Fire Triano - Page 3

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: What do we do with triano?
Fire Triano 36 39.56%
Dont Fire Triano 55 60.44%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2009, 12:26 PM   #41 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Hahhhhhh! 26 votes to fire 16 games in?

Six months ago i said he shouldn't be retained and i was attacked and told USA Basketball wanted him, so he must be great.. and other bullshit reasons.

This place is crazy at times and this is the perfect example. Does anyone relly think that BC is gonna fire Triano at any point this season after just hiring him. It would show absolutely no stability at all and would guarantee Bosh would be as good as gone in 8 months time. Toronto sports fans are known for being fickle, but this takes it to another level. I don't like Triano (too soft), but even i'm thinking it's way too early to even think about this topic.

Polls like this should be banned just after a shitty loss. Wait at least 24hrs?


Pathetic

Last edited by jeffb; 11-26-2009 at 12:30 PM.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:45 PM   #42 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,412
Representing:
The Raptors sucky performances have nothing to do with Triano..
he is a good coach, makes good subs

it all starts with Jose Emanuel Calderon... his defense is awful
when he gets beat, it screws up our whole defense.. we always got to pick up

and another thing, it's not like he is making the opposing teams point guard work on D. We need a athletic guard that could break down teams defense, and be able to play a little bit of D himself

get rid of Jose, he is the last of the babcock era

Triano is fine..
get any other coach and it will be the same result, the defense is bad
creative1mm is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:48 PM   #43 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by creative1mm View Post
The Raptors sucky performances have nothing to do with Triano..
he is a good coach, makes good subs
That's highly debatable to say the least. But still too early.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #44 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

If triano's gets fired i assume colangelo will step in and coach to clean up the mess he created similar to isiah in NY
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 01:57 PM   #45 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Hey at least the coach matches the team:

"Sub-Par coach with a Sub-Par Team."

After this weekend, we will be four games below .500.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #46 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,023
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
If triano's gets fired i assume colangelo will step in and coach to clean up the mess he created similar to isiah in NY
I'd pay good money to see BC on the bench.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:01 PM   #47 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,017
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
If triano's gets fired i assume colangelo will step in and coach to clean up the mess he created similar to isiah in NY
I think your wig is on too tight Granny!
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #48 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,665
Representing:
Default

I wasn't a fan either, I was hoping for a good coach. But so far, Triano has the best performance compared to the other two good names (jordan and flip) - and the other two teams were supposed to be better, and they had a much easier schedule too.

I can't say I like everything he does, but he's doing enough to show he's not a tool, so I'm willing to give him a season to find out (especially that changing a coach during a key season like this is not a good idea - almost certainly any new coach would need the full season to get the team to learn a new system).
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:09 PM   #49 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

Does anyone know how much triano is signed for? i'm pretty sure he got a three year deal but i have no idea what its worth.
the more he's paid, the less likely he's going anywhere even if they still are shitting the bed
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:12 PM   #50 (permalink)
wtf i dont rep that flag!

Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 76
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyFro View Post
Does anyone know how much triano is signed for? i'm pretty sure he got a three year deal but i have no idea what its worth.
the more he's paid, the less likely he's going anywhere even if they still are shitting the bed
the only reason triano is coaching the raps is b/c he is canadian.

he was coaching @ sfu, in B.C. and they were atrocious.

i dislike triano, just look @ the guy. the raps are down 20 and hes on his seat just chillin'
gochi is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:14 PM   #51 (permalink)
is too lazy to respond, you win

Senior Member

 
GrannyFro's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gochi View Post
the only reason triano is coaching the raps is b/c he is canadian.

he was coaching @ sfu, in B.C. and they were atrocious.

i dislike triano, just look @ the guy. the raps are down 20 and hes on his seat just chillin'
I think the reason he's coaching is because unlike sam, colangelo has triano on a leash
GrannyFro is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:20 PM   #52 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Today, indeed is a bad day for logical thinking.

Seriously, what if BC went to Bosh, asked for Bosh's opinion and HE said, y'know, I like Triano. Sign him.

What then? I'm honestly curious.

Or would we then blame BC for listening and trying to keep his best player (and FA) happy?

Some of you guys here, honestly, just react. Don't think. But react. It's hilarious and frightening to see because I wonder if this is how some people here react in their everday lives outside of sport.

The fact of the matter is, Toronto has had one of the hardest schedules in the NBA both traveling wise and I believe record wise. When he had Sam in BC's first full year we weren't .500 until like the end of December and then won 47 or whatever games it was. Why not judge the team at the end of the year? How many times have I seen the Spurs under Popovich play poorly? How about the Jazz under Sloan? Hell, look up Sloan's rookie year.

