The Emergence Of Jerryd Bayless - Page 3
Old 03-18-2012, 12:32 PM   #41 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,762
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EggsToTheBBQ View Post
Last 5 games:

.543/.571/.840

21.8 pts 7.6 ast 3.6 reb 1.8 stl 2.6 to
Honestly I like those numbers...The only problem is that he doesn't pass the ball as well as Jose on the pick & roll.
But that can be fixed with more time IMO
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:59 PM   #42 (permalink)
Mass Effect'in

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4
Representing:
Default

He's more dynamic than Jose, I'd keep starting him to be honest, might as well see what he has to close out the season. You already know what you're going to get from Calderon.
MakeMyDeparture is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:59 PM   #43 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Representing:
Default

A lot of you guys are crazy because Bayless has the potential to be comparable to Russell Westbrook. Sure, his playmaking skills need work, but the guy is an excellent combo guard (I realize he's not a natural PG) who can fill it up when given the opportunity (and not on the coaches short leash). The guy has proven over and over again that when given starter minutes, he's able to produce in a major way, and I'm confident he'd be able to average at least 18 ppg, 4 rebs, and 6 apg if given 30+ minutes a game as a combo guard. That said, the Raptors should start Bayless for the rest of the season, and bring Calderon off the bench.

Also, I find it absolutely hilarious how certain people here are hestitant about Toronto exercising his qualifying offer of $4.1 million; especially after giving a guy like Amir Johnson a multi-year contract worth $6 million a year.

Last edited by baller13; 03-18-2012 at 07:21 PM.
baller13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:07 PM   #44 (permalink)
.

Senior Member
 
carp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 11,492
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller13 View Post
A lot of you guys are crazy because Bayless has the potential to be comparable to Russell Westbrook. Sure, his playmaking skills need work, but the guy is an excellent combo guard (I realize he's not a natural PG) who can fill it up when given the opportunity. The guy has proven over and over again that when given starter minutes, he's able to produce in a major way, and I'm confident he'd be able to average at least 18 ppg, 4 rebs, and 6 apg if given 30+ minutes a game as a combo guard. That said, the Raptors should start Bayless for the rest of the season, and bring Calderon off the bench.

Also, I find it absolutely hilarious how certain people here are hestitant about Toronto exercising his qualifying offer of $4.1 million; especially after giving a guy like Amir Johnson a contract worth $5-6 million a year.
You lost me at the bolded part. Have you watched Westbrook? His athleticism is off the charts. Arguably one of the most athletic guys in the league.
carp is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #45 (permalink)
Waiting for DD's 1st in game wind mill Dunk

Senior Member

 
halphbreedballer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: T.O.
Posts: 4,762
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
You lost me at the bolded part. Have you watched Westbrook? His athleticism is off the charts. Arguably one of the most athletic guys in the league.
Yup Bayless is more of a 3 inch taller Jameer Nelson IMO

Last edited by halphbreedballer; 03-18-2012 at 07:30 PM.
halphbreedballer is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:48 PM   #46 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by carp View Post
You lost me at the bolded part. Have you watched Westbrook? His athleticism is off the charts. Arguably one of the most athletic guys in the league.
Perhaps Westbrook wasn't the best comparison (I realize Westbrook is more athletic than Bayless), but I was mainly referring to his potential output in terms of points, rebounds, and assists being comparable to Westbrook's.

Last edited by baller13; 03-18-2012 at 08:09 PM.
baller13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:54 PM   #47 (permalink)
the boss

Senior Member
 
DonMughal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 4,120
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by halphbreedballer View Post
Yup Bayless is more of a 3 inch taller Jameer Nelson IMO
Lol As much as that comment pissed me off, I can't even argue with it.
DonMughal is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 07:57 PM   #48 (permalink)
awesome

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 710
Representing:
Default

Bayless is murdering Bargs.
RaptorsFan4Life is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:17 PM   #49 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaptorsFan4Life View Post
Bayless is murdering Bargs.
And everyone else ....granted Bayless is getting his but at the expence of the entire team. Interesting to hear from BC there was alot of interest in Calderon...and no mention Of Bayless. Only here on this board you will find where your best players get shit on.
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:26 PM   #50 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor123 View Post
And everyone else ....granted Bayless is getting his but at the expence of the entire team. Interesting to hear from BC there was alot of interest in Calderon...and no mention Of Bayless. Only here on this board you will find where your best players get shit on.
How so? Over the last 5 games, he's shooting 54% from the field while averaging 21.8 pts, 3.6 rebs, 7.6 ast, 2 stl, and 2.6 to's per game. Pretty sure those are all-star caliber numbers, and if the Raps aren't winning, it's not because of him.

I think a lot of you guys just don't like the guy for some reason. Maybe it's his on-court demeanor or the fact that he's not a natural PG or because he's bounced around the league a bit in his 4 year career, but it seems like a lot of you have it out for him (even when he plays extremely well). The guy could put up MVP caliber numbers for the rest of the season and a lot of you would still find something to complain about.. lol.

Last edited by baller13; 03-18-2012 at 08:34 PM.
baller13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:30 PM   #51 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,540
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller13 View Post
How so? Over the last 5 games, he's shooting 54% from the field while averaging 21.8 pts, 3.6 rebs, 7.6 ast, 2 stl, and 2.6 to's per game. Pretty sure those are all-star caliber numbers, and if the Raps aren't winning, it's not because of him.

I think a lot of you guys just don't like the guy for some reason. Maybe it's his on-court demeanor or the fact that he's not a natural PG, but it seems like a lot of you have it out for him (even when he plays extremely well).


