Dwane Casey - To Re-Sign or Not to Re-Sign? - Page 3

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Should Dwane Casey be Re-Signed?
Re-sign Casey 8 15.69%
Let Casey walk 20 39.22%
Too early to make a decision 23 45.10%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2014, 07:54 PM   #41 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
At the same time, you have to consider that Masai trading Bargnani and Gay and not re-signing AA sort of saved Casey from himself. While the system has something to do with it, DJ in Chicago could make you wonder.
DJ is starting. That's a very different thing. Bayless tends to look much better as a starter. There are different players as well. And no Rudy. The dude just killed the team.

Casey does not need to be saved from himself. He needs a roster that he can imprint properly. Like he does now. AA was the closest to fulfilling a lot of what he was looking for within an extremely unbalanced roster. The team did move forward all the same. There was growth.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 07:57 PM   #42 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
DJ is starting. That's a very different thing. Bayless tends to look much better as a starter. There are different players as well. And no Rudy. The dude just killed the team.

Casey does not need to be saved from himself. He needs a roster that he can imprint properly. Like he does now. AA was the closest to fulfilling a lot of what he was looking for within an extremely unbalanced roster. The team did move forward all the same. There was growth.
Augustin hasn't been starting every game. He's only started 3 out of his 15 games with Chicago. He is although averaging 29min. Last game where he got 20/12 he came off the bench.
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:40 PM   #43 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

Vogel must suck too for not being able to coax such brilliance out Augustin.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:43 PM   #44 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
Vogel must suck too for not being able to coax such brilliance out Augustin.
Who is saying that?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:48 PM   #45 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Who is saying that?
I've read it a few times over the last while.

How come Thibs is getting something out of him while Casey couldn't.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 08:51 PM   #46 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,619
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
He's been coaching for decades.
He's been a head coach just once before.

Anyway, I prefer we get a strong defensively minded coach, experienced or not. Thibodeau wasn't experienced when he got the Bulls job and he's now a top 2 coach in the NBA.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:16 PM   #47 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

We have a strong defensively minded coach. And how was Thibs not experienced? He was a key part of a championship team.

I do wonder if people think all the first time coaches that recently entered the ranks should be replaced by a Karl or JVG? I think the bulk of them are doing a pretty nice job. It's great to see the endless recycling coming to an end and guys like Hornacek getting a chance.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:27 PM   #48 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,746
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
We have a strong defensively minded coach. And how was Thibs not experienced? He was a key part of a championship team.

I do wonder if people think all the first time coaches that recently entered the ranks should be replaced by a Karl or JVG? I think the bulk of them are doing a pretty nice job. It's great to see the endless recycling coming to an end and guys like Hornacek getting a chance.
Enough of the recycling of coaches. Hornacek has done a great job, so has Budenholzer,Brett Brown, Brad Stevens, and Mark Jackson and Frank Vogel who had never been head coaches turned out to be good hires. Meanwhile, how are Larry Drew, Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, all recycles doing? Hollins and Karl and SVG haven't been snapped up.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:34 PM   #49 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,619
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
We have a strong defensively minded coach. And how was Thibs not experienced? He was a key part of a championship team.

I do wonder if people think all the first time coaches that recently entered the ranks should be replaced by a Karl or JVG? I think the bulk of them are doing a pretty nice job. It's great to see the endless recycling coming to an end and guys like Hornacek getting a chance.
I meant that we should have a strong defensive minded coach, whether it's Casey or not. Casey's actual schemes are not bad (at least defensively) but his downfall is the boneheaded moves and rotations. A head coach should know when to foul in late-game situations, and recognize when the other team is going on a run against his bench. Then again, that's only a small fraction of his responsibilities.

Regardless if we keep Casey or not, I think we need to stick with the guy we choose for a while. Time to get some consistency going with the management.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 09:48 PM   #50 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,746
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
I meant that we should have a strong defensive minded coach, whether it's Casey or not. Casey's actual schemes are not bad (at least defensively) but his downfall is the boneheaded moves and rotations. A head coach should know when to foul in late-game situations, and recognize when the other team is going on a run against his bench. Then again, that's only a small fraction of his responsibilities.

