Grange: Raps will look to re-sign their own FA with cap space
Old 06-17-2009, 07:24 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
Grange: Raps will look to re-sign their own FA with cap space

I don't like the sound of this.

Quote:
With Evans on board, the Raptors have begun to address their deficiencies in toughness and rebounding. The club is also continuing to work out prospects in advance of the June 25 NBA draft, with players such as Jonny Flynn, Jrue Holiday, DeMar DeRozan and Brandon Jennings coming into focus.

Toronto also tendered its qualifying offer to shooting guard Carlos Delfino, a restricted free agent who played in Russia last season and who is expected to re-sign with the Raptors for the 2009-10 NBA season.

Indications are the club is also leaning toward using the roughly $10-million (U.S.) it has available under the salary cap to resign their own free agents and then add a player by way of the mid-level exception and the bi-annual exception.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1184938/

Last edited by jeffb; 06-17-2009 at 07:27 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
summa!

怪獣
 
logicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 884
Representing:
Default

so not much of a change from last year .... re-sign + MLE + draft pick = 2009 toronto Raptors ... lets hope BC suprises via blockbuster trade on draft night
logicz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,219
Representing:
Default

Unlikely any blockbuster deals go down.

I think BC thinks that our team can succeed if they have the time to pay together and also with the necessary depth.

Between the #9, Delfino's rights, a resigned Marion, MLE and LLE he's going to make it work I'm sure.

I think Marion staying is going to be important though.
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
So it looks like:

-Sign Delfino
-Trade for Evans
-Re-sign AP and possibly Joey?
-Draft 1-2 players
-Make an MLE signing?

In other words not much change to starting lineup and just add a bit of depth? Bye Bye CB4...

jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,245
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
So it looks like:

-Sign Delfino
-Trade for Evans
-Re-sign AP and possibly Joey?
-Draft 1-2 players
-Make an MLE signing?

In other words not much change to starting lineup and just add a bit of depth? Bye Bye CB4...

Relax ... the off-season hasn't even officially started yet and you people are already about to jump off the ledge. BC's always kept hush-hush about things and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Expect more changes to come.
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
summa!

怪獣
 
logicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 884
Representing:
Default

signing marion is very crucial part in BC decision either a sign/trade something along those lines we need someone at the 3 and not bargnani.
logicz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. J. Naismith View Post
Relax ... the off-season hasn't even officially started yet and you people are already about to jump off the ledge. BC's always kept hush-hush about things and I don't expect that to change anytime soon. Expect more changes to come.
Possibly. Afterall it is Michael Grange?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
...

Resident Mavs Fan
 
10gizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2,219
Representing:
Default

I actually think it's much better if we don't do anything huge.

We clearly started clicking later in the season. Our coaching staff is getting a nice fresh start with Triano, Iavaroni and co. The starting lineup is fairly set at this point as we have basically 4 positions on lock.

Between the draft, our 2 exception and our tradeable contracts I think we can get a decent starting 2 and a bit more depth.

I think that if worst comes to worst, we can't get an SG...I see a Delfino/AP/draft pick being our rotating 2 position which could possibly sustain us until the trade deadline where a bigger deal is more likely to happen...
10gizzle is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,715
Representing:
Default

I think if there's any big trades it will involve guys like Jose and Bargnani - the kind of guys nobody expects to go.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
I think if there's any big trades it will involve guys like Jose and Bargnani - the kind of guys nobody expects to go.
I highly doubt Jose is going anywhere. And Bargnani isn't worth discussing since he certainly isn't going anywhere as long as BC is here.


The only big name that might be traded is Marion (S&T), unless BC gets a huge offer for Bosh he can't refuse.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #11 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,663
Representing:
Default

I think ANYBODY on this roster is tradeable, for the right offer. That definitely includes Bargnani and calderon. However, Bryan should put a VERY HIGH value on Andreea. He still has the potential to become an all star center. And young all star centers are a very rare commodity and should be traded only for a top 25 player (someone like bosh). Even though Andreea is not as good as Chris, if we get anything less than that in a trade, we have a good chance of biting our nails in 2-3 years.

And that's why trading andreea is very difficult. Much like Bynum, he's still an unknown commodity. I doubt we could even get a player like Butler for Andreea. Jose is much easier to trade since he's pretty much what he is, not going to get much better now.

And the other thing that makes trading these 2 guys very difficult is that unless you get an all star at 2/3, it makes no sense. Both of them are solid starters and if we upgrade at the 2, we'll have a bigger weakness at PG or C, the toughest positions to upgrade in NBA. If I'd have to choose, I'd much rather take a good PG and a bad SG than the other way around.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I think ANYBODY on this roster is tradeable, for the right offer. That definitely includes Bargnani and calderon. However, Bryan should put a VERY HIGH value on Andreea. He still has the potential to become an all star center. And young all star centers are a very rare commodity and should be traded only for a top 25 player (someone like bosh). Even though Andreea is not as good as Chris, if we get anything less than that in a trade, we have a good chance of biting our nails in 2-3 years.

And that's why trading andreea is very difficult. Much like Bynum, he's still an unknown commodity. I doubt we could even get a player like Butler for Andreea. Jose is much easier to trade since he's pretty much what he is, not going to get much better now.

