Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Grange: Triano, Raptors Still Working on Details (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/grange-triano-raptors-still-working-details-8171.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 06-03-2009 09:44 AM

Grange: Triano, Raptors Still Working on Details
 
:reporter:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Grange
When it comes to the big picture, the Toronto Raptors coaching situation is crystal clear: Jay Triano is the head coach, with a mandate to get the NBA team back into the Eastern Conference playoff picture.

The details? They’re still being worked out.

The two biggest names linked to the Raptors staff in recent days – Marc Iavaroni and Alvin Williams – are yet to be set in stone, according to team sources.

Iavaroni – the former Memphis Grizzlies head coach and veteran assistant with stints in Cleveland, Miami and Phoenix – is the foremost candidate for the lead assistant role alongside Triano, but a deal is not yet finalized.

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo shot down a report that surfaced earlier this week that Iavaroni’s signing was being held up by the Grizzlies, who are seeking compensation in exchange for releasing their former coach from the final year of his contract.

“It’s not true,” Colangelo said. “It’s absolutely false.”

And while signs point to former Raptors guard Williams being added as an assistant coach with an emphasis on skills development, it has not been confirmed.

“It’s not a done deal,” said Triano, adding he hopes to meet with Williams next week. “We’ve talked on the phone and had initial talks, but nothing is done yet.”

Source - Triano, Raptors still working on details - The Globe and Mail

Claudius 06-03-2009 09:50 AM

Iavaroni, seems to be a Colangelo favourite, but I'm not sold on him being a lead assistant. Personally, I'd much rather go with a guy who has had HC experience as my lead assistant. The name that always jumps out to me is PJ Carlessimo as he'd be that calming influence on the bench. Iavaroni and AW rounding out the coaching staff would make this entire staff a damn good one then.

VanCity 06-03-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 189194)
Iavaroni, seems to be a Colangelo favourite, but I'm not sold on him being a lead assistant. Personally, I'd much rather go with a guy who has had HC experience as my lead assistant. The name that always jumps out to me is PJ Carlessimo as he'd be that calming influence on the bench. Iavaroni and AW rounding out the coaching staff would make this entire staff a damn good one then.

he was the head coach at memphis for 2 years........

Claudius 06-03-2009 10:14 AM

And he didn't fair too well. PJ hasn't done that well either, but serving as a LA under Popovich and being a key member of the SAS, I'd much rather go with him.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 06-03-2009 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 189202)
And he didn't fair too well. PJ hasn't done that well either, but serving as a LA under Popovich and being a key member of the SAS, I'd much rather go with him.

True and Ivaroni was lead assistant behind a pretty good guy in Phoenix too..but i think the reason BC likes Ivaroni aside from his familiarity has to do with Ivaroni's experience with the running game. He knows how to coach the game BC wants to play.

Claudius 06-03-2009 10:34 AM

See, I don't see D'Antoni as a good coach though ;)

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 06-03-2009 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claudius (Post 189208)
See, I don't see D'Antoni as a good coach though ;)

I'm not arguing your opinion... it's perfectly valid... just giving my opinion on why BC will hire Ivaroni over someone like Carlissimo :) So if that's who you're hoping for, dont' hold you breath :)

moremilk 06-03-2009 01:24 PM

why do you assume that carlissimo is even available? Also, I think this will be 95% triano's decision, because in the end he's the one that has to get along with his assistants. I'm sure bryan and jay will have lengty conversations on this, but it's very unlikely that bryan will force triano to get somebody he doesn't want (or refuse him the guy he chooses).

jatt_sharab1 06-03-2009 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by moremilk (Post 189303)
why do you assume that carlissimo is even available? Also, I think this will be 95% triano's decision, because in the end he's the one that has to get along with his assistants. I'm sure bryan and jay will have lengty conversations on this, but it's very unlikely that bryan will force triano to get somebody he doesn't want (or refuse him the guy he chooses).



triano was actually the one to bring him in last year not colangelo


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24