Dino Nation Blog: Breaking it Down
Old 08-04-2009, 03:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
convinced that Raptors fans are only happy when they're unhappy.

Retired Administrator
 
Dr. J. Naismith's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Almonte
Posts: 12,770
Representing:
Default Dino Nation Blog: Breaking it Down



Quote:
Originally Posted by James Borbath
Here we go the Schedule is out and time to break it down. What a way to get it started. It had been rumoured for well over a week. King James and Shaq will open there NBA partnership in Toronto.

November-16 games and 2 in October.

8 home dates and 10 road dates.


You are going to find out what this Raptors are all about early. If the Raptors exit November at .500 or better this team really could be very good. You will get to see Vince Carter and Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic twice. The Suns also will be facing the Raptors twice. Along with a number of other playoff teams from last season. We also will see the top 2 picks in the NBA draft in Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet. Chuck Swirsky and the Bulls hit T-dot on November 11th. This is going to be a serious test to start this season. Jay Triano will really have a challenge to get his first full year as head coach. San Antonio, Dallas, Denver and Detroit are all on the schedule too. This will be really interesting to watch. A four game west coast trip should tell us a lot about this team facing ( Clippers, Suns, Nuggets and Jazz)

December-15 games

8 home dates and 7 road dates


December sees the Raptors face the Wizards, Hawks and Pistons twice.The Pistons will be an extended back to back before and after the Christmas break (December 24-26) .There is 9 games in total vs the Southwest Division. I feel that this could be the best division in the Eastern Conference. A stretch from the 5th to the 9th could be key where Raps will play Chicago, Minnesota and Milwaukee. Those are 3 games that the Raptors need to get. Depending on how things get started the Raptors may be fighting an uphill battle after a very tough opening to the schedule. Raptors have to come out of December with a winning record if they have any thoughts of being a contender for a home court advantage playoff spot. They likely could be battling Atlanta for that 4th spot in the east.

January -15 games

7 home dates and 8 road dates


2010 start with a bang taking on the Boston Celtics in Boston on January 2nd. San Antonio, Orlando and Philadelphia all on the sked before a re-match with the Celtics on January 10th at the A.C.C. That is not exactly an easy start to the new year is it? Add in the defending champion Lakers making their lone visit the the A.C.C on the 24th. Another month in which the Raptors would or should be happy if they can get out of it with a winning record. 2 games vs Knicks, Pacers and Bucks become must wins for the Raptors given the number of good teams they have to face beyond that.

February-10 games

7 home dates and 3 road dates


If the Raptors do not go anything short of 8-2 in this month this season is in serious trouble. It gets no easier than this. Not just the fact that there is 7 home dates. But the competition level goes off a cliff. Portland, Cleveland and perhaps Washington and Philadelphia are the 4 games that will be a challenge. The rest is games that you better win type games. If the Raptors are truly playing at a high level this could easily be a month that they can win 9 games. Given what they faced coming to this point they will need to get as many wins as possible to but some distance between themselves and the .500 mark. No losing to Oklahoma City this year can happen where the Raptors will close out the month on the 28th.

March- 16 games

7 home dates and 9 road dates


March features a 4 game west coast swing that starts in L.A with the defending champion Lakers and ends in Portland with the young talented Blazers. Stops in Sacramento and Oakland to take on the Kings and Warriors in between that. This happens from the 9th-14th. The good news is they will have a few days to recover for the Hawks who the Raptors will take on March 17th (wearing those ugly green uniforms no doubt) for St/ Patrick's Day at the A.C.C. Some tough games mixed in with some easy games that Raptors must win. Utah and Denver visit the A.C.C late in the month on the 24th and 26th. This will be a challenging month but it will need to be a good one to establish the squad as a playoff team. If the Raptors can be firmly in the playoffs by the time they face the Clippers @ the A.C.C to close out the month.

April- 8 games

4 home dates and 4 road dates


No coasting into the playoffs for the Raptors in April. There are 5 games that should define this final stretch. Philadelphia(3rd), Cleveland (6th), Boston (7th), Atlanta (9th) and Detroit (12th). That 3 game stretch facing Cavs, Celtics and Hawks could really mean a lot and it could mean a lot. The Raps close out with 2 of the last 3 at home taking on Chicago with the road game vs Pistons and back home to close the season vs the N.Y Knicks.

