The frightening part about Colangelo this summer...
Old 11-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default The frightening part about Colangelo this summer...

... Is that he originally made the Hedo move this summer planning to renounce all our free agents and the MLE. The mega S&T deal and subsequent Bellinellii and Johnson deals fell in his lap after the decision. He admitted that in the week between Hedo agreeing to sign and actually doing it, a associate (mr. Fruitman) came up with the deal and he worked it out with Cuban

Imagine this team if we had to sign Hedo straight up...

Jose Calderon - Marcus Banks
Demar - Roko Ukic
Hedo Turkoglu - Demar Derozan? or Joey signs cheap
Chris Bosh - Reggie Evans - Kris Humphries
Andrea Bargnani - Jake Voshkul

Basically last year's team with Hedo in JO/Marion's place and Parker, Moon, Graham gone without replacements.

What is the record of the above team? We'd still have the worst defense of all time, with complete balls off the bench and thus our starters expending far too much energy to compete late in games and we have league worst conditioning. Our schedule has sucked so far, so... 2-14? 3-13?

Does it scare anyone else that our GM could get things so wrong two summers in a row, even repeating the same mistake (getting an old big splash player at the cost of depth). I mean it's all in hindsight because his moves after getting Hedo were quite brilliant even if we still suck, but I'm beginning to doubt Colangelo here, if we had gone into this season with the above roster it would've been the a MONSTER epic fail, even worse than last year's. Basically the only reason we're bad instead of mindblowingly embarrasing right now is Marc Cuban, Otis Smith, Chris Wallace and luck

Last edited by The MVP of West Hollywood; 11-26-2009 at 12:47 PM.
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
Bmats7
is pounding the rock! (Edit)

Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Representing:
Default

UGHHHHH. Reading that post makes me realize how thankful I am that Jake Voskuhl is not on this team anymore. For those who were here last year, they know HOW MUCH i hate him as a player.

I agree with everything else in this post, except I would like to see a little floor time for Marcus Banks... he can defend the ball well.
  Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,948
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood View Post

Does it scare anyone else that our GM could get things so wrong two summers in a row, even repeating the same mistake (getting an old big splash player at the cost of depth).
Something more would have been done some other way. The fact is BC knew what he wanted to do, and who he wanted. Notice, once the Hedo deal was done, within basically 10days-2 weeks the roster was set. You make it sound like BC doesn't have a clue, which is absurd. The fact is BC had to add toughness and depth to have any shot at keeping Bosh at all. Do you think that it would have been Turkoglu and Evans and that's it?? Seriously??

C'mon?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,729
Representing:
Default

Just out of curiosity, when is BC's contract up?
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,948
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Just out of curiosity, when is BC's contract up?
After this season if i'm not mistaken (4th year). I really hope he signs another 4-5yr deal. Stability is needed here long term and we wouldn't be able to get anyone anywhere near as good.

And so if his current deal is a 5yr deal then it would run out at the end of next season.

I'll look it up.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)
mooing

Senior Member
 
babyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,102
Representing:
Default

I hope BC leaves. Then you'll all regret it.
babyface is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

to be honest, that leaves the same starting line up.

eithewr way

this team is no good.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:17 PM   #8 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface View Post
I hope BC leaves. Then you'll all regret it.
Dude you probably slag this team more than anyone on this board, make up your mind.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,903
Representing:
Default

ya im sure BC was just playing it all by chance. That huge S&T fell in his lap. Hahahaha, comeone the guy had to work his ass off for the trade, and it shows just how well he can make magic happen. I think your really clueless thinking that if he thought that just singing Hedo and having a team of like 10 players was going to cut it then you really need to check whats going on in your head.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
mooing

Senior Member
 
babyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,102
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus View Post
Dude you probably slag this team more than anyone on this board, make up your mind.
I only slag Jose
babyface is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
the only guy who thinks Terrence Ross will be an all-star

Senior Member
 
The MVP of West Hollywood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,129
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Something more would have been done some other way. The fact is BC knew what he wanted to do, and who he wanted. Notice, once the Hedo deal was done, within basically 10days-2 weeks the roster was set. You make it sound like BC doesn't have a clue, which is absurd. The fact is BC had to add toughness and depth to have any shot at keeping Bosh at all. Do you think that it would have been Turkoglu and Evans and that's it?? Seriously??

