Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Grantland: Raptors late game awfulness (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/grantland-raptors-late-game-awfulness-24128.html)

jeffb 11-27-2012 03:22 PM

Grantland: Raptors late game awfulness
 
Quote:

1. Toronto's Late-Game Awfulness

Toronto is 1-7 in games in which the scoring margin has been at three or fewer points anytime in the last three minutes of regulation or overtime, per NBA.com. They are a league-worst -41 in those games, with the latest indignity coming in Sunday's double-overtime loss to the Spurs, which featured a five-second violation and Dwane Casey's puzzling decision to sit an active Ed Davis in favor of an ice-cold Andrea Bargnani.

Bad luck has played a role here; remember George Hill's buzzer-beating floater, Charlotte's uncalled foul on a potential Bargnani buzzer-beater, and Al Jefferson's game-tying 3-pointer the second triple of his career? Injuries to Landry Fields and Alan Anderson have also limited Casey's ability to match up with small lineups in specific late-game situations.

But some of his substitution patterns have been puzzling, including over-playing Bargnani and showing little trust in Jonas Valanciunas and Terrence Ross even when those guys are going well. A lack of faith in rookies is understandable, but some of Toronto's weaker off-ball defenders Bargnani, Jose Calderon, and DeMar DeRozan have really hurt the Raps in crunch-time possessions.


What if the Sixers didn't trade for Andrew Bynum? - Grantland

FLO 11-27-2012 03:39 PM

We really should be 0-8 in late-game situations. Our one win we scored 5 points in the 4th quarter. Only by some miracle Indy was equally terrible.

In terms of our defense in the 4th, I've seen horrible play from every single Raptor. As much as it pains me to admit, I can't just blame Bargs or Calderon for it. It's a team failure.

jeffb 11-27-2012 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLO (Post 710167)
I can't just blame Bargs or Calderon for it. It's a team failure.

I can, our two worst defenders should not both be on the floor down the stretch. It kills us!

carp 11-27-2012 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLO (Post 710167)
We really should be 0-8 in late-game situations. Our one win we scored 5 points in the 4th quarter. Only by some miracle Indy was equally terrible.

In terms of our defense in the 4th, I've seen horrible play from every single Raptor. As much as it pains me to admit, I can't just blame Bargs or Calderon for it. It's a team failure.

Agreed, also, our offensive execution is lacking in the 4th. We get bogged down and forget to run the system.

It always feels like we don't have guys that can hit big shots....

LX 11-27-2012 04:26 PM

I've been wondering if there is a Triano-like trend to have all the early running end up killing the legs of shooters and defenders by the time the 4th quarter comes along.

MikeToronto 11-27-2012 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 710197)
Agreed, also, our offensive execution is lacking in the 4th. We get bogged down and forget to run the system.

It always feels like we don't have guys that can hit big shots....

Right on. Raps don't have much of an offensive system to begin with, so when they get tired by the fourth and the other teams take away the early and predictable offensive options, they start to really suck. Personally, if a team plays better through the first three than in the fourth consistently, I'd blame the coaching staff.

Raptors74 11-27-2012 04:33 PM

we have no halfcourt offense whatsoever

Claudius 11-27-2012 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 710170)
I can, our two worst defenders should not both be on the floor down the stretch. It kills us!

Defense hasn't been the issue though. It's been execution (as carp mentioned).

Too many times we're settling for jumpers. That's what I've been saying. We're not cutting towards the basket. We're not moving off the ball. Heck, sometimes it's like we're playing iso and clearing out but some of the other guys aren't aware that's what's going on.

MikeToronto 11-27-2012 04:37 PM

Wow, a lot of people agreeing on something. :yeah:

carp 11-27-2012 04:41 PM

As has been said, it does seem that we take what the D gives us despite the fact that they're giving us what we should not be content with. LX may be on to something, though I think we're seeing a mental fatigue, an unwillingness to not settle and push for what we can actually get. As Claudius mentioned, too many lazy jumpers.... Bargnani included but not solely him either.

FLO 11-27-2012 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carp (Post 710197)
Agreed, also, our offensive execution is lacking in the 4th. We get bogged down and forget to run the system.

It always feels like we don't have guys that can hit big shots....

They can hit big shots, but our offense is really poor and ball movement terrible. The majority of our "big shots" that we need are difficult shots to begin with and would miss anyways. On top of that we don't have a superstar talent who can go beyond that, so we're asking a couple of players who aren't superstars to play like superstars.

Dario 11-27-2012 04:52 PM

yup, no late game execution.. we fall a part.

CobraKing 11-27-2012 04:59 PM

You'd need a top level coach to make anything out of the talent we have. Rick Carlisle with the Pistons & Pacers comes to mind - but his players were alot more grittier. Hubie Brown did a fantastic job with the Grizzlies too.

Wasn't Avery Johnson available around the same time they hired Casey?

jeffb 11-27-2012 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CobraKing (Post 710217)
You'd need a top level coach to make anything out of the talent we have. Rick Carlisle with the Pistons & Pacers comes to mind - but his players were alot more grittier. Hubie Brown did a fantastic job with the Grizzlies too.

Wasn't Avery Johnson available around the same time they hired Casey?

No, if i recall correctly it came down to Lawrence Frank or Dwane Casey. Avery Johnson was already in NJ at the time.

CobraKing 11-27-2012 05:03 PM

Thanks for clarifying - at this stage I'd welcome Butch Carter back, but he looks like he'd stir up some more trouble with management.

KoolAid 11-27-2012 05:46 PM

Avery Johnson is poop.

raptor123 11-27-2012 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FLO (Post 710167)
We really should be 0-8 in late-game situations. Our one win we scored 5 points in the 4th quarter. Only by some miracle Indy was equally terrible.

In terms of our defense in the 4th, I've seen horrible play from every single Raptor. As much as it pains me to admit, I can't just blame Bargs or Calderon for it. It's a team failure.

Its team defence thats hurting us. We are suppoesed to be better this year we have Lowry.....but then he runs all over the place ...hes a dog a pitbull...Casey still has to address this just like he keeps throwing out Bargs out there he does the same with our hero. Casey will get it going we will be on a winning streak come christmas !

jeffb 11-27-2012 07:37 PM

Can't keep puting Bargnani and Calderon on the floor at the same time late in games. The defense those two give us puts way too much pressure on everyone else, one of them being a rookie. It kills us everytime, and sorry but the Lowry/Calderon combo to end games doesn't work either.

Trade the two ole's.

raptor123 11-27-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeffb (Post 710267)
Can't keep puting Bargnani and Calderon on the floor at the same time late in games. The defense those two give us puts way too much pressure on everyone else, one of them being a rookie. It kills us everytime, and sorry but the Lowry/Calderon combo to end games doesn't work either.

Trade the two ole's.

Well we cant sit Lowry who will run the offence and Lowry has been getting burned late in games on d. Bargs spreads the floor and played well down the stretch on d using his length very effectively. Making shots late in games has to get better. Our d from start to finish has to get better.

box92 11-27-2012 07:54 PM

we really need to bench bargs when he does play bad, he isnt a player who should be given a free pass to play no matter how bad he is doing


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24