" between Masai and Casey is an insult to the supporters of the team and I can't see Masai doing that, let alone promising an extension if Casey went along. The whole idea is plain stupid.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #7 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Drake will be our new head coach soon, book it!
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:13 PM   #8 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Drake will be our new head coach soon, book it!
8 to 5 in Vegas.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,296
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
We have it already. Had it for years.
No shit sherlock. lol
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #10 (permalink)
taking you to school

Senior Member
 
ZanTheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,333
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
We have it already. Had it for years. Lieweke and Ujiri introduced themselves with a promise of change and building a winning culture. Hollow words thus far.

Colangelo started his downfall the day he drafted Bargnani. I hope Masai didn't start his the day he decided to keep Casey as the teams coach, but any idea of some " understanding" between Masai and Casey is an insult to the supporters of the team and I can't see Masai doing that, let alone promising an extension if Casey went along. The whole idea is plain stupid.
Imagine how Celtics fans must feel. They went through it in '97 as well...
Trust me it happens...
ZanTheMan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,681
Representing:
Default

this team defies any thoughts
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #12 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,741
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZanTheMan View Post
Imagine how Celtics fans must feel. They went through it in '97 as well...
Trust me it happens...
Probably not too bad. One Nba title, another finals, some good basketball and players. Us, we got Primo commercials, Landry Fields in the back of an SUV, Turkyglues Pizza commercials, and Babcock giving Vince away for some used jockstraps. I have no sympathy for the Celtics fans. They got wine and pate, we're getting CLR and Spam.

Last edited by niggles; 12-04-2013 at 12:42 PM.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:41 PM   #13 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,137
Representing:
Default

I think Rudy is cursed remember Clippers playoffs?
The Greatest Playoff Comeback in L.A. Clippers History | Bleacher Report
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 PM   #14 (permalink)
making funny and strange dark trade in his mind !!!

Senior Member
 
Bankiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,321
Representing:
Default

If MU and DC are colleding to tank, i think they have ask Gay to be with them in that conspiracy for Wiggins !

A good plan !
Bankiz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #15 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,681
Representing:
Default

A friend of my wife is from Maine. She has been a fan of the Boston teams since she was a kid. Last summer she compared Toronto's fortunes in sports to Boston's. Yeah, I thought, except Boston gets to win everything more than anyone else, and even when their team is going through a supposed curse they are playing for a championship. Close enough though.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #16 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,137
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
A friend of my wife is from Maine. She has been a fan of the Boston teams since she was a kid. Last summer she compared Toronto's fortunes in sports to Boston's. Yeah, I thought, except Boston gets to win everything more than anyone else, and even when their team is going through a supposed curse they are playing for a championship. Close enough though.
here this will make you feel better, maybe..
Raptors at Warriors Points Per Game: An epic disaster that might actually help franchise in the long run by forcing Masai Ujiri’s hand | Courtside
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 01:07 PM   #17 (permalink)
Unacceptable?! Did you see the pool? They flipped the bitch!

Get off my lawn
 
Renihan_00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,359
Representing:
Default

If that were the case I would have thought you would see a lot more play through Val.

Then we would lose a lot more games but also put as much as we can into developing players. With the time seen by Ross and Val, I don't see how this could be the case.

I'll hope tho!
Renihan_00 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 PM   #18 (permalink)
taking you to school

Senior Member
 
ZanTheMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,333
Representing:
Default

Maybe MU is afraid Val will screw up our chances at Wiggins
ZanTheMan is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 03:49 PM   #19 (permalink)
a baller

Senior Member
 
bjjs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,101
Representing:
Default

Quote:
There’s no coming back from this for the coaching staff, so the elephant in the room, the lame duck status of Dwane Casey will be resolved. And it can only be resolved one way now. “It’s hard to keep your head up,” said a stunned Casey afterward. Dwane’s been around a long time. He surely knows his time in Toronto is running out, barring a miracle in the next couple of weeks – and how many miracles has this organization had on its side over the years? Starting the fourth, knowing Golden State was about to start throwing Mike Tyson haymakers, putting Steve Novak, the team’s worst defender on the floor was an odd gamble. Letting Kyle Lowry stay on the court despite getting his bell rung was a gamble. Even if he didn’t have a concussion, he didn’t look right. Julyan Stone did a decent job earlier and is a superb defender who forced Stephen Curry into a rare pull-up airball earlier in the game (Curry is the league’s best pull-up shooter). Then the team failed to load up at the three-point line, daring the Warriors the best three-point shooting team in NBA history, to beat Toronto by going to the rim. It wasn’t pretty.
This is bang on - for a 'defensive minded' coach, his decision making on that end demonstrate a complete lack of understanding for what is actually happening in front of him. It's like he sticks with the gameplan/rotation no matter what. Very Triano like.

Quote:
One good early sign was Toronto attacking Golden State inside early. You know Stephen Curry is going to light it up every night, so having Kyle Lowry post him up was solid coaching.
This was great...except for the fact a true-post up only happened one time.
bjjs is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 06:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
is waiting

Senior Member
 
Blaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,222
Representing:
Default

I guess we've been tanking seen he's got here.
Blaze is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:12 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24