C'mon?
We would've had zero capspace to add anyone and no assets outside of our starting lineup. We'd be squeezed into a corner like last season

I could see him potentially moving Humphries for something, but let's be honest, at best Hump gives us another scrub on the wing
The MVP of West Hollywood is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
ya im sure BC was just playing it all by chance. That huge S&T fell in his lap. Hahahaha, comeone the guy had to work his ass off for the trade, and it shows just how well he can make magic happen. I think your really clueless thinking that if he thought that just singing Hedo and having a team of like 10 players was going to cut it then you really need to check whats going on in your head.
It kinda did fall into his lap actually. BC was planning on signing Hedo straight up until one of the geeky numbers guys that worked for him had an epiphany and worked out the massive S&T.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,948
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood View Post
We would've had zero capspace to add anyone and no assets outside of our starting lineup. We'd be squeezed into a corner like last season

I could see him potentially moving Humphries for something, but let's be honest, at best Hump gives us another scrub on the wing
You really think he would have risked Bosh's future here by only having 10 players signed with Turkoglu and a worse bench then last summer. He would have got things done one way or another.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:26 PM   #14 (permalink)
mooing

Senior Member
 
babyface's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,102
Representing:
Default

Also, I'm realistic. Getting rid of BC won't solve anything unless we magically replace him with some godly GM. So who will replace BC then?
babyface is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 74,948
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by babyface View Post
Also, I'm realistic. Getting rid of BC won't solve anything unless we magically replace him with some godly GM. So who will replace BC then?

Nobody good. The fact is BC is one of the better GM's in the league, period. So if he's a top 5-7 GM in the league.........can we get another top 5 GM? Good luck with that. Not only that if BC leaves i can see MLSE cheaping out on another Babcock clone and we'd be back to where we were 5yrs ago.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #16 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,543
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
ya im sure BC was just playing it all by chance. That huge S&T fell in his lap. Hahahaha, comeone the guy had to work his ass off for the trade, and it shows just how well he can make magic happen. I think your really clueless thinking that if he thought that just singing Hedo and having a team of like 10 players was going to cut it then you really need to check whats going on in your head.
yeah, colangelo was around basketball management ever since he was born, but he doesn't know about S&T It took an accountant to suggest that. There's nothing in this that would make a rational person question it - it sounds very realistic.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:16 PM   #17 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,022
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Nobody good. The fact is BC is one of the better GM's in the league, period. So if he's a top 5-7 GM in the league.........can we get another top 5 GM? Good luck with that. Not only that if BC leaves i can see MLSE cheaping out on another Babcock clone and we'd be back to where we were 5yrs ago.
Hopefully Raptor fans don't tolerate mediocrity and stop coming to games. This should wake up MLSE when they losing on the bottom line.

That makes me agree I really do wish BC gets an extention this summer but we shall see. If they don't make the playoffs it would be difficult
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:20 PM   #18 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

i could do the piss poor job colangelo does and the raps would save 5-6 million a year which they could use when i take them into the luxury tax with more crippling contracts
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:22 PM   #19 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,022
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
i could do the piss poor job colangelo does and the raps would save 5-6 million a year which they could use when i take them into the luxury tax with more crippling contracts
ummm thats great but I really think you underestimate what it takes to be a GM. Hindsight decisions are always easy to make
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
ummm thats great but I really think you underestimate what it takes to be a GM. Hindsight decisions are always easy to make
the only hard part is dealing with the media
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RaptorsHQ at Media Day Part I - Jack, DeRozan, and Colangelo Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 0 09-29-2009 02:49 PM
Chisholm: Colangelo and his summer of change jeffb Toronto Raptors 3 08-20-2009 04:27 PM
Heels on Hardwood: Bryan Colangelo’s iPod Playlist – Summer 2009 Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 13 08-03-2009 03:59 PM
Source: Colangelo May Look to Trade Bosh This Summer Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 74 04-22-2009 02:19 PM
Colangelo on the Fan 590: 23 Million to spend this summer.. jeffb Toronto Raptors 54 02-22-2009 09:55 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24