That is it. Raptors will need to gel fast and be on the ball out of the gate. If they are not. It could be a season of playing catch-up the entire year. The Raptors need to be in a solid position by the time February hits to take advantage of a real turn in the schedule. Some will say that Raptors can take advantage of teams facing them early on. But let's not forget the Raptors will have 7 or 8 new faces to work together as well. Sam Mitchell had his struggles at first with a new group like this. He would turn it around and Raptors would win a Division Title. Triano will need to get this thing off to a better start than Sam did in that season. The East is not the same as it was back then. It is a lot better. In the end if you see the Raptors above .500 heading into 2010 this could be a very good season. If not the Raptors may have to scrap to secure a playoff spot that gives them a realistic chance to win a series. 6, 7 and 8 is not going to be any fun at all.
Source - Dino Nation Blog: Breaking it Down
Dr. J. Naismith is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
November-16 games and 2 in October.

8 home dates and 10 road dates.

You are going to find out what this Raptors are all about early. If the Raptors exit November at .500 or better this team really could be very good. You will get to see Vince Carter and Dwight Howard and the Orlando Magic twice. The Suns also will be facing the Raptors twice. Along with a number of other playoff teams from last season. We also will see the top 2 picks in the NBA draft in Blake Griffin and Hasheem Thabeet. Chuck Swirsky and the Bulls hit T-dot on November 11th. This is going to be a serious test to start this season. Jay Triano will really have a challenge to get his first full year as head coach. San Antonio, Dallas, Denver and Detroit are all on the schedule too. This will be really interesting to watch. A four game west coast trip should tell us a lot about this team facing ( Clippers, Suns, Nuggets and Jazz)
^^I predict an 8-10 record

Quote:
December-15 games

8 home dates and 7 road dates

December sees the Raptors face the Wizards, Hawks and Pistons twice.The Pistons will be an extended back to back before and after the Christmas break (December 24-26) .There is 9 games in total vs the Southwest Division. I feel that this could be the best division in the Eastern Conference. A stretch from the 5th to the 9th could be key where Raps will play Chicago, Minnesota and Milwaukee. Those are 3 games that the Raptors need to get. Depending on how things get started the Raptors may be fighting an uphill battle after a very tough opening to the schedule. Raptors have to come out of December with a winning record if they have any thoughts of being a contender for a home court advantage playoff spot. They likely could be battling Atlanta for that 4th spot in the east.
^^ I predict a 9-6 record

Quote:
January -15 games

7 home dates and 8 road dates

2010 start with a bang taking on the Boston Celtics in Boston on January 2nd. San Antonio, Orlando and Philadelphia all on the sked before a re-match with the Celtics on January 10th at the A.C.C. That is not exactly an easy start to the new year is it? Add in the defending champion Lakers making their lone visit the the A.C.C on the 24th. Another month in which the Raptors would or should be happy if they can get out of it with a winning record. 2 games vs Knicks, Pacers and Bucks become must wins for the Raptors given the number of good teams they have to face beyond that.
^^I predict a 10-5 record

Quote:
February-10 games

7 home dates and 3 road dates

If the Raptors do not go anything short of 8-2 in this month this season is in serious trouble. It gets no easier than this. Not just the fact that there is 7 home dates. But the competition level goes off a cliff. Portland, Cleveland and perhaps Washington and Philadelphia are the 4 games that will be a challenge. The rest is games that you better win type games. If the Raptors are truly playing at a high level this could easily be a month that they can win 9 games. Given what they faced coming to this point they will need to get as many wins as possible to but some distance between themselves and the .500 mark. No losing to Oklahoma City this year can happen where the Raptors will close out the month on the 28th.
^^ I predict a 7-3 record

Quote:
March- 16 games

7 home dates and 9 road dates

March features a 4 game west coast swing that starts in L.A with the defending champion Lakers and ends in Portland with the young talented Blazers. Stops in Sacramento and Oakland to take on the Kings and Warriors in between that. This happens from the 9th-14th. The good news is they will have a few days to recover for the Hawks who the Raptors will take on March 17th (wearing those ugly green uniforms no doubt) for St/ Patrick's Day at the A.C.C. Some tough games mixed in with some easy games that Raptors must win. Utah and Denver visit the A.C.C late in the month on the 24th and 26th. This will be a challenging month but it will need to be a good one to establish the squad as a playoff team. If the Raptors can be firmly in the playoffs by the time they face the Clippers @ the A.C.C to close out the month.
^^I predict a 9-7 record

Quote:
April- 8 games

4 home dates and 4 road dates

No coasting into the playoffs for the Raptors in April. There are 5 games that should define this final stretch. Philadelphia(3rd), Cleveland (6th), Boston (7th), Atlanta (9th) and Detroit (12th). That 3 game stretch facing Cavs, Celtics and Hawks could really mean a lot and it could mean a lot. The Raps close out with 2 of the last 3 at home taking on Chicago with the road game vs Pistons and back home to close the season vs the N.Y Knicks.

