ESPN: Draft fits for the Raptors - Page 2
Old 04-19-2012, 01:37 PM   #21 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,992
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Well, you're comparing a 25 year old to a 20 year old.... physically I think Barnes can get stronger, faster too. I wasn't comparing stats, and JJ scored in college too, but Barnes was better in college than JJ was. I like JJ and haven't been a fan of Barnes as some have, but Barnes still projects out better than JJ... maybe just more well rounded and not as able to make explosive plays, but likely with better BBIQ
I dunno. I guess I am always a bigger fan of something at least somewhat proven vs. something that has "the potential"...

Regardless, JJ's development is the biggest positive for me this year. That strange "incident" non-withstanding, I'd like him to be retained and continue his development - he absolutely has the potential to be a starter at SF for this team for a long time and he is much closer to being that man than Barnes, IMO. Beal makes a lot more sense because we lack shooters @ 2 and his strength should provide some defensive and driving help there as well.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM   #22 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
I dunno. I guess I am always a bigger fan of something at least somewhat proven vs. something that has "the potential"...

Regardless, JJ's development is the biggest positive for me this year. That strange "incident" non-withstanding, I'd like him to be retained and continue his development - he absolutely has the potential to be a starter at SF for this team for a long time and he is much closer to being that man than Barnes, IMO. Beal makes a lot more sense because we lack shooters @ 2 and his strength should provide some defensive and driving help there as well.
Agreed. Love Beal as a shooter for this team, and I've been on the JJ bus since we traded for him. Heck, wouldn't have been upset if we drafted him over DD either.

Barnes is hopefully our worst case draft.... hopefully, would still be a good get.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,663
Representing:
Default

I think if the opportunity comes, you definitely draft mkg, even if it's not a good fit
however, if derozan doesn't improve his shooting a lot, you either bring him off the bench, or you trade him for a better shooter - you can't have two wings with no range, it's suicide.

makes no difference though, unless we move up in the lottery or trade up before the draft, we're either drafting barnes or some kind of point guard. I think Barnes at 6th or 7th is not a terrible reach. Even if he's another marvin williams type of player, it's not like marvin is horrible. And he'll most likely be better than marvin.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #24 (permalink)
...

Senior Member
 
powerfulpanda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,487
Representing:
Default

if we fall in the 5-10 range i wouldn't mind us reaching for kendal marshall. with today's PGs, ya hes not gonna wow you or get any all star votes but hes the type when its all said and done he has a successful 15 year career. kinda like a derek fisher or mark jackson. and we saw how important he was to UNC when he went down with that injury.
powerfulpanda is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #25 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I think if the opportunity comes, you definitely draft mkg, even if it's not a good fit
Not a good fit with the roster as it stands now, but MKG seems to have a tenacity that a lot of the other players in the draft dont have (or haven't shown yet) which is why I would like him. Just not a good fit currently but the roster will definitely change. Same in the case of Beal - better fit right now but whose to say thats the case in 6 mos. I agree with carp though, Beal has the potential to truely be the steal of the draft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
makes no difference though, unless we move up in the lottery or trade up before the draft, we're either drafting barnes or some kind of point guard.
What makes you so sure? The pg's that might be availble are Marshall and Lillard and I would rather trade the pick before taking either. However if MKG and Beal are gone, I would definitely take Barnes.

Tough to say anything though - it's all guess - till the draft order is established. Then let the games begin.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
........

Senior Member
 
MrClutch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Parts Unknown
Posts: 2,381
Representing:
Default

If Jose is still our PG for next season, then drafting Beal would be a necessity since Jose would be able to spot him open for jumpers. Hopefully that would give Demar more room to operate as well
MrClutch is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #27 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerfulpanda View Post
if we fall in the 5-10 range i wouldn't mind us reaching for kendal marshall. with today's PGs, ya hes not gonna wow you or get any all star votes but hes the type when its all said and done he has a successful 15 year career. kinda like a derek fisher or mark jackson. and we saw how important he was to UNC when he went down with that injury.
Problem with Marshall though is his shot....or lack of it. If he could develop that it would make it easier for him in the NBA. He's definitely a facilitator and controls the offense but what a potential deficiency.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:03 PM   #28 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,663
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHoliday99 View Post


What makes you so sure? The pg's that might be availble are Marshall and Lillard and I would rather trade the pick before taking either. However if MKG and Beal are gone, I would definitely take Barnes.

