Full Court Press Causing Us Problems?
Old 10-21-2008, 10:18 AM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 10,246
Representing:
Default Full Court Press Causing Us Problems?

Anyone else notice the amount of turnovers the Lakers caused with the full court press the other night? It was ridiculous, but highly effective for LA. Definitely something Sam better fix before the start of the season. :mad:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Smith
Here’s another one: It seems the word is out that applying pressure as soon as they touch the ball is the best way to get them off their games. It started with Moscow’s J.R. Holden started picking up Solomon full court and it continued the other night against the Lakers when Roko was being pestered all 94 feet pretty much ever possession.

And the way each of them dealt with the pressure, and knowing the way scouts talk and teams pay attention to things like that, I’m sure you’ll see the backups bothered every step of the way in a lot of games.

Neither has been really adept at handling that pressure yet; they better get used to it quickly.
Source - Click here
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
doing what I always do DNB 24/7 365

The C.E.O Of The DNB
 
Dino Blogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Just outside Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 565
Representing:
Send a message via AIM to Dino Blogger Send a message via MSN to Dino Blogger
Default

Teams do not use the press to any great level in the regular season and how often are we going to see Roko or Will in during times where teams would use it. I am thinking not that often. So sure it is something to work on but I do not think it is some key to how to beat the Raptors.

Only very deep teams can use the press for long stretches of time.
Dino Blogger is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,399
Representing:
Default

what I noticed was how we constantly doubled everybody who had the ball - what's the point of having two all star in the front court if we keep doubling bynum and gasol (especially gasol, who is such a skilled passer). I can understand doubling on Kobe, but not on Gasol. Both TV guys seemed to be quite confused by our strategy.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 01:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
what I noticed was how we constantly doubled everybody who had the ball - what's the point of having two all star in the front court if we keep doubling bynum and gasol (especially gasol, who is such a skilled passer). I can understand doubling on Kobe, but not on Gasol. Both TV guys seemed to be quite confused by our strategy.
Reason is, Sam still stuck on page 2 of "Defensive Schemes for Dummies, Vol. 1"
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

it's practice you fucks.

they don't care about the win, it's about going over scenario's and using them in a gmae situation to PRACTICE them.

Gosh.

Like honestly, you guys have minds lie 4 year old kids, just two weeks ago Sam was clear as a bell on this, he even said as much.

sheesh.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,944
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnoochieBoochie View Post
Reason is, Sam still stuck on page 2 of "Defensive Schemes for Dummies, Vol. 1"
Exactly.

Look, the Raptors under Mitchell have historically been one of the dumbest teams in the league, at both ends of the floor. They reflect their coach, just like CSKA and Lakers reflect theirs.

Why are our bigs constantly flashing out near half-court line on high pick-and-rolls? Add that one to the list of "mysteries".
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,944
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Like honestly, you guys have minds lie 4 year old kids, just two weeks ago Sam was clear as a bell on this, he even said as much.
He's been clear as bell for 4 full seasons now. Clear and empty of any original thought.
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

again, mike, practice. Sam knows they didn't get out at all last year, so in preseason he is demanding they exaggerate the support on the screen and roll. It's why you're seeing so many back doors on late rotations, because it's impossible to get back that quickly for the big. But he is expecting, and if you watch Bargnani, you'll see it, he's expecting them to make an effort to get back to the block anyhow. You won't see Oneal do it as he is a lazy ass 12 year vet, but its the effort and the commitment to making that stop up top that sam wants to see, and the hustle to get back into position. Come reg season, you'll see a less pronounced "flash" as you call it, and you'll see the bigs are able to both hamper that pick and roll, as well as get back enough not to give up an abundance of easy looks innside on the ball swings.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
He's been clear as bell for 4 full seasons now. Clear and empty of any original thought.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
again, mike, practice. Sam knows they didn't get out at all last year, so in preseason he is demanding they exaggerate the support on the screen and roll. It's why you're seeing so many back doors on late rotations, because it's impossible to get back that quickly for the big. But he is expecting, and if you watch Bargnani, you'll see it, he's expecting them to make an effort to get back to the block anyhow. You won't see Oneal do it as he is a lazy ass 12 year vet, but its the effort and the commitment to making that stop up top that sam wants to see, and the hustle to get back into position. Come reg season, you'll see a less pronounced "flash" as you call it, and you'll see the bigs are able to both hamper that pick and roll, as well as get back enough not to give up an abundance of easy looks innside on the ball swings.
How could you possibly KNOW any of that, you have not been in the room or know what he is saying.
Benzo is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
I believe in Masai!

