FoxSports.com's Top 10 NBA PG's - Page 3
Old 09-13-2008, 01:15 PM   #41 (permalink)
is.....

Tai-Pan
 
m5racer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 2,896
Representing:
Default

jason kidd is washed out and old. I think Calderon is at least top 5. His play/stats were amazing last year and he wasent even the starting pg for a good part of the time.
m5racer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:22 PM   #42 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 814
Representing:
Default

Tony Parker is a good PG, that France don't win although Tony gets 30 points it's not his fault.
rapsfan087 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 01:35 PM   #43 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by m5racer View Post
jason kidd is washed out and old. I think Calderon is at least top 5. His play/stats were amazing last year and he wasent even the starting pg for a good part of the time.
I have to agree and the trade that the Mavs made to get him was very bad considering they gave up Devin Harris
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 03:14 PM   #44 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 4,312
Representing:
Default

Seriously, get off the homerism pick guys.... Calde has had 2 amazing MONTHS since joining the NBA, months, not years, not playoff series, MONTHS, TWO.... you put him in the top 5 for that? lol
Ugo Ferst is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #45 (permalink)
is on that grind

Senior Member
 
jumplvlan23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,053
Representing:
Default

It's hard to tell with Chris Paul and Deron Williams right now.
They are two TOTALLY different players that happen to play the same position.

Deron Williams is a MUCH MORE CONTROLLED player. He plays extremely well in a set offense like the one he is accustomed to in Utah and in his college days. When you play in a half-court offense, speed isn't much of a factor as the ability to back down your opponent, hit an open J, or drive into the paint with multiple defenders.

Chris Paul on the other hand, is a much more entertaining point guard simply because he plays in a free-flowing offense. The Hornets offense is similar to that of Phoenix, where the point guards run the show and don't really rely on half court sets. Those alley-oop passes Paul throws to Chandler 123089123 times a game would be UNHEARD OF in a Jerry Sloan controlled offense. Chris doesn't have to back his defender down or be able to nail the J with dead-eye accuracy because the Hornets offense is more up and down.

Fortunately, both PG's play in an environment which best suits their needs, which are much different. Let's switch both the PG and their teams, and you will get a much less effective Deron and Paul. Deron doesn't have the speed to play in the offense that Paul is accustomed to, and Paul doesn't have the strength or J to play in the offense Deron is accustomed to.

In the end, the debate of who is better Deron and Paul all comes down to the offensive system the coach wants to play in. If I were the Raptors, Suns, Warriors, Hawks, Magic, I would take Paul. If I were the Spurs, Celtics, Rockets, Detriot, I would take Deron.

But in the end, you can't go wrong with either one.
jumplvlan23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 10:30 PM   #46 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,228
Representing:
Default

Yea I know I'd love to have either one of them
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 01:07 AM   #47 (permalink)
We going to the 'ship!

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 10,865
Representing:
Default

Quote:

Deron Williams is a MUCH MORE CONTROLLED player. He plays extremely well in a set offense like the one he is accustomed to in Utah and in his college days. When you play in a half-court offense, speed isn't much of a factor as the ability to back down your opponent, hit an open J, or drive into the paint with multiple defenders.

Chris Paul on the other hand, is a much more entertaining point guard simply because he plays in a free-flowing offense. The Hornets offense is similar to that of Phoenix, where the point guards run the show and don't really rely on half court sets. Those alley-oop passes Paul throws to Chandler 123089123 times a game would be UNHEARD OF in a Jerry Sloan controlled offense. Chris doesn't have to back his defender down or be able to nail the J with dead-eye accuracy because the Hornets offense is more up and down.
The Hornets offence isnt more up and down, both team play strictly halfcourt even though both are at their best when theyre high energy and running and getting easy opportunities.

Paul is the most controlled player in the NBA. Hes always waiting for the D to make a mistake. The only difference in the 2 offences is the cutting off the ball in Utahs offence, besides that its all pick and rolls and isos for their PF's in the post.

The main difference between CP3 and Dwill is CP3 is always waiting and dribbling until the defence makes a decision on whether to lay off him to try and make him take a pullup, get up on him forcing the pg into the screen where CP3 would then have Dwest or Chandler for an easy option, or someone on the side helps on the pick and roll and Mo or Peja is open.

Dwill just seems to GO when theyre running the pick and roll and drives straight to the rim or pullup quickly whereas Paul takes his time and the play generally takes a lot longer to develop especially with teams that switch on the pick and roll where Paul will take it back out and dump it into West in the post for the mismatch.

Pauls the best, most under control PG in the NBA and he has all the tools and uses them to its upmost potential to become a top 5 player in the league. If he keeps improving his jumpshot who knows how much farther his game will go because its already unstoppable, especially in the offence they run which is beautifully suited to his game.

Byron Scott stopped running his usual offence to accomodate CP3 and make his team go and its paid dividends. I'll take CP3 over Dwill every day of the week.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:44 PM   #48 (permalink)
in Houstatlantavegas

Presidential
 
Thug's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 3,654
Representing:
Default

I'm just happy the Raptors have a top 10 PG a top 10 PF and a top 10 C (arguably)
Thug is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #49 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugo Ferst View Post
Seriously, get off the homerism pick guys.... Calde has had 2 amazing MONTHS since joining the NBA, months, not years, not playoff series, MONTHS, TWO.... you put him in the top 5 for that? lol
As a starter. He's been outstanding for about two years now. He played his way into a starters role last year. The fact that you can't see that, is pretty sad because it seems that most people, even outside of the Toronto Raptor fanbase, see what Calderon is and is capable of.
Claudius is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 06:52 PM   #50 (permalink)
is dead inside

you ain't bout that life
 
Gurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 21,228
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideHoops
7. Jose Calderon ---- Another rising star in current NBA, Calderon is capable of averging 18ppg and 9apg even with limit playing time.
Predicted Stats For Next Season: 18.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 9.3 apg
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98322
Click the link to see where other PG's are ranked
Gurk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:15 AM   #51 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

I don't know how crazy you have to be to believe that Jason Kidd is the third best point guard in the league. Okay so he fills up the stat sheet, but there's no way that Jason Kidd is doing more for his team than Deron, Baron, Chauncey, Jose, or even Tony Parker.

