ESPN: 5 on 5 - Raptors most important player 2011-12
Old 12-17-2011, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
ESPN: 5 on 5 - Raptors most important player 2011-12

Quote:
. For which Raptors player is the 2011-12 season most important?


J.M. Poulard, Warriors World: Leandro Barbosa will be playing for a new contract and needs to show that he can score and also make good decisions with the ball. He is typically at the mercy of his point guard to find him in scoring position; but he needs to display the ability to create good shots for himself in order to boost his value.

Zarar Siddiqi, Raptors Republic: Andrea Bargnani. If new coach Dwane Casey can't get him to play defense, then his run in Toronto just might be over, especially with Jonas Valanciunas waiting in the wings. In previous seasons he's been getting guaranteed minutes, but that may change with hungrier guys like Ed Davis and Amir Johnson right behind him.

Robert Silverman, KnickerBlogger: DeMar DeRozan. DeRozan has certain skills that can't be taught or developed but there are still major kinks in his game -- he's a black hole once he gets the ball in his hands and a sieve when the man he's guarding does. As Hollinger states, if he can shore up these areas, DeRozan could find himself in the upper echelon of a league bereft of promising, young 2-guards.

David Thorpe, Scouts Inc.: Looks to be an easy choice in Andrea Bargnani, if only because the coaching change gives him one last chance to decide if he wants to be a complete basketball player. Casey can be a huge difference-maker simply by getting Bargs to care about little things, like defense, rebounding and being a force at something beyond scoring. I can envision Casey saying, "You were the first pick in the draft, start acting like one."

Timothy Varner, 48 Minutes of Hell: I'm going to cheat by choosing Jonas Valanciunas, who will spend the 2011-12 season playing overseas. He's the only Raptor property that strikes me as a potential impact player in the NBA. His continued development means more for the future of the franchise than anyone on their current roster.
Toronto Raptors roster questions - ESPN
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:14 PM   #2 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 6,064
Representing:
Default

More Barg bashin', real cute. Listen, there's 5 guys on a team. Frickin' Mavs just won the whole thing with Dirk Nabisco playing shitty defense. Sometimes getting the most out of your players can depend on what they're good at. You get Bargnani all banged up by having him constantly smashing into huge dudes to play "better defense", guess what? He might get hurt. Or, he'll get winded quicker and it'll throw his shot off. I say focus on a nasty zone defensive scheme like Dallas. That'll allow Bargs' long arms to be more effective in the defensive paint.
Toby is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #3 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Superjudge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 17,371
Representing:
Default

I disagree, the weight placed on Bargnani is spot on. he DOES have to make that jump. Things is, none of he critics said he was unable... they jus said it was his time to shine.

And it is.

And he can.

But if he decides he cannot..... well... he's not gonna play much I'd think
Superjudge is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
is dead inside

Senior Member
 
Metallikid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2,234
Representing:
Default

This is crap and trite at that. Honestly, Barbosa the most important player because he's an upcoming free agent? Really?

At the core I disagree with their whole premise of there being one-player whom this season rests most heavily on. Andrea needs to prove he can be defensively competent. DeMar needs to prove that he is and will continue to become a more complete player (as of last season he really just does a few things particularly well). Jerryd needs to prove that he can be a floor general. Amir needs to prove that he can be a centre and not commit silly fouls. Jose needs to prove he can stay healthy. Kleiza needs to prove that we signed him for a good reason. James Johnson needs to prove that he's actually an NBA calibre players.

All of these questions are important and will determine the result of this season. No single one will make or break the season.
Metallikid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 02:51 AM   #5 (permalink)
the next dictator of MLSE

fresh and clean
 
Windex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: uʍop ɹǝpun
Posts: 22,591
Representing:
Default

did someone mention Weems? :cookie:
Windex is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #6 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
More Barg bashin', real cute. Listen, there's 5 guys on a team. Frickin' Mavs just won the whole thing with Dirk Nabisco playing shitty defense. Sometimes getting the most out of your players can depend on what they're good at. You get Bargnani all banged up by having him constantly smashing into huge dudes to play "better defense", guess what? He might get hurt. Or, he'll get winded quicker and it'll throw his shot off. I say focus on a nasty zone defensive scheme like Dallas. That'll allow Bargs' long arms to be more effective in the defensive paint.
Dallas' zone defense is a matchup zone. Dirk was still guarding someone. And his defense was not shitty. Positionally he was good most of the time. And that is where Andrea falls down constantly. Without at least good position, and the ability to help properly, your team ends up defending 5 on 4. He doesn't need to bang. He needs to simply contribute, and that has been challenging thus far. A nasty zone doesn't solve that anymore than the gimmicks that Triano tried.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Dallas' zone defense is a matchup zone. Dirk was still guarding someone. And his defense was not shitty. Positionally he was good most of the time. And that is where Andrea falls down constantly. Without at least good position, and the ability to help properly, your team ends up defending 5 on 4. He doesn't need to bang. He needs to simply contribute, and that has been challenging thus far. A nasty zone doesn't solve that anymore than the gimmicks that Triano tried.
i think why people bring up dallas and dirk is coz they feel it wouldn't take much to get Bargs to that level? defensively i mean.

the debate will rage on and on........and on, but if Bargs doesn't show improvement i will be looking for him to be traded.

said in another thread inevitably what will happen will be he will improve some but maybe not enough for some people and it won't be consistent, then the debate will rage on!

