Fixxxer's questions - Page 2
Old 06-10-2012, 08:53 PM   #21 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
That's just untrue. We worked out many players that year, as we do every year. Maybe you could make a case that he was focused too much on AB as his pick, but you can't say BC has ever not done his draft research thoroughly. In every year it's no coincidence that he's usually pegged 3 or 4 prospects as in the mix at our picks.
You sure you are remembering things correctly? BC was so high on Bargs that year he sent almost all his staff to watch Bargs in Italy.
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #22 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojiphre View Post
You sure you are remembering things correctly? BC was so high on Bargs that year he sent almost all his staff to watch Bargs in Italy.
not for two months dude.... come on, nobody as in tune with the draft process as Colangelo is would have neglected to do their due diligence on the other prospects.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixxxer View Post
Like who?
chris kaman, michael sweetney
bosh was not the consensus #4, he only played 1 season in college so they didn't know what they were getting in terms of skills and he was skinny for a PF, kirk hinrich was also thought of as a very high player in the draft because he had a very good college career and was thought of as someone who was nba ready at the PG position which is rare especially when it was because he was nba ready to run a team and not just come in and play as a scoring PG, i'm pretty sure he was thought more highly than someone like Bosh but only fell below because teams ahead like the Raptors already had PGs (raptors had alvin williams) and big men were valued a lot more because at that time they ruled the nba (shaq, duncan, kg)

anyways, like i said it was VC who didn't like the pick because he had his preference in type of player
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #24 (permalink)
cool

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 819
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
not for two months dude.... come on, nobody as in tune with the draft process as Colangelo is would have neglected to do their due diligence on the other prospects.
WTF? Raps wanted Bargnani and nobody else, EVEN BEFORE the lottery. When we lucked into the first pick, we didn't change our mind and barely worked anyone else out. We kept the first pick so nobody could take him. and it was no surprise to others that we took Bargnani.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Gay was the consensus upside pick but was extramely raw and was viewed as a guy that could bust or be the longterm steal.
lol what? Gay wasn't extremely raw...he slipped because he had a terrible tourney (no thanks to marcus williams who was a walking turnover every possession)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Bargnani is slammed for being the number one selection but out of the lottery only 2 players are better picks than him right now. That's not terriible, it's actually pretty good.
If I were to pick between being at least a playoff caliber team to 4 years of boring Bosh-Bargs and complete suckage afterwards, I would've picked the former and selected Roy with bad knees. It is easy to say now, but I remember that BC was so in love with Bargs back in 06 that's why this point had to be made. And at least his injuries would not happen immediately with a pretty decent training staff in the Raps. Plus we already had Bosh, why would you pick Bargnani then if you were BC?

Last edited by neojiphre; 06-11-2012 at 12:40 AM.
neojiphre is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:51 AM   #25 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,599
Representing:
Default

Speaking of jerseys
black alternate uniforms are getting some love
100 Greatest jerseys in NBA History | Bleacher Report
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 01:26 PM   #26 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,336
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neojiphre View Post
WTF? Raps wanted Bargnani and nobody else, EVEN BEFORE the lottery. When we lucked into the first pick, we didn't change our mind and barely worked anyone else out. We kept the first pick so nobody could take him. and it was no surprise to others that we took Bargnani.
just because we had a favourite, doesn't mean we ignored the field.

Quote:
lol what? Gay wasn't extremely raw...he slipped because he had a terrible tourney (no thanks to marcus williams who was a walking turnover every possession)
he wasn't nba ready by any stretch, that's why Houston traded the pick, they needed help now and gay was perceived as far from being able to contribute.

Quote:
If I were to pick between being at least a playoff caliber team to 4 years of boring Bosh-Bargs and complete suckage afterwards, I would've picked the former and selected Roy with bad knees. It is easy to say now, but I remember that BC was so in love with Bargs back in 06 that's why this point had to be made. And at least his injuries would not happen immediately with a pretty decent training staff in the Raps. Plus we already had Bosh, why would you pick Bargnani then if you were BC?
well, you may be the only one, or in a very small minority. We made the playoffs 2 times in that stretch and Portland made he playoffs 3 times. We won 0 playoff series and they won just as many. And don't forget, we were much better than Portland in '07, so we wouldn't have gotten oden either. It would have been roy and bosh.

Now, the east was weaker those years and Bosh/Roy may have been enough to win us a series in '07 and '08. If you would trade the 2012 version of Bargnani for 2 playoff series wins in '07 and '08, you'd be very short sighted in my opinion.

It amazes me how many fans just don't care about building a winner here. It seems to me that perhaps the majority of fans would trade some limited success in the near future for a decent chance at building a SA or OKC. It's quite sad if you think about it.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #27 (permalink)
waiting for his team to return

Member
 
Grizz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 483
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
It amazes me how many fans just don't care about building a winner here. It seems to me that perhaps the majority of fans would trade some limited success in the near future for a decent chance at building a SA or OKC. It's quite sad if you think about it.
Off topic, but it is quite sad if you think we're going to have a OKC (Best young nucleus since... ever?) or SA (Best long term success since... the 60's?) type team sometime soon (ever?). I'd like to watch a playoff series win before I die personally.

AB was not a consensus #1, but he was in the argument with guys like LA, Gay, Tyrus. I think most teams would have taken AB or LA from what I recall. As Jackson pointed out, VC wanted the pick traded for more immediate help.

Bosh was slotted into our spot pretty early once it was determined Detroit loved Darko. I don't remember much anger at him over Wade.
Grizz is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24