giant steps

 
'trane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,596
Representing:
Default

zing!
'trane is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:43 PM   #12 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
again, mike, practice. Sam knows they didn't get out at all last year, so in preseason he is demanding they exaggerate the support on the screen and roll. It's why you're seeing so many back doors on late rotations, because it's impossible to get back that quickly for the big. But he is expecting, and if you watch Bargnani, you'll see it, he's expecting them to make an effort to get back to the block anyhow. You won't see Oneal do it as he is a lazy ass 12 year vet, but its the effort and the commitment to making that stop up top that sam wants to see, and the hustle to get back into position. Come reg season, you'll see a less pronounced "flash" as you call it, and you'll see the bigs are able to both hamper that pick and roll, as well as get back enough not to give up an abundance of easy looks innside on the ball swings.
I would love to agree with that assesment, but having watched Smitches teams for the last few years, I fully expect this to be a heavily relied upon defensive play this year.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:51 PM   #13 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

Blow me Benzo.

A HS pine rider could have written what I just wrote.

If you can't understand it, I guess I could get a 9 year old girl in here to break it down.... I mean honestly, I dunno who could make it more simple, it's about as simple as it gets hombre!
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:52 PM   #14 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
Blow me Benzo.

A HS pine rider could have written what I just wrote.

If you can't understand it, I guess I could get a 9 year old girl in here to break it down.... I mean honestly, I dunno who could make it more simple, it's about as simple as it gets hombre!
Just saying, you can't have it both ways man, you can't blast people on one hand for making assuptions, and then turn around and make them yourself.

Benzo is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,978
Representing:
Default

Showing on the pick and roll and being able to stop the ball in early offense is going to mean everything in terms of improvement. You take away how they got burned in transition last season, and they had a pretty decent defense. It can become a dominant defense in stretches if they can show hard and take away the early offense, and then really make use of JO and stop guys like Jamario and AP from helping inside too much and leaving the perimeter guys open.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:00 PM   #16 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,978
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
Just saying, you can't have it both ways man, you can't blast people on one hand for making assuptions, and then turn around and make them yourself.

How is SJ making assumptions when he is looking at Sam's clear as a bell statements on this?
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:04 PM   #17 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,289
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Sam knows they didn't get out at all last year, so in preseason he is demanding they exaggerate the support on the screen and roll.
ASSUMPTION

Quote:
But he is expecting, and if you watch Bargnani, you'll see it, he's expecting them to make an effort to get back to the block anyhow
ASSUMPTION

Quote:
but its the effort and the commitment to making that stop up top that sam wants to see
ASSUMPTION


...truth be told, I have no problem with assumptions..I make em all the time, its what we do here....but I was blasted for making some the other day by the same guy who just made them. So while I appriciate, your input in the matter,I hope this clarifies things for you, and you no longer feel the need to justify SJ's hypocrasy on the matter.
Benzo is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #18 (permalink)
is back baby

Large and in charge
 
Snooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: All up in there
Posts: 8,160
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzo View Post
ASSUMPTION


ASSUMPTION


ASSUMPTION


...truth be told, I have no problem with assumptions..I make em all the time, its what we do here....but I was blasted for making some the other day by the same guy who just made them. So while I appriciate, your input in the matter,I hope this clarifies things for you, and you no longer feel the need to justify SJ's hypocrasy on the matter.

Touche.......

Defense last year was pretty darn good, just couldnt secure the rebound after 20 seconds of it.

JO was supossed to address that need.
Snooch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,978
Representing:
Default

I'm justifying SJ's hypocrisy? Whatever. If he's making assumptions, he's basing them on something. I have no idea what he complained about the other day, so I'll leave the two of you to your catfight.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 04:42 PM   #20 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,944
Representing:
Default

SJ, I understand what you are saying in terms of them practicing certain things, but if they get burned time and time again because the big is late rotating practically across half-a-court, maybe it's time to stop practicing something that's clearly not working?
MikeToronto is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Registration problems lang News & Announcements 1 02-13-2009 12:03 AM
No more rebounding problems? TORaptor4Ever Toronto Raptors 31 01-30-2009 08:50 AM
Bench Problems DVS Toronto Raptors 5 11-19-2008 11:13 PM
Zach Randolph causing problems? jeffb NBA Talk 0 06-14-2008 03:08 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24