Tough to say anything though - it's all guess - till the draft order is established. Then let the games begin.
I don't see us drafting a middling big prospect, given that we have a glut of PF/Cs ... The PGs are ranked in the low 10s, so we may trade down to get one of those if barnes is not available. All in all, there's a pretty big chance we trade up or down, especially if barnes is not available when we draft.
moremilk is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:10 PM   #29 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 76,008
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
I don't see us drafting a middling big prospect, given that we have a glut of PF/Cs ... The PGs are ranked in the low 10s, so we may trade down to get one of those if barnes is not available. All in all, there's a pretty big chance we trade up or down, especially if barnes is not available when we draft.
I sort of agree, i think though that say we get #8.....imo we'll trade up to top 5 or out but not down. Jack Armstrong the other day apparently said that if the Raptors can't get a top 5-6 pick they should trade out of the draft and do a trade like when we aquired AD in 99 which i pretty much agree with if a good deal can be made.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #30 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
I sort of agree, i think though that say we get #8.....imo we'll trade up to top 5 or out but not down. Jack Armstrong the other day apparently said that if the Raptors can't get a top 5-6 pick they should trade out of the draft and do a trade like when we aquired AD in 99 which i pretty much agree with if a good deal can be made.
Agreed... I think we'll have our eyes on three guys, MKG Beal Barnes, and if they're gone, we look for a big name wing like Iggy, Mayo or Tyreke.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #31 (permalink)
LOG
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
LOG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 9,195
Representing:
Default

The players I want from this draft are AD, BB, Lamb and Marshal. If we can land any of them i would be very happy
LOG is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #32 (permalink)
Raptors for life.

Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 127
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Agreed... I think we'll have our eyes on three guys, MKG Beal Barnes, and if they're gone, we look for a big name wing like Iggy, Mayo or Tyreke.
I'd be happy very happy with that, let's hope that's BC's thinking as well.
IGetAir is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:53 PM   #33 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

If raps draft MKG, keep him. Trade DD. DD can only be good if he's a starter and a top option on offense but he is just a scorer. Off the bench he would be horrible. Trade DD + JJ for a 11-13th pick and get Lamb. Lamb at SG and MKG at SF wouldn't be too bad.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:18 PM   #34 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Membres supérieurs
 
DocHoliday99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southern Alberta
Posts: 4,879
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
Agreed... I think we'll have our eyes on three guys, MKG Beal Barnes, and if they're gone, we look for a big name wing like Iggy, Mayo or Tyreke.
I like those 3 and if we fall out of the top 6 I agree with above, add the pick with a player and trade for someone of quality that way.

Personally I'd love to see MKG paired with Mayo; or Beal paired with Iggy - either solution though will push DD to the second unit or into a trade.
DocHoliday99 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 08:58 PM   #35 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 895
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! View Post
If raps draft MKG, keep him. Trade DD. DD can only be good if he's a starter and a top option on offense but he is just a scorer. Off the bench he would be horrible. Trade DD + JJ for a 11-13th pick and get Lamb. Lamb at SG and MKG at SF wouldn't be too bad.
Woah now

you admit that all DeMar is good for is scoring, but claim he wouldn't be good to come off the bench?

The ideal place in the rotation for players that only provide points is in a 6th/7th man role.
jrob23 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #36 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,494
Representing:
Default

What I don't understand is this seeming need to move DD if we brought in another SG and yet we've played all year with Bargnani, Ed Davis and Amir Johnson at PF with Kleiza and JJ also putting in time there. DD can play with another SG.... there are minutes in a long season.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #37 (permalink)
La Decima!!!!!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 7,223
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrob23 View Post
Woah now

you admit that all DeMar is good for is scoring, but claim he wouldn't be good to come off the bench?

The ideal place in the rotation for players that only provide points is in a 6th/7th man role.
Yes, and he's been handfed the starting SG position his whole tenure in Toronto. Also, the point of trading DD is to upgrade at another position if need be.
LET'S GO RAPTORS!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:24 PM   #38 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,992
Representing:
Default

Adding this link to the article on Raptors Republic - the author is echoing a lot of what I've been preaching this season:

Toronto Raptors Big Board 1.0 – The Top Ten Raptors Targets | Raptors Republic | ESPN TrueHoop's Toronto Raptors Blog
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,003
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeToronto View Post
Adding this link to the article on Raptors Republic - the author is echoing a lot of what I've been preaching this season:

Toronto Raptors Big Board 1.0 – The Top Ten Raptors Targets | Raptors Republic | ESPN TrueHoop's Toronto Raptors Blog
really good article. made a compelling case for each player.

i'm warming to the idea of trading down actually. unless we get a very high pick. Even with 2nd or 3rd pick, you're not assured a stud and the list of high potential players goes far down beyond the 10th pick maybe.

We could trade jose, DD or Ed (or more than 1 of them) plus our pick for a very good player and a 10th-15th pick. then take a risk on someone like perry jones. We could get 2 players who will improve us instead of just 1 from the draft. Yes, obv there is risk but there seems to be a fair amount of risk even with the high picks. Let other teams fall in love with a high pick and draft a player with downsides (attitude is mentioned for a couple of players,) casey can work with?
LKeet6 is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #40 (permalink)
a Raps fan

Senior Member
 
creative1mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 1,412
Representing:
Default

Draft Perry Jones..
creative1mm is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24