"oh, come on, he's shown signs this season, what about againt such and such."
"yeah, big deal he defended (insert average player here,) but he still doesn't do it against (insert good player here.)
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Dirk needed to get his special coach from Germany to get him to the level he is at now. A lot of people think that guy just made him an unconventional shooter. But if you listened to Dirk talk about him, the need for him came about when Dirk realized the NBA game was too fast for him, causing him to plateau in his first couple of years, particularly on the defensive end. Dirk worked insanely hard to get to the level he's at. Even then he had to get that much tougher in order to break through the ceiling that held them back in the playoffs.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Likes raw prospects with a great work ethic...

Senior Member
 
LKeet6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Liverpool (UK)
Posts: 2,203
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Dirk needed to get his special coach from Germany to get him to the level he is at now. A lot of people think that guy just made him an unconventional shooter. But if you listened to Dirk talk about him, the need for him came about when Dirk realized the NBA game was too fast for him, causing him to plateau in his first couple of years, particularly on the defensive end. Dirk worked insanely hard to get to the level he's at. Even then he had to get that much tougher in order to break through the ceiling that held them back in the playoffs.
it certainly is in doubt whether Bargs will work hard enough to get his game in better shape. I don't think it's as unlikely as some people do and i'm putting my faith in him.

if at any point casey decides he's seen enough and we start looking at trades i won't complain too hard as long as the deal is something very good.
LKeet6 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:09 PM   #10 (permalink)
LX
effin' ineffable

In the Paint
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 30,071
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKeet6 View Post
it certainly is in doubt whether Bargs will work hard enough to get his game in better shape. I don't think it's as unlikely as some people do and i'm putting my faith in him.

if at any point casey decides he's seen enough and we start looking at trades i won't complain too hard as long as the deal is something very good.
Yep - I just hope to see Casey implement his system, and not have to cheat himself. If Andrea works in the overall scheme that's great. But if he's a weak link that takes the emphasis away from defense, then it's up to Colangelo to fix that.
LX is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #11 (permalink)
The Professional Scorer

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4,585
Representing:
Default

Well the thing is, Jay Triano had quite a bit of zone D, and Bargnani always seems to be lost in it. I think he has the tools height + size and quickness. But he's just a lazy player and its really going to be hard to get him motivated after 6 years. Well see what Dwayne Casey can do, if he does what Mitchell did
JDMtors is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:37 AM   #12 (permalink)
Keep it simple

Senior Member
 
Dario's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 9,614
Representing:
Send a message via Skype™ to Dario
Default

I guess they're not checking out DeRozan and his highlight plays.
Dario is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:18 PM   #13 (permalink)
threat inside

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 621
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Dirk needed to get his special coach from Germany to get him to the level he is at now.
It made me think of this:
moujik is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
sticking to his guns... is stuck to his guns...

Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Cambridge, ON
Posts: 5,303
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikid View Post
This is crap and trite at that. Honestly, Barbosa the most important player because he's an upcoming free agent? Really?

At the core I disagree with their whole premise of there being one-player whom this season rests most heavily on. Andrea needs to prove he can be defensively competent. DeMar needs to prove that he is and will continue to become a more complete player (as of last season he really just does a few things particularly well). Jerryd needs to prove that he can be a floor general. Amir needs to prove that he can be a centre and not commit silly fouls. Jose needs to prove he can stay healthy. Kleiza needs to prove that we signed him for a good reason. James Johnson needs to prove that he's actually an NBA calibre players.

All of these questions are important and will determine the result of this season. No single one will make or break the season.
FYI: the quoted portion of the article is a list of players to whom this season is most important. Barbosa may not be important to this team's season, but this season is important for him to secure another contract.
DanH is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #15 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,222
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallikid View Post
This is crap and trite at that. Honestly, Barbosa the most important player because he's an upcoming free agent? Really?

At the core I disagree with their whole premise of there being one-player whom this season rests most heavily on. Andrea needs to prove he can be defensively competent. DeMar needs to prove that he is and will continue to become a more complete player (as of last season he really just does a few things particularly well). Jerryd needs to prove that he can be a floor general. Amir needs to prove that he can be a centre and not commit silly fouls. Jose needs to prove he can stay healthy. Kleiza needs to prove that we signed him for a good reason. James Johnson needs to prove that he's actually an NBA calibre players.

All of these questions are important and will determine the result of this season. No single one will make or break the season.
agreed, how can you put a guy as being the most important to the team because he is a free agent. You can put it as this is the most important season for him because he's a free agent, but not to the team
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24