Do you want Bryan Colangelo back next season? - Page 5

Go Back   Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards > NBA Discussion > Toronto Raptors

View Poll Results: Do you want Bryan Colangelo back next season?
Yes, let him finish what he has started 65 79.27%
No, his time is up 17 20.73%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 05:08 PM   #81 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb View Post
By how much, really? Splitting hairs there.
Lol... c'mon jeff. Bosh is no Tim Duncan but yes, he IS markedly better than Dirk on the defensive end.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:14 PM   #82 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
he [Bosh] IS markedly better than Dirk on the defensive end.
I disagree. It depends on what type of big they are guarding.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:22 PM   #83 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,721
Representing:
Default

Dirk is little underrated on defense.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:26 PM   #84 (permalink)
is pounding the rock!

Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,784
Representing:
Default

Miami is top 5 in defensive efficiency. You don't rank that high when your big man who logs all the minutes (36 plus per game) does not play defense especially having Mike Bibby or Arroyo (in the beginning of the season) playing the point. Guees who is dead last and the big man who gets all the minutes.

Hollinger's NBA Team Stats - ESPN Insider - National Basketball Association - ESPN
RAPMAN is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:32 PM   #85 (permalink)
LX
synapse jelly

In the Paint


 
LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto
Posts: 28,721
Representing:
Default

Absolutely Rapman. Miami's defense is what will win it for them this year, if they can go that far. And a lot of that is going to depend on Bosh's playoff performances. His defense is very underrated, but it also kills the team when it's not there.
LX is online now   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #86 (permalink)
"Fake All-Star"

Senior Member
 
TORaptor4Ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 16,432
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Haverchuck View Post
I disagree. It depends on what type of big they are guarding.
Neither is known as a "defensive stopper" but Bosh is quicker laterally, plays better help D and rebounds the ball better.
TORaptor4Ever is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #87 (permalink)
the gat'll killya quicker, when I'm drunk off the liquor

The Mara sisters are hot!
 
Bill Haverchuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 10,240
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TORaptor4Ever View Post
Bosh is quicker laterally
For Bosh's sake, I'd hope so, since Dirk turns 33 this summer.

Quote:
plays better help D and rebounds the ball better.
Right now, there is little difference, in my opinion. To be clear, that gap might grow more and more in the near future since Bosh is in his prime and Dirk is nearing the age when players start to decline. Both players had a decline in their rebounding numbers this year because they're playing with new frontcourt pairings. Both can rebound well when called upon. I wouldn't necessarily say Bosh is better in any important practical sense.
Bill Haverchuck is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 07:06 PM   #88 (permalink)
in a battle for Eeyore's soul! Save him! For the dark side hath cookies!

Member
 
bladeofBG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 429
Representing:
Raptors

@ Dutches:

Oh no question that its DWade's team. I've no doubt that's exactly how the fanbase, Spoelstra, Riley and Arison all feel. But on the court, that's Lebitch's team. It's juss the way it is and the reason why I'm not rooting for them, despite my love for Chris, DWade, UHaslem and the other players there that I like.

And in 2009, Miami definately wanted Jermaine O'Neal. He was their 2nd best player in his time there, and every shrewd GM knew that its better to prepare for the '10 summer, where JO's contract expired, than it was the '09, when Matrix's contract expired. The overpayment thereof was giving away Jamario and our 1st Rder. Miami made off w/a highway robbery there, especially since Matrix, while a better player than Jamario, didn't provide as good a fit for us.

I'm obsessed w/character too. I'm also aware that people can change. Where has Beasley's issues been this past season, y'know? Anyways, character is a subject w/alot of branches, and talking about that further would derail the thread. So I'll simply end that topic by humbly disagreeing w/you, as while Bryan talks about character, I feel he has shown none of it in his moves (as in moving players who were indeed character guys, who fit way better than anything else he's brought in since, and in how he talked about Chris after he left; there's not even circumstantial evidence of Chris quitting, as he claimed) and I've already said more than once what I feel is the true root of Bryan's activities and no one has yet to say anything substantial to effectively counter it. The truth will come out in due time.

Agreed. Andrea and Micheal's numbers are similar. However, they play different positions. W/the way Amir & Ed were developing, Micheal could've easily manned the small forward like how Linas and James have done (Micheal started most of his games this year at small forward and is of a similar build to James Johnson, while Kevin Love mans the power forward). What's more, we're at our best when we're gang rebounding (not excusing bad reounding numbers, simply stating we're at our best when everyone is helping). And Coach Triano's resume in developing players forces me to disagree w/you when you said 'Regardless of what Triano did.' And Micheal would've had the same type of locker room w/us here as he has in Minny, and thus I believe we had the perfect circumstances here for him to perform as he has in Minny this past year. We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

I don't understand how a 2nd overall pick who has only played 2yrs, was a rotation player in both of those years en route to helping his team get into the playoffs, played well for a young player in both of those playoff series, can score from everywhere, plays unselfishly, got better defensively (thus showing he's got a work ethic), has one of the most fun personalities in the league, showed he had very correctable character issues and sincerely wanted to better himself (he wasn't a career fuck up like Shawne Williams was before finally smartening up now in 10-11), is seen as bad of an asset as many have claimed. It's a rash, sudden and shortsighted judgement, and I'm not juss saying it w/20-20 hindsight vision: Micheal never displayed stupidity like how Shawne Williams and others in the past have shown it, and thus should've still been a valued asset. That most GM's 'missed the boat' on Micheal doesn't excuse Bryan for doing the same, especially w/all the continually bad moves he's made since summer 2007, and especially again when he could've been had in exchange for Chris, if indeed Chris was so desperate in leaving.