Well, you're discussing Bayless with the bigest Calderon fanboy here. The only time he speaks is when discussing Jose or the PG position in general. Take it for what it is.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 PM   #52 (permalink)
a nacho hound

Senior Member
 
Toby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South of Portland, home of the Blazers
Posts: 5,032
Representing:
Default

It's an ABC situation
A) get healthy
B) playing time at point
C) fans that like him
Toby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:06 PM   #53 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,602
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller13 View Post

Also, I find it absolutely hilarious how certain people here are hestitant about Toronto exercising his qualifying offer of $4.1 million; especially after giving a guy like Amir Johnson a multi-year contract worth $6 million a year.
First of all, middle of the road big men in general command higher salaries than middle of the road guards.

Secondly, Amir Johnson signed that contract after proving over the course of an 82 game season that he could be consistent and durable.

Bayless has yet to show he can be either of those things.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #54 (permalink)
a Piston Fan !

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,258
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Well, you're discussing Bayless with the bigest Calderon fanboy here. The only time he speaks is when discussing Jose or the PG position in general. Take it for what it is.
Take from it Jeff....who shits on our team.....and Euro players all the time. Sticks his nose into everything lol !
Baylesss with good numbers and most hate his game...ask yourself the question would you want Bayless as your point on your team ???? Hence that is why most dislike his game !
raptor123 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #55 (permalink)
useless

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 1,200
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
First of all, middle of the road big men in general command higher salaries than middle of the road guards.

Secondly, Amir Johnson signed that contract after proving over the course of an 82 game season that he could be consistent and durable.

Bayless has yet to show he can be either of those things.
Bayless will get more than $4mil.
EggsToTheBBQ is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 09:44 PM   #56 (permalink)
Gam zeh ya'avor

The Gatekeeper
 
MikeToronto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 3,920
Representing:
Default

I am sorry, but Bayless is still not a point guard. He has proven, somewhat, that when starting and playing starter's minutes, he will produce - I am just not sure he is making a single other guy on the floor with him better.

The upcoming tough stretch of game vs. top-flight teams will definitely provide more information for analysis. I can easily see the Raps bringing Jose off the bench for a while after he returns, thus giving Bayless more chances to show what he can do as a starter. I just can't see a facilitator in him.
MikeToronto is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:08 PM   #57 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,337
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
I agree, except I think it's possible he can be good defensively, and that he's likely been asked to make his defense a priority. To me, that's what he has to show over time, along with an improved ability to run the offense, and still score some even when the shot is off. It is a pretty big test that he's going to need to pass, but he still should get the opportunity to pass or fail.
yeah, same as Bargnani

I look at bayless and I see him doing pretty much what jack is doing in NO (and what jack was doing for us in stretches). Rather than a poor man's westbrook, I see a poor man's stuckey.

I would be very, very uncomfortable with bayless as our point guard of the future. As a backup though, you can certainly do worse. So it's all down to money. 3-4 millions is fair, 6+ is a major stretch.

I think he's RFA though, so that'll make it easy. There's no way anybody offers him even 5 million, so we should be able to get him cheaply (if we want him).
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:35 PM   #58 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 25
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moremilk View Post
yeah, same as Bargnani

I look at bayless and I see him doing pretty much what jack is doing in NO (and what jack was doing for us in stretches). Rather than a poor man's westbrook, I see a poor man's stuckey.

I would be very, very uncomfortable with bayless as our point guard of the future. As a backup though, you can certainly do worse. So it's all down to money. 3-4 millions is fair, 6+ is a major stretch.

I think he's RFA though, so that'll make it easy. There's no way anybody offers him even 5 million, so we should be able to get him cheaply (if we want him).
Don't kid yourself. If he continues to do what he's done the last 10 games (or even 80% of what he's done) for the remaining 21 games, he'll be offered at least $5 million a year. Marcus Thornton was on the bench in New Orleans averaging like 7 ppg for 2/3 of the season, got traded to Sacramento, averaged like 21ppg the remaining 25-30 games, and ended up signing a deal worth $7-8 mil a year.

Last edited by baller13; 03-18-2012 at 11:39 PM.
baller13 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #59 (permalink)
and a 1, and a 2, and a 1,2,3,4!

Senior Member
 
pzabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: toronto
Posts: 6,904
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by baller13 View Post
Don't kid yourself. If he continues to do what he's done the last 10 games (or even 80% of what he's done) for the remaining 21 games, he'll be offered at least $5 million a year. Marcus Thornton was on the bench in New Orleans averaging like 7 ppg for 2/3 of the season, got traded to Sacramento, averaged like 21ppg the remaining 25-30 games, and ended up signing a deal worth $7-8 mil a year.
U think bayless can do that for 25-30 games? Really?
pzabby is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 11:59 PM   #60 (permalink)
Sick, Wicked, and Nasty!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 3,223
Representing:
Default

not really sure what to think of bayless still, sure his numbers have been great, but its really been for 2-3 games and no jose and full knowledge in his mind that he is basically going to play every minute, so he has more minutes to inflate his numbers and no worries of being benched
he's also playing on a team that we all know has packed it in for the season and is not playing for anything, its still kind of hard to read into his recent success
at this point i am sticking with my initial feelings about him, he should be our backup PG as he's probably better than the majority of backup PGs and he has the ability to fill in at the starting PG every now and then, but the starting PG has to go to someone better than bayless, our goal here is a championship and bayless is not a championship starting PG, but i do think he's a championship backup PG
i say we sign/trade for an allstar PG, ship jose because his status demands too much of the salary to be our backup, and give bayless the backup role
Admiral is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24