But no, all of a sudden, we've become experts. Listen, I know enough about the game through experience of playing it, but guys like Triano, English, Smitch etc. know about 1000x more than I do. Do I like their decisions all the time? No. But I ain't gonna say I'm smarter than any of them and right now, going through this thread, there's a bunch of people who think they're smarter than these coaches. It's absurd.
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:34 PM   #53 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,524
Representing:
Default

I would love to see BC coach
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 03:51 PM   #54 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
Today, indeed is a bad day for logical thinking.

Seriously, what if BC went to Bosh, asked for Bosh's opinion and HE said, y'know, I like Triano. Sign him.

What then? I'm honestly curious.

Or would we then blame BC for listening and trying to keep his best player (and FA) happy?

Some of you guys here, honestly, just react. Don't think. But react. It's hilarious and frightening to see because I wonder if this is how some people here react in their everday lives outside of sport.

The fact of the matter is, Toronto has had one of the hardest schedules in the NBA both traveling wise and I believe record wise. When he had Sam in BC's first full year we weren't .500 until like the end of December and then won 47 or whatever games it was. Why not judge the team at the end of the year? How many times have I seen the Spurs under Popovich play poorly? How about the Jazz under Sloan? Hell, look up Sloan's rookie year.

But no, all of a sudden, we've become experts. Listen, I know enough about the game through experience of playing it, but guys like Triano, English, Smitch etc. know about 1000x more than I do. Do I like their decisions all the time? No. But I ain't gonna say I'm smarter than any of them and right now, going through this thread, there's a bunch of people who think they're smarter than these coaches. It's absurd.
I see what you are saying. But you can't deny the fact that we are one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. The teams that you mentioned (spurs and utah) all play good defense. When you don't play defense or players show no effort on that side of the floor, you are going to lose to Memphis, Charlotte, Spurs without Duncan, Tony Parker. Until the team shows any sign of defense, expect more of the same games during the year. The hardest thing about the Raptors, with all the preaching about Defense from its coach and its best player (Bosh), there is no sign the players have listened to the message.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:02 PM   #55 (permalink)
contemplating

The Killing Joke

 
Claudius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Burkina Faso, Disputed Zone
Posts: 10,030
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to Claudius
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
I see what you are saying. But you can't deny the fact that we are one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA. The teams that you mentioned (spurs and utah) all play good defense. When you don't play defense or players show no effort on that side of the floor, you are going to lose to Memphis, Charlotte, Spurs without Duncan, Tony Parker. Until the team shows any sign of defense, expect more of the same games during the year. The hardest thing about the Raptors, with all the preaching about Defense from its coach and its best player (Bosh), there is no sign the players have listened to the message.
That's fine but defense more than anything is about two things: Trust and Chemistry and both are almost one and the same and both take time to develop.

And really, when you're incorporating 9 new players into the mix, no amount of coaching in the world will make you a good cohesive defensive unit. The reason why the Spurs do so well is that from year to year they add one to two pieces and that person assimilates into the group culture and attitude. However, for the most part, guys like Parker, Ginobili and Duncan and even Finley have played there for years now. The trust and chemistry amongst the key guys was set. All new personalities had to do was get used to it and trust 10 guys all at the same time.

Here, because we have so many faces, you have to first learn to trust everyone individually and then develop that chemistry.

The thing is, I've seen the moments of us playing good defense. We played terrific defense in the first half against Denver. Great defense against Cleveland. Did well this past Sunday against Orlando. There are brief glimpses here and there and those are the signs I'm holding on to because that's the team I see. Not what I see right now, but those flashes of when everything comes together we're not that bad in reality.

And if coaching is still a problem, you bring in an experienced lead assistant or advisor, like a Del Harris (not him, but like that).
Claudius is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:34 PM   #56 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
That's fine but defense more than anything is about two things: Trust and Chemistry and both are almost one and the same and both take time to develop.

And really, when you're incorporating 9 new players into the mix, no amount of coaching in the world will make you a good cohesive defensive unit. The reason why the Spurs do so well is that from year to year they add one to two pieces and that person assimilates into the group culture and attitude. However, for the most part, guys like Parker, Ginobili and Duncan and even Finley have played there for years now. The trust and chemistry amongst the key guys was set. All new personalities had to do was get used to it and trust 10 guys all at the same time.

Here, because we have so many faces, you have to first learn to trust everyone individually and then develop that chemistry.
How do you explain Boston Celtics. They become the defensive team in one year. They traded more than half their team for Garnett & Ray Allen. They basically kept Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, Scalbrine & Tony Allen from the year before. They hired a lead assistant who had the experience for defense. Thibodeau was a pupil of Jeff Van Gundy. Also, they had one player who held teammates accountable at the defensive end of the floor. I still can remember Garnett chewing out Big Baby at the bench and making him cry.