Regardless if we keep Casey or not, I think we need to stick with the guy we choose for a while. Time to get some consistency going with the management.
It's only the players you want to change like underwear.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:07 PM   #51 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,619
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
It's only the players you want to change like underwear.
I go commando all the time, silly. No underwear for me!

I'm a strong believer that upper management can have an affect on the play of the team. Just look at Dolan.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:30 PM   #52 (permalink)
doesn't care where LeBron plays. Or Melo.

OY!!
 
niggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Loch Ness
Posts: 2,746
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolAid View Post
I go commando all the time, silly. No underwear for me!

I'm a strong believer that upper management can have an affect on the play of the team. Just look at Dolan.
Just look at Masai.
niggles is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #53 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by niggles View Post
Enough of the recycling of coaches. Hornacek has done a great job, so has Budenholzer,Brett Brown, Brad Stevens, and Mark Jackson and Frank Vogel who had never been head coaches turned out to be good hires. Meanwhile, how are Larry Drew, Mike Brown, Mike Woodson, all recycles doing? Hollins and Karl and SVG haven't been snapped up.
Mike Malone is alright as well. Liked him a lot way back when he was in Toronto.

LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #54 (permalink)
is praying Ross makes us forget Drummomd so people stop whining

Senior Member
 
jeffb's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 73,477
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
Mike Malone is alright as well. Liked him a lot way back when he was in Toronto.

Kings Coach Mike Malone Breaks Down His Offense - YouTube
Wasn't it his father that was here?
jeffb is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:31 PM   #55 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
Wasn't it his father that was here?
He was an assistant. He did a lot of post-game interviews.

Just checked - must have done interviews as an assistant with other teams, due to his father having been a coach here. Just remembered him making a big impression.

Last edited by LX; 01-12-2014 at 11:34 PM.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:35 PM   #56 (permalink)
landry fields forever

Administrator

 
Acie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Living in a van down by the river
Posts: 21,599
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LX View Post
He was an assistant. He did a lot of post-game interviews.

Just checked - must have done interviews as an assistant with other teams, due to his father having been a coach here. Just remembered him making a big impression.
I think he was an assistant to Leo on Team Canada.
Acie is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #57 (permalink)
whatever

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: toronto
Posts: 9,325
Representing:
Default

why do people complain so much about dwayne's rotations? Worst i can see is his tendency to leave JV on the bench, but the reality is that going big can only work if you can punish the other team inside, and even then is dangerous. You lose a lot when you go big against small and getting a few extra rebounds won't cut it.
moremilk is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:49 AM   #58 (permalink)
playoffs please dont end

FTMFW
 
Shifty.py's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 3,598
Representing:
Default

Voted too early to make a decision.
Didn't like how he handled Rudy Gay, but very impressed how he turned around after the trade.
We have a good chance of making playoffs. So the final test for him will be how he handles playoff games
Shifty.py is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 07:20 AM   #59 (permalink)
If I ruled the world...

Sippin' On Myself
 
KoolAid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 3,619
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shifty.py View Post
Voted too early to make a decision.
Didn't like how he handled Rudy Gay, but very impressed how he turned around after the trade.
We have a good chance of making playoffs. So the final test for him will be how he handles playoff games
Agree on the Rudy part. He doesn't hold guys accountable, we've seen it with Rudy and Bargs now. Either he doesn't know how to adjust to his top players having a bad game, or he's content with letting players put up bad shots all the time.
KoolAid is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:30 AM   #60 (permalink)
LX
present minded

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 27,755
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acie View Post
I think he was an assistant to Leo on Team Canada.
Yeah, there was a clear relationship with this city. Working my memory a bit more i can remember him talking at length with Paul Jones after games when he was an assistant with the Knicks and Cleveland. He would talk about the Raptors quite extensively, what he saw that he liked, what he thought the team needed to do yet. I always thought he'd be a good assistant here, to the point where i made him one in my memory.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24