ESPN player rankings - Page 2
Old 09-24-2013, 07:31 PM   #21 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
In due time. My biggest point is that with a solid, well-balanced starting lineup in place, a bench without a major scoring threat can still have a good impact. When you have bench guys that are starting, and then guys coming off the bench needing to make up for inconsistent play,then you have a truly dismal situation. In due time we could see bench guys that support the starters become consistent enough to get us excited about how strong they are in their given roles, or even as guys that can fill in over a period of injury trouble without too much drop off. No, we aren't Brooklyn, but their bench is not organically going to get better in due time.
the problem with a weak bench is two-fold, you have to ride the starters harder during regular season, which makes you worse in the playoffs (not exactly a major problem for us lately, of course). Second, when injuries occur, are you comfortable with your backups? Would you be ok with augustin or ross starting for a month?
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:00 PM   #22 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
the problem with a weak bench is two-fold, you have to ride the starters harder during regular season, which makes you worse in the playoffs (not exactly a major problem for us lately, of course). Second, when injuries occur, are you comfortable with your backups? Would you be ok with augustin or ross starting for a month?
Augustin for a few weeks could work out. Any team losing their starting pg is going to feel it. It's a matter of slogging out as many wins as they can at that point. And there would be options beyond Ross.

It's not such a weak bench. It lacks some scoring, but considering they are looking to build a defensive foundation, that's not a huge problem. If they add to the toughness and defensive grit, then I would argue that would make them a better playoff team.

I'd rather that clarity be the utmost concern. Develop a solid identity based on a commitment to defense and assess who fits really well, who fits passably, and who needs to join the ranks of Bargnani. Then build from there. Looking for a scoring threat off the bench at this point would just threaten to convolute matters with the kind of smoke and mirrors that Colangelo wished for. The right kind of sixth man role takes time to develop, and requires a really good sense of what they will be complimenting. We just are not there yet. That's where they appear to be headed. First things first. That's good right?
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #23 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Steve Novak comes in at 251, dropping 80 points. The question might not be why he dropped that much, but rather why he ranked that high to start with. NY media? Watch Bargnani go up. This is based on predictions and they are going to feel compelled to predict something short of disaster.

Quote:
251
Steve Novak
Toronto Raptors
SF | Age: 30 | Stats
2012 rank: 176
@stevenovak16
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 08:33 PM   #24 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,792
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Steve Novak comes in at 251, dropping 80 points. The question might not be why he dropped that much, but rather why he ranked that high to start with. NY media? Watch Bargnani go up. This is based on predictions and they are going to feel compelled to predict something short of disaster.
Linsanity, I guess. He was like one of the musketeers to Lin's d'Artagnan. Where did Lin rank last year?
woodchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #25 (permalink)
is a free agent

Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,128
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by box1992 View Post
DD was younger and also wasnt known as a shooter. Ross came in the league with the notion of being a great shooter
DD came in the league as a slasher, which never really happened. He was able to put some nice moves together, but Ross in one season, put some nice moves that DD wasn't able to pull off since he went pro. This is not to say Ross is better or anything, just saying that players can develop in multiple ways. Now it's up to him to pull it off.
The only reason I think Ross won't do much this year is simply because of the situation. MU tries to make a playoff push and for the first 20-25 there is no room for error. Ross needs to learn to play through his mistakes and be an impact player even he can't shoot the 3s night in and night out. If we are going to a full rebuild mode I think Ross will benefit from it greatly, assuming he will still be with the team.
Tommy C is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2013, 10:42 PM   #26 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

If he defends and takes good shots he can play through mistakes all he likes no matter what mode the team ends up in. If he is simply allowed to play with no sense of direction and no accountability defensively, then that hardly helps him or the team. It didn't exactly help Demar.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:31 AM   #27 (permalink)
Follow @torraptorsforum on twitter

Senior Member

 
box92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 6,854
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy C View Post
DD came in the league as a slasher, which never really happened. He was able to put some nice moves together, but Ross in one season, put some nice moves that DD wasn't able to pull off since he went pro. This is not to say Ross is better or anything, just saying that players can develop in multiple ways. Now it's up to him to pull it off.
The only reason I think Ross won't do much this year is simply because of the situation. MU tries to make a playoff push and for the first 20-25 there is no room for error. Ross needs to learn to play through his mistakes and be an impact player even he can't shoot the 3s night in and night out. If we are going to a full rebuild mode I think Ross will benefit from it greatly, assuming he will still be with the team.
I think ross has the potential to be great, I think we underestimate him coming into this season because of how poor his rookie season was. Maybe that was due to BC saying how he is ready to make an impact right away. SL was also a disappointment. The dude is an amazing athlete and has such a fluid shot. He can also play defense when he wants. He just needs to put it together
box92 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #28 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by box1992 View Post
I think ross has the potential to be great, I think we underestimate him coming into this season because of how poor his rookie season was. Maybe that was due to BC saying how he is ready to make an impact right away. SL was also a disappointment. The dude is an amazing athlete and has such a fluid shot. He can also play defense when he wants. He just needs to put it together
TR was featured as a draft pick who was able to contribute right away. It wasn't just BC who said that.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Steve Novak comes in at 251, dropping 80 points. The question might not be why he dropped that much, but rather why he ranked that high to start with. NY media? Watch Bargnani go up. This is based on predictions and they are going to feel compelled to predict something short of disaster.
I think it's more of him being grossly overvalued last season because of a good stretch the previous season. Not sure how many voters are NY based, but there can't be THAT many.

still, you're right about Bargnani being a good test, he should be well outside top 100 based on last season's performance.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:23 PM   #30 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Augustin for a few weeks could work out. Any team losing their starting pg is going to feel it. It's a matter of slogging out as many wins as they can at that point. And there would be options beyond Ross.

It's not such a weak bench. It lacks some scoring, but considering they are looking to build a defensive foundation, that's not a huge problem. If they add to the toughness and defensive grit, then I would argue that would make them a better playoff team.

I'd rather that clarity be the utmost concern. Develop a solid identity based on a commitment to defense and assess who fits really well, who fits passably, and who needs to join the ranks of Bargnani. Then build from there. Looking for a scoring threat off the bench at this point would just threaten to convolute matters with the kind of smoke and mirrors that Colangelo wished for. The right kind of sixth man role takes time to develop, and requires a really good sense of what they will be complimenting. We just are not there yet. That's where they appear to be headed. First things first. That's good right?
I think it's a very weak bench actually. Both offensively and defensively, only fields is a player who can be called defensive minded. TH is an energy guy, but hardly an imposing defensive presence.

still, to me dealing with injuries will be a major issue. I have no faith in augustin, but hopefully buycks will be able to step in that backup role. If Ross and Fields play much better, it would be a huge help though.

as it stands now, the bench is a major concern. We have an average starting 5,strong and well balanced, but lacking an all star. We'll be lucky to have a top 40-50 player in the starting 5.

If the goal is to build a foundation, I would be ok. But I'm fairly certain the goal is to see if this team is good enough to build a foundation upon, which would require results right from the get go, not the promise of said results. If this team doesn't look like a playoff team by mid winter, I'd be shocked if it's not going to get broken apart by the deadline.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 01:24 PM   #31 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
still, you're right about Bargnani being a good test, he should be well outside top 100 based on last season's performance.
Just based on missing 84 games the last two seasons (one of which was a shortened season). Based on that alone, plus his shooting numbers he should be in the low 200's imo. Will he even be a starter in NY?
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #32 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,207
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I think it's a very weak bench actually. Both offensively and defensively, only fields is a player who can be called defensive minded. TH is an energy guy, but hardly an imposing defensive presence.

still, to me dealing with injuries will be a major issue. I have no faith in augustin, but hopefully buycks will be able to step in that backup role. If Ross and Fields play much better, it would be a huge help though.

as it stands now, the bench is a major concern. We have an average starting 5,strong and well balanced, but lacking an all star. We'll be lucky to have a top 40-50 player in the starting 5.

If the goal is to build a foundation, I would be ok. But I'm fairly certain the goal is to see if this team is good enough to build a foundation upon, which would require results right from the get go, not the promise of said results. If this team doesn't look like a playoff team by mid winter, I'd be shocked if it's not going to get broken apart by the deadline.
+1000000
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #33 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Landry drops 84 spots

Quote:
248
Landry Fields
Toronto Raptors
SF | Age: 25
2012 rank: #164
@landryfields
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

and DJ drops 80:

Quote:
227
D.J. Augustin
Toronto Raptors
PG | Age: 25 | Stats
2012 rank: #147
@Raptors
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #35 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

looks like ross will get a pretty big jump, unless I missed his rank
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #36 (permalink)
...

Senior Member

 
Ball Don't Lie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 12,161
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Justin Rowan @Cavsanada

Landry Fields is such a nice guy that you don't even feel bad paying him $6 million a year. #NBArank
This guys fanhood should be revoked. Uch.

Landry Fields still being that high just goes to show how he's still overrated based on his rookie season. He should be in the 350+ range.

Also Ross being ranked over Fournier is laughable. I know a lot of the ranks are laughable, but that stood out to me in the most recent player ranks 226-250.
Ball Don't Lie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 12:16 PM   #37 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ball Don't Lie View Post
This guys fanhood should be revoked. Uch.

Landry Fields still being that high just goes to show how he's still overrated based on his rookie season. He should be in the 350+ range.

Also Ross being ranked over Fournier is laughable. I know a lot of the ranks are laughable, but that stood out to me in the most recent player ranks 226-250.
Yeah their stats where somewhat similar but Fournier was a far better shooter.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #38 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Hansbrough bruh

Quote:
208
Tyler Hansbrough
Toronto Raptors
PF | Age: 27
2012 rank: 174
@THANS50
And tross

Quote:
203
Terrence Ross
Toronto Raptors
SG | Age: 22
2012 rank: 307
@T_DotFlight31


Last edited by LX; 09-26-2013 at 08:28 PM.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #39 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 10,417
Representing:
Default

and if I'm not mistaken, that's our bench. We don't have a single player in the top 200. We may or may not have a very weak bench, but the perception in the media is that our bench is extremely weak, hopefully we'll prove them wrong ...
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #40 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
and if I'm not mistaken, that's our bench. We don't have a single player in the top 200. We may or may not have a very weak bench, but the perception in the media is that our bench is extremely weak, hopefully we'll prove them wrong ...
It's a weak bench. Augustine, Buycks, Ross, Fields, Novak, Daye, Gray are all either limited or unproven. Pretty ugly!
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24