What do the Raptors do. The retain Triano and hire Iavorini with no defensive background pedigree. The players have no accountability on defense. They get burned on defense or miss a defensive assignment. No reaction from the players or coach. There has to be better leadership and more accountability amongst the players and coaching staff.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:40 PM   #57 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
How do you explain Boston Celtics. They become the defensive team in one year. They traded more than half their team for Garnett & Ray Allen. They basically kept Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, Scalbrine & Tony Allen from the year before. They hired a lead assistant who had the experience for defense. Thibodeau was a pupil of Jeff Van Gundy. Also, they had one player who held teammates accountable at the defensive end of the floor. I still can remember Garnett chewing out Big Baby at the bench and making him cry.

What do the Raptors do. The retain Triano and hire Iavorini with no defensive background pedigree. The players have no accountability on defense. They get burned on defense or miss a defensive assignment. No reaction from the players or coach. There has to be better leadership and more accountability amongst the players and coaching staff.
It's easy to explain the Celtics.

3 HOF players.

1 being one of the greatest PFs ever to play.... 1 being one of the grestest shooters ever to play... and one being a superstar swingman with an all-around game.

Add to that a phenomenal young player in Rondo (who might be the best defensive PG in the league) and a serviceable C in Perkins and how can you lose?

Is there even ONE player on the Raps right now outiside of Bosh who you would guarantee a spot for in the All-star game? Much less the HOF?
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:49 PM   #58 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
It's easy to explain the Celtics.

3 HOF players.

1 being one of the greatest PFs ever to play.... 1 being one of the grestest shooters ever to play... and one being a superstar swingman with an all-around game.

Add to that a phenomenal young player in Rondo (who might be the best defensive PG in the league) and a serviceable C in Perkins and how can you lose?
The Celtics took it to the next level because of their defense. It all happened in one year. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were never known as defensive stoppers, but Paul Pierce & Jerome Posey did a great job on Kobe in the Finals. All the players were commited on the defensive end of the floor. They had Thibodeau to set the defensive game plan, and they had Garnett to make all his teammates accountable on defense. The Celtics didn't win the championship based solely on their offense, its because they were the best defensive team in the NBA that year.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #59 (permalink)
DVS
in la la land

I'm stuck being a Rap Fan
 
DVS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Its jeffb's world we just post in it
Posts: 6,023
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
The Celtics took it to the next level because of their defense. It all happened in one year. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce were never known as defensive stoppers, but Paul Pierce & Jerome Posey did a great job on Kobe in the Finals. All the players were commited on the defensive end of the floor. They had Thibodeau to set the defensive game plan, and they had Garnett to make all his teammate accountable on defense. The Celtics didn't win the championship based solely on their offense, its because they were the best defensive team in the NBA that year.
KG and Rondo are problaby the best defensive players at their positions. Having such good Low post D with a PG to contain penetration is invaluable. THere is no way these two will go lazy on a screen at all. That being said it just makes life easier for others on the floor.

Pierce and Ray Ray aren't the best defensive players but are very responsible and turn it up when they have to.

To compare the Celtics to the Raptors is a farce and if you even put Rondo and KG on the Raptors you then would easily become a top 10 defensive team.
DVS is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 05:00 PM   #60 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS View Post
KG and Rondo are problaby the best defensive players at their positions. Having such good Low post D with a PG to contain penetration is invaluable. THere is no way these two will go lazy on a screen at all. That being said it just makes life easier for others on the floor.

Pierce and Ray Ray aren't the best defensive players but are very responsible and turn it up when they have to.

To compare the Celtics to the Raptors is a farce and if you even put Rondo and KG on the Raptors you then would easily become a top 10 defensive team.
I was using the Celtics example to dispell the excuse that the Raptors poor defense was because they have 9 new players. Good defense comes from:

-good coaching
-leadership/accountability
-personnel
-commitment from the players

Sadly, can you say the Raptors have any of the 4 characteristics. Which probably can explain why they have the worst defense in the NBA.

Last edited by RAPMAN; 11-26-2009 at 05:07 PM.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trade Bosh, Keep Bargs, Fire Triano nathanapes Toronto Raptors 126 12-03-2009 04:53 PM
FIRE SAM!!!!!! MetaLRasaM Toronto Raptors 26 03-03-2009 08:36 PM
FIRE SAM ALREADY! LX Toronto Raptors 24 12-08-2008 02:28 PM
Fire Jay Triano insight_tor Toronto Raptors 45 12-06-2008 05:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24