In game experience at the ACC
Old 11-22-2009, 08:53 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
In game experience at the ACC

For whoever has gone the the ACC to watch a Raptors game, what would you rate the atmosphere + in game experience on a scale from 1-5? One being the worst of course.

And what would you do to improve it if you could? What changes, if any...would you like to see.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
representing U of T.

Junior Member
 
Troublesome96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 48
Representing:
Default

I'd give it a 3. I feel like there are a lot of Raptors fans that don't really have all that much experience watching basketball or watching a team win in basketball. We're only 15 years old so that's understandable, but sometimes i just feel like many fans are too quiet at really key and exciting times. We're certainly not the worst fans in basketball, we're actually pretty good considering our team's history, or lack thereof. But if we ever were to make it past the first round of the playoffs, the ACC would be a fucking shitshow. (In a good way)
Troublesome96 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
... the last tank got us Bargs

Member
 
emarshall2827's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Burlington!
Posts: 374
Representing:
Default

I really think it depends on who they are playing and if the Raps show up that day. I've had fun times and dull times. The in-game extras they put on are the same as at Pistons games I've attended and what you see between commercials. I think it all comes down to what is happening on the hardwood.
emarshall2827 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
the shit

Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 126
Representing:
Default

Too many variables. Each game is different. Sundays tend to get louder than most though.
JuliusJames is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 699
Representing:
Default

I'd give my personal experience a 4.5 and the atmosphere a 3. I've been to several games and been lucky enough that the Raps won most of 'em. I'd say the atmosphere at the ACC is middle of the pack in terms of fan atmosphere. I can say this having been to several other cities to watch ball games (Phoenix, LA, Sacramento, Houston, Dallas, NYC, Detroit to name some). Raps fans are just not loud enough or excited enough on a consistent basis. They can be too quiet at key moments in close games regardless whether the team is winning or not.

At friday's game, when Miami was making a run at the Raps, the guys who run up and down the aisles were encouraging the fans to cheer the team on. Half the people around us just sat there all mute. When the game was close in the fourth quarter, me and my buddies were pretty much standing for the last 4-5 minutes yelling, trying to hype up the atmosphere. and a couple people behind us weren't too pleased with that. WTF! How you gonna hate on a bunch of fans trying to cheer on the Dinos in a close game! I will say this, when raps fans do decide to get into the game, they are among the best fans in the league. I've said it before, I think Raps fans need to get a little louder for the full stretch of the game.

...I am liking the improvements at the ACC.
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:03 PM   #6 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .40 Cal Flakes View Post
I'd give my personal experience a 4.5 and the atmosphere a 3. I've been to several games and been lucky enough that the Raps won most of 'em. I'd say the atmosphere at the ACC is middle of the pack in terms of fan atmosphere. I can say this having been to several other cities to watch ball games (Phoenix, LA, Sacramento, Houston, Dallas, NYC, Detroit to name some). Raps fans are just not loud enough or excited enough on a consistent basis. They can be too quiet at key moments in close games regardless whether the team is winning or not.

At friday's game, when Miami was making a run at the Raps, the guys who run up and down the aisles were encouraging the fans to cheer the team on. Half the people around us just sat there all mute. When the game was close in the fourth quarter, me and my buddies were pretty much standing for the last 4-5 minutes yelling, trying to hype up the atmosphere. and a couple people behind us weren't too pleased with that. WTF! How you gonna hate on a bunch of fans trying to cheer on the Dinos in a close game! I will say this, when raps fans do decide to get into the game, they are among the best fans in the league. I've said it before, I think Raps fans need to get a little louder for the full stretch of the game.

...I am liking the improvements at the ACC.

I have to agree about fan noise. That being said the noise is 100x better then at a leafs game. Overall though Toronto sports fans are for the most part subdued.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #7 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 699
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I have to agree about fan noise. That being said the noise is 100x better then at a leafs game. Overall though Toronto sports fans are for the most part subdued.
You know what, for the longest time, however stupid this may sound, I thought that the atmosphere at Raps games couldn't be helped cuz of the makeup of the fans. I thought that maybe Canadians or Torontonians are just too mild mannered to get all hype up and crazy. But then I went to a TFC game this past season and was absolutely blown away by the atmosphere. I had never experienced something like that in T Dot. The fan atmosphere was out of this world, cheering on the Reds for the entirety of the game. So now I know fans in T Dot have it in them to wild out! Raps fans please come out and support the team with more enthusiasm! If you can do it for the lowly Reds, surely you can do it for your beloved Dinos!
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:38 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rye
5 game win streaking

Senior Member
 
Rye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 701
Representing:
Default

Lower the ACC beer prices from 8.00$ to 2.00$ then we got a game.
Rye is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by .40 Cal Flakes View Post
You know what, for the longest time, however stupid this may sound, I thought that the atmosphere at Raps games couldn't be helped cuz of the makeup of the fans. I thought that maybe Canadians or Torontonians are just too mild mannered to get all hype up and crazy. But then I went to a TFC game this past season and was absolutely blown away by the atmosphere. I had never experienced something like that in T Dot. The fan atmosphere was out of this world, cheering on the Reds for the entirety of the game. So now I know fans in T Dot have it in them to wild out! Raps fans please come out and support the team with more enthusiasm! If you can do it for the lowly Reds, surely you can do it for your beloved Dinos!
Soccer fans are nuts though, and more then likely lit. You'de have to be, to be that excited over soccer.

