Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Doug Smith Rips TSN's Chisholm A New One (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/doug-smith-rips-tsns-chisholm-new-one-1368.html)

Dr. J. Naismith 03-22-2008 10:27 PM

Doug Smith Rips TSN's Chisholm A New One
 
I kind of lost alot of respect for Doug today. He's sounds like a spiteful teenage girl here. :cwm34:

Doug's response to tim article from Monday. :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doug Smith's Blog
Mitchell in for 4 more years? I think not. Here's a great article
explaining why:

http://www.tsn.ca/nba/news_story/?ID=232119&hubname

Doug's note: An interesting read that was pointed out to me on several occasions since it went up. And I've resisted any urge to comment. Until now.
The item would carry much more weight had the author even once attended a game, practice, shootaround or road trip and spoken to a player, coach, trainer or front office official.
It is the opinion of a fellow precisely the same as it would be of any fan who sits and watches games on television, scalps quotes from other publications to suit his theories and expounds from a background of a fan, rather than someone who's actually been around the team.
The only difference is the platform afforded him.

Source - Click here

Ball Don't Lie 03-23-2008 12:31 AM

And completely avoided any of his points because he cant argue against them. Lame.

The MVP of West Hollywood 03-23-2008 12:39 AM

yeah... I just read that Chisolm article again and was amazed at how completley dead on he is. And this was written before the "Ford in the 4th" problem became ludacris.

ClingRap 03-23-2008 08:56 AM

this is doug smith pissing on someone else's work to mark his own territory. it's immature , this bullshit call to authenticity. chisholm's an analyst, from the outside, and a pretty good writer, at least in this example.
the more i read his blog. the more im starting to loathe his writing, and his "i keed i keed" pretentiousness. i find his high brow attitude a bit tiring. although i havent seen the kind of questions he gets but if its like anything from realgm then maybe thats why he is the way he is...to deter the insanity. still, the guy's criticism of chisholm downright sucks.

Acie 03-23-2008 09:20 AM

I don't know, I think he kind of has a point.

Claudius 03-23-2008 09:46 AM

To be honest, I just see it as a stupid war of words attempting to happen. He's basically slogging a fellow writer. The one thing that's bugged me about Doug Smith is this attitude he always carries around with him that he's the "most knowledgeable" man about the sport in Toronto because he always follows them therefore his opinion is number one.

Secondly, the one thing that's stood out to me and hurt Doug Smith's credibility in my eyes is the fact that he listed the all stars prior and they were, well wrong. I don't ever think anyone questioned him on the list afterwards, but he was just plain in wrong on who he said would be in. Oh well, I guess it's easy to ignore criticsms.

Acie 03-23-2008 10:10 AM

I think he's just embittered by the massive amount of moronic questions he receives on a daily basis. Also, maybe he's invoking the 80% rule. lol

Ball Don't Lie 03-23-2008 12:14 PM

Quote:

Secondly, the one thing that's stood out to me and hurt Doug Smith's credibility in my eyes is the fact that he listed the all stars prior and they were, well wrong. I don't ever think anyone questioned him on the list afterwards, but he was just plain in wrong on who he said would be in. Oh well, I guess it's easy to ignore criticsms.
And he picked TOR and NJ to be better teams than Boston this year! Donut Dougy!

lang 03-23-2008 02:32 PM

Doug needs to get back to pooping on Marty York. Now that's great reading.

Superjudge 03-23-2008 04:45 PM

He's right.

Pickstar 03-23-2008 06:15 PM

I had to post again after reading this thread.

Doug Smith is one of the worst writers. He is so biased towards Sam Mitchell and loves those one liners Sam provides for him everyday. It is obvious that Doug Smith tries very hard not to be critical of Smitch. Doug Smith always writes an article with a personal agenda, and thats the problem with the mass media these days.

If he attempted to try to disprove why the TSN article was wrong, then I could give him some credit, but to flat out just throw it away is ignorant. Never has he questioned what Sam Mitchell does, nor does he take an outside view point, he really needs to stop writing these one sided, bias articles.

moremilk 03-23-2008 10:37 PM

Quote:

Mitchell can (and does) blame the players all he wants, but his Raptors have become a purely reactive team because he coaches them that way.
I don't think I ever remember Sam taking a specific blame after a loss, but I've heard him many times placing the blame on the players (not naming anybody in particular). To me, that's a major sign of mental weakness and lack of confidence in one's ability. If you're good (and you know it), you will never be afraid to admit a mistake, because it's normal to make mistakes. I'm not sure if the players after a point start to lose confidence in their coach, but I would not blame them if they would.

