Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards

Raptors Forum | Toronto Raptors Forums & Message Boards (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/)
-   Toronto Raptors (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/)
-   -   Do we have the worst owner(s) in sports? (http://www.raptorsforum.com/f/f5/do-we-have-worst-owner-s-sports-3063.html)

Ugo Ferst 08-27-2008 12:36 AM

Do we have the worst owner(s) in sports?
 
I know, people will bring up teams that havent won in ages, or teams that never won or perenially suck, but i find it more frustrating that we have one of the best $ making arenas on the planet and an ownership that has a license to print $ with the leafs and doing very well with the raptors, but WILL NOT go over the luxery tax, its pretty much their MO... i mean wtf.... Toronto fans really need to revolt and get the teachers union outta there, we will never win shit this way :(

Aar_Canada 08-27-2008 12:57 AM

They don't think in terms of championships, because it makes no difference to their long-term bottom line. In fact, a championship may hurt in the long run. If the teams are making money, that's all they care about. We're lucky though, to have Colangelo, his pride and his need to build something resembling a winner.

MLSE is a joke and save for a few years in the early 90's when they were trying to regain their lost credibility, they've been a joke for a long, long time. They're smart though, and they take advantage of these rabid fans who frustrate me to no end. I stopped watching Leaf games 9 years ago and I'd do the same if they pull the same shit with the Raps.

fancylad 08-27-2008 08:32 AM

this doesn't qualify as worst - but Ted Rogers appears pretty stupid as an owner. Does he even care HOW his money is spent?

Snooch 08-27-2008 08:37 AM

I would have to add ole what's him name in NY, Dolan?

Apollo 08-27-2008 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ugo Ferst (Post 52467)
I know, people will bring up teams that havent won in ages, or teams that never won or perenially suck, but i find it more frustrating that we have one of the best $ making arenas on the planet and an ownership that has a license to print $ with the leafs and doing very well with the raptors, but WILL NOT go over the luxery tax, its pretty much their MO... i mean wtf.... Toronto fans really need to revolt and get the teachers union outta there, we will never win shit this way :(

Champions don't necessarily need to go over the threshold to win it all. Whatever player could be had at the MLE wasn't going to push this team over the edge. MLSE has spent big bucks on this team and they got burned for doing so. Those Carter era teams were second highest paid in the league behind the Knicks and they did jack shit. Luxury tax requires that you match dollar for dollar how ever much it is you go over the threshold. So, if you're paying $10M over the threshold you're actually required to fork over $10M more to the league; go 0ver by $10M, actually pay $20M.

My arguement to you would be that this ownership IS willing to spend. In fact they've spent so much over the salary cap that they're pennies away from being penalized for it by severe luxury tax.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 52472)
They don't think in terms of championships, because it makes no difference to their long-term bottom line. In fact, a championship may hurt in the long run. If the teams are making money, that's all they care about. We're lucky though, to have Colangelo, his pride and his need to build something resembling a winner.

Thats B.S.

They're a publicly traded company who has a responsibility to its share owners but that does not mean that they're just trying to make money. Hiring Brian Colangelo cost them over $5M/season, thats outrageous compared to what most GM's are getting. They brought him in because they want to win and they paid extra to lure him out of Phoenix to come north. The Raptors ownership has shown a couple times now in the teams short life span that its willing to do extra things to make this team a winner. They don't need to throw their money down the toilet like the Knicks or Mavs.

Benzo 08-27-2008 11:31 AM

Apollo speaks the truth...all should listen.

Superjudge 08-27-2008 11:48 AM

No he isn't, you both clearly do not understand the MLSE or thier business plan.

Aar_Canada 08-27-2008 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apollo (Post 52496)
Champions don't necessarily need to go over the threshold to win it all. Whatever player could be had at the MLE wasn't going to push this team over the edge. MLSE has spent big bucks on this team and they got burned for doing so. Those Carter era teams were second highest paid in the league behind the Knicks and they did jack shit. Luxury tax requires that you match dollar for dollar how ever much it is you go over the threshold. So, if you're paying $10M over the threshold you're actually required to fork over $10M more to the league; go 0ver by $10M, actually pay $20M.

My arguement to you would be that this ownership IS willing to spend. In fact they've spent so much over the salary cap that they're pennies away from being penalized for it by severe luxury tax.



Thats B.S.

They're a publicly traded company who has a responsibility to its share owners but that does not mean that they're just trying to make money. Hiring Brian Colangelo cost them over $5M/season, thats outrageous compared to what most GM's are getting. They brought him in because they want to win and they paid extra to lure him out of Phoenix to come north. The Raptors ownership has shown a couple times now in the teams short life span that its willing to do extra things to make this team a winner. They don't need to throw their money down the toilet like the Knicks or Mavs.

This is a company who employs a dipshit named Richard Peddie, who is the laughing stock of the league and remains employed due to the fact they think he makes them a lot of money. They hire John Ferguson, a rookie GM to run the most valuable team in the NHL into the ground and then they scare off Scotty Bowman with their lunacy. A lot of the shots are called by suits who have no right to.

As far as the Raptors go, Colangelo was brought in to turn things around because the Raptors were in trouble and in danger of losing money. To get Colangelo, they had to promise Peddie wouldn't meddle. Don't think for a second, that once things get stable and a few years pass, that the Raptors won't be in a similar situation like the Leafs.

MLSE is not a publicly traded company, by the way.

Benzo 08-27-2008 12:08 PM

Aar.

Richard Peddie is very, very, very, very, very good at his job.

VERY GOOD.

Superjudge 08-27-2008 12:14 PM

Yes he is, however, it ain't all that hard to fill those seats.

The hard part is sleeping at night.

Benzo 08-27-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superjudge (Post 52513)
Yes he is, however, it ain't all that hard to fill those seats.

The hard part is sleeping at night.

MLSE is bigger than the leafs and raps....

"the seats" is small picture.

Superjudge 08-27-2008 12:31 PM

don't bore me with the details.

;)

I know what it is fella.

Fillin the seats is a pretty broad term.

Speaking of broads, hows your sister Benzo???

:P

I love you

Ball Don't Lie 08-27-2008 12:38 PM

Richard Peddie is very good at making money but should never have had a part in the actual decision making internally with either of the sports teams because he was a complete doorknob in that dept. Thank goodness BC was given the entire reigns to the decision making for this team. Is he still part of the leafs decision making in terms of who to keep with management and such?

Aar_Canada 08-27-2008 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benzo (Post 52511)
Aar.

Richard Peddie is very, very, very, very, very good at his job.

VERY GOOD.

Good at making money, which is all fine and dandy, but he sticks his nose into hockey matters, and he has no right to. All of the decisions a GM makes - with the obvious exception of Bryan - have to be run past Peddie and the board.

So, you made my point for me. He's very good at his job of making money. They don't give a shit what else he does and how badly he damages the team and as far as I'm concerned, that makes them - the OTTP, CTVglobemedia, TD and Kilmer - bad owners.

jeffb 08-27-2008 12:44 PM

People that say championships don't matter to the owners as long as they make money (bottom line) make me laugh.Championships bring in more money then a lack of playoff success.The more success the more money.

Benzo 08-27-2008 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 52521)
Good at making money, which is all fine and dandy, but he sticks his nose into hockey matters, and he has no right to. All of the decisions a GM makes - with the obvious exception of Bryan - have to be run past Peddie and the board.

So, you made my point for me. He's very good at his job of making money. They don't give a shit what else he does and how badly he damages the team and as far as I'm concerned, that makes them - the OTTP, CTVglobemedia, TD and Kilmer - bad owners.

I suppose it would all depend on where their responsibilities lie....with the fans , or the board?

The board would say they are great owners.

Aar_Canada 08-27-2008 12:48 PM

Well, the thread's called "Do we have the worst owners in sports?"

Am I at the board members message board?

"...in a 2008 survey by ESPN The Magazine on rewarding fans, the Leafs were ranked 121st out of the 122 professional teams in the Big Four leagues. Teams were graded by stadium experience, ownership, player quality, ticket affordability, championships won and "bang for the buck"; in particular, the Leafs came last in ticket affordability."

MikeToronto 08-27-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aar_Canada (Post 52526)
Well, the thread's called "Do we have the worst owners in sports?"

Am I at the board members message board?

"...in a 2008 survey by ESPN The Magazine on rewarding fans, the Leafs were ranked 121st out of the 122 professional teams in the Big Four leagues. Teams were graded by stadium experience, ownership, player quality, ticket affordability, championships won and "bang for the buck"; in particular, the Leafs came last in ticket affordability."

And yet the seats are sold out, what, three years in advance? :confused:

If Toronto hockey fans are dissatisfied with the product, they should vote the only way these guys would feel it - with their money spent elsewhere.

Superjudge 08-27-2008 01:01 PM

whatever.

Hocket is canada's game.

Toronto is the 4 million person strong hockey center of the universe.

how the fuck are you gonna ask the people not to head to the ACC to watch a game.

I get so tired of the boring and inaccurate argument that leaf fans are ignorant.

quite the opposite, there's just about 2 million of them.

Aar_Canada 08-27-2008 01:02 PM

What's hocket?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24