Last edited by jeffb; 11-22-2009 at 11:04 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 699
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Soccer fans are nut though, and more then likely lit. You'de have to be, to be that excited over soccer.
Haha...wait, no...soccer is the beautiful game!
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:11 PM   #11 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 11,200
Representing:
Default

Went to both Magic games, neither being sold out was a real letdown and the atmosphere itself was a big letdown.

2.7/5. The fans only are loud in the 4th. Only the hardcores cheer throughout the game. Youre not cheering enough if your voice doesnt hurt a bit after the game. WAKE UP PEOPLE THIS ISNT A MORGUE.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #12 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
I would love to see the lighting dimmed on the crowd a little ala NY, LA and have it be more intimate. Damn it's so bright in that arena for a Raps game, it's like playing on the sun. lol
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 699
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriller92 View Post
Went to both Magic games, neither being sold out was a real letdown and the atmosphere itself was a big letdown.

2.7/5. The fans only are loud in the 4th. Only the hardcores cheer throughout the game. Youre not cheering enough if your voice doesnt hurt a bit after the game. WAKE UP PEOPLE THIS ISNT A MORGUE.
Haha. I need a vicks after every raps game! After the Miami game my voice was shot...had little left for today's game but somehow managed to make it worse. Don't know what I'm gonna do for the pacers game...
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:32 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nasty, right? I cocked that joint back and banged on him!

Lackey
 
Ammo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Mighty North Tundra
Posts: 3,648
Representing:
Regular season, unless you have a Vince, Kobe, LeBron type....3.5


Playoff game. 5


If you've never been to a playoff game.....GO! It's completely different.
Ammo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:42 AM   #15 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammo View Post
Regular season, unless you have a Vince, Kobe, LeBron type....3.5


Playoff game. 5


If you've never been to a playoff game.....GO! It's completely different.

I have vowed to go to a playoff game this season if/when we get there. I want to go to at least 5-6 games during the season as i always do, but i've never been to a playoff game.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:46 AM   #16 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,755
Representing:
Default

I was at Game 3 against Detroit in '02.

It was fantastic. The atmosphere was electrifying.

The Pistons dancers were also sitting about two rows over from me in the golds in their small dance outfits. It was kind of distracting.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 01:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,133
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
I was at Game 3 against Detroit in '02.

It was fantastic. The atmosphere was electrifying.

The Pistons dancers were also sitting about two rows over from me in the golds in their small dance outfits. It was kind of distracting.
A friend on mine said he was at the game in 01 vs Philly when VC hit for 50pts. He said it was the most exciting live event he's ever seen. He said it was just crazy. This coming from a puckhead. lol
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 02:17 AM   #18 (permalink)
pounding the rock!

Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 179
Representing:
Default

i went to the portland-toronto double OT games a couple years ago and that was probably one of the best experiences of my life. That was my first Raptors game, and i thought it was really good, id give it a 5. Today i attending the magic vs Raptors game and it seemed that the entertainment value of the whole experience went down alot, and i didnt enjoy the game as much, not becuase they lost but because i just wasnt as entertained, and i times i felt like i was just watching the game on tv. imo... too expensive
dpoc is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 03:47 AM   #19 (permalink)
happy

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Representing:
Default

The atmosphere is dependent on the teams we play and whether the team is in the game or not. Effort seems to be a key contributor to getting the fans riled up. The occasional flagrant foul also helps create a hostile atmosphere, but that rarely happens.

I want to ask a question which has been plaguing me since the beginning of the season; Has the NBA banned those plastic streamers or mini-stick shaped inflatable balloons that are used as distractions? I have been watching a lot of NBA games not just raptor games, and they are non-existent. I can think of a reason to not allow it, which would be to allow for higher scoring, i.e Dwight Howard (lol). Another reason might have nothing to do with the NBA, maybe they are going GREEN, they dont sell those products anymore.

If anyone has a response to this question it would really help me out, because waving ones hands just isn't as distracting as those fan favorite streamers (don't know the actual name).
AceTCK is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 02:48 AM   #20 (permalink)
everybody get off ur arses and vote CB4 to the All Star Game!

Str8 Shooter
 
.40 Cal Flakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Maple...by way of Rexdale
Posts: 699
Representing:
Default

Went to all three games during the raps recent homestand. Atmosphere at each game was imo as follows:

vs Miami 7/10

vs Orlando 6/10 (especially considering how big a game it was)

vs Pacers 5/10

Man, attendance was nowhere near capacity for today's game. The crowd was shit today, especially considering how well the Raps played and the pace of the game, particularly in the first half. 74 pts in the first half and you barely heard any "let's Go Raptor's" or "defense" chants! Fuccin shameful. Me and the homeboys were goin nuts man. The turkish contingent at the ACC definitely helped the atmosphere though-they were pretty enthusiastic and into the game.
.40 Cal Flakes is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Lack of experience in Raptors 15yr history jeffb Toronto Raptors 14 12-13-2009 01:13 AM
Amir Johnson hoping to add experience, energy to Toronto Raptors MattressHead Toronto Raptors 15 09-10-2009 09:13 PM
Background on Jay Triano (past experience) m5racer Toronto Raptors 12 12-03-2008 09:50 PM
Amaechi Isnít Enjoying His Olympic Experience Dr. J. Naismith NBA Talk 42 08-19-2008 08:14 PM
Bosh in Awe of the Whole Olympic Experience Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 58 08-19-2008 04:57 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24