Krazy Ivan 03-23-2008 10:47 PM

Doug is in love with Sam... enough said.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 03-24-2008 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 (Post 20144)
I don't know, I think he kind of has a point.

Once again we agree... and his poke at the fans for doing the same made me smile :)

Acie 03-24-2008 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sick, Wicked and Nasty! (Post 20311)
Once again we agree... and his poke at the fans for doing the same made me smile :)


Yup. :cheers2:

The same fans who always take exception and are highly offended by anything negative said about the Raps by the US media are now calling Doug a fat sack of shit for saying the same things the normally say in defence of the franchise the love and root for. The same fans who complain Mitchell always blames the players for a loss, but also say he never calls out players publicly. :frustrated:

rapsfan087 03-24-2008 12:05 PM

Quote:

It is the opinion of a fellow precisely the same as it would be of any fan who sits and watches games on television, scalps quotes from other publications to suit his theories and expounds from a background of a fan, rather than someone who's actually been around the team.
Hahahaha, he makes the same sometimes, when he names his men ( "Look at what my man ... has to say about ... ". I just think Doug protects Sam a little bit too much. It's true that all the bad things aren't because Sam, but if you are a coach and your team isn't playing well, you have something to do with that.

lang 03-24-2008 12:36 PM

I don't particularly love or hate Doug. I do think he thinks he's the only beat writer entitled to write about the Raptors. But I see him more as the team mascot than anything.

moremilk 03-24-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACIEEARL40 (Post 20322)
Yup. :cheers2:

The same fans who always take exception and are highly offended by anything negative said about the Raps by the US media are now calling Doug a fat sack of shit for saying the same things the normally say in defence of the franchise the love and root for. The same fans who complain Mitchell always blames the players for a loss, but also say he never calls out players publicly. :frustrated:

it's annoying when the us media says things about us that are obviously not researched, especially stupidities like Bosh will leave Toronto in the summer and go to Orlando because nobody likes to play in Canada (as some Orlando newsguy said last season). That kind of things. Or when the team that won 47 games last season was marked by some to not even make the playoffs, and for the most absurd reasons. But regardless, when you attack somebody's article, you should make the effort and comment on some specific points, dismissing something without arguing is very unprofessional.

That being said, I like Doug's blog, even though he's very careful to stay away from controversy - but that's understandable, his livelihood depends on players and coaches talking to him, without that he has nothing to do. He's not one of those espn analysts that can say anything because they don't depend on a team for their stories.

BballWatcher 03-25-2008 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The MVP of West Hollywood (Post 20134)
yeah... I just read that Chisolm article again and was amazed at how completley dead on he is. And this was written before the "Ford in the 4th" problem became ludacris.

Ditto. Chisolm's article is bang on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moremilk (Post 20267)
I don't think I ever remember Sam taking a specific blame after a loss, but I've heard him many times placing the blame on the players (not naming anybody in particular). To me, that's a major sign of mental weakness and lack of confidence in one's ability. If you're good (and you know it), you will never be afraid to admit a mistake, because it's normal to make mistakes. I'm not sure if the players after a point start to lose confidence in their coach, but I would not blame them if they would.

I can't remember Sam saying mea culpa either. I can recall several times Phil Jackson doing it, even when they seemed to be decently prepared, but Smitch seems to have his defenses up the moment a game ends and questions begin. He's so insecure about his coaching that many of his responses are just sarcastic quips.

Sick, Wicked and Nasty! 03-25-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BballWatcher (Post 20601)
He's so insecure about his coaching that many of his responses are just sarcastic quips.

You think he's insecure? I've never heard anyone think that before..until now i guess. He definitely loathes the media and has always given sarcastic remarks, but really he seems about the most confident and secure guy i've ever seen. It's his way or the bench..and that's what this team has always lacked in a coach...again not saying he's perfect but really using the interviews with the media as evidence to support an argument is like telling an archeologist returning from a dig he's wrong because you read something in a tabloid to the contrary :)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24