I do think that seven is a bit low for Jose. IMHO he's the fifth most effective point guard in the league after CP3, Deron, Nash, and Baron Davis respectively.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #52 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 23
Representing:
Default

Yeah I agree with zachus. Jose and Billups IMO rank fifth putting them before bibby, kidd rondo (he has somewhat bright future ahead of him so Im counting that in) and felton
RiceItUp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:05 PM   #53 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
As a starter. He's been outstanding for about two years now. He played his way into a starters role last year. The fact that you can't see that, is pretty sad because it seems that most people, even outside of the Toronto Raptor fanbase, see what Calderon is and is capable of.
i agree with what you're saying, but i disagree that jose should be listed as high as many think. if you're putting him ahead of top quality point guards who have shown that they can perform at a high level for both the duration of the season and their careers, you should at least have jose show you that he can do it for a full season as a starting guard.


given the choice, i doubt there's five point guards i'd rather have, but thats because players like billups and kidd are getting there in age

but

i don't doubt for a second that both would still be able to take it to him with ease.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:16 PM   #54 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachus22 View Post
I don't know how crazy you have to be to believe that Jason Kidd is the third best point guard in the league. Okay so he fills up the stat sheet, but there's no way that Jason Kidd is doing more for his team than Deron, Baron, Chauncey, Jose, or even Tony Parker.
kidd fills up the stat sheet? maybe because he's one of the best defending point guards, the best rebounding point guard, and easily one of the best passers and leaders in the league. 35 and 3/4 of himself and he's still one of the best.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:20 PM   #55 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
kidd fills up the stat sheet? maybe because he's one of the best defending point guards, the best rebounding point guard, and easily one of the best passers and leaders in the league. 35 and 3/4 of himself and he's still one of the best.
Which is why I said "he fills up the stat sheet"
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 04:28 PM   #56 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

if you believe thats why you said 'fills up the stat sheet', you probably know that you're talking out of your ass. otherwise i'd love to hear why jose and tony contribute more to their teams than kidd does.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 06:47 PM   #57 (permalink)
a Raptors fan

Free DeMar DeRozan

 
zachus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,833
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuggleBled View Post
if you believe thats why you said 'fills up the stat sheet', you probably know that you're talking out of your ass. otherwise i'd love to hear why jose and tony contribute more to their teams than kidd does.
lol, I don't even know what this stat sheet argument is about anymore. I'm not trying to discount what Jason Kidd does, I just don't think he's as effective as his across the board production might lead people to believe.

The biggest thing is that he simply can't score. Okay, so scoring isn't "supposed" to be a point guard's top priority, but a point guard that can't keep you honest is much easier to guard - e.g. "cover the passing lanes, and let JKidd shoot WAY before you let him get the ball to Dirk." Tony Parker has led the league in points in the paint for an entire season, and Jose is Steve Nash-esque in his shooting percentages. Who would YOU rather guard on defense?

JKidd has never been able to WIN. If he's the bag of potato chips you think he is, look at the teams he's been on, and not won with: Phoenix with Jamal Mashburn and Jim Jackson; Phoenix with Anfernee Hardaway; New jersey with Kenyon Martin, Richard Jefferson, and Keith Van Horn (I know he turned them around completely, but they didn't win); New jersey with Vince Carter and Richard Jefferson; and now Dallas.

Tony Parker consistently wins. Jose hasn't gotten the chance to lead a team yet, but he'll strut his stuff this year.
zachus is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 07:00 PM   #58 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

your history sucks

he was in dallas with mashburn and JJ (JJ tried sleeping with his girl and they broke that team up)

hardaway wasn't anything in pheonix, but he played with Dice and KJ. they were better than any Raptor team we've ever seen.

with jersey, they made it to the finals two years in a row

that's awesome that parker consistently wins, but playing beside tim duncan plays heavily in his favour. i'm not trying to take anything away from what parker can do, but he won a championship as a rookie who couldn't make a 10 foot shot or run an offense.

as for calderon

aside from his pretty percentages, he has nothing on kidd.
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #59 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,592
Representing:
Default

whatever.

you guys live in the past.

we'll see who's more valuabe this year.

Personally, I don't give a shit What kidd did 5 years ago, period. Bob Cousey was pretty effin good too.
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 08:26 PM   #60 (permalink)
censored

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 5,772
Representing:
Default

try being brass enough to contribute instead of criticizing w/o leaving an opinion, mr.scaredy pants
dfunkie1 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FoxSports.com Raptors preview Ammo Toronto Raptors 5 10-13-2009 11:51 PM
Foxsports: NBA's top 10 shooters jeffb Toronto Raptors 40 08-13-2009 12:41 PM
Foxsports: 10 most improved NBA teams this summer jeffb Toronto Raptors 43 08-05-2009 10:06 AM
Insidehoops.com's Top ten Center's in the NBA Gurk Toronto Raptors 25 09-16-2008 10:27 PM
NBA.com's Video Preview Raps Vs. Magic Benzo Toronto Raptors 1 04-18-2008 07:26 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24