And the other thing that makes trading these 2 guys very difficult is that unless you get an all star at 2/3, it makes no sense. Both of them are solid starters and if we upgrade at the 2, we'll have a bigger weakness at PG or C, the toughest positions to upgrade in NBA. If I'd have to choose, I'd much rather take a good PG and a bad SG than the other way around.
It's too early to trade Andrea. You've gotta let his value and salary grow before even thinking of trading him, to maximize the return. Plus you've gotta see if Bosh is staying. If he doesn't want to stay, i can't see both being traded.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #13 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I think ANYBODY on this roster is tradeable, for the right offer. That definitely includes Bargnani and calderon. However, Bryan should put a VERY HIGH value on Andreea. He still has the potential to become an all star center. And young all star centers are a very rare commodity and should be traded only for a top 25 player (someone like bosh). Even though Andreea is not as good as Chris, if we get anything less than that in a trade, we have a good chance of biting our nails in 2-3 years.

And that's why trading andreea is very difficult. Much like Bynum, he's still an unknown commodity. I doubt we could even get a player like Butler for Andreea. Jose is much easier to trade since he's pretty much what he is, not going to get much better now.

And the other thing that makes trading these 2 guys very difficult is that unless you get an all star at 2/3, it makes no sense. Both of them are solid starters and if we upgrade at the 2, we'll have a bigger weakness at PG or C, the toughest positions to upgrade in NBA. If I'd have to choose, I'd much rather take a good PG and a bad SG than the other way around.
I finally agree with you . Hopefully Bargnani isn't always an all-star prospect but makes the all-star team next year. With him and Bosh as all-stars... and Calderon one of the top 10 pg's in the league and Marion a former all-star.. things are starting to look up for next year if we stay injury free.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmats7 View Post
I finally agree with you . Hopefully Bargnani isn't always an all-star prospect but makes the all-star team next year. With him and Bosh as all-stars... and Calderon one of the top 10 pg's in the league and Marion a former all-star.. things are starting to look up for next year if we stay injury free.
+1


And if we make the right draft pick(s) and add depth with MLE,FA,Trade we`ll be fine.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:39 PM   #15 (permalink)
Kuzzy
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
It's too early to trade Andrea. You've gotta let his value and salary grow before even thinking of trading him, to maximize the return. Plus you've gotta see if Bosh is staying. If he doesn't want to stay, i can't see both being traded.
Whether Bosh will stay or not already has been determined. He wants to test the market and it has already been rumored that he is interested in going to Miami. You trade him now or watch his value depreciate.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:45 PM   #16 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,715
Representing:
Default

To say that Jose and Andrea are untradable is ridiculous. I'd say they have as good of a chance as anybody, maybe more. For one thing they have real value. For another thing they have played no small part in this team underachieving. Put 1 and 1 together and I think you get 2. Of course it would have to be a really big trade in terms of making the team better. I just think that's a completely overlooked and darkened corner that all the trade scenario hawks overlook for no real legitimate reason.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,000
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by •LX• View Post
To say that Jose and Andrea are untradable is ridiculous. I'd say they have as good of a chance as anybody, maybe more. For one thing they have real value. For another thing they have played no small part in this team underachieving. Put 1 and 1 together and I think you get 2. Of course it would have to be a really big trade in terms of making the team better. I just think that's a completely overlooked and darkened corner that all the trade scenario hawks overlook for no real legitimate reason.

Bargnani will have more value in a few years when he has more good play under his belt and a higher priced contract (which brings in more in return), as for Jose...i guess there is a slight chance he could get dealt but i doubt it.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:00 AM   #18 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,663
Representing:
Default

yeah, unless you find some GM who's willing to trade for what he could become, I'd rather take the chance with andreea. Even if he's 50/50 to become an all star, it's still better for us to take that chance, considering that cb's future is so uncertain. Trading Andreea to try to keep Bosh and then losing chris if the team is still no good would leave us in a horrible spot. I would much much rather trade jose than andreea. Of course, our biggest trade asset is bosh, who I think is still overvalued by many GMs
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,715
Representing:
Default

I would agree that Jose would be more apt to go than Bargs due to what could come back.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 04:28 AM   #20 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,731
Representing:
Default

Bargs with his 6 mil contract and still an upside is not going anywhere.

Jose
DeRozan/Henderson
Marion
Bosh
Bargnani

looks quite ok to me.
now bench is more shakey. Again.

Roko
Parker
Delfino
Evans
OBryant

is sub par. Having Pops would help a bit
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grange: Raps trying to keep AP and Delfino Snooch Toronto Raptors 20 07-07-2009 04:44 PM
Grange: Raps Should of Gone After Pietrus Instead of Kapono Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 10 02-02-2009 06:33 PM
Can the Raps sign him? Barracuda Entertainment Lounge 9 11-13-2008 05:18 PM
Raps Sign Jamal Sampson Snooch Toronto Raptors 13 10-02-2008 01:25 AM
Grange: Raps To Battle It Out For Bottom Playoff Spots Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 30 07-08-2008 11:52 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24