It's not like taking a 'gamble' on Micheal would set back the franchise worse than donating Chris as he did, and all the bad moves before that.

Last edited by bladeofBG; 04-12-2011 at 07:17 PM.
bladeofBG is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:12 AM   #89 (permalink)
Bang Bang Bang, Skeet Skeet Skeet, She do that thing for 3 retweets...

Blunted Member
 
Dutches's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Here
Posts: 997
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeofBG View Post
@ Dutches:

Oh no question that its DWade's team. I've no doubt that's exactly how the fanbase, Spoelstra, Riley and Arison all feel. But on the court, that's Lebitch's team. It's juss the way it is and the reason why I'm not rooting for them, despite my love for Chris, DWade, UHaslem and the other players there that I like.

And in 2009, Miami definately wanted Jermaine O'Neal. He was their 2nd best player in his time there, and every shrewd GM knew that its better to prepare for the '10 summer, where JO's contract expired, than it was the '09, when Matrix's contract expired. The overpayment thereof was giving away Jamario and our 1st Rder. Miami made off w/a highway robbery there, especially since Matrix, while a better player than Jamario, didn't provide as good a fit for us.

He was only their second best player because they literally had no one else. The pick was an over payment, but Jamario was not. We didn't want him at the time, and still dont', and now Weems is on the same path of chuckery that he was on when he left. At the time that was not a highway robbery, maybe in terms of the cap space they got, but Marion was expiring too, and we got that in return. JO trade wasn't great, but it also wasn't the travesty you make it out to be.

I'm obsessed w/character too. I'm also aware that people can change. Where has Beasley's issues been this past season, y'know? Anyways, character is a subject w/alot of branches, and talking about that further would derail the thread. So I'll simply end that topic by humbly disagreeing w/you, as while Bryan talks about character, I feel he has shown none of it in his moves (as in moving players who were indeed character guys, who fit way better than anything else he's brought in since, and in how he talked about Chris after he left; there's not even circumstantial evidence of Chris quitting, as he claimed) and I've already said more than once what I feel is the true root of Bryan's activities and no one has yet to say anything substantial to effectively counter it. The truth will come out in due time.

I agree the truth will come out in due time. But until then, the people who believe Bosh quit on the team after the all-star break are entitled to that opinion based on the facts presented.

Agreed. Andrea and Micheal's numbers are similar. However, they play different positions. W/the way Amir & Ed were developing, Micheal could've easily manned the small forward like how Linas and James have done (Micheal started most of his games this year at small forward and is of a similar build to James Johnson, while Kevin Love mans the power forward). What's more, we're at our best when we're gang rebounding (not excusing bad reounding numbers, simply stating we're at our best when everyone is helping). And Coach Triano's resume in developing players forces me to disagree w/you when you said 'Regardless of what Triano did.' And Micheal would've had the same type of locker room w/us here as he has in Minny, and thus I believe we had the perfect circumstances here for him to perform as he has in Minny this past year. We'll simply have to agree to disagree.

We will just have to agree to disagree. Oddly enough Bryan seemed to agree that Beasley wasn't someone he wanted around our team. I don't think he regrets that decision even now.

I don't understand how a 2nd overall pick who has only played 2yrs, was a rotation player in both of those years en route to helping his team get into the playoffs, played well for a young player in both of those playoff series, can score from everywhere, plays unselfishly, got better defensively (thus showing he's got a work ethic), has one of the most fun personalities in the league, showed he had very correctable character issues and sincerely wanted to better himself (he wasn't a career fuck up like Shawne Williams was before finally smartening up now in 10-11), is seen as bad of an asset as many have claimed. It's a rash, sudden and shortsighted judgement, and I'm not juss saying it w/20-20 hindsight vision: Micheal never displayed stupidity like how Shawne Williams and others in the past have shown it, and thus should've still been a valued asset. That most GM's 'missed the boat' on Micheal doesn't excuse Bryan for doing the same, especially w/all the continually bad moves he's made since summer 2007, and especially again when he could've been had in exchange for Chris, if indeed Chris was so desperate in leaving.

The fact that most GM's missed the boat has nothing to do with Bryan's feelings on Micheal. He's not who BC wanted around the team, simple as that. To Bryan just the PRESENCE of character issues is a reason enough to not acquire him. No one said anything about Shawne Williams, we're talking about Micheal Beasley here, Blade. Your essentially telling me, because you feel he didn't get enough back for Bosh (which was 100x the garbage Babcock got for Vince based on getting our pick back and essentially, James Johnson for the Miami pick) and because you don't like his failed deals/moves you're going to fire a man who's won executive of the year twice, built a perennial championship contender in Phoenix and drafted exceptionally well in Toronto given his picks... PLUS MLSE won't spend the cash on a qualified replacement for him. Hell, they wouldn't even spend cash on a proper head coach because Sam's contract was still on the books...

It's not like taking a 'gamble' on Micheal would set back the franchise worse than donating Chris as he did, and all the bad moves before that.

You're saying all of this with 20/20 hindsight but ignoring the fact that 90% of the board supported those moves when Bryan made them. They just didn't pan out for whatever reasons. I always say, if your going to fire your GM, Coach, President, whatever, who are you going to bring in that is BETTER than they are? People (on RF) have a long list of candidates, most of which are currently out of jobs (showing how "good" they really are), that they feel will bring glory to the franchise. I say no, give the guy 2 years with a team option for 3 and let him correct the situation he's guided us to at this point. I believe Jeff said it a while back, I do no trust MLSE to bring in someone better.

Last edited by Dutches; 04-14-2011 at 02:14 AM.
Dutches is offline   Boss Key Wife Key Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24