espn eastern conference rankings
Old 07-25-2013, 02:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,656
Representing:
Default espn eastern conference rankings

Quote:
11. Toronto Raptors (2012-13 finish: 10th)
After winning summer league MVP in Vegas, Jonas Valanciunas appears to be right on track to becoming one of the league's most promising young centers. The Raptors' season could hinge on his continued development. If he falters, they could shift into tank mode and look to deal Rudy Gay. If Valanciunas continues to blossom, a push for the playoffs could be in order.

Any way you slice it, this is a young team that's probably a little too talented for its own good, with the loaded 2014 draft class on the horizon.
it's on insider here:

NBA: Early look at the Eastern Conference - ESPN

their rankings:

1.miami
2.nets
3.chicago
4.indiana
5.ny
6.atlanta
7.wizards
8.cavs
9.bucks
10.detroit
11.toronto
12.orlando
13.boston
14.charlotte
15.philly

I'm almost in full agreement with their rankings, I would probably bump chicago to 2nd over the nest and swap the cavs with atlanta and orlando with charlotte.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,972
Representing:
Default

tis a joke. detroit, bucks, and wiz aren't better than us. only the wiz MAY come out on top. toronto will make the playoffs this season unless we have a very long term injury to one of our starting lineup pieces, or we blow it up. you can quote me on that
pzabby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,885
Representing:
Default

Early Predictions: 2013-2014 NBA Season Edition - Indy Cornrows
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,656
Representing:
Default

their argument is that when they had everybody healthy last season, they went 15-7. What is your argument for us being better than them, the additions of TH and DA?
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #5 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,656
Representing:
Default

plausible, but I think they have the nets and atlanta way to low. Atlanta is the same team basically with smith replaced by milsap and with williams back (but without zaza). Both Toronto and Atlanta are basically the same teams in fact and they won 10 more games last season, don't see any reasonable explanation why we should switch places this season ...
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummond so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 75,885
Representing:
Default

Miami
Indiana
Brooklyn
Chicago
New York
Atlanta
Cleveland (if bynum can't stay healthy they're fucked)
Toronto, Washington, Milwaukee, Detroit (healthiest team takes 8th)
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,982
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
their argument is that when they had everybody healthy last season, they went 15-7. What is your argument for us being better than them, the additions of TH and DA?
The subtractions of Bargnani,Lucas,Telfair,Pietrus,Kleiza,Anderson.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #8 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,230
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
it's on insider here:

NBA: Early look at the Eastern Conference - ESPN

their rankings:

1.miami
2.nets
3.chicago
4.indiana
5.ny
6.atlanta
7.wizards
8.cavs
9.bucks
10.detroit
11.toronto
12.orlando
13.boston
14.charlotte
15.philly

I'm almost in full agreement with their rankings, I would probably bump chicago to 2nd over the nest and swap the cavs with atlanta and orlando with charlotte.
As of right now, this is how I view things:

1-5:
Miami
Brooklyn
Indiana
Chicago (could move up as high as 2nd depending on Rose's comeback)
New York

6-12:

Who the fuck knows!? Any combination of the following teams:
Atlanta
Boston
Cleveland
Detroit
Milwaukee
Tororonto
Washington
(alphabetical order)

13-15:
Orlando
Charlotte
Philly
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:57 PM   #9 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Reasons why the Raptors will make the Playoffs:


Reason No.1-Bargnani is gone. Bargnani is not option No. 1 on offense, and his help defence and non-existent rebounding is not our problem.

Reason No.2- After a horrid start, the team finished 21-20 in its last 41 games.

Reason No. 3-Teams ahead of the Raps last year have dropped off by trading off their best players or they allowed their best players leave via free agency.
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #10 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
The subtractions of Bargnani,Lucas,Telfair,Pietrus,Kleiza,Anderson.
heh, if only the rankings were established on basis of popularity ...
and even then, I can't possibly see any connection between us trading Bargnani and atlanta losing a lot more games this upcoming season
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:02 PM   #11 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzabby View Post
tis a joke. detroit, bucks, and wiz aren't better than us. only the wiz MAY come out on top. toronto will make the playoffs this season unless we have a very long term injury to one of our starting lineup pieces, or we blow it up. you can quote me on that
Wizards > us

We're roughly equal with bucks and pistons, but I'm not banking on lowry having a healthy season (no sane person should), so we're probably going to be 10-12.

Last edited by KoolAid; 07-25-2013 at 04:13 PM.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 PM   #12 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAPMAN View Post
Reasons why the Raptors will make the Playoffs:


Reason No.1-Bargnani is gone. Bargnani is not option No. 1 on offense, and his help defence and non-existent rebounding is not our problem.

Reason No.2- After a horrid start, the team finished 21-20 in its last 41 games.