That is it. Raptors will need to gel fast and be on the ball out of the gate. If they are not. It could be a season of playing catch-up the entire year. The Raptors need to be in a solid position by the time February hits to take advantage of a real turn in the schedule. Some will say that Raptors can take advantage of teams facing them early on. But let's not forget the Raptors will have 7 or 8 new faces to work together as well. Sam Mitchell had his struggles at first with a new group like this. He would turn it around and Raptors would win a Division Title. Triano will need to get this thing off to a better start than Sam did in that season. The East is not the same as it was back then. It is a lot better. In the end if you see the Raptors above .500 heading into 2010 this could be a very good season. If not the Raptors may have to scrap to secure a playoff spot that gives them a realistic chance to win a series. 6, 7 and 8 is not going to be any fun at all.

^^I predict a 6-2 record


= 49-33 (4th place)

Last edited by jeffb; 08-04-2009 at 03:53 PM.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
is tired of all the Jose hating on this forum! sigh...

Senior Member
 
takman_777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: NorthWestern Ontario
Posts: 1,798
Representing:
Default

do you think we can squeeze 50 out of this schedule/? that would be cool...
takman_777 is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
In cleveland stalking Anthony Parker

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Malton
Posts: 188
Representing:
Default

If they win every game they're supposed to and lose every game they're likely to, the record should be, 46-36. (4th or 5th in east)
AP we miss you!!!!!!!!!!! is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP we miss you!!!!!!!!!!! View Post
If they win every game they're supposed to and lose every game they're likely to, the record should be, 46-36. (4th or 5th in east)
I agree. We could be a 45 win team or a 49-50 win team imo. We're in that range.
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 05:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
all right

Member
 
sixel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 267
Representing:
Default

just focus about one game at a time
sixel is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #7 (permalink)
a gearbox of epic proportions.

Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 1,051
Representing:
Send a message via MSN to B-RAD
Default

stop predicting our record at the end of the season when we haven't even played the first game of the season.

the question should be will we open up 1-0 or 0-1, not what our final record will be.
B-RAD is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 08:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
is pounding

Senior Member
 
VanCity's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,073
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
stop predicting our record at the end of the season when we haven't even played the first game of the season.

the question should be will we open up 1-0 or 0-1, not what our final record will be.
1-0....the cavs are overrated...
VanCity is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
is the baby faced assassin

Banned
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: YO MAMMA
Posts: 81,104
Representing:
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-RAD View Post
stop predicting our record at the end of the season when we haven't even played the first game of the season.

the question should be will we open up 1-0 or 0-1, not what our final record will be.
49-33
jeffb is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 08:45 PM   #10 (permalink)
the greatest raptor fan in history

Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 106
Representing:
Default

PREDICTION!! Raps 104 Cavs 86 REASON:

Early second quarter LeBron gives a fast (but slow) break ally-op pass to Shaq. He slams it hard, and all 350 pounds pull the net down and the shot clock falls on Lebrons head, he leaves the game and does not return.

Cavs sub in Jamario moon aka mini LeBron and it all goes downhill. AP has a solid game tho scoring 16 and pulling down 4 boards, with 3 assists.

Shaq than furiously after the game uses Jamario Moon as his tooth pick to clear out all of the BBQ chicken ala CB4 and Andrea.
Dr.Basketball is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 08:49 PM   #11 (permalink)
Captain of the Jamario Moon fan club.

Born Unready
 
Dark Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Electric Avenue
Posts: 15,552
Representing:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Basketball View Post
PREDICTION!! Raps 104 Cavs 86 REASON:

Early second quarter LeBron gives a fast (but slow) break ally-op pass to Shaq. He slams it hard, and all 350 pounds pull the net down and the shot clock falls on Lebrons head, he leaves the game and does not return.

Cavs sub in Jamario moon aka mini LeBron and it all goes downhill. AP has a solid game tho scoring 16 and pulling down 4 boards, with 3 assists.

Shaq than furiously after the game uses Jamario Moon as his tooth pick to clear out all of the BBQ chicken ala CB4 and Andrea.
Sounds about right :P
Dark Knight is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
Old 08-04-2009, 10:33 PM   #12 (permalink)
hibernating

Retired Administrator
 
Benzo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 4,990
Representing:
Default

Unreadable.....not the seasons results, the blog, unreadable.
Benzo is offline   Boss Key Wife Key
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dino Nation Blog: Why B.C Is The Man Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 68 08-12-2009 09:06 AM
Dino Nation Blog: August Pot Luck Blog Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 10 08-03-2009 05:06 PM
Dino Nation Blog: Pasta For 2? Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 2 07-30-2009 07:08 PM
Kudos from the Dino Nation Blog Dr. J. Naismith Toronto Raptors 0 11-11-2008 01:38 PM
Dino Nation Blog Looks At Roster For 08/09 Dino Blogger Toronto Raptors 7 07-30-2008 04:18 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright RaptorsForum.com 2005-2011

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24