Grange moves to the FAN and Sportsnet
Old 06-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #1 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default Grange moves to the FAN and Sportsnet

Quote:
There’s a new voice on Sportsnet Radio The FAN 590 while a familiar one has been silenced.

After 23 years of reporting hockey for The FAN 590, Howard Berger was told Wednesday that his services were no longer required. On the same day, The FAN announced that it has added former Globe and Mail reporter Michael Grange.
Quote:
Grange will appear as a co-host on Prime Time Sports as well as on other FAN shows while writing a column for Sportsnet’s website. He will also appear on Sportsnet’s news show.

LINK - Toronto Star
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:48 AM   #2 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

No Howard Berger.....

Last edited by jeffb; 06-02-2011 at 08:50 AM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Good for the progress of basketball in Toronto. More basketball talk on the radio is refreshing. Maybe some good basketball questions on the FAN 590. It was nice hearing some good questions drilling BC on the FAN this morning.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
Good for the progress of basketball in Toronto. More basketball talk on the radio is refreshing. Maybe some good basketball questions on the FAN 590. It was nice hearing some good questions drilling BC on the FAN this morning.
I listen to Howard Stern in the A.M, and in the afternoon i listen to TSN radio surprisingly, they talk a lot of basketball.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

they need to get more people familiar with the beautiful game.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
........

Senior Member
 
MrClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,372
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I listen to Howard Stern in the A.M, and in the afternoon i listen to TSN radio surprisingly, they talk a lot of basketball.
what station is TSN radio?
MrClutch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClutch View Post
what station is TSN radio?
1050 AM
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)
@ www.raptorman.ca

RF Affiliate

 
Raptorman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,120
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Raptorman
Default

Berger always tried to start up sh!t and controversies. He would sit through practices and if a player looked the wrong way at another, he would spin it into news.

And I find myself listening to 1050 more and more. Since the Fan hired the two loud mouth morning and afternoon guys, it's like Stern/Babbabooey all day long. No reporting, just rants and jabs.
Raptorman is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post
Since the Fan hired the two loud mouth morning and afternoon guys, it's like Stern/Babbabooey all day long. No reporting, just rants and jabs.
I agree, apart from the stern comment, Stern's funny. TSN has a lot of american guys on there who seem more divers and intelligent on various sports and aren't a cartoon character and aren't cheerleaders for ONE sport.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:16 AM   #10 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,899
Representing:
Default

yeah TSN radio is prety good, their morning show is better than the FAN
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #11 (permalink)
raptor jesus

Senior Member
 
Don Vito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,917
Representing:
Default

howard berger is a joke, good riddance.
Don Vito is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:00 PM   #12 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,916
Representing:
Default

I am a huge fan of Grange - possibly the most intelligent basketball writer in Canada.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,659
Representing:
Default

Smells like the death of newspapers more than more basketball talk. Grange has not been solely a voice of basketball at all. He'll likely be talking hockey as much as anyone else.

TSN talks basketball in the afternoon, because it is a feed from ESPN radio for most of it. It's good, but it's not comparable to the FAN in that respect - in that they are not making a conscious choice of programming specifically around basketball talk, but rather allowing the programmers at ESPN to do so while paying for their feed.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:10 PM   #14 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
I am a huge fan of Grange - possibly the most intelligent basketball writer in Canada.
Maybe so, but listening to him is at times painful.....but still better then Berger.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Smells like the death of newspapers more than more basketball talk. Grange has not been solely a voice of basketball at all. He'll likely be talking hockey as much as anyone else.

TSN talks basketball in the afternoon, because it is a feed from ESPN radio for most of it. It's good, but it's not comparable to the FAN in that respect - in that they are not making a conscious choice of programming specifically around basketball talk, but rather allowing the programmers at ESPN to do so while paying for their feed.
Well TSN knows that most Canadian "sports guys" don't know that much about sports outside of hockey, ala the Fan knuckleheads. And ultimately i could care less about where or why there's more basketball talk on TSN.....point is there is which is all i've wanted, balance.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
LX
with pink peppercorns

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,659
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Well TSN knows that most Canadian "sports guys" don't know that much about sports outside of hockey, ala the Fan knuckleheads. And ultimately i could care less about where or why there's more basketball talk on TSN.....point is there is which is all i've wanted, balance.
yeah - I don't have a problem with it - I was just making the point that it was imported content for convenience more than any choice made to serve diverse interests. It likely has more to do with knowing they can't match the overall quality and meeting budgets. It's also their least valuable timeslot, so there probably just isn't that much thought put into it at all.

I'm quite happy hearing Dan Patrick and Dan Lebatard myself. And it happens to be a time I'm more apt to be listening to AM radio, so it works out well for me.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
blah!

nosce te ipsum


 
fancylad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: east side.
Posts: 14,625
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptorman View Post

And I find myself listening to 1050 more and more. Since the Fan hired the two loud mouth morning and afternoon guys, it's like Stern/Babbabooey all day long. No reporting, just rants and jabs.
I actaully really like the FAN morning shows now. Whenever i catch them they are always talking about stuff i want to hear about. Cup finals, NBA finals, jays, even toronto fc here and there. Brady and Lang work great together and actually have intelligent opinions about the many topics they discuss. They're basically a much better landry and stellick because they aren't all puck all the time.

What i find most interesting though is that i actually like Lang now. Really couldn't stand him while on TV, but this gig on the FAN just suits him way better. It gives him a chance to show his personality more - let's say in a more appropriate setting.

Mornings and the Jeff Blair show are two GREAT additions to the FAN.
fancylad is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:59 PM   #18 (permalink)
------------------------

Senior Member
 
XiaominWu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,399
Representing:
Default

just come out and say it fancy.... his crazy-eyes creep you out.
XiaominWu is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #19 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fancylad View Post
I actaully really like the FAN morning shows now. Whenever i catch them they are always talking about stuff i want to hear about. Cup finals, NBA finals, jays, even toronto fc here and there. Brady and Lang work great together and actually have intelligent opinions about the many topics they discuss. They're basically a much better landry and stellick because they aren't all puck all the time.

What i find most interesting though is that i actually like Lang now. Really couldn't stand him while on TV, but this gig on the FAN just suits him way better. It gives him a chance to show his personality more - let's say in a more appropriate setting.

Mornings and the Jeff Blair show are two GREAT additions to the FAN.

Jeff Blair i like. But Jim Lang is unlistenable for me, but maybe it's because he's with Brady who's got to be the most annoying guy on the radio after Andrew Krystal. Brady always talks over Lang and goes on and on about unrelated crap, often going on and on about TV references and other shit and they're mostly all puck. Brady is one of the blockheads on that station that is talking to an NFL guest and has to reference hockey. He's awful imo. The only times i can even come close to listening that station is 9a-12p & 4p-7p.

Last edited by jeffb; 06-02-2011 at 08:04 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #20 (permalink)
is in the cut

Senior Member
 
Stonezz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 8,899
Representing:
Default

The Jeff Blair show was most def a good addition to the FAN
Stonezz is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24