Reason No. 3-Teams ahead of the Raps last year have dropped off by trading off their best players or they allowed their best players leave via free agency.
#1 - Bargnani missed most of the season
#2 - the horrid start was because the schedule was horrible - we would have lost most of the games we lost anyway, at best there were 2 or 3 winnable games that we didn't win in that stretch.
#3 - if by teams ahead of the Raptors you mean boston, than sure. everybody else improved or stayed about the same. And some of teams behind us have improved massively.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,656
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
As of right now, this is how I view things:

1-5:
Miami
Brooklyn
Indiana
Chicago (could move up as high as 2nd depending on Rose's comeback)
New York

6-12:

Who the fuck knows!? Any combination of the following teams:
Atlanta
Boston
Cleveland
Detroit
Milwaukee
Tororonto
Washington
(alphabetical order)

13-15:
Orlando
Charlotte
Philly
I think you can safely move boston in the last group, even if they were interested in winning, they wouldn't have much chance. And they're most likely tanking.

Otherwise, I totally agree with the grouping, but if I was to rank that middle tier, I would have toronto, milwaukee and detroit last and the other teams ahead by about 3-5 wins.

Health would be especially crucial for us, because we have 0 depth. If we lose gay or lowry for extended periods, it will get really ugly.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #14 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

I had them 1 spot higher on my list. But I think we can all agree any 9-12 finish with this team would be a disaster right?


East
1.Miami
2.Chicago
3.Brooklyn
4.Indiana
5.New York
6.Washington
7.Cleveland
8.Atlanta
9.Detroit
10.Toronto
11.Milwaukee
12.Charlotte
13.Boston
14.Orlando
15.Philadelphia

West
1.San Antonio
2.Golden State
3.LA Clippers
4.OKC
5.Houston
6.Memphis
7.Denver
8.New Orleans
9.Minnesota
10.Portland
11.Dallas
12.LA Lakers
13.Sacramento
14.Utah
15.Phoenix

Last edited by KoolAid; 07-25-2013 at 04:29 PM.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:14 PM   #15 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,721
Representing:
Default

Yep, placing between 9th and 12th would be a disaster - and the most likely outcome is probably between 7th and 9th. Not a huge gap there...
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,230
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Miami
Indiana
Brooklyn
Chicago
New York
Atlanta
Cleveland (if bynum can't stay healthy they're fucked)
Toronto, Washington, Milwaukee, Detroit (healthiest team takes 8th)
Cleveland has several "ifs". Irving and Varejao are not the most durable players either. Bynum, Varejao, and Irving could all easily miss 15+ plus games. The Cavs have decent talent but it's very young, and I don't think their depth is good enough to get into the playoffs in that scenario.
Bill Haverchuck is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:18 PM   #17 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,681
Representing:
Default

If they play defense they will make the playoffs. Not having Bargnani, Calderon and Colangelo around increases the odds of gaining a full-fledged defensive identity by a wide margin. They get that identity and they will be able to slog through injuries and slumps. If they don't commit fully to gaining that identity, then they need to start swinging some deals in a hurry, and starting the tank.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #18 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,982
Representing:
Default

Teams that might be ranked well but could turn into disasters: Nets and Knicks.

Over-rated: Detroit, Atlanta

Under-rated: Orlando Boston

Raptors could finish 11th, but they also could finish 5th.
niggles is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:23 PM   #19 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Senior Member

 
DanH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Montreal, QC
Posts: 4,721
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
If they play defense they will make the playoffs. Not having Bargnani, Calderon and Colangelo around increases the odds of gaining a full-fledged defensive identity by a wide margin. They get that identity and they will be able to slog through injuries and slumps. If they don't commit fully to gaining that identity, then they need to start swinging some deals in a hurry, and starting the tank.
Agree with this - if Casey can't recreate AND improve on his defensive focus in his first season, bringing this team to a top 10 defense, then there is no future with these players, considering the offensive inefficiency of many of the major pieces. If he can, then there is some hope for the future, mostly in improvement from Val, DD, and maybe Ross.

With a full training camp and being able to run his own stuff, the first 20 or 30 games should be enough to see what this team is capable of. By the end of Dec, we should know whether this is worth trying. And hopefully, if it is not blowing us away, Ujiri can get some value from these pieces.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:28 PM   #20 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,624
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Teams that might be ranked well but could turn into disasters: Nets and Knicks.

Over-rated: Detroit, Atlanta

Under-rated: Orlando Boston

Raptors could finish 11th, but they also could finish 5th.
You could say that about probably 5-7 teams in the east.

And Atlanta is not overrated. They're getting back probably their 3rd best player in Lou, and replaced Josh Smith will Millsap who are probably equal in terms of production. The rest of the roster is basically the same. Detroit might be a tad overrated but I think if you can hope JV can put up 14/8 next year, 12/10